PDA

View Full Version : Quasi-Acceptence...

Karren H
05-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I think I just had a taste of acceptence.... smallish in comparison but definately not Un-Acceptence...

We were at the mall so the son could drop of his tux from the prom last night, and while he was inside, my wife and I were setting in the van, chatting.... And this little old lady pulls up along side, parks and gets out.. I comment "looks like she's dressed for winter" and my wife replys "that's going to be what you look like when you get that age"..... Huh?? She smiles and I say "Yeah but not in a pair of bright pink polyester slacks like she's wearing, I perfer skirts" She looks at me and kind of cracks a smile.... kind of and just shakes her head.....

WOW..... That's like neat!!! Made my day for sure......

Love Karren

Dixie
05-19-2007, 04:36 PM
:thumbsup:Sure beats the "Your sleeping on the coach tonight, you freak!" alternitive.:D

Elizabeth Ann
05-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Good. It seems that these joking little remarks are sometimes the only safe way to deal with a subject that can't be discussed directly. The other day in the middle of a lot of rushing around, my wife said, "don't get your panties in a bunch." I got that same semi-smile you got, and the mood improved considerably.

Elizabeth

Kate Simmons
05-19-2007, 05:08 PM
At least you'll look like a little old lady. I'd probably end up looking like "Quasi"modo.:heehee:

Siobhan Marie
05-19-2007, 05:16 PM
At least you'll look like a little old lady. I'd probably end up looking like "Quasi"modo.:heehee:

Sal, I'm saying nothing :lol::lol:

:hugs: Anna x

paulaN
05-19-2007, 05:19 PM
My wife has done some things like that to me too. I don't know about you and your wife Karen. But when my wife does do things like that to me it makes my heart jump a bit and I feel so much better about me. The thing is she has no idea how really good it makes me feel inside. even when I tell her she still has no idea how it makes me feel.

Angie G
05-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I think you will make a good looking old lady Karren :hugs:
Angie

Rachel Morley
05-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Every little helps! I probabaly already told you this, but my wife says that gentle exposure to something you are not too keen on is a good thing if you are looking to improve on your current position. She also says sometimes cding for SOs can be like trying new food - you have to have a taste of it at least 10 times before you start to get a liking for it.

In other words, the more you see and hear about something (on your own terms and your own exposure), the less threatening it becomes. Maybe, just maybe, your wife is beginning to think about things and she is less threatened and is now (somewhat) quasi-accepting. :happy:

Di
05-19-2007, 06:31 PM
"WOW..... That's like neat!!! Made my day for sure"

I think it's neat too:D.....

Alice B
05-19-2007, 06:45 PM
That's interesting. I had wondered if your wife knew and had thought about asking you.:hugs:

Alice B
05-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Duh. I guess I should have read a few more posts before asking my last question. Sorry for the stupidy.:love:

Jenna1561
05-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Karren, That's neat and puts a great big smile on my face, particularly picturing you as a babushka traipsing through the snow on your way to a clearance sale at Kohls. :D

Jenna

Dasein9
05-19-2007, 07:15 PM

Not with that smile, you won't. :love:

featherelizabeth
05-19-2007, 07:20 PM
fantastic, girlie...new roads, new frontiers...right on!

TxKimberly
05-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I figure when you have lost the sense of humor, its time to hang up the skates!
Kim

Carin
05-20-2007, 02:38 AM
She looks at me and kind of cracks a smile.... kind of and just shakes her head.....

Was that a "There you go again, you being you.." kind of smile? Acceptance comes in all shapes and sizes.

So yes, definately I would agree, a non-unaccepting (love your double negatives), quasi hopefull possibly OK sort-of thingy. :D

Truely, I am happy for you. :thumbsup:

brenya
05-20-2007, 02:51 AM
That's great, it may be a small one but I say it's a victory :thumbsup:

Bridget Fitzgerald
05-20-2007, 03:06 AM
That is the coolest thing ever Karen. Your a killer example and good Karma is due to you

RachelDenise
05-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Slowly, surely, little by little. You'll probably look better and still be setting the pace for the rest of us as a little old woman!

Jenny Beth
05-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Aha, it's the thin edge of the wedge I tell you! Humour is the best way to get around her disapproval, we have to be able to laugh at ourselves. Congrats, it's a step in the right direction.

flatlander_48
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I think I just had a taste of acceptence.... smallish in comparison but definately not Un-Acceptence...

We were at the mall so the son could drop of his tux from the prom last night, and while he was inside, my wife and I were setting in the van, chatting.... And this little old lady pulls up along side, parks and gets out.. I comment "looks like she's dressed for winter" and my wife replys "that's going to be what you look like when you get that age"..... Huh?? She smiles and I say "Yeah but not in a pair of bright pink polyester slacks like she's wearing, I perfer skirts" She looks at me and kind of cracks a smile.... kind of and just shakes her head.....

Love Karren

It is a game of inches and sometimes we forget that. We're talking about major changes in mindset and those don't necessarily come easy. However, with patience good things can happen.

Glenda
05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
It feels good when the acceptance comes home with us. Congrats.

Mitch23
05-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Good. It seems that these joking little remarks are sometimes the only safe way to deal with a subject that can't be discussed directly. The other day in the middle of a lot of rushing around, my wife said, "don't get your panties in a bunch." I got that same semi-smile you got, and the mood improved considerably.

Elizabeth
I get little bits of banter like that - dressing to go out she said 'youre not getting an outfit from the car' (knowing that my gear is stored there) but with a twinke. then the next day we get a more negative response. i guess there will be ups and downs but were still talking and im getting a little more confident in discussion now. still thinks its an illness which can be cured though and wont go to support group or access this site

mitch

Glenda58
05-20-2007, 12:45 PM
It's only baby steps now but someday maybe you won't have to change in the men's room and change at home without the hockey equipment in the bag.

susie evans
05-20-2007, 10:10 PM
karren miracles never sease my wife was like that for years and then one day i think it was after the fourth kid got married she figured it was easer to join in and have fun that to trade me in on sme one else she might have to train all over agin :heehee:

susie

Lovely Rita
05-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Wonderful. It sounds pretty positive to me.

linnea
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
That would make my day too! What a wonderful step in the right direction. I think that all people have to struggle with change and differences in perception to some degree or another. They often need "permission" to acknowledge and express acceptance. When an opportunity comes up, they can occasionally use it to deal with an issue or situation that they have struggled with. Sometimes people who could not otherwise deal with changes or new ways of perceiving actually wait for a "sign."
In this case, it seems as though the sign was the older woman getting out of her car, and Karren's wife was there to observe and to share an observation that gave her an opening to talk about what is still an uncomfortable topic for her.
Now that she's done it once, I would guess that it will happen again--maybe soon. She teased on this occasion. I think that that's a very good sign.
All that being said, I'm just delighted that it happened and somewhat envious. Perhaps my SO will see her "sign" and take a step in Linnea's direction one day.
Thank you so much for sharing this, Karren!

carolinewalker_2000
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Now that is the sort of remark I would just LOVE to hear coming from my SO!!!!!

Toyah
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Love Karren

Wow at least you wont end up ;ooking like me now that would suck