PDA

View Full Version : Contacted a Therapist

Taylor105
05-16-2007, 10:33 AM
As most of you know I recently moved to Alabama. I have been living my life here in this new place as a full time male. I did some internet research to see what I could find here in terms of someone to talk to or maybe a support group. This lady is awesome!! I had to share these e-mails with you guys. I'm nervous as hell but I think I am going to give her a call. What do you guys think?........

I am a 33 year old female to male trans and i have no support. I recently moved to Opelika, AL. from Texas. I wanted to shed the old female me and that I why I chose to move far away. The thing is that I don't know anyone here. Even though I am living my life as Taylor, a male, I feel so alone here. I've never been to a gender therapist before and I don't know how to go about finding one. I saw that you were listed in Montgomery and that is only an hour from here. What I'm wondering is what I should do first? I'm feeling desparate and I need some help with all of this.

Thanks for your time, Taylor

Taylor,
What you need to do is call me and set up a time to come and talk. We will figure out whether therapy would be helpful for you, and if so, make arrangements to continue.
I can imagine you are feeling really alone. It's hard to move to a new place by yourself. Maybe I can help you make some connections.
Please give me a call at *********. If I'm not available, please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I hope to hear from you soon!
Susan

Hi Susan,

Can you tell me about what the price would be? I don't want to waste your time if I cannot afford to come in. I have Medicare and Medicaid but I'm pretty sure you probably don't take that. I just need to find someone. I don't have family support at all. Anyway, thanks for your time. Taylor

Taylor,
It is NOT a waste of time! It is important to me to provide services for trangendered people, and I will work with you to make it happen.
I normally charge $100 an hour. However, I am working on a sliding fee scale and also some insurance options--not sure whether I can manage medicare and medicaid, but am working on it.
Although I have been counseling for a long time, I just began my private practice in November, so am new to billing, etc.
If you will come and talk to me, for free the first time, we can work something out. Just come talk, and we will see what we can do.
Susan

bi_weird
05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
DUDE excellent! Sounds like you've found a realy good one! Hope you can figure out the insurance thing, but yeah, yay for you! Have a brownie!

Xaff
05-16-2007, 11:13 AM
She sounds very nice. Go for it, I would say.
:thumbsup:

Hope you 2 can work something out.

Xaff,

Di
05-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Sounds promising:D ....Best Wishes:hugs:

CaptLex
05-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I think she's definitely worth a try. You'll never know if she can help you and if you can work out the financial stuff if you don't go for the first (free) appointment. I don't think you have anything to lose - even if it turns out it's not what you want. My therapist made an arrangement with me too. My insurance company only pays for 30 sessions a year, so I pay him for any others I want and he gives me a reduced fee for those. Give it a shot, Taylor, you never know. :happy:

Kieron Andrew
05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
hey first time is free, your not losing anything by going are you :) give it a shot, she sounds like she really is compassionate to those who seek help :)

Tristan
05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
That's so awesome, Taylor. I really hope it works out for you. I feel a lot better since seeing a gender counselor and joining a support group too. It still gets tough but still feel a little less alone.

Felix
05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Taylor my Friend that's great news :thumbsup: I'd say give her a go as she sounds very helpful xx Felix :hugs:

kerrianna
05-16-2007, 03:57 PM
She sounds great so far, hope it works out for you Taylor. :hugs:

It sounds like she gets a lot of stuff already. I'm glad you're reaching out. You're doing so well in your progress it seems; it's important to keep it going and not feel too isolated. Good lad. :thumbsup::hugs:

Dasein9
05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Yaaaayyyyyyy, Taylor!!! Good for you.

The therapist sounds like a good one.

Also, in case you're concerned, if she cuts you a deal on self-pay, don't think it's charity. If you pay in cash, then she saves money since she doesn't have to pay a staff member to submit all the paperwork for insurance.

kittypw GG
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Taylor,
Hey buddy the first session is free? Cool. What have you got to loose but an hour of your time. If you don't think she can help or the money thing doesn't work out, well you will have the contact information so you can network and find a support group. Sounds like a win win situation to me. :D:thumbsup:
Good luck :hugs:Kitty

Taylor105
05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Thank you all. Now I need to figure out when Craig is going to be off so that I can have my car to get to Montgomery. This lady is so cool that she even mentioned making a special time for me to come and see her in the evening because of the car issue. I will let you all know how this goes. :)

xsideburnsx
05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you all. Now I need to figure out when Craig is going to be off so that I can have my car to get to Montgomery. This lady is so cool that she even mentioned making a special time for me to come and see her in the evening because of the car issue. I will let you all know how this goes. :)

This therapist you are seeing sounds really awesome. I'm a little surprised you could find one that was so open in the deep south.

What made you make the decision to move to Alabama?

pocoyo
05-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Awww wicked!
Good on you Taylor, well done dude :D

*feels all proud and smiley for you*

:hugs:

Question Mark
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
w00t! Yeah, she sounds really cool and understanding. Having a therapist to talk to sounds like a good idea in this situation. Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

Adam
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
sorry i missed this thread taylor

*slaps himself for missing it*

sounds great hope it all works well for you :D

Tamera
05-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Hi Taylor,
Therapy is a personal decision that some choose or not choose.

I hope this decision helps with your confusion in life you are experiencing right now.

Keep the Communication Lines Open.
LOL
Tamera

Dasein9
05-18-2007, 08:32 AM
*slaps himself for missing it*:D

Watch out! Kez might get mad at you for doing her job. :heehee:

Taylor105
05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Choosing to move from Texas to Alabama was just me flying by the seat of my pants honestly. My two roomies that I did have decided to jump ship and abandon me. So my best friend Craig moved in. Neither of us wanted to stay in Texas because the memories of that place felt tainted by my other roomies leaving. So I got online and started at the beginning of the alphabet. This goes to show how crazy I am. Alabama was the first state int he alphabet. The first known city that started with A was Auburn. Well, then I went online to find a job that Craig was doing that he could possibly transfer to and I found one. Then I looked into apartments on rent.com and called this place and chose it sight unseen. The next thing I know we left everything both of us ever knew and moved here. I am glad everything worked out because the way I chose this place was something a psycho would do. lol I have a huge three bedroom two full bath place with gorgeous scenery for a great rent. The place is three times the size of my place in Texas. Craig loves his job and is finally getting the appreciation at work that he has deserved but never got in Texas. And best of all, I can live full time as a male here because we knew not a soul in this state. Some higher power was definitely looking out for me when I made the decision to move.

pocoyo
05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Oi! Don't put yourself down.
It's not the kind of thing "a psycho would do" actually.
It's the kind of thing a strong, motivated, empowered person, who knew they could handle it, would do.
It's pretty amazing actually, so NERRR :tongueout

Very cool that you can just be yourself :D :hugs:

Taylor105
05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
LOL Thanks Pocs!! I missed you dude!

xsideburnsx
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Choosing to move from Texas to Alabama was just me flying by the seat of my pants honestly. My two roomies that I did have decided to jump ship and abandon me. So my best friend Craig moved in. Neither of us wanted to stay in Texas because the memories of that place felt tainted by my other roomies leaving. So I got online and started at the beginning of the alphabet. This goes to show how crazy I am. Alabama was the first state int he alphabet. The first known city that started with A was Auburn. Well, then I went online to find a job that Craig was doing that he could possibly transfer to and I found one. Then I looked into apartments on rent.com and called this place and chose it sight unseen. The next thing I know we left everything both of us ever knew and moved here. I am glad everything worked out because the way I chose this place was something a psycho would do. lol I have a huge three bedroom two full bath place with gorgeous scenery for a great rent. The place is three times the size of my place in Texas. Craig loves his job and is finally getting the appreciation at work that he has deserved but never got in Texas. And best of all, I can live full time as a male here because we knew not a soul in this state. Some higher power was definitely looking out for me when I made the decision to move.

I think that's awesome that you just picked up and left all you knew. That's real courage right there man. I'm glad you found a place you love and that you can begin on a fresh new slate. I did the same thing. Moved around from the south into the midwest. I'm considering relocation again only because I'm extremely bored of where I am now.

Kieron Andrew
05-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm considering relocation again only because I'm extremely bored of where I am now.
Told you! go to NYC with Lex and Das

pocoyo
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
LOL Thanks Pocs!! I missed you dude!

Awww I missed you too! :bighug:

xsideburnsx
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM

I'm considering NYC right now. :)

I'd get lost in a sea of people haha.

Kieron Andrew
05-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm considering NYC right now. :)

oh thats such a good thing though, you could always emigrate to the UK LOL

xsideburnsx
05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
oh thats such a good thing though, you could always emigrate to the UK LOL

Yes, I could. :) Then we could go biking through the streets of London.

pocoyo
05-18-2007, 12:05 PM

WOOHOO!

Kieron Andrew
05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
yay!! cool idea

Dasein9
05-18-2007, 12:30 PM
One thing I can say for NYC -- the weird-threshhold is very high. No-one gives most strange people a second glance.

CaptLex
05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
I think all you guys should move here . . . then we can take over. :devil:

I'm considering NYC right now.

That's one of the things I like about it too. :cool:

pocoyo
05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
I think all you guys should move here . . . then we can take over. :devil:

Nooo... the London idea is better... we'll take over London.. no wait... the whole of England... and we'll have a holiday home in NYC... and the Caribbean..
:D

xsideburnsx
05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
HAH whichever. I don't mind either.

Kieron Andrew
05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
boys be fair this is Taylors thread and we've taken it off topic lol

CaptLex
05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Rats! We're always setting threads adrift, arent' we?

Sorry, Taylor. :o Please let us know how the therapist thing turns out.

Now I think we should confine ourselves to the brig for a little while. :p

kerrianna
05-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Rats! We're always setting threads adrift, arent' we?

Sorry, Taylor. :o Please let us know how the therapist thing turns out.

Now I think we should confine ourselves to the brig for a little while. :p

...where I'll be waiting! :devil:

...I mean... :heehee:
:battingeyelashes:

EricaCD
05-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Good for you Taylor. I'm pleased to hear you were able to make a good initial contact with her. Hope it works out!

Erica

Taylor105
05-19-2007, 03:34 PM
It's okay if the thread gets hijacked. hehe I don't mind. I have always been the kind of fly by the seat of your pants guy. Do something impulsively without thinking of the consequences. Fortunately for me it worked out this time. lol Even though I am in the south still I feel pretty good about being myself here. I am originally from Chicago and as soon as I was old enough to get away from my family I drove south and my car broke down in Texas so I lived there for fourteen years. haha I never thought I would be so impulsive again. I thought I had put all that stuff behind me. But when I get a wild hair up my butt I can do some crazy things. haha

xsideburnsx
05-19-2007, 03:58 PM
It's okay if the thread gets hijacked. hehe I don't mind. I have always been the kind of fly by the seat of your pants guy. Do something impulsively without thinking of the consequences. Fortunately for me it worked out this time. lol Even though I am in the south still I feel pretty good about being myself here. I am originally from Chicago and as soon as I was old enough to get away from my family I drove south and my car broke down in Texas so I lived there for fourteen years. haha I never thought I would be so impulsive again. I thought I had put all that stuff behind me. But when I get a wild hair up my butt I can do some crazy things. haha

Hah well I still feel jerkish for hijacking the thread anyway. So here man...:love:

I've moved around a bit too. Mainly stuck within the south and midwest. Considered an east coast move, but it's very expensive to live out there. Midwest and south are where you can find big cheap homes or rent 2 bedroom apartments for about 400 bucks a month.

I am glad you like Alabama. I only wish I could be that impulsive again without worrying about not having enough money.

Taylor105
05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks. I think this will be the end of my impulsiveness though. It's helpful when you know you aren't going to do it alone though. Having my roomie with me made it easier to just up and go. lol

xsideburnsx
05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks. I think this will be the end of my impulsiveness though. It's helpful when you know you aren't going to do it alone though. Having my roomie with me made it easier to just up and go. lol

HAH yeah. I got you. Having another person help you is always nice. So this roomie of yours...anything going on with that...if you don't mind me asking?

Taylor105
05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Craig is a very cool guy. I have known him since 1995 when I was still trying to live my life as a good little girl and even got married. YIKES!! Anyway, he has stood by my side through all of the stages of my becoming the ultimate me. Never in a million years would I have thought we would end up living together but it has been awesome. He was with me when I got my first packer in the mail. It was funny because he was just as excited to see what it looked like as I was. He was kinda freaked by how real it looks. haha Anyway, he is always telling me how to pass better and junk like that. He refers to me as a HE and I love him for it. So all in all I feel blessed to have him as my best friend/brother. And no I am not into guys sexually so he is okay with that too. haha

O2B Barbara
05-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Good for you Taylor, extremely brave thing to do. It does indeed sound like your Higher Power is looking out for you. Craig sounds like a really great guy, not many would stick with you through all this.

Hugs