PDA

View Full Version : HotRod Show,...in drag??

Dixie
05-17-2007, 08:46 AM
My wife has a dare for me, after reading my comment in Dress n Drive, about dressing to the nines in a late fifties to mid sixties style and driving around Grand Junction in my 65 Falcon, she suggested I do more than that and take it to a carshow. I know she was only joking, but I can't stop thinking about that and I find the whole idea, uh...interesting to say the very least of where my mind is on that subject. What do you gurls think would you do it or not??

Andrea Nicole
05-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Another Springer moment .... call his show ... he want people like you ...

You gotta get together with the CAMPER chic .....

Maybe tomorrow we'll have someone pick up this fantasy stuff by posting "what do you think ... going to a RODEO dressed up" .... right ....

michelleupnorth
05-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I would show up dressed in a pretty dress and ask, Hey, where is the drag show? Oops I thought it was this kind of drag show! lolol

Dana921
05-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I say go for it! Get some mirrors and display you and the car! It would be great to have the owner and model babe all in one! Get a glassed in booth to display the car and you and you would have babe under glass!:D

Seriously, I guess it depends on the crowd attending and how well you could pass. Once done though I think you would be out to your community even if you did claim it as a bet or joke! Would be a lot of fun though combining hobbies/interests.

Dana

Michelle 51
05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Well i guess it depend's on how out you want to be.Sound's like fun if you go for it(be sure to post some pic's if you do) Justabit

jenniferj
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I would advise against it. My experience has been that there is a noticeable contingent of angry-macho-types at such things, and fueled by paper-cup beer and loud peer pressure would probably not be kind. (even if some of them envy you) There are also many very nice people at such events, but they will be largely powerless to defend or protect you.

If you do it seriously (and don't pass) there may well be some unpleasantness.

If you do it as a clown-style joke, you are reinforcing the "drag queen" stereotype that most people have of us.

On the other hand, if have a good chance of passing, you could have a lot of fun with the "naughty girl" style of dress that also seems popular at such things. Or you could wear a poodle skirt with bobbysox and saddle shoes? (That's really the fifties, but where else could you wear one?)

Oh dear! Guy-side interrupt! Tell us about the Falcon!!!

jj

kaitlin
05-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey Girl, Yes I would do it. But I'd try to get my wife to play along by wearing jeans, white t-shirt and black penny loafers, somewhat like to late 50's early 60's style. Think about Fonz from happy days. You in a dress and her in that outfit would be too cool !!! Kaitlin

MJ
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
hmm Way too much testosterone in there for me , but if you want to go for it

Bobbi Lynn
05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Crinolines and Poodle skirts from the 50's, YEAH!

SherriePall
05-17-2007, 11:53 AM
What Kaitlin said about your wife showing up "Fonzie-like" while you wore a dress might be interesting. Of course, you know best who usually displays at the shows and who shows up to look. Would I? Only if I had a Henry J.

LindaTS
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I know there are both pros and cons about doing something like this but I don't think I'd try it. Like someone already pointed out, there are usually a lot of macho types at these events and that could spell big time trouble. Unless of course you pass very well. In that case, go for it.

Karren H
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Go for it Girl!! Wear your best poodle skirt too!!

I've crossdressed in Grand Junction on more than one occassion!! Dryish but a nice town.. Love that mall... Think I shopped at JC Penny's

So how's the math out west work..... Driving a 1965 vehicle 5 to 10 years before it was built?? Hehe

:tongueout

Love Karren

Alex!
05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Scary on many levels. If you can do it without incident, then you can do anything...

Dixie
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I told my wife I was going to do it, she said "You better NOT!" I told her she had to go as the Fonz and she just laughed and said I was crazy. As for the car, It is a 1965 Ford Falcon 4-door with only 65,000 orginal miles. It has a 289 V-8 and automatic Tranny (no pun intended, I am the automatic trannyy HeHeHe) All original upholstry, carpet and headliner. This thing will move!!
Hey Karren you have actually been to the Junction? Let me know the next time you are out this way and we will do something fun!

Karren H
05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Hey Karren you have actually been to the Junction? Let me know the next time you are out this way and we will do something fun!

Yeah!! I thought flying over the Rockys from Denver in a little plane was fun!! NOT... And shopping was always fun... Stayed a Best Western out by I-70.. Had some relatives in Glenwood Springs... And at one time had to visit the BLM in Meeker a lot and there is always some trying to sell a coal mine or a piece of property out past Delta and Sommerset....

Ill let you know next time I swing by...

Karren

Dixie
05-17-2007, 02:01 PM
That would be really Cool! Yeah I know about those mines, I used to work for the West Elk Mine owned by Arch Coal, it's just past Somerset.

Deborah
05-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes please go for it and post some pics afterwards.

I mean if you're brave enough to go out public then it should be ok showing pics here yes?

Karren H
05-17-2007, 02:11 PM
That would be really Cool! Yeah I know about those mines, I used to work for the West Elk Mine owned by Arch Coal, it's just past Somerset.

Bet that was fun... Between the surface facilities sliding down the hill, the sponcom fires and the floods.... Lol. I've been in all of those mines a number of times... Every time they come up for sale.. Lol

Karren

TxKimberly
05-17-2007, 03:47 PM
My wife and I have a 67 Mustang - can I hang with you?? lol
Honestly I don't know if I would or not. A lot of it would depend on if people you know, like, and respect are going to be there, do they know about you, and can you handle it when they see you?
If you were thinking to pass it off as a joke to people you know, forget it. I doubt anyone would buy that story. If it was for nostalgia you would do the male in the 60's thing.

Kim

Sweet Cindy
05-17-2007, 03:59 PM
OMG, that would be soo fun. Probably better as a fantasy than reality, sadly. I don't like to make generalizations, but the gearhead scene (which I am a part of) tends to be knee-deep in testosterone. Depends on the show though. Import show? No way. The drags? Nope. A large cruise night maybe - lots of regular people milling about in the twilight. That would provide some cover and I doubt anyone would even read you. Nice fantasy at least. Hmm. Guess I won't be getting much sleep tonight...

Dixie
05-17-2007, 04:47 PM
One of the Friday nights that we go to Junction to party maybe I'll dress up and cruise North avenue Before Going to the bar!

kristytv
05-17-2007, 06:53 PM
hey i have done it , before i started restoring my 64 galaxie i did a show or 2 in 60 s garb enfemme. most people get a kick out of it, its still a family orinted thing. (im not that passable at least i dont think i am)

Dixie
05-17-2007, 08:03 PM
COOL!!!!

rose382832
05-17-2007, 08:05 PM
how redneck or conservative is the town where the show is? if jeff foxworthy or dale earnhardt are the town heroes then NO , but if boy george is more fashionable then YES go for it.

Dixie
05-17-2007, 08:07 PM
It's a mixture (college town), it would be funny to go to the Father's Day carshow at Lincoln Park.:D

SandyR
05-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Gota be honest here, I would not, I prefer the guy mode for cars, shooting, working out..........

But its a small world we own land in Frutia, and plan to move there in time.

Funny part is my wife tells me "you will need to stop shaving your legs to fit in there". Buzz.....nice to know I will not be alone when we get there!

Drive on!

Hugs.

SandyR

Dixie
05-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey Sandy, at Quibcy's bar (the gay bar that we go to) there is a Gurl who lives 24/7 as a woman. It is not a wholly accepting community, but it is not a totally closed minded one either.

Stephenie S
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
A car show?

Unless you look like your avatar, I would leave the daisey dukes at home.

Steph

Dixie
05-17-2007, 09:01 PM
No, sadly the daisy dukes just wouldn't cut it:heehee:

Seville
05-17-2007, 09:03 PM
hmm Way too much testosterone in there for me , but if you want to go for it

Best to stay away from testosterone laden environments...
would you go to a biker bar too?

SandyR
05-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Dixie,

Good to know. It would suck to work out at the gym, and get bugged because of shaved leggs......heheh

Good to know though.

Let us know how the car show goes.

Hugs.

SandyR

Dixie
05-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I am a biker so why not?

Seriously,....probably not. I would love to totally blend my "Hobbies" into one, but reality says,........"it ain't gonna happen gurl!"

Charleen
05-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Did the last Turkey Rod Run at Daytona with dangle earrings, Pink sweater (it was chilly), jeans, and eyes made up with mascara and shadow, and lip gloss. Walked around for over 5 hours and got a couple of looks from guys that had a couple of teeth when I was in the swap meet, but other than that nada, zip, zilch.

Dixie
05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Sandy I have actually been wearing shorts for two weeks with shaved legs and no one has noticed and I have to go to Grand Junction twice a week for classes at Mesa State. Well if they have noticed they haven't said anything or even looked at me funny.

SandyR
05-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Good cool to know, I find most don't even notice.

Hugs.

SandyR

erica12b
05-17-2007, 11:23 PM
in my thoughts the town, is about as back water as it can be, but i was born here so, i think funny , and i just had a shock there is another here that dresses and somone else has been here and knows of the mall and stuff , my world has just made me feel small and hope has sprung up , im not alone , lol hope i was not over the top

dixie if you need a navigater ill go, call or e=mail me

erica12b
05-17-2007, 11:33 PM
and ill share with karren and sandy too ,, we could all go for a drive and see the sights

Dixie
05-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey Erica, I was born in G.J. also!! I do not live there but I do live near (near being a relative term). I have lived in alot of places and have grown because of it. I now live in Colorado and I love it, it is my home.

Joy Carter
05-18-2007, 02:56 AM
The one thing is that allot of car guys remember cars. And if you drive up in that one of yours dressed, then when in drab, they will out you in a minute. Just ain't worth it Hun.:o

Dixie
05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
My kids said on Halloween(the only time they have ever seen me dressed) that I look like Aunt Tammi (my sister). I think people would believe that one but for now I will just fantasize about it.

vivianann
05-19-2007, 02:54 AM
Hi, I am from delta county, and am a car buff. I am glad to see that there are other crossdressers here in the area, I too would love to go to a car show in drag, but too many car guys in western Colorado know me. Maybe one day in a far away city, and hope no body from Colorado shows up their.
I would like to meet with other crossdressers from western Colo. if that is not asking too much, we can share our war stories, and car stories.

carolinewalker_2000
05-19-2007, 03:53 AM
I don't know how macho the crowd at these sorts of shows are in the States; they can be pretty scarry here! It sounds a wonderful idea though; and I just adore 50's fashions. If you can; go for it - and share the photos with us afterwards!

Dixie
05-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Vivianan that would be awsome I to live in Delta county, maybe you have seen my car, I also have a '67 bug that is twotone black and grey primer, with chrome steel wheels, it is soon to be dismantled for a revamp.

Dixie
05-19-2007, 02:59 PM
HeHeHe I said Vamp heheHe

featherelizabeth
05-19-2007, 07:41 PM
sounds awesome, dear..run with it!