PDA

View Full Version : Piercings For Butching Up

Dasein9
05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
I guess I have to offer a big recommendation for a NO on the high-ear ones in the cartilage. Just got my second infection in four months, and removed the sucker.

What do y'all think -- an ear cuff instead? No piercing involved. :D

Cai
05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
I feel you, Das, I've had horrible ear infections from earrings. (Apparently I'm allergic to nickel and silver metal.)

Ear cuffs are pretty cool looking, I think.

Question Mark
05-22-2007, 01:02 PM
*looks up ear cuff*

Yeah, that would probably be a safer idea. You could try magnetic stuff too, but that sounds like a recipe for frantic backing-searches.

ZenFrost
05-22-2007, 01:07 PM
If it causes problems, then don't bother. Ear cuffs look as good as ear rings IMHO so I'd say go for it.

Dasein9
05-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeh, I think there must've been nickel in my barbell, and that would contribute to irritation.

Just mentioned it in case someone else could benefit from my mistake. :D

Cai
05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
*looks up ear cuff*

Yeah, that would probably be a safer idea. You could try magnetic stuff too, but that sounds like a recipe for frantic backing-searches.

Magnetic earrings HURT if you wear them more than a few hours. Basically your ear is being pinched fairly hard for a long time. :eek:

GACountrygal
05-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Hey Das,
I have had cartilidge piercings several times, and the problem I always had with infection was hair product (gel, mouse, leave in conditioner) getting on the piercing and causing inflamation. The last time I had cartilidge piercings done (actually bought the kit from Walmart and SO did em for me) I had to be very careful if I put anything in my hair, and had to wipe down my ear with a damp cloth after.

Ear cuffs would be a cool way to get around a piercing, and they look awesome as well!!

Nic

Tamara Croft
05-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Das, question - how did they pierce it? gun or needle?

Dasein9
05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Gun, I think. I remember it was the safest option. Had it done back in September.

It was sooooo nice to sleep on my right side last night! Hadn't done that without propping my face up on my fist for a very long time.

sobe1ove GG
05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Gun, I think. I remember it was the safest option. Had it done back in September.

It was sooooo nice to sleep on my right side last night! Hadn't done that without propping my face up on my fist for a very long time.

Yeah, if you go to a piercing shop that primarily uses a gun, think twice about them. Piercing guns in the piercing industry are usually used by amateurs. The great thing about them using just a plain old needle is that they use the whole thing once and discard it. It's harder to have that kind of sterility with a gun. That might be why yours got infected.

It seems like some people just can't be pierced, though. I've known people who kept getting pierced and would always get infections or their body would reject the jewelry. Then there are people like me who have never had an infection and can just be pierced all up and down. It would suck if you're the infection type. It might not be worth it to get pierced again. I say stick to the cuff.

Dasein9
05-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeh, all I really recall is having it explained to me, and I chose the option that used a brand-new needle and where it was discarded. I just don't remember how it was done, since I couldn't watch.

I'm thinking a sterling silver cuff is the way to go. Now, just to find one.

The whole reason for the piercing in the first place was to keep my pencil behind my ear, which became a problem with my shorter haircuts.

Tamara Croft
05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Gun :OMG: They banned that in the UK, it's classed as body piercing now... you have to have it done the same way they pierce your naval ;) And, having it done via gun is probably why it got infected :(

Kieron Andrew
05-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Gun :OMG: They banned that in the UK, it's classed as body piercing now... you have to have it done the same way they pierce your naval ;) And, having it done via gun is probably why it got infected :(
yup im with Tam on this one

Question Mark
05-23-2007, 03:27 PM
XD There're probably other ways to keep a pencil behind your ear, Das, though an ear cuff is probably one of the less dorky solutions. :P

Dasein9
05-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Oh, I don't mind being dorky. That's something to look forward to with the getting older -- not caring about dorkiness and such.

Oddly enough, for the first time in my life, almost everything in my music collection is approved of by the Cool Police. The key is to not care, and play the old stuff that you like. If you don't care what other people think, they fall all over themselves trying to be like you. Weird, eh?

Abraxas
05-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Ooh!
I, for one, love ear cuffs. If you do end up getting a sterling silver one, though, I think those ones tend to tarnish easily, and they'd be hard to clean with silver cleaner. I'm not 100% sure, though. Another option is stainless steel, if you prefer the silver look to the gold look (which I do-- gold makes me look jaundiced).

Dasein9
05-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Yeh, the barbell was supposed to be stainless. I think I'll stick to the antibacterial metal. Besides, a swipe with toothpaste, and the tarnish goes bye-bye!

pocoyo
05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
White gold is good if u like silver jewellery but can't wear anything but gold....
I used to have really sensitive ears that got sore easily.
They heal up really fast when I don't wear anything in them. I'm always having to pop them open again haha ew :p

Abraxas
05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Toothpaste removes tarnish? Cool, I didn't know that. I'd imagine it's cheaper than silver cleaner, too.
Not that I own any silver, haha!