PDA

View Full Version : should i go to the harry potter book launch en femme?

Hermione Simpson
05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
i know it's 2 months away (but it's best to plan early), but should i go to it dressed as my namesake as i've got most of the uniform (all i need is a robe) or should i go drab, tell me what you think i should do

TV Wannabe
05-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Do it hon.

MJ
05-14-2007, 03:11 PM
well if you ask me i would say NO as there are children going to be around so not a good idea

no matter how hard we try we will never pass 100% and that could be bad for all of us

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
unless you are TS and full time therefore have no choice then i would say no, as MJ says there will be children around.....that is not the time to be playing dress up

Leah B
05-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Do it. Cross-play is common at nerdy-type events like these, enough so that there's a word for it :). I used to work at a bookstore and at the last HP launch there were plenty of people dressed as their favoirte characters of the opposite gender.

Really, Harry Potter launches have a carnival atmosphere, where people fully expect (or hope?) to see unusual things.

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Really, Harry Potter launches have a carnival atmosphere, where people fully expect (or hope?) to see unusual things.
the launches might be like that in the US, but they are not here in the UK, which is where Hermoine is

RobertaFermina
05-14-2007, 04:15 PM
I think that I would not *SURPRISE* reveal myself Enfemme to children who to whom I am a relative, or godparent. Less concerned about school-aged kids and younger, more concerned about adolescents, especially those struggling with their own sexual changes and identity.

Case in point. I crossdress to church at least once a month. It is a noticeable problem for some men in the fellowship, but not for women and children. Parents are able to educate their kids about transgender issues in discussins stimulated by my presence in church.

After a period of discussion and dialogue with such closely related/connected adolescents, it may become safe to reveal myself. That is, enough dialogue to answer their questions and put them at ease that this is MY STUFF and not theirs, and enough to know that they would not be seriously harmed by my presence.
:rose: Roberta :rose:

Leah B
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Really Kieron? So people don't show up in costume for launches at all? I'd think that there would at least be a few bookstores with events (THe B&N I worked at had events and announced to the media). Would Hermione really be the only person in costume? That would surprise me, especially for the seventh book! But you'd probably know better than me what's the deal in England.

On a seperate issue, what difference does it make if kids are there? Is it that parents might complain about a person being in drag, or is it that someone in costume is making too big a spectacle?

Tamara Croft
05-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Leah, let's put it this way.... the middle of Nottingham isn't the place to go dressed up enfemme... especially in the day. And, since this is a kids thing, I'm sure their parents wouldn't be too happy with a guy turning up dressed as Hermoine, it's just not the done thing. Sorry, but it's their day... not an excuse to go out dressed up.

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Leah many people in society still tar cders with the pedophile name so going somewhere like that dressed, when there will be hundreds of kids around would not be a good idea, think before you act, its common decency!.......its effing common sense!! :rolleyes:

KrazyKat
05-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Leah, what part of the midwest USa do you live in, because I could see this being a problem over here in Indiana. Mama Bear's get very protective of their children around here, and like Kieron said, many are very ignorant and consider it the same level of preverts as child molestors. Are you in the same midwest?

Gnome Queen Sam
05-14-2007, 08:07 PM
YES GO FOR IT IF :Party2: YOU GOT IT DO IT

MadisonLee
05-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Hmm well if everyone dresses up at a event then I would say ok but if you are going to be the only one than I wouldnt since you would stick out really easy.

the term would be called Cosplay. anime and sci fi convections people dress up in either gender but mostly in anime ones because well anime you cant tell sometimes if its a guy or girl anyway on the anime show.

Anime North 2007 is coming to Toronto, Ontario, I know there will be lots of people in costumes off the opposite sex. They have events on the best costumes and events on best shot performance in a group in costume its kinda of neat to watch. I guess dressing enfemme is kind like cosplay to me in a sense :) I live in a place where there is kids everywhere main in the age bracket of 4-14 , they all seen me dressed up but on Halloween. I get no bad comments just like how to you walk in heels and I just say with practice and then I get a weird look hehe its fun to see.

TxKimberly
05-14-2007, 09:56 PM
i know it's 2 months away (but it's best to plan early), but should i go to it dressed as my namesake as i've got most of the uniform (all i need is a robe) or should i go drab, tell me what you think i should do

On the one hand, you would like to think that given the topic, the people you are likely to run into will be open minded. On the other hand there will be a lot of children there, and thanks to decade of TV and movies that portray us as phsyco rapist murderers, you risk a parent getting concerned or over protective. Not pretty, but you DID ask!
Kim

trannie T
05-14-2007, 11:45 PM
If it is going to be a large event, do it, there should be others there in character. Be sure to be somewhat conservative, don't dress like a hooker in front of a bunch of kids and their parents.

Leah B
05-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Well, I'm in Saint Paul/Minneapolis, which is the largest metro area in the upper midwest by a big margin (unless you count Chicago as upper midwest). I'm guessing large cities are more tolerant of, or at least more used to seeing, crossdressing. I don't know where in Indiana you are, but I'm sure it's quite different. There's a fair bit of geography between us.

Speaking of America in general though, big nerdy events bring out a lot of spectacle. There IS a lot of crossover between Potter fans and animé fans, and cross-play is quite common at animé events.

Really, if you expect to see a lot of people in costume, expect people to dress as their favorite characters of either gender. Do people get weird on halloween when guys are in drag?

If it's unwise to try this in Nottingham, it's unwise. If it's a risk worth taking anyway, take it. Could you expect to be chased off beat up or arrested? Don't go. Just sneers? Maybe go. Is it a small town where your rep could be destroyed (although I suspect it isn't a small town)? Don't go.

KimberlyS
05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Hermione, I would look at it this way. Would you perceive this as a kids event or an adults event. I know there will most likely be fans of all ages there, but my guess is this is going to be a kids event. Now your age being you are younger will have some to do with it. Being 24 and going would be much better than if you were a 60 year old.

My rule of thumb going out is I generally just go about my business and do not try to avoid kids and families like in mall and other situations. I may say 'Hi' as I pass, but mostly just stay focused on what I am doing. But I do try to avoid any potential conflicts by staying out of stores geared to younger and teen kids. I will leave the lingerie department when a mother with younger kids invades my comfort zone. I will try to steer away from larger groups of just kids but do not outright avoid them. Obvious avoidance is just asking for attention.

I just say be smart in where and how you CD and do not go looking for problems. Would you go into a red neck, leather or biker bar, a conservative bible thumbing church service? IMHO most places are fairly accepting, but also think of how much you may be pushing it and the risks involved. We want to push for acceptance and not make the news for being even a potential pervert. Once it hits the news, you are in most peoples minds, even if you are not.

fionasboots
05-15-2007, 03:46 PM
I would have to agree with my the opinion of the UK crowd so far; something like this really isn't the place to be dressed up. Of course if it was the launch event specifically for the adult version of this, or any other book then I'd say it would be fine.

Think of it this way; as a parent taking their child to this event would you want to see an adult dressed as one of the child characters - it would be irrelevant (objectively) whether the adult concerned was male/female/TS/TG it just wouldn't be appropriate.

If you feel you must dress up then possibly picking one of the adult characters may not be such a big deal - however you could end up tending towards the "Dame" look if you're not too careful.

How about organising a private fancy-dress party for friends with the Harry Potter theme? That would seem an ideal excuse to dress as any character you like.

trannie T
05-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I was going to go as Hagrid's girlfriend.

Hermione Simpson
05-16-2007, 12:54 AM
a lot of people have told me to go drab, so if i do, should i dress as hermione at home when i read it as no one will see me

fionasboots
05-16-2007, 02:47 AM
a lot of people have told me to go drab, so if i do, should i dress as hermione at home when i read it as no one will see me

Personally I don't intend to waste any time worrying about what I am wearing, I just want to get the book, then read and find out what happens!

I think I would only be inclined to dress up as a character while reading the book if I could in some way identify with them or want to look/be like them. At 34 I am twice Hermione's age in this last book and I think any attempt by me to look/act like her would be totally unsuccessful and frankly creepy!

I guess at 24 you can actually still remember being 17 so it's maybe not such a big deal and you could probably make a much more convincing Hermione than me, so go for it :D

faltenrock
05-16-2007, 03:13 AM
Just do it.

I still have some things I want to do. I want to take a ferry ride this year and I'ld like to visit a museum.

It might probably take another few months to do it.

Doreen

Shelly Preston
05-16-2007, 03:54 AM
A book launch for a book aimed at children is not the place to go enfemme

It could be disasterous one complaint and will you most likely be asked to leave
Remember this is for children not you by all means go in costume to a fancy dress party or a adult book launch

Why take a chance on spoiling things for them and you :(

Angie G
05-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Hermione if you look good and can pass then go for it :hugs:
Angie

RobertaFermina
05-16-2007, 04:40 AM
I am noticing that the voice AGAINST going EnFemme is diverse and quite strong. Enough to give me pause.

Perhaps you are not asking the best advisers.

Why not ask Ms. Rowling, or her publicists ? There is time.

If they said YES! it would afford all the cover you need.

If they said NO! well.....NO!

If they said nothing, you are still on your own.

Nothing to lose, and I'm sure they don't bite !

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Sharon
05-16-2007, 05:15 AM
I don't understand this "protect the children" stuff at all. Unless the crossdresser wanting to attend the book launch is some sort of lecherous pedophiliac perv (and I'll assume you aren't Hermione:happy: ), then what is accomplished by sheltering children from yourselves? Children see all sorts of things in assorted films and television, so where is the harm in seeing a "normal" person wearing clothes normally associated with the other gender? I encounter young children all the time and, although they sometimes stare a bit longer than adults do, I don't believe I have ever traumatized a single one.

Besides, most people who go to these Harry Potter launches, which to my recollection seem to be scheduled at midnight, are usually attended by teens and adults.

Hermione Simpson
05-16-2007, 05:58 AM
even though it's book 7 instead of me going in a uniform, should i go as she's dressed in the POA movie, as all i need to buy is a pink top as i've already got jeans tell me what you think

fionasboots
05-16-2007, 08:18 AM
even though it's book 7 instead of me going in a uniform, should i go as she's dressed in the POA movie, as all i need to buy is a pink top as i've already got jeans tell me what you think

How about just going as you dressed en femme without any reference to Hermione in the book?

I think, to take Sharon's "protect the children" point, my objection is not, though I imagine some peoples might be, that it's a cross dresser, it's more that it's an adult trying to dress as a child.

I think Roberta has actually come up with the best suggestion so far - ask JK Rowling (or the PR reps) what their opinion is. I guess that any events are going to be big and they are maybe expecting and encouraging all sorts of people and publicity to be there.

In fact, if you were completely open with them and explained exactly what you intended to wear (provide pics maybe) then they may be more than happy for you and others to help them out by adding publicity to their events!

Leah B
05-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Oh the KIDS would be fine, it's the parents who get all bent out of shape.

KimberlyS
05-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't understand this "protect the children" stuff at all.

Sharon, after reading your statement I had to go back and re-read the posts. And I still do not understand where you get it from. I get from the posts that is is to protect Hermione Simpson and in general the TG image. Still most of society gets their image of TG's from the news and not the good news either. Parents can be very protective of there kids as several have said also.

We understand what most of us TG/Cders are not "some sort of lecherous pedophiliac perv", but many do not and a parent protecting their young is not going to listen to any reason when they are in protective mode. They will make snap protective decisions based on what they know. And if you have one go into protective mode in an area full of kids and parents, watch out is all I can say. Is it worth the chance? It may be to Hermione.

For myself I see that as a high risk situation. I think of it like this. If you were at a place with lots of kids an a guy showed up dressed as a little girl and was mixing with the kids. What would be your first thought??? As a parent mine would at a minimum be at least one of alert and caution at a minimum without knowing any more details. Hermione being young would help a lot over a mid 30's plus person. The older the worse it would be.

And for me if it would have been 10 or more years ago my minimum would have been, pervert, get my kids out of there and let the other parents know. Because that is what I thought of myself and worse.

But that said, I do know at least one GG here that has the "protect the children" stand for CDers going out and being in public areas that may have children. And I would like to see some other GG's view of this.

KimberlyS
05-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I will ditto Roberta and Fiona, contacting the Author. Being part of publicity and making an entrance will make it a non-issue. And who knows they may have you do something like hand out pictures or other publicity material. And be ready for some pictures if you go being part of publicity or not.

laura47
05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I have to say no as there will kids

Melinda G
05-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Errr, ummm, why go to a Harry Potter Book Launch at all?

Hermione Simpson
05-17-2007, 11:56 AM
why i asked should i go as hermione from POA instead yesterday, is because i think i'll be able to pass more as they might think that i'm a girl who's not in costume rather than being fount out if i went in a school uniform, let me know what you think?

Dixie
05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
As far as dressing around children the only real problems stem from their ignorant uninformed parents. That is the only problem I see with it.

fionasboots
05-17-2007, 03:36 PM
As far as dressing around children the only real problems stem from their ignorant uninformed parents. That is the only problem I see with it.

I don't see a problem actually dressing en femme per se, you're absolutely right that the only people that would take issue are maybe those who are slightly less informed.

Mind you with the number of people that are likely to turn up to get this book your chances of running into the ones that will get upset are obviously that much higher!

It's just the dressing as a kid that is the issue - Hermione, you're probably right that the POA outfit is going to be less conspicuous but I suspect you would then have to be content with just yourself knowing you were in a particular outfit, no-one else would really know.

Why don't you post some pics of the two possible costumes here and then we can all get a better idea of *exactly* what you're thinking of? All I can imagine is normal jeans+top (bit plain) or something like St Trinnians at the other extreme!

fionasboots
05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Errr, ummm, why go to a Harry Potter Book Launch at all?

Heretic!

:cheeky:

Hermione Simpson
05-18-2007, 12:55 AM
fionasboots the reason i havent put any pictures of the looks im looking at is although ive tried to i cant

Hermione Simpson
05-18-2007, 01:10 AM
i know some of you have said no but could you explain the difference between a over 30's man dressing as a teenage girl on tv and what i want to do, i know they'll be children their but surely they've seen worse on tv

cindychan
05-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Well, from what I gather Harry Potter is getting pretty mature, so I'd have no problem shown up in drag.

Bridget Fitzgerald
05-18-2007, 08:18 AM
If its legal and you can deal with any attitudes go for it. As far as children? Their parents will just have to teach them to hate on their own. I was exposed to plenty of women with boy haircuts and mens style clothes as a kid. All that happened is I grew up to crossdress like they did.

Leah B
05-19-2007, 12:32 AM
For what it's worth, Hermione would be 18 by the time of the final book. No longer a child.

carolinewalker_2000
05-19-2007, 04:10 AM
have to say I tend to agree with most of the others; probably not a good idea - sounds fun though! You could always buy the book, invite some friends round and have a reading session in character?!!

tina_cd48
05-19-2007, 06:07 AM
I've been to these, and the large numbers of kids and moms would suggest that it's not a great idea (unless your community is extremely tolerant).