PDA

View Full Version : Is this wrong?

Valerie Nicole
05-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey everyone, I have a minor moral dilemma and I would like to know what you all think of it. My sister recently cleared out her room of clothes she doesn't want anymore. They are currently in a garbage bag, awaiting a trip to goodwill. Thing is...I'm hard up for fem items. Would it be wrong of me to do a little bit of free shopping in these garbage bags? I've done it before (with one top). I felt guilty briefly, but eventually I just grew used to having the top. Do you think it would be wrong to do what I really really want to do here? Thank you all in advance for your words of wisdom. :hugs:

Karren H
05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
If it's heading out the door then it's fair game.... substitue a few of your old male things for what ever you take out and call it even!!! hehe

Love Karren

Glenda58
05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Been there done that with the old girl friend. Now have 4 dresses and 3 tops plus 2 skirts. Like Karren said once out the door it's fair game.

Valerie Nicole
05-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Okay, lol, I didn't need much convincing. It was a somewhat successful raid. Two new dresses. New skirt (my only full length). Other odds and ends. This might satisfy my urge to shop until I can find employment.

Ashley1
05-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Charity begins at home!:hugs:
:love:
Ashley

susie evans
05-14-2007, 10:07 PM
i agree with karren and ashley and besides if you ask maby your sister will have even more to contribute to your cause :heehee:

susie

Stephenie S
05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah, hon. Ask your sister. See if next time she donates she can give you first dibs.

Steph

Valerie Nicole
05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Can't ask the sister just yet. Probably sometime this summer...but not yet. She doesn't know about me, and for now, that's the way it has to be.

christina marie
05-14-2007, 10:18 PM
always raid the goodwill bags! wifes sense of fashion changes almost monthly, so find myself tossing some of my old femme stuff in there just to make room for new stuff.

Wenda
05-14-2007, 10:34 PM
So, if you took it down to Salvation Army or Thrift Store or whatever, and let them unpack it and put price tags on them and hang them out and then bought them, would that make the process any better? I imagine your sister is just getting rid of stuff she doesn't use, and doesn't really consider it a donation in the purest sense. If you're in doubt, drop a few extra dollars in the Salvation Army Kettle next Christmas. In the meantime, enjoy your stuff! :happy:

MJ
05-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Take , Take , Take. get everything you can . hell i take the whole bag and say i took it to good will :heehee:

Sheila
05-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Jessica,
why not ask your sister if you could take some for someone you know who is unemployed and would appreciate them.:hugs:

trannie T
05-14-2007, 11:12 PM
You owe a donation to the Goodwill, either in clothes or in money.

Sally2005
05-15-2007, 01:14 AM
If you donate them once you are finished with them, then it is just borrowing.

I have this reverse fear about having been given some hand me downs... My wife gave me some stuff in the past (for halloween) in common storage, but it is now in my private stash which is hidden away...so what do I say if she looks at the halloween stuff and asks where my girl stuff is?:eek: ...ummmmm, I have a private stash...I think not! :D

Laurie909
05-15-2007, 01:40 AM
I gave some of my clothes to my cousin (female) to donate to the Vietnam Vet's so she could claim the deduction on her income tax. The catch was that I didn't tell her they were MY clothes. I told her they came from a girl I knew that left them at my house, then moved out of town. Though she was glad to get the donation, she kept asking me WHY she would leave the clothes. I have some more I'd like to give her but I don't want to play another round of "20 questions."

Sheri 4242
05-15-2007, 04:47 AM
I vote for your keeping what you want!

Kelsy
05-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Take , Take , Take. get everything you can . hell i take the whole bag and say i took it to good will :heehee:

That's too funny:lol:

Jennifer:heehee:

Raychel
05-15-2007, 05:51 AM
My whole coming out to my wife started with a bag of stuff that she throwing away. I just could not bear to see those items in the trash. That is when I first told her about my love for lingerie. Some of those items ended up being my first. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Annesah
05-15-2007, 06:23 AM
My sister and I joke that our genes did not set us up for hand me downs or trades. She has three skirts and thirty pairs of pants. I have three pairs of pants and thirty skirts. :rolleyes:

Michelle 51
05-15-2007, 08:58 AM
You may as well go for it . If you feel guilty next time you go shopping at Goodwill make a small donation.At least you can browse at your leisure without people staring at you for going through women's clothing. Justabit

JoAnnDallas
05-15-2007, 09:33 AM
This how I got my current warddrove started. When I first came to Dallas back in 2005, I was staying at my sister's house. She was collecting clothing items for her Chruch Colthing drive. When she was at work, I browsed thru the bags. It was like I was a kid in a candy store. Guess the PINK Fog hit me, LOL Anyway, I found two dresses, two skirts, three tops, two sets of PJ's, panties, bra's, slips, and three pair of shoes. I have sense added to my collection from Sears, VS, thrift shops, Goodwill, and occasional throw aways.

MsEva
05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
If it's heading out the door then it's fair game.... substitue a few of your old male things for what ever you take out and call it even!!! hehe

Love Karren

Have to agree with sister Karren! Finders keepers.

christy26cd1
05-15-2007, 06:57 PM
I look at is as: you can either get it for free or pay goodwill for it. Consider them hand me downs.

Valerie Nicole
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I did the raid, as I already said. Thanks to all you I feel almost no guilt about it, and I have some new clothes. Wish I could raid her closet though. :heehee: She has some clothes that I would loooove.

Seville
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
If YES, go for it!
If not, get your own stuff.

sandy_folsom
05-15-2007, 11:51 PM
I did the raid, as I already said. Thanks to all you I feel almost no guilt about it, and I have some new clothes. Wish I could raid her closet though. :heehee: She has some clothes that I would loooove.

Just make sure she doesn't see you in the clothes she gave away. That might be the makings of a sitcom.

Lawren
05-16-2007, 06:51 AM
In that type of situation I always volunteer to take the clothes to Goodwill myself. Of course, they never get there without being waylayed at my home. :D

erickka
05-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Done the same thing when collecting for neighborhood sales. Looked through the bags, grabbed some nice stuff, and whatever didn't sell went to Goodwill along with a cash donation from me. I think that's "Fair Dinkum" as the aussie ads for Outback steakhouse would say.

gennee
05-16-2007, 08:19 AM
If my wife ever decided to give away some clothes, I would gladly take them off her hands :D .

Gennee

immike
05-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone, I have a minor moral dilemma and I would like to know what you all think of it. My sister recently cleared out her room of clothes she doesn't want anymore. They are currently in a garbage bag, awaiting a trip to goodwill. Thing is...I'm hard up for fem items. Would it be wrong of me to do a little bit of free shopping in these garbage bags? I've done it before (with one top). I felt guilty briefly, but eventually I just grew used to having the top. Do you think it would be wrong to do what I really really want to do here? Thank you all in advance for your words of wisdom. :hugs:

It's fine! I always watch for skirts,slacks,tops,shoes my mother would
be donating to Goodwill.I got a magnificent pair of black heels she was
about to throw out.I wear them,along with pantyhose,as I raid mothers closet
and try on all her clothes,including her good skirts,tops&business suits.

KarenSusan
05-16-2007, 12:30 PM

Love Karren

:yt: Fine idea.

Lovely Rita
05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't even see the dilemma. If it is being thrown out it is there for the taking. Does it make any sense to end up in the trash heap instead of being put to good use.

Alice B
05-16-2007, 12:55 PM
If it fits then go for it. Just be sure your sister does not catch you in her hand me downs, or maybe you should let her catch you and next time she will make a direct offer of clothes to you?

njnikki
05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I also would say go for it........... Good to get some extra clothes...........

joanzie
05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Go for it, she doesn't want it anymore so its fair game:thumbsup:

battybattybats
05-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Weeeeeeell... ethically it could be considered stealing... it depends on how you want to look at it. Certainly if the end cost to the charity is what you feel makes it bad then you should either give the charity the likely cost that they would have charged for the clothes or give them other things of equal value. Of course this might have to be a crude estimation which makes it difficult to fully justify unless you can be sure of the price or be sure that you are overestimating.

Certainly there is no way I'd do that without compensating the charity.