PDA

View Full Version : a note on shame

Karen Johnson
05-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I'll try to make this short.

First memory of crossdressing was when I was 5 or 6. Have always been turned on by women's clothing.

Grew up in a society where that type of thing is ridiculed. Couldn't help the feelings. Over the years I would indulge myself whenever possible - which wasn't often. I never had my own things and would end up "borrowing" things from my sister and later my first wife.

When I was in my mid-forties I finally told my current wife about "Karen." It took a long time to build up the courage to admit this about myself. (It took a long time to admit it to myself. I was in my forties before I finally realized that I was a transvestite.)

And now the point of this thread. After telling my wife the shame left me. I like to wear women't clothes. So what? It's nobody's business but my own and it doesn't make me a bad person. Something about telling another person can be such a liberating experience. Now I don't care too much if someone else knows. I don't advertise it, but if someone else found out I could live with it.

Living in shame is a horrible thing. I am so grateful for this forum and the sense of belonging that comes with it.

Mitch23
05-19-2007, 11:20 AM
i can identify with that - the shame goes away. The difficulties remain but no shame. I'm a crossdresser - so big deal!

mitch

Kate Simmons
05-19-2007, 12:11 PM
There is absolutely no shame in being yourself Karen.:happy:

Jocelyn Quivers
05-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I think the most liberating experience for myself was when I admitted that I was a crossdresser. I also agree being able to tell someone else is very liberating. Jocelyn

Dixie
05-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Yes I know what you mean. Over the last six months my wife and I, more I then she, have grown way more comfortable and secure about who I am. Last night we were shooting pool at "the bar" in town with a GG who is 6'3" tall. She is a pretty good friend of ours, so my wife asks her what size shoe she wears in men's and women's. She is a 12 women's. My wife asks her where, if she had to buy a pair of high heels in a twelve, would she go? She told us and then with a confused look on her face says Why? My wife says, "We can't find a place to buy heels anywhere that fit him and we need to be able to try them on to make sure they fit." I just about choked on my beer I couldn't believe that she said that. Our friend looks at me and says "You want to buy heels for yourself, is it for a costume??" I just smiled and said yes. Afterwards I really enjoyed the experience. She never even considered that I am a Crossdresser, just went straight to "costume" all by herself, and Halloween is what, 5 or 6 months away yet.

stormrider
05-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I grew up with the same shame which lasted into my forties also. Both of my wives were convinced I was a pervert. I was too for many of my years. Now I have accepted myself and like you, the shame goes away. I don't advertise myself, but I aam not ashamed of myself either.

az_azeel
05-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I can relate to this, I told Alexis before we were actually an Item and it is wonderfull to have someone who is so understanding. However I still feel embarrased when I ask her if I can go and put something on.. can't expalin that one lol...

take care :hugs:

Angie G
05-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I never felt shame about dressing even befor my wife know I just never felt it was a bad thing :hugs:
Angie

kerrianna
05-19-2007, 05:47 PM
You are so right about that Karen. Shame doesn't like the daylight. Glad you've been able to get Karen out in the open. Live free and easy girl. :hugs:

trannie T
05-19-2007, 06:30 PM
I am ashamed that I stole mom's panties. There is no other shame associated with my crossdressing, in fact, I'm kind of proud of myself for having the courage to go out en femme.

edina1
05-19-2007, 06:42 PM
and I can never quite work out whether I'd like it to be so shame-free that it would be normal... but thank goodness for people to talk to and ways to learn acceptance and the chance to see no need to hate oneself