PDA

View Full Version : Find your voice.

ToyGirl
05-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi everyone ,

I've seen a few voice related threads in the past in the CD section of the site and most people had stated that having a female voice was not important to them. Although a small few seemed to think it was a good thing.
For this reason I posted this in the TS section as I think ALL TS should put some thought into this. I apologise upfront to the FTM's that this is directed at FTM's but maybe some of it is worth reading I don't know :p

I have no qualifications to be giving any advice other than that it was something that was important to me and that i put alot of effort into. I have not read any books on it , or listened to the training video's so i am unsure of what advice they contained or the levels of success they hoped to provide.

-Onto the positives !

I think alot of people think of there voice as something that lets them down or that is something that will 'out' them. I like to think of it as tool we have that works on our side that helps us to 'pass' and just makes people more confortable around us and talking to us.

As a teen I ended up with the worsed voice a little TS could imagine (I didn't transition till i was 26). It was deep and I hated it to the point of I stopped talking unless i really had to, there were points in my life I would talk so little that when I did have to speak for 20 mins or so, I would get quite sore. So from this I know that even with a bad starting point there is hope , and that you can get through life pretty much without speaking. Just a smile and a lipsync works fine in most encounters etc.

The basic difference between male and female voice is that the male is more monotone and lower , and the females is higher and more melodic. Men generally project there voice from there chest growl from there belly :p
Where as a female wants to project there voice from there head. Though I think this happens by itself as your raise or lower your pitch. For me and I assume most girls , the pitch you want to speak at would be between your male voice and mickeymouse/falsetto (someone said they still sound like goofy , silly :p)

I don't know about everyone else , but I am a magnificent singer in my mind , but I sound like a drowned cat by the time I get it out into an actual sound. While I have managed to be able to project my inner voice, i still cannot sing for the life of me.

The point is find your inner voice , what you would like to sound like as realistically as you can. I used to try and sing in the car i'd find some songs that agree'd with me more than others, I also found the car a perfect spot to practice if you have little privacy elsewhere. I think finding a song line or a favourite line from a movie that you can learn to emulate is a good place to start, it also will help you get into the zone for when you need to 'get back' to your voice. Once you can emulate one line , or bits and pieces your well on your way to speaking naturally , from there it is just a matter of learning new lines and making up your own, It took me about 2 years to get from this point to being able to comfortably speak with a stranger or friend.

Even when i had a 'female voice' that i could put on, doing it in front of people was proving an issue for me. I remember saying over and over in the car in my best voice 'Could i get a quarter chicken and chips please!' i finally got to the speakerbox wound down the window and said 'LUKE , I AM YOUR FATHER' well i did't say that exactly but i sure as hell did sound like Darth Vader.

Phones, Skype and voice chats are your friend. It's all about practice practice practice. It took me quite a while to be able to speak on voice chats to my friends (that knew i was TS). My best friend dragged someone into our skype call that didn't know i was TS , and that was an experience but i managed to get through the conversation without making a mistake. Eventually i decided to start talking on Ventrillo to people that knew me as a female from games. I spent a year or so talking on voice chats and phones (and IRL) before I was confident at being able to talk to anyone anywhere and knowing my voice was working for me , and not against me.

In conclusion i hope someone can get something out of this , and i salvaged a small clip (380kb 12 seconds) of me talking to a friend on MSN (i do apoligise for MSN's low quality), so if anyones interest they can hear my voice. Yes i'm Aussie >.<

-Nicole

Click to hear (http://www.kitteh.org/files/toyn1.wav)

AllieSF
05-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the tips. You make some good points, especially where you find a line from a movie or song that fits you and then can return there to get re-orientated if you lose you "voice".

Nicole
05-23-2007, 12:46 AM
I feel that the voice is EXTREMELY important! I have always been a 'sound junkie'. Spent my youth addicted to sound FX records and playing with tape recorders, speeding up and slowing down the playback to make my voice sound strange. In my opinion, the brain processes sound faster than any other sense. Listening to an annoying jingle, just once, can rattle around in your memory for decades!

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fateful trip..."

LOL

Practicing my female voice in the car is the best place for me. The only significant issue is when I put my fingers on my throat to check for resonance. Can't do that at a stoplight without the people ahead of me thinking "what IS he doing?".

Tamera
05-23-2007, 05:54 AM
I remember when I first started experimenting with voices. It sounded more like;
Joan Jett,
or Pat Benatar.
LOL
Tamera

TG-Taru
05-24-2007, 02:43 AM
i finally got to the speakerbox wound down the window and said 'LUKE , I AM YOUR FATHER'

:laughing:

I often try to sing along at the computer, sometimes record, and try to speak. Haven't really tried to perfect it yet.

Di
05-24-2007, 03:02 AM
I remember when I first started experimenting with voices. It sounded more like;
Joan Jett,
or Pat Benatar.
LOL
Tamera

Good company:thumbsup:

Calliope
05-24-2007, 06:05 PM
It sounded more like; Joan Jett, or Pat Benatar.

What really works for me is Peggy Lee's LP Sugar N Spice (1964). She's got a low range with a fat bottom. Also check her voiceover as Lady in Disney's Lady and The Tramp.

ToyGirl
05-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I spoke with a group of genetic ladies today in a conference aged around 30 - 60 and most of them didnt have cliche feminine voices , infact a few of them sounded questionable. So yes you can do ok with a deeper voice.

Leah B
05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
What's a good program to start with for voice? There are a few CDs (compact discs that is) out there that look okay, but I don't want to buy a dud. And how well does self-teaching work? I suppose it depends on the student somewhat, but can I expect good results from these? And how long does it take to see results? How much practice daily is suggested?

I hear a lot about TSes getting the voice down, but not so often of CDs doing it. Is it something that only the most devoted can attain?

Jacqui
05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Judging from your clip, I can't even imagine, "Luke, I am your father" coming out of your mouth.

You sound very feminine and beautiful! Congratulations and thanks for the tips..

Jacqui

Rita B
05-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I had one of those survey calls the other night. Something about what tv program I was watching. It was a young lady on the line ( from Ontario, go figure). Anyhow I must have been tired and my voice must have sounded high and weak on the phone because she kept referring to me as Ma'am so i went along with it. I put on my most feminine manners even calling her Honey. She asked for address and name so I had to give her my wife's name. That was fun!

Rita in new england

CaptLex
05-26-2007, 09:48 PM
For this reason I posted this in the TS section as I think ALL TS should put some thought into this. I apologise upfront to the FTM's that this is directed at FTM's but maybe some of it is worth reading I don't know :p
No need to apologize, ToyGirl - I appreciate your sharing this with everyone.

The basic difference between male and female voice is that the male is more monotone and lower , and the females is higher and more melodic. Men generally project there voice from there chest growl from there belly :p
This is what I've heard, but I still can't get it to come out right. My voice is a major sore point with me 'cause it's a lot deeper now, but it still sounds female to people on the phone - a female with a cold, apparently. And in a noisy place I have to raise it to be heard which makes it crack and croak like a frog. :rolleyes: Then I have to hum for a while to get it back to normal, at which point someone told me I sounded like a robot. Oy!

Thanks for the voice clip - I love Aussie accents, so I wouldn't have minded hearing more. :happy:

ToyGirl
05-26-2007, 10:18 PM
No need to apologize, ToyGirl - I appreciate your sharing this with everyone.

This is what I've heard, but I still can't get it to come out right. My voice is a major sore point with me 'cause it's a lot deeper now, but it still sounds female to people on the phone - a female with a cold, apparently. And in a noisy place I have to raise it to be heard which makes it crack and croak like a frog. :rolleyes: Then I have to hum for a while to get it back to normal, at which point someone told me I sounded like a robot. Oy!

Thanks for the voice clip - I love Aussie accents, so I wouldn't have minded hearing more. :happy:

Your welcome Cap, most everyone has a 'phone' voice wich seems to be higher. I notice my male friends when there in confronting or a needing to be extra male situation really drop super low and monotone, obviously i havn't heard you but maybe try talking a little slower and really concentrate on holding that low pitch steady.

I think the other things with the male voice is be less polite , less excitable make it sound like you'd rather be somewhere else, and don't forget to swear when appropriate.

and robots arent so bad, long as they didnt say fembot !

-Thanks Jacqui
-Way to go Rita , i love calling people hun and stuff too :)

The Gas Man Cometh
06-07-2007, 11:04 PM
You have a lovely voice, Toy.

Siobhan Marie
06-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Nicole, I just wanted to say a big thank you for posting those tips. I'll certainly bear them in mind as I think that I'm going to need all the help that I can get. :hugs::hugs:

:hugs: Anna x

Maggie Kay
06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I practice my voice a lot and really don't like speaking in my old one. The problem is that my SO interprets my higher pitch as if I'm whining. It has caused some difficulties as she thinks of me like I was with a deeper voice. Same old song, next verse....