PDA

View Full Version : Something Interesting About Children

Valerie Nicole
05-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I was at my karate class tonight, and as usual there were some kids sitting on the chairs for people who just come by to watch their family in the class. They had some paper and craft supplies and such, which I was glad to see because I really support creativity. I happened to be there when one of their friends showed up, and the girls told their friend (also a girl) what they were doing. They said they were making "he-she's" of Spongebob Squarepants and his friend, Patrick. I heard them further explain this as "turning them into girls."

My mind was blown right away. I'm still not sure whether to see this as a good thing, a bad thing, or a mix of both. On the one hand, there is some definite awareness there in these children, which I consider a good thing. On the other hand, perhaps this is a sign of stereotyping and intolerance (though I hate to refer to "tolerance" as a good thing). Any thoughts?

Kate Simmons
05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Amazing what kids can do with paper these days, huh? Gotta love 'em, the little skallowags.:heehee:

Dixie
05-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Hahaha, my wife says these girls will grow up to dress their husbands up as girls! :D

kaitlin
05-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Hahaha, my wife says these girls will grow up to dress their husbands up as girls! :D

See Girls there is hope for our children!!!!!!

Karren H
05-17-2007, 11:31 AM
More likely they will grow up to be sponge biologists or SRS surgeons..... (Got to love genderless organisms) All my son ever drew was wepons or polar bears with bad attitudes... (Google White Board paintball)... Or logos for his paintball team (angry polar bears with wepons). Hehe... The daughter took after me... Can't draw without a srtait edge and a scale....

Karren

JulieC
05-17-2007, 03:57 PM

My two daughters (both less than 5) decided it would be fun to have Daddy put nail polish on, fingers and toes.

Who am I to resist in the name of entertaining my children? :D :D :D

Kids have fewer hang ups about gender roles, and I think are more willing to consider people in alternate roles than adults are. The training sets in at an early age though.

Leah B
05-17-2007, 04:24 PM
All my son ever drew was wepons or polar bears with bad attitudes...

Reminds me of a sweet poster I saw on the 'net. Do a Google images on "Bear Cavalry." I'd post it here, but it swears in the caption.