PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody want to join a college sorority?

Sheri 4242
05-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Would any of you want to join a college sorority? Would you go through the formal initiation ceremony to be able to join?

HAS, in fact, anyone here (CD's or TS's, not our GG's) actually been initiated into a sorority? (If any of you GGs were in a sorority in college, chime in and let me know, plus what you think about this overall post.)

I guess this may sound silly, and I really can't explain why, but for 35 years I have had a burning desire to be initiated as a member of a college sorority!!! It is an absolutely INTENSE desire that I have been unable to shake for 35 years!!!!!!! I couldn't be on an official membership scroll -- unless it was under my femme name as an honorary initiate. But, even knowing that I just went through the formal initiation ceremony and couldn't ever be on the membership scroll, I'd pay the fees to the chapter -- and I'd pay the necessary number of members needed to conduct the ceremony for their time!!! However it needed to be conducted, it would be okay with me!!!

About 35 years ago, a college fraternity buddy of mine ran into a newly initiated (initiated that very day) sorority member he knew from taking some of the same courses. Anyway, they went to a party at our fraternity house and she got very, very drunk! When they left the party, for reasons unknown, she told him ALL of that sorority's secrets, down to their handshake, ritual, symbolism, and password, etc. TO THIS VERY day he has kept that sorority's secret just as if he was an actual member -- to which I have always said, "what honor, trustworthiness, and dignity -- he deserves to go through the formal initiation (which is very nice for that group -- all the memebers and initiates wear white dresses). I truly believe he RICHLY DESERVES THIS!!!!!!! (This is just like one of the oldest and most prestigious fraternities which has a female initiate for special loyalty "above and beyond," and just like another fraternity that got the proverbial "wild hair" and formally initiated a GG. In both cases, the initiate was extremely loyal.

I might not ever be able to get a membership document -- I might not be able to get a formal membership pin (though I could get a necklace with the sorority's greek initials). Regardless, this is something I'd give almost anything to accomplish.

SO, HAS ANYONE ELSE ever felt this way about a college sorority? I know it may sound silly, but I feel it would "complete me" as a CD in so very many ways. Any ideas? I really want to mke this come true -- and I suspect some of you might have the same desire!!!

battybattybats
05-25-2007, 04:59 AM
Maybe you could start a CD/TG Sorority?

That way you get to design the perfect initiation.

Kerry Owens
05-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Batty is right. You can start a sorority in college, define it for CD/TG membership. I would expect a larger college would have greater numbers of students who would fall into that group and also welcome a sorority for a special group of people.

Sheri 4242
05-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Maybe you could start a CD/TG Sorority? That way you get to design the perfect initiation.

Good idea! Maybe I could get MsJanessa to work on the perfect ritual initiation?!!! :dom: That certainly has possibilities!!!

The only problem I see -- and it is something that will require some deep think -- is that I have aways wanted to be initiated into a real GG sorority, like Phi Mu or the like!!! :doll:

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself, so these are quick examples, but who knows . . . Carin might want to be an ADPi?!!! Sharon might want to be a ZTA?!!! :idontknow: The possibilities go on and on!!!

So, the bottom line is I really like the idea of starting a sorority -- can even see it as becoming a real sorority. My desire, though -- what I have always dreamed about -- is to be initiated into a real GG sorority!!!!!!!

Barbara

((( If we start one of our own, just don't make it Zeta Eta Theta!!! LOL!!! :tongueout )))

Dixie
05-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Never had that desire, but it sounds like it could be fun!:D

Kathielynne
05-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I was never a frat boy, but sororities are a different matter. Think "Legally Blonde" and the early scene where all the girls are primping or execising in the morning. Yeah, I could so be that!

kathielynne, where do I pledge? :heehee:

jessie_cal
05-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Oh god no. There's only so much giggling the human mind can stand before it starts to shut down.:D

celeste26
05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Sounds like something from Fictionmania, purely ficticious and not likely to ever legitimately happen. Maybe in the movies! Oh gee, hasn't that happened in the movies already?

Kate Simmons
05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Lessee, a 60 year old guy who crossdresses going to college and wanting to join a sorority of early twenty somethings? Hmm--Sounds like a challenge to me but I think I'd probably have a better chance of pulling it off if I were 20 years younger. Still, the idea is tempting.:p

MJ
05-25-2007, 09:04 AM
ok i have never herd of a sorority? what does this mean ?? i am from :ukflag: you know

Stephenie S
05-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Well, it does sound sort of silly to me.

But gee, hon, if you are really willing to pay out all that money just for the experience, why don't you contact a sorority and ask? Many sororities struggle for money, and you seem willing to lay out a pretty substantial lump of cash here. Your fantasy seems doable to me. You may have to search around a bit, but I bet you could do it.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Sheri 4242
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
ok i have never herd of a sorority? what does this mean ?? i am from :ukflag: you know

Sorry, MJ -- you know us Americans ((( *giggle* -- trying to get in sorority girl mode ))) many of us presume the world revolves around us. That's not me -- I was just suffering from a momentary mental lapse. ((( You know, not to digress too much, but it is amazing we can even talk to each other -- what's the line from that musical? "In America they haven't spoken (English) in years." ))) Okay, I'll stop -- don't want to tread on Karren's forte'.

Ok, anyway, at most American colleges and universities they have "social organizations" -- often referred to as the Greeks b/c each different sorority and fraternity is known by a Greek name that corresponds to two or three Greek letters. For example, one fraternity is known as Sigma Alpha Epsilon (or S-A-E). All of these so-called "Greek" social orginizations have weekly meetings during the school term AND they have "secret rituals" that contain symbolsm that is, supposedly, meaningful to strength of character, as well as a uniting factor for the brotherhood (fraternities) or sisterhood (sororities).

A former academic colleague of mine, who is BIG in the Masonic Order (often called F&AM for Free and Accepted Masons) -- which you do have in the UK (in fact, the first F&AM lodge to come to "the colonies" was Solomon's Lodge #1, AF&AM which was established in Savannah, Georgia) -- well, where was I -- oh, this professor did a great deal of research and found that the rituals of American fraternities and sororities had to have been written by members of the Masons (there is too much in common, in re rituals), althouh the rituals of the fraternities and sororities are much shorter and most of the time are much, much more simple than the Masonic rituals.

The upside of "the Greek system" is it helps with social contacts, dating, etc., encourages (or is supposd to) academic achievment (though that often is the exact opposite in reality), and establishes relationships that are often life-long (and can extend into the business world). The downside is that many (if not most) of these groups "can be" snobish b/c there are more students that want to join than there is room to take them in -- and that, in turn, gives many a bad taste regarding them. The snob factor varries from campus to campus -- and even organization to organization. The S-A-E's for example, may be snobish on campus A, but at the bottom of the heap on campus B. The Greek system may be strong at the University of Georgia, of little imprtance at William & Mary College, and non-existant on some campuses, like Wesslyean in Macon, Georgia.

I hope this explains what I'm talking about. What I was saying when I startd this thread is that it would be a lifelong dream to be "initiated" into a sorority -- don't know why, except my CD-mind associates with them. For example, when I was an undergraduate working on my first degree, I hung out with this one paticular sorority (moreso than with my fraternity). It was like I was one of the girls! (In fact, another sorority on campus hosted a Mr. Beautiful Contest every year to raise money for charity -- and in this contest, each campus organization entered a guy who would dress up and vie for the crown, doing swimwear, evening wear, and a talent. I always represented the sorority I was speaking of -- the girls would dress me up, do my make-up, etc. -- then after the contest we'd go out as a group and they would insist that I stayed dressed. B/c I so readily went along with this, I think many of the girls realized I liked dressing up -- but it was the 70's!!!

Sheri 4242
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, it does sound sort of silly to me. But gee, hon, if you are really willing to pay out all that money just for the experience, why don't you contact a sorority and ask? Many sororities struggle for money, and you seem willing to lay out a pretty substantial lump of cash here. Your fantasy seems doable to me. You may have to search around a bit, but I bet you could do it. Lovies, Stephenie

GREAT idea, Stephenie!!! Thanks!!! I think that is one route I will pursue after I get all the different suggestions from the girls and our SO's. (I even think I know who I could approach to start with -- h'mmm.) Anyway, thanks for the input!!!

JoAnnDallas
05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Isn't Tri-Ess a form of sorority. My Tri-Ess chapter here in Dallas is the "Lambda Nu Tau" Chapter.

Hermione Simpson
05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
even though i live in the uk, i'll love to join one if i had the chance as it sounds like fun

Eva Diva
05-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I lived in a college town several years ago. At the beginning of each year, the sororities have a recruitment periond known as "rush". Since all the sorority houses were on the same street, you could drive by and see all the girls standing in groups in front of each house, waiting to be brought inside, or moved to the next house. The girls were usually in dresses, and most looked like clones of each other. On observation: most all were slender to average build, and very few were "big" girls. Since socializing is a big part of Greek life, no dead wood is allowed. Which brings me to the idea of a grown man joining a sorority.. :eek:

Many people I worked with looked down on the sorority girls, but personally, their penchance for LBDs was a redeeming factor to me. :D

Deidra Cowen
05-25-2007, 01:47 PM
I was a Frat boy back in the day! LOL I guess being in a sorority would be fun, but I would just settle for being about 18 and going back to college in this day and time.

Pretty sure I'd be a Tgirl almost fulltime with how much more open people are about us these days. Of course would have to pickout the right school. A nice university in a big libral city would fit the bill.

MJ
05-25-2007, 05:12 PM
thank you barb
so in a way this web site is like a sorority then ? ...or am i wrong thank you for the information

wtb Jessica
05-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Yes i would want to. In fact have thought of alwasy doing it ever scince i found out about that kind of stuff.:drink:

trannie T
05-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Tell me more about the initiation, are there spankings? Bondage? Small farm animals? When can I join?

Sheri 4242
05-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Tell me more about the initiation, are there spankings? Bondage? Small farm animals? When can I join?

Careful -- we don't want to step on Karren's comedy franchise - OTFL!!!

Some of the things you mention sound more like some of the fraternities I'm familiar with -- the use of paddles, and the occasional farm animal. One group specialized in what they called "stump broke cattle." (If you've never heard of that, maybe I should PM you.)

Sororities tend to be feminine (well, most of them are -- there ARE exceptions to every rule -- OTFL again). Some are more dittzy than others -- some are shallow -- some are (ahem) elegantly ****ty (now THAT is an oxymoron).

In college, I was in a fraternity and pretty active, but nothing has stuck with me from my college days like the sense of sisterhood I felt when with the girls of one particular sorority.

Sheri 4242
05-26-2007, 03:36 AM
so in a way this web site is like a sorority then ?

Hi, MJ! I guess you could say that this website is "sort of" a "cyber" sorority, sans secret rituals, etc.

Isn't Tri-Ess a form of sorority. My Tri-Ess chapter here in Dallas is the "Lambda Nu Tau" Chapter.

JoAnn: Tri-Ess "mimicks" college sororities only insofar as they use Greek letters to designate different chapters. The formal name of the organization is, as you know, "The Society for the Second Self," but it doesn't have secret rituals, etc. Tri-Ess's own description of what the organization is, states, in part, that "Tri-Ess is an educational, social and support group for heterosexual crossdressers, their partners, the spouses of married crossdressers and their families."

Sheri 4242
05-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, it does sound sort of silly to me.

But gee, hon, if you are really willing to pay out all that money just for the experience, why don't you contact a sorority and ask? Many sororities struggle for money, and you seem willing to lay out a pretty substantial lump of cash here. Your fantasy seems doable to me. You may have to search around a bit, but I bet you could do it.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Okay - I'm going to pursue this! Dreams are dreams, after all. (And, in some cases, I understand I'd only need a few members of the sorority to conduct the ceremony.)

NOW -- Does anybody have any thoughts on where??? Somebody mentioned finding a good liberal college or university -- wonder how you find out which are more liberal than others???

Maybe a personal ad in the classifieds of a campus newspaper would get responses of potential willing participants???

Anybody with any ideas, please let me know!!! Heck, if this works, maybe one initiation couldlead to three, which could lead to 100 of us -- heck, it might end up a huge chapter!!!

ashgagal
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Barbara- i am in Athens and i drive down sorority row every day and want to pledge them all! Would love the DDD girls helping me dress and do makeup.!
Cheers

Eva Diva
05-26-2007, 09:45 PM
From the little I know of sororities, a crossdresser would be more likely to get a face full of pepper spray from those girls than help with make-up. :eek:

Not exactly the progressive, libertarian sort. Think Laura Bush.

Sheri 4242
05-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi Barbara- i am in Athens and i drive down sorority row every day and want to pledge them all! Would love the DDD girls helping me dress and do makeup.!
Cheers

UGA would be fantastic, Ash!

( And, Go Dawgs! :drink: )

As a major Ga. fan (I got one of my post-graduate degrees from UGA) it would make my dream even better -- and well worth the drive from south Georgia! There are so many sororities up there. As you noted, the tri Deltas would be great! Phi Mu would be awesome, too! KD used to have a great chapter there -- as did the Zeta's (Zeta Tau Alpha) and Chi-O's (Chi Omega). I know that the Zeta's initiate their girls in beautiful white dresses!

I guess we couldn't be too choosey -- it would be awesome just to find five or six girls from the same one sorority to go along with what we want! Regardless, there has got to be a way of putting this in motion. I'm trying to remember the name of the UGA paper -- _The Red & Black_ I think. I wonder if the paper has a classified ad section??? Could put a carefully worded "line ad" in there -- and have whomever respond to a P.O. Box?

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that "making contact" is he most difficult part of this. Once that is done, I'll bet it wouldn't be difficult to find a few girls from one sorority to go along with an initiation ceremony for the right price (which Im willing to pay) . . . maybe a donation to the chapter general fund and an honorarium to the participating girls? (H'mmm -- maybe we could find a Psych major who is in summer semester???)

Ashgagal: once you get to ten posts you can send PM's to me. Let me know if you'd be interested in helping arrange this and in participating. Anybody else interested? (All are welcome, except Steve Spurier - LOL.)

Sheri 4242
05-26-2007, 11:36 PM
From the little I know of sororities, a crossdresser would be more likely to get a face full of pepper spray from those girls than help with make-up. :eek: Not exactly the progressive, libertarian sort. Think Laura Bush.

Eva,

Depends on the group. Some are, as you say, rather stuffy -- "Laura Bush" types; likewise, some are more the Paris Hilton types, and some are Brittney Spears types, and so on. Each group (from what I have observed over the years) sort of takes on a "group personality" based on the local membership. (I grew up thinking I wanted to be in the same fraternity that my dad had been in, but he repeatedly cautioned me that it was the chapter, not the national fraternity name that I should consider. ACTUALLY, had I been who I knew I was supposed to be, I would have undertaken this project many years ago.)

Eva Diva
05-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Cheers

South Milledge St.? Have a beer at The Globe for me. :D

Sheri 4242
05-27-2007, 12:25 AM
South Milledge St.? Have a beer at The Globe for me. :D

:drink:

Quite "do-able" -- will be in Athens in next few weeks!

:cheer: Go Dawgs! :cheer:

KarenSusan
05-27-2007, 12:34 AM
When I was in college I was a GDI (g*d da**ed independant). It is not likely I would want to join a soroity.

Fab Karen
05-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Ok, anyway, at most American colleges and universities they have "social organizations" -- often referred to as the Greeks b/c each different sorority and fraternity is known by a Greek name that corresponds to two or three Greek letters. For example, one fraternity is known as Sigma Alpha Epsilon (or S-A-E). All of these so-called "Greek" social orginizations have weekly meetings during the school term AND they have "secret rituals" that contain symbolsm that is, supposedly, meaningful to strength of character, as well as a uniting factor for the brotherhood (fraternities) or sisterhood (sororities).

Or for the short-form answer, rent the movie "Animal House" :D