PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking Gender. Newsweek Magazine

Lawren
05-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Found this in Newsweek magazine online.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18618970/site/newsweek/

Michelia
05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
It is encouraging seeing our issues brought up in such a well circulated news magazine. The article seemed comprehensive enough and un-biased. I found the punchline at the end poignant and oh so true.

Michelia

cdbrandi
05-13-2007, 06:07 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18618970/site/newsweek/

it is a good read, and about 4 pages long.
Just thought I would share

Melinda G
05-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Doesn't seem to have much to do with crossdressing. Seems more for the transgender crowd.

AmberTG
05-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Well, that was definitely worth reading, and yes, it covers transgender issues and not cross-dressing issues as such.

Leah B
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Doesn't the word "transgender" cover people who aren't transsexuals? In the community it would appear so, but the media uses it interchangeably with transsexual.

JulieC
05-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Doesn't the word "transgender" cover people who aren't transsexuals? In the community it would appear so, but the media uses it interchangeably with transsexual.

I don't think we need to get hung up on labels. That can contribute to repression. "They are not like us, they are transsexuals!" etc..etc...

We're all different. It's about accepting us all, regardless of differences.

Carin's Wife GG
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't think we need to get hung up on labels. That can contribute to repression. "They are not like us, they are transsexuals!" etc..etc...

We're all different. It's about accepting us all, regardless of differences.

for me and just me I find it esier to think of my SO as TG rather than a crossdresser. To me crossdressing is ONLY about the clothing, TG is so much more.

Louise.

Dasein9
05-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Nothing at all about FTM's in the article. :(

KatieC
05-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Are you sure? I thought I saw as many references to transmen as to transwomen in the article. Including a couple of paragraphs talking about a school in MA (Smith college?) that, while still requiring that one be female to enter it, now has rules and policies to allow for transmen to stay and graduate.

-K

Bonnie D
05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Transgender covers the whole spectrum which is quite broad.

The more positive exposure the better for the whole community. I liked the article but I don't see why she can't race again. That would be like saying women can't race cars, and that is not true.

Bonnie

Dasein9
05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
A couple in pictures, but their stories aren't told. Just a quote.

So, I exaggerrated a bit, but unintentionally. (Photos take forever to load for me.)

NatalieBliss
05-14-2007, 01:55 PM
thanks for posting that it is a great article!

gennee
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Thank you, Lawren. I will be making some copies to put in the LGBT community center.

Gennee

:happy:

AmberTG
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote" for me and just me I find it esier to think of my SO as TG rather than a crossdresser. To me crossdressing is ONLY about the clothing, TG is so much more." unquote

I would agree with this statement, not that there is anything wrong with being "just a cross-dresser", it's still an expression of your femme side, which most males have to some extent. It's just that cross-dressers like being men in their non-femme time, where a TG person, MTF or FTM, has at least some desire to actually be the other sex physically. Personally, I'd say that's where the difference is. I've often wished that I was just a cross-dresser and that I enjoyed being a man, but I don't, so I'm stuck in the middle, not happy with either and forced to spend way more money then I have to try to align my body more closely to my gender ID. For me, to be "only a CDer" would be a blessing, I could be comfortable as a man and just enjoy my "frillies" when I felt like it.

Alex R
05-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Doesn't seem to have much to do with crossdressing. Seems more for the transgender crowd.

Are we not all shavings off the same block?

Danielle11
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Did anyone go further than the article and read the comments? Wherever you fit into our community, it is still a very ugly world we are forced to deal with.

Danielle

NatalieBliss
05-14-2007, 04:13 PM

granted there wasn't much but there was a FtM pic and a section about transmen at Smith college.

ErikaLeigh
05-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Mods: If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18618970/site/newsweek/?GT1=9951

I am still reading through it, but its interesting so far.

ErikaLeigh
05-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry, I didnt see that someone had already posted the link.

AmberTG
05-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Actually, I thought the part of the article on transmen was quite interesting.

Lessa Lynn Young
05-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Transgender covers the whole spectrum which is quite broad.

The more positive exposure the better for the whole community. I liked the article but I don't see why she can't race again. That would be like saying women can't race cars, and that is not true.

Bonnie

Being a racer and as much as I hate to admit it, racing is still a bit of a good ole' boy sport. While life may be a bit different at our track there are still a few who have issues with the lady that does race there, they are just afraid to be vocal about it. Besides that if she is still working for 8 bucks an hour she couldn't by the fuel (6's bucks a gallon locally) for a weekend and still have a roof over her head let alone the rest of the stuff she sold off for surgery. There is a saying in the racing world that goes like this " The only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big fortune" and watch it dwindle from there. Hope that gives you an idea.

Dasein9
05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Ah, I see. For some reason, last night page 5 wouldn't load for me.

Byllie
05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I too had read the article and though I found it encouraging, that it was even written, I'm disappointed that the view of TG is so narrow. Is not the TG community a multi-dimensional tapestry? And are we not all somewhere in the weave?

MistyCD
05-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Hello everybody, there is an interesting article in Time or Newsweek magazine about Transgenderism. Very well written and very informative. Even if you are only a CD and not TG, you should read it...

Hugs Misty

jsoto81
05-19-2007, 10:34 PM
So I was at barnes and noble tonight looking for some books and I saw the newest issue of Newsweek Magazine.

On the front has a baby in a pink and blue jumper. The headline reads: The Gender Mystery: Aside from the obvious, what makes us male or female? The new visibility of Transgender america is shedding light on the ancient riddle of identity.

I highly recommend everyone to jump on this news article right away. For those of you who miss it I'm thinking of posting the whole article up on my blog if anyone is interested.

Cai
05-19-2007, 10:37 PM
I'd be very interested! I'll have to see if I can pick up a copy of Newsweek.

Talon DeRojo
05-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the heads-up.
Talon:happy:

AmberTG
05-20-2007, 03:16 AM
I picked up the issue today at Walmart. It's actually pretty well written and includes both MTFs and FTMs. The article was on the website, I read it there first, I don't know if the link is still posted but it might be.

Felix
05-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Hun can ya give us the link please xx Felix :hugs:

Tristan
05-20-2007, 07:31 AM
I saw the article on newsweek's website. It was pretty good just do not look at the comments.

boygirl
05-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I too have been reading the issue, and i find it a breath, of fresh air, to see us represented much more then in the past.
And it is very nice to see, that there is a character- in the movies Shrek3.
It is very nice that we are getting recognized much more, i feel we deserve it.
And also, in my state of Vermont- the Legislature- has been trying to have a bill written up to help protect Transgender people, in my state.

Chrissy

Cai
05-20-2007, 08:30 AM
The article is on the newsweek website here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18618970/site/newsweek/