PDA

View Full Version : Welcome news for tolerance

Satrana
05-25-2007, 04:10 AM
A female councillor who was born a man and fathered two children has been sworn in as Britain's first transsexual mayor.

Jenny Bailey, a 45-year-old Liberal Democrat became the civic leader of Cambridge City Council on Thursday.

Bailey -- who fathered two children during a marriage before having a sex change operation in her 30s's -- was joined by her transexual partner Jennifer Liddle, who will now become the mayoress.

"This is fantastic," she said to loud applause, donning her mayoral robes and posing for photographs with Liddle.

In an interview with the Times newspaper before her investiture, she said becoming mayor was a great honour.

"I'm proud that I managed to get through something which was quite difficult and managed to come out of it a better person. If you ask me what are the things that define me, I would say being a parent, an engineer, a woman.

"When you go through transgender experience and come through the other side, you are just happy to get on with normal life, normal problems, so this is a wonderful opportunity. I certainly do not want it to eclipse being mayor."

Bailey had been Cambridge's deputy mayor. Her term in office as mayor lasts one year.

"People can take me as they want. But for transgender people, all we want is to disappear and become normal, so I don't want to let it define me," she added.

Calliope
05-25-2007, 02:52 PM
"But for transgender people, all we want is to disappear and become normal, so I don't want to let it define me," she added.

Hey, please don't "disappear" too much, 'cause this is the sort of push society needs. But, yeah, now start mayoring.