PDA

View Full Version : Oh no - I've fallen off the horse!

Rachel Morley
05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
You know .... sometimes things in life don't go the way you think they will.

I'm almost at the end of my six day marathon of remaining en femme 24/7 and I've had a little bit of a jolt to my system because of a realization of just exactly where I am as a crossdresser, and my acceptance (or lack thereof) of myself. To cut to the chase, I didn't go to the nail salon for a manicure and pedicure. Why not? you may be wondering. The short answer is - I flaked :sad:

Here's what happened.

It was Monday morning and my wife Marla and I were all set to both go and get our nails done in a couple of hours time. I started getting this really tight feeling in my stomach and I didn't feel very good at all. I told Marla I was having second thoughts about going to the nail salon. Well, to cut long story short, we had a very long talk about just exactly what are my concerns about having a manicure when en femme. I told Marla that I didn't want to go to the nail salon that day or at any other time in the near future. I told her that I've come to the conclusion that I am just not ready for that level of interaction with the general public when I'm en femme because I'll have to speak to them. I said to her that I am totally ok and feel very confident about being out almost anywhere in public en femme, but that's because I don't interact one on one with people where I have to speak to them for extended periods.

She then said:
"Ah... I see, this is all about the speaking. Hypothetically, say you had a really good femme voice, would you be ok going to the nail salon?" Yes, I said. She continued "...and this is because if you had a good femme voice it would be less likely that you would be read? People would be more likely to think you were a woman?" Yes, I said. "Oh ok, I get it, you still have issues about people knowing, don't you? You are still not yet comfortable with people realizing you are transgendered and that's why interacting one on one is not good for you, because you are afraid of outing yourself." That's it exactly, I said.

Marla knows me so well. I then went on to say that she was dead right, and that for me, walking around in the public domain in a general sense is much easier because I don't have to speak or if I do, it's only for a very short time. Longer conversations give people more of an opportunity to detect me by my voice, and also a longer time to check me out. Yes, it's true.... I am still in the closet. I'm sorry, but I can't help it. I am what I am. I'm just nowhere near as emancipated as I thought I was. There I've said it! :sad:

Marla was very comforting about it all. She suggested we back off from pushing the envelope for a little while and that I just enjoy my dressing for what it is. Perhaps maybe later on we'll try working on my voice a little bit, but not right now. I feel relieved. I have fallen off the horse, I want to get back on .... but only on a pony! Crossdressing can be lots of different things to lots of different people, and I'm sorry to say I am not fully out of the closet. I might talk like I am an emancipated "out crossdresser" and intellectually I am kind of there, but emotionally I'm just not there yet.

Marla then shared with me that she had been told by others that perhaps I might one day have this problem because I always go out with her, and haven't experienced much independence, and therefore exposure to being read. It's true, being out en femme with a GG is cheating, and it makes passing seem easier, and when the GG in question is doing all the talking, the pressure is off. Also my slight frame at 5 ft 4 ins and 128 pounds goes a long way to helping me disappear into the background when we are out together. Of course at first Marla blamed herself for coddling me too much in the past, but I reassured her the shortcomings are all mine, and to be honest with you I'm slightly embarrassed to feel this way because it might seem like I'm ashamed to be a crossdresser. But I'm not, I love crossdressing and I like being out in public en femme, I'd just rather keep myself to myself and go at my own pace.

On a good note, I continued to stay en femme (I still am as I write this) and over the last two days we have continued to enjoy ourselves as "two girls" having fun. We've been to the movies and we also went on a cycle ride - both (of course) with me in girl mode. Finally, I'm not going to be too hard on myself, I've just come to realize I've got a little way to go before I can truthfully claim to be where others happily reside. Here's a couple of pics of me at the movies and just before our bike ride.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7484/rachelresized600qt1.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5096/one600widebd7.jpg

Kate Simmons
05-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm glad the two of you are having a good time Rachel. Don't worry about the voice thing, it will come in time or at least you will get more confidence. You are very dedicated. Anyway, I know you will be fine and will reach that goal eventually.:hugs:

dabs
05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Hey Rachel,

That's a very deep story. Which also has me thinking. I myself have been out in fem once. I walked to my car once at 3 in the morning hopein that nobody would drive by and see me. Yes I'm sure we all remember our first trip out. And there still are a lot of us who haven't. I personally will say I think the world of you to have the currage to go and enjoy the world in fem. I still dress in my apartment, and that's it. I have not even a little bit of currage you have. But to the point. You look beautiful and there is no reason to worrie!! I do understand the voice issue. But much like you have said, your probably going to prastice. And just lookin at your pictures I want to tell you I think you have no worries. If you still want to go and get your nails done. Tell your wife to find one of those places that only one of the people speaks english and you will be perfectly fine and that too would help take the steps to where you can go to a place that everybody speaks english and you can enjoy a conversation with them!

Good luck hun and lots of love your way,

Ash

MJ
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
awww thats not good , so you sound like a man , oh my god you have not heard me then ... well just for the record i was born a boy and got a guys voice and i am trans :eek: , it has not stoped me from doing anything ok the dress thing . Rachel you look great en femme just because your voice will give you away should not stop you my god you want to know my faults well watch what happens when i post them and see the replies and just for you i am going to post just to prove a point...
Rachel i wish i look as good as you and you have an understanding wife you have it made try again you can do it , remember i went to the salon in drab got my nails done and a brow wax and posted it how can i show you it's ok to be you

Mitch23
05-15-2007, 02:13 PM
your wife sounds amazing - i like her style. shes not going to let you off the hook. I think a lot of us go for the best bits and chicken out on the reality of whats its like to live as a girl. I'm pleased to see that she is concerned enough about you to encourage you out of your comfort zone. I am sort of making myself independent because i dont have a supportive wife and i dont have friends to go around with. stick with it and it will make you stronger. and you do look beautiful and very convincing!

mitch

KimberlyS
05-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Rachel, No you did not fall off the horse. You just were not ready for that trail ride and may never be ready for it or want to do it. Each and everyone in this world is different, not just CDers. Continue down the trails that you are comfortable with as those are who you are as a person. And enjoy your wonderful wife Marla for riding along with you and being flexible with your needs.

Joyciecd
05-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I was preparing to start a new string before I read this post. After going out en femme so much as I do I believe that you will overcome this really minor concern. What I was going to write about was this: I had two nice experiences within the past week. Last Friday I had a blind date at a strange restaurant. Of course I went en femme, longer black mini, long sleeved soft pink V neck top, strappy pink sandals, rings, dangly earrings, makeup, etc. I got there a few minutes early and was seated on the patio under a nice shady tree. I had two fem servers who attended me, both addressing me as ma'am. I had a couple coffees before the date appeared. When he did, we had a wonderful lunch, dawdling over more coffee for about and hour or so. As I left and we parted ways, we separated at the door to the ladies room - all that coffee lol - with a hug and a peck on his cheek. I went in - he went out lol.

On Sunday - Mothers Day - I stopped at a nice restaurant, this time en drab - business stuff - and when the fem server approached from the real she asked, "have you decided ma'am?" My long wavy hair had her completely fooled!

The point is, I believe that the more experience we have presenting en femme, the easier it becomes and the more confidence we exude.

Two other points: I have my nails and pedicure always done at the same shop, sometimes en femme and other times en drab, depending on what else I am doing that day. The women that work there seem to love me, and fuss over me the same way no matter how I am dressed. And I have had some really interesting conversations with the GG customers, dressed in either mode!

When I am going out on a 'special' event like the recent Transpitt Garden Party, I go to my haircutter en femme but without makeup, to have my hair shampooed and styled - who can get it perfect alone? - and one of the other operators does my makeup. Sometimes there are GG's in the shop, which always leads to interesting conversations. You may be surprised to learn that there are many GG's out there with an honest curiosity about CDing, who always treat me with respect and dignity when we cross paths at the beauty shop. They have a zillion honest questions, and I am happy to answer all. I have never had a bad experience with a GG in that setting.

Angie G
05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Rachel you can do it hun tha girls at the salon will vove you :hugs:
Angie

LindaTS
05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi Rachel,
I don't know if this will help but let me tell you of my experience. Years ago I used to go out with others and didn't have to worry about my voice. Fast forward to about 4 years ago. It was time to go out on my own, mainly because I couldn't find anyone else nearby to go with. I decided to try the mall first, just walking around to see what reaction I got. Nothing. No stares, no nothing. Well, things going this good I had to try Sears. Found a panty/bra set that I liked and headed to the checkout. Several women there but what the heck, go for it. Naturally the SA wanted to talk about a little of everything and my voice was terrible. It was no problem though, neither her or any of the other women at the checkout counter had any reaction. After I had paid for my things I left and said to myself "This was incredibly easy". No stopping me from that day on. Look out world, I was on my way. Sure I've been clocked before but I never had any bad reactions from anyone. I know what you're feeling though so try very hard to get over it. The world is ours.

DawnL
05-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Rachel,
I appreciate your post. When I get to the point that I can say I have spent any meaningful time out I will comment further on your fears. Right now I don't feel quallified to respond to that.

I do want to tell you and Marla what a special couple you are and how lucky you are that you have found each other.:love: My wife and I are completely open about my crossdressing and she is very supportive, even to the point of, tacitly, saying it is ok to go out. She even instigated the first time out, at night, in the car, went to Sonic. I sure hope that Karen will be as supportive in the future as Marla is.

God bless you both.

Kieron Andrew
05-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Rachel, i see this probably very different to how you see things right now, i dont see it as youve fallen off the horse or even failed the task, i see it as you tried something out, it wasnt for you so you re-evaluated the situation, BUT as you said youself you are still dressed as you typed your post, that isnt falling off the horse or failure to me that is truimph! you didnt just say 'oh well i cant do this so im going back to being him' you carried on being her just changed your plans slightly! how many real girls out there change their plans at the last minute!....loads!!, so see you didnt fail anything or fall off any horse:).......your task to yourself was to stay dressed for a week, what you did in that week was subject to change for a muiltitude of reasons, therefore task complete! im proud of you both :D....oh and dont beat yourself up about it, it will happen in its own time, if it doesnt, then like lots of things in life its not meant to happen

Rikkicn
05-15-2007, 03:40 PM
A wonderful story...thank you.
Your wife is what i mean when I say an encouraging and supportive spouse. she is helping you to become the person you want to be in a loving way. She's not pushing but she's encouraging. You get to decide what you do.
I've been concerned about my voice and tend to talk softly and it seems to work but I also pass and i think that once someone decide your a woman they may not pay as much attention to your voice.
Keep going out. Keep having fun and keep finding out who you are.
I've been full time for about three years and I'm just now starting to feel really, really comfortable with my presentation and deportment.

Thanks for sharing with us all

Eva Diva
05-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know your history, so excuse me if I totally miss it here. Just from a first time read, I get the impression that you're treating public female presentation in typical competitive guy fashion. It sounds like "I promised myself that I'd finish a marathon this year, but I had to quit at the 20 mile marker". I guess I'm not sure where that horse you were riding was going.
I grew up with a speech impediment. I lived with a huge disconnect between how I imagined myself - being charming with the pretty girls, having all the answers in the classroom - and what happened when I opened my mouth to talk. My choice - away from family and friends - was to keep my mouth shut in many situations and live permanently disappointed. Over a long time that changed to a significant degree, but it was a life-long thing that will never be resolved.
I guess in your case I'd need to know exactly what your goal is. Are you disappointed because you are failing your true nature, or because you are failing a fantasy that you've built up in your head? It's a rhetorical question - it's really none of my business of course. Just from reading posts here it seems as if many crossdressers have real ambivalence about just how far they want, or need, to take their dressing and presentation. It all depends on where you see yourself on the spectrum.

Then again, maybe I'm full of beans. :D

Julie York
05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
The thing that is so often overlooked on this forum, and infact the while CD community, is that there is a great deal of confusion about the "game" of crossdressing versus the reality of presenting yourself as a genuine female in public.

Unless you are genuinely Ts, it's a game of "let's pretend" which takes place between your ears. It's a game of "let's pretend I am female" for just now.... here...for just a while...it might not be true...but let's pretend.

Very few of us are so commited that they want to risk playing that game outside a safe environment because that makes it dangerous. Being outed. Being made to look ridiculous. Finding yourself being pointed at as a guy in a frock etc. So a CD club is ok. Hiding amongst real women is ok. A dressup party is ok.

I understand your situation completely. Your fear is justified and very sensible. Unless you are in the mind set that requires you, BEYOND REASON, to express your feminine nature in public, then you are not willing to risk playing the game in a situation that may put you in danger......embarrass you...make you feel stupid.

You shouldn't feel like you have failed yourself or anyone else....You're just not willing to put yourself in a situation that is beyond the game. Unsafe.

I of course reserve the right to be totally wrong.:D

Di
05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Rachel, don't beat yourself up over this...it isn't a race.....and I always tell Sher...if it isn't fun or exciting and it feels more like torture like going to the salon........then don't do it. There might be a day soon when you will want to go ...if not no biggie. Its a journey you both are going through together...and thats the best:hugs: Enjoy

Kristen Kelly
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Rachel good for you, it takes a wise person to say "Hey wait a miniute where am I heading, and can I get there from this path. You have not failed unless you give up and you have not. There have been girls that thought they were destine for GRS and have not done it, they did not fail they were smart enough to stop and step back and say what do I see for myself in life, same as you have.
All the answers here have been great, I myself have become very confortable with myself and going out, I had something to prove to myself and was always pushing myself always past my comfort zone. I have not dressed for more than 5 days straight without reverting back to guy mode, why because I have not had the oppertunity to, I would love to. I spent most of last Dec enfem other than work and by the end of the month was burnt out, took a step back and said now where am I going, it's a dance 3 steps foward and 1 step back.

Holly
05-15-2007, 06:29 PM
...if it isn't fun or exciting and it feels more like torture like going to the salon........then don't do it...I think Di wins the prize! Why would you force yourself to do something unplesant or that you don't want to do. I don't play football because to me, it isn't fun or exciting and it feels more like torture to me! Who knows? Someday, if I develop the skill set and desire, I might give it a try. You may develop the skill set and desire to go to the nail salon. If you do, great! if you don't, so what? Be at peace with youself.

Shelly Preston
05-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi Rachael

Well dont know about everyone else but that kind of failure I could cope with

Some dont even make it out of the closet.

You achieved a lot and one minor change of mind makes you think failure :(

I would say it was a great sucess :D and I hope you have many more good times to come:hugs:

Butterfly Bill
05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
The only way you can be truly out is when you no longer want to pass. It's a lot easier when you can just use your own voice.

TxKimberly
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I have been having a ball myself as of late and you know I STILL have moments and days where it scares me. Even on my best days, I start out scared and it usually lets off after a while.
My point being that your not alone, you have lots of company being anxious.
I also agree with the others that have said more or less "The idea is to have fun. If it makes you miserable then don't do it"

Kim

RobertaFermina
05-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Rachel,

Thank you for sharing your refreshingly honest self-appraisal.
Where you are is not so important as that you acknowledge the reality of it. Moving forward in Reality is much more meaningful than advancing in self-deception.

Lady-Steps, my dear, I honor you taking Lady-Steps!

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Rachel Morley
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your comments and words of encouragement. :happy:

I think the main thing for me is that in this past week of dressing non stop 24/7, I have come to realize some things about myself and my crossdressing. I always wanted (and still do) to go out en femme to places regular women go to and do girly things just as if I was a real woman.....but (here's where the bubble bursts) I also wanted to be treated by everyone around me as if I really truly was a real woman. However, I've learned that whilst I am "woman like" I'll never actually be "a woman", and people are going to detect that, especially if I interact with them "up close and personal". I've learned that I want to stay in my fantasy and be out in public en femme in (almost) every place I can go but it's not necessary to go anywhere or do anything that makes me uncomfortable.

One of the comments on my Yahoo 360 blog from Rebecca (who is a member here) said it all to me. She said: "Once you get past the fleeting encounter with another human being and enter into a one on one with the general public that requires you to actually converse and relate with this person, the game changes. Now they get to see the personality, hear the voice, watch the movements, and given this wealth of information, will they piece it all together and say something that will shatter our world, or our feminine ego? Will they become uneasy, or find us to be perverted, or will they become hostile? All valid fears and all based on the self doubt that we have created for ourselves."

Julie York, in her post above, says a similar thing about once you get outside your safe zone, the rules of the game change .... especially when you interact with people up close. This is so true (for me). Now I know the optimists amongst us will also point out they they (whoever I interact closely with) might also be, curious, intrigued, and maybe even find it interesting and non threatening, but me being me, I always tend to side with the worst case scenario especially if I can't or don't want to deal with that possible worse case scenario. I don't necessarily mean hostility (although that is possible) more the guilt of feeling like I am unaccepted or just plain weird. It's crazy really, because a person could argue, what the hell am I doing going out dressed as a woman, when really I'm a guy, if I'm going to get all paranoid about being read. Well the truth is, I don't want to have to explain myself or justify my actions to a complete stranger if I can help it.

Thank you all so much for saying such nice things about my wife Marla GG. She reads a lot more than she posts here these days, but she is still fairly active online and in our local TG community, and of course, she is my mentor and role model and someone who is helping me in so many ways, not just helping me become more feminine. I love her very much for so many reasons, not just her love of crossdressing.

Lastly, I want to tell you that I've listened and heard everything you all have said, and it all makes perfect sense to me. I should enjoy my dressing on my terms, it's not a race, I don't have to get anywhere, and I shouldn't judge myself on how successful I can be on how far I can go. I have my whole life ahead of me. My goal was, and still is, to feel feminine and enjoy doing what I perceive to be feminine things, and if some of those feminine things will put me in a feminine environment that I am not yet ready for (nail salon) then don't go there. There's no prize except my own personal enjoyment.

Hugs to you all :hugs:
Rachel

P.S. Marla and I went out to the mall and also grocery shopping again today. It was wonderfully uneventful, yet I had people all round me, especially in line at Trader Joe's grocery store!

Alice B
05-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Wow. Do you have a great wife or what! It's great that you are comfortable about going out en femme together and you have hit the nail on the head for many of us wanting to go out in public, but afraid.

The gals at the nail salon would think nothing about your going dressed to have your nails done. I go every 3 weeks and although I have not had my nails painted (I remove the polish before I go) I'm sure they know I cross dress because of my shaved legs and arms and possible hint of polish not totally removed. Since my wife is now comfortable of my painting my toe nails I think I may have the courage to ask them to do it for me. So, go for it.:love:

Alice B

MJ
05-15-2007, 10:38 PM
there will be another time, at least you are out and about enjoy your time baby steps , guess i will save my dresses for another time :love:
you and Marla rock all the best
hugs mj

susie evans
05-15-2007, 11:25 PM
rachel
at first i was nervous i fell off a horse 9 years ago and broke my pelvis in three places and that was not fun but as far as dressing i think the other girls are right on if it is fun and you are haveing a good time great if not be comfortable with where you are and what you are doing it's your life and comfort zone :hugs:

susie

AllieSF
05-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Hi Rachel,

What a great post for me. It helps to clarify what may be in the future for me too. You have received so much good advice from this forum and your loving wife that I can't really add much to it, except go forward at the speed you feel most comfortable with. It is your life so enjoy it as much as you can, take those risks you feel most capable of handling and take a step or two back when you feel it is necessary. Your week en femme has been a roaring success in more ways that you could have imagined when you started. Not only are you having fun, you have also been able to learn a lot about yourself. Keep up the good work.

sandra-leigh
05-16-2007, 01:09 AM
I always wanted (and still do) to go out en femme to places regular women go to and do girly things just as if I was a real woman.....but (here's where the bubble bursts) I also wanted to be treated by everyone around me as if I really truly was a real woman.

From my teenage years, I have wondered what the experience of being a woman is like -- what it would be like not just to be treated as if I were a woman, but for people to actually think that I was a woman and react to me that way. ("Treat as" can imply a deliberate overlooking of the knowledge that one was not in fact a woman.) And I still wonder about that, and when I think abstractly about where my crossdressing might lead, I muse about living as a woman for a time, believed to be a woman by those I interact with, and it starts to sound like something I should think more seriously about. I do not feel like "I should have been born a female", and I wouldn't say that I dislike being male, but I have this yen for the experience, stronger than just a simple curiosity. Possibly one way of describing it is like someone in Canada or the USA who keeps thinking and thinking about visiting Europe for a while (not just a 2 week 16 country tour) -- not knowing what they would find when they got there, but just knowing that it's something that will be somehow missing from their life until they try it.

And yet, for all of that urge to experience "being" a woman, I don't actually get fully dressed all that often, and when I do I tend to go to bars for lack of anything better to do, rather than living "regular life" as a woman. I do most of my cross-shopping while I'm in drab, and I don't hide that (whatever) is for me -- dresses, blouses, makeup, wigs, I just go and buy it for me. A fair number of SAs know me by sight and remember me and know that I dress, and I have interesting conversations and interactions. For the most part, I get treated quite well, obviously shopping for femme things for myself when I'm easily determined to be male.

I've never even tried to study "femme voice", or "femme deportment", or how women interact with women differently then with men. I haven't put in any of the study work to "become" a woman, and doing so just hasn't been on my priority list.

It has turned out that what I enjoy at this point in my life is putting on womens' clothes (not necessarily particularily recognizable as such), underdress, put on bra and forms and a top that gives me a bust that is apparent to anyone who looks but not "huge" -- and then to go out with my regular hair and no (or no obvious) makeup. Going out, in other words, as "a guy with boobs", sometimes as "a guy with boobs wearing a skirt". I go out that way shopping, riding the bus, taking a bike ride, perhaps doing some yard work if I'm not being too blatant -- integrating it into everyday life. Sometimes I even wear forms at work (under something where they aren't easily noticable). If my clothing doesn't make me feel like I'm screaming for attention (see my Clothing thread "Colour perception and comfort levels"), then I have pretty good confidence going out that way. It just feels right to me, feels like I should have about D cup breasts even though I'm male, and that there's no reason not to let them be observed. I'm getting more comfortable, too, with wearing blouses that bra straps can be made out under, even in "guy mode".

I'm sure not where I imagined I might be, transforming into a woman; I'm transforming into something else instead, something male with boobs that wears women's clothes while still being a man. Do I get "read"? Sure -- but I really think that the more natural I am, the more confident, that the less people notice (or care).

I'm not at the point of feeling comfortable going out to "everyday" activities wearing a dress or feminine skirt, but I've been comfortable going out as male in some plain skirts. My comfort going out in guy mode with any particular top depends more on the cut (or shape) than on the material or pattern. It doesn't bother me at all to go out in male mode in my brown top with gold flowers, which is cut in standard short-sleeved shirt style, but plunge necks or ruffled sleeves or "bling" say "women's clothes!!" to me far more strongly. I like wearing dresses and pretty skirts, but I'm not there in guy mode at this point. (Though if I were visiting another city, my resistance might be overcome...)

Butterfly Bill said,
The only way you can be truly out is when you no longer want to pass. . I would modify that slightly: you can be truly out when it is no longer of particular importance to you whether you pass or not. I wouldn't object to passing, but I am prepared to go out and be seen as a male in womens' clothes and "So what?? This is just how I am."

Rachel, you might find crossdressing easier and more natural (and more successful) if you were able to let go of worrying about "passing". Maybe try it out of town, such as going into a clothing store in drab and interacting with an SA and trying on something obviously femme (skirt, dress, bra, whatever): these days in the more cosmopolitan areas, the SA's really don't mind at all.

Raychel
05-16-2007, 05:38 AM
You are doing great, The road that we as crossdressers take, has many curves and bends in it. You have to know what speed you can personally take them. You have a wonderful woman there with you to help you along this road. Between the both of you you will have a wonderful life together. Even if you don't get your nails done.

:hugs:

CharleneCD
05-16-2007, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=Rachel Morley;
Marla then shared with me that she had been told by others that perhaps I might one day have this problem because I always go out with her, and haven't experienced much independence, and therefore exposure to being read. It's true, being out en femme with a GG is cheating, and it makes passing seem easier, and when the GG in question is doing all the talking, the pressure is off. Also my slight frame at 5 ft 4 ins and 128 pounds goes a long way to helping me disappear into the background when we are out together. [/QUOTE]

Rachel,

Very good post. Your openess and honesty really got me on this one. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself though. You found somethig that made you too uncomfortable. Why go on with it when it would detract from the joy of dressing. And I wouldn't worry that the other gals would think badly of you. You do things that others would never dream of doing. Hell I am envyous of you. You can pass in a way that I could never dream of. Makeup will never hide my 6 feet and the build that goes with it. I can take a good pic, but in public total passing is not reality.

Based on my passing ability, I take a different view on what I quoted above from you. I dont feel that going out with GG's is cheating. They are my safety net. The "worst case" you worry about is usualy defused by Bunny's being there. When people see her with me acting like everything is normal, They tend to relax. You see no matter that my wife tries to avoid being the loving touching wife while we are out, there is still no doubt that we are a couple. Just too much body language between us. I have sat by GG's in nail salons, and at first they are a bit nervous or standoffish. But soon they realize we are together and she is ok with me and that I am acting appropriatly for the situation, and they loosen up and talk to me. Bunny has never had to use her planned line of " he's my husband and I am fine with it. What bussiness is it of yours."

As for worrying about being judged or accepted: people judge everyone male female or othewise. The ones I care about are the ones who take the time to get to know what is behind the appearence. If you are a good person, they will accept you no matter what you look or dress like.

Just my take on things. Maybe you will get some ideas from it. The nail salon is such a wonderfull experience.

Paulette
05-16-2007, 11:17 AM
TG friendly nails can be had at about 20th and J street in Sacramento, the girls there do not speak real good English and I have been in there and had a pedicure with clear polish. One time I was sitting there to get a normal male pedicure and a couple who were there before me were getting pedicures and manicures together and the female suggested that the male get some color on his toes and a flower on each big toe. He said OK and then the tech asked me if I wanted the same and in that instance I said sure. I walked out with red toes and a flower on each big toe. The couple had matching polish and flowers on their toes and then the woman said she loved the look and why not get matching nails. The guy said OK why not if it would make her happy and he walked out with the nicest French manicure with at least 1 inch nails. Maybe you and Marla could try this place and have Marla do all of the talking. Be sure to wear shorts as a skirt can present problems (modesty) sitting in the chair.

Glad you are having fun take your time it is no big thing but I can tell you that a nice pedicure and manicure can make you fell so femme that you will become hooked. Love the massage chairs they use.

Wendy me
05-16-2007, 11:33 AM
you know sometimes we get lost in something we look to find the next level or were we think we want to go to because we are people ..... and we as people always want more ....

Rachel to me it seams you have found your comfy spot were you are comfy thats very cool love that spot and enjoy it .... it's all good... now if it's something more that you want that's fine too....; now your a lot more clearer abought were if at all you want more....

some thing it's simple it is what it is nothing more or less ..... the part were things get messed up is when we look for were we think we should get to all too often we are already there......

i always like reading your threads this one as always i bet a lot of us are seeing were we all fit in this one way or a nouther........

windycissy
05-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Rachel,

Methinks the problem is between your ears, my dear! Take it from an objective observed who has seen you up close and personal: you pass, sweetheart. As for your voice, that little English thing you've got going makes you sound very feminine in my opinion. You know what your problem is? The same as mine: high self esteem! And I don't think that's necessarily a problem, I mean I've been out with girls who actually try to call attention to themselves as guys, sort of as a defense mechanism I suspect....okay, I'm gonna get read no matter what, so let's get it over with! You, and I, are dedicated to presenting ourselves as female, and it hurts when we can't pull it off 100% of the time. You are on a wonderful trajectory, keep it up!

Windy

battybattybats
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
And is there anything wrong with being read? Sure it could be bad in certain circumstances but you would be in a safe circumstance. It might not be as satisfying as passing but what is it that is so frightening about being read? (I'm asking myself this same question as I write this :) )

EricaCD
05-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Rachel! Sorry I am a bit late coming to this thread. (By now, all the good quotes have been taken.)

It's threads like this one that keep me coming back to this forum. Thanks for such an honest and insightful writing. There's a lot of good advice that has always been given. I will only repeat one thing: crossdressing is not a race, or a contest, or a competition. There's no checklist to be handed in at the end of the course. At its best, crossdressing can be a pathway to a much richer understanding of how we relate to our own genders, and how society relates to us as a consequence. Your own progress along that path has been admirable.

Look forward to catching up with you soon. Hugs!
Erica

Sally24
05-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Rachel, I can identity with alot that you say about using your GG as a "cheat" to pass easier. Until this last year I only went out with my wife. Then I started going out with a T-girl group and got a little more comfortable with myself. Later, when shopping with my wife, I found I didn't stay right beside her all the time but would go off to a totally different part of the store to shop. Lately I've just gone off by myself en femme when I needed to get some things. Just walked into the drugstore or clothing store and bought what I needed. Yes, the conversations were brief but they were perfectly normal.

I do disagree with the assertion that some of us are "playing" at being a woman even though we will never be seen as a woman by people close-up. Many of us can pass even on close examination or with extended interaction. Maybe not all the time, but a good percentage. My goal is to be accepted as a genetic woman, I'll settle for being thought a transexual.

Either way, take your time and figure out just what you want at any given time. It's good to push the limits of your comfort zone, just not every day. Enjoy your spouce, she's one of a rare breed in this world and is to be cherished! Most of all, enjoy yourself. You have come to a fairly good balance with your wants and needs. Many do not get to that point.

NarakuAulonocara
05-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Not to show off, but I can speak enfemme. Ask me how but I can't explain.

Mitch23
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
And is there anything wrong with being read? Sure it could be bad in certain circumstances but you would be in a safe circumstance. It might not be as satisfying as passing but what is it that is so frightening about being read? (I'm asking myself this same question as I write this :) )
Im coming round to that way of thinking. Nothing we can do will make most of us pass as a GG. We are all caricatures to a certain extent. I'm 6'2" and skinny and look very good in a frock - but I'm not fooling myself that i can be in a shopping mall and not be noticed - i'm proud of the image i project of myself

mitch

Dixie
05-23-2007, 12:55 PM
When you fall off a horse you are supposed to get right back on and ride. I don't think you reall y fell off so much as jump off for a potty break.:heehee: I think you are being way too hard on your self, this is not a competetion, unless you want it to be, it's a journey of discovery where we share our adventures with those who love and understand us. To think you have failed or not stood up to the test is ludicrous, look back on your journey, see how far you have come, take pride in that and then move forward.