PDA

View Full Version : Saw my new shrink yesterday

Taylor105
05-26-2007, 07:22 AM
I just moved to Alabama two months ago. While in Texas I had the same shrink for 13 years. I really loved the guy and we had an awesome working relationship. Towards the end of my living in Texas I came out to him and he had no problem whatsoever in calling me Taylor. Although he really had problems with the pronouns. He tried nonetheless. Anyway, I am on countless meds so I had to get a new shrink once I moved here. I decided that I was going to immediately clue him into the fact that I am male and my name is Taylor. Of course my birth name is on the chart but I decided that I really wanted this new guy to know ME. And I told myself before I went in there that if he didn't like it or wouldn't try to accept it then I could just go somewhere else. He was too cool. I'm not sure he knows much about trans but he was very accepting. He immediately wrote on my chart by my birthname "Taylor" in big red letters. lol So anyway, I got home and the phone rang pretty much five minutes later. It was his office. I picked up the phone and was like "Hello?" There was a lady on the other end "Taylor?" Anyway, she was calling with a list of therapists for me to possibly see and I went ahead and let her know that I was seeking help in Montgomery. I know it's kinda a small thing but it made me feel good to answer the phone and have a professional business immediately address me as Taylor and not Michelle!! lol I needed the smile. Just thought I would share.

pocoyo
05-26-2007, 07:25 AM
That makes me smile too... good for you mate.
Well done for being true to yourself and I'm really pleased that the dr is being understanding and accepting.

Felix
05-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Oh I'm so happy for you my friend :hugs::hugs::hugs: xx Felix

Abraxas
05-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow, mate, that's really cool. I know a lot of people who've had a terrible time finding a good therapist and you've managed to get two! Lucky guy :D
Hope everything continues to go well!

CaptLex
05-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Well done, Taylor, good for you for standing up for yourself that way. Hope all goes well with your therapy. :happy:

Tristan
05-26-2007, 12:30 PM
That's great, Taylor. Hope it goes well.

My counselor didn't know my female name till I signed the paperwork but never ever calls me by it. It's great knowing I can go and be called Tristan.

ZenFrost
05-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Well, it's usually the little things that count. Rock on dude!

CaptLex
05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Ha ha, Michelle??? that does NOT work at all in my mind!!:heehee:
I agree, Ace, the name Michelle does not compute with Taylor's pics. He definitely looks like a Taylor to me too.

Taylor105
05-27-2007, 08:50 AM
LOL I know. I don't think I have ever looked like a Michelle. I'm not ashamed of what my mother named me therefore I'm not ashamed to share the name with you guys but I sure the heck am never ever going to go by it.

I was in a psych hospital over last Christmas and New Years because I was very suicidal. There was this old nurse who was like 75 or something. She continually called me Michelle. She knew I went by Taylor but she kept calling me Michelle. Finally one day I looked at her and said "you will get much better results with me and recognition if you call me by my true name which is Taylor" From then on every time she tried to get my attention by calling me Michelle I would ignore her or look around the room and say "Is there a Michelle in here?" lol She would get so pissed. haha

GypsyKaren
05-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi Taylor

My name change doesn't go through for another 2 weeks yet, so of course all of my doctors and such have to keep my male name on my records for the insurance companies. The thing that amazed me was that all of them, no matter what kind of practice it is, asked me first off what I preferred to be called, wrote Karen on the top of my chart, and never fail to call me that. This is one of the lessons I have learned since I started my transition, that people can be kind if you give them the chance.

Oh yeah, just one other thing I would like to say to you guys...I think all of you are totally awesome, I really do, and you command my respect, something I don't give out lightly.

Karen

Dasein9
05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
There was this old nurse who was like 75 or something. She continually called me Michelle. She knew I went by Taylor but she kept calling me Michelle. Finally one day I looked at her and said "you will get much better results with me and recognition if you call me by my true name which is Taylor" From then on every time she tried to get my attention by calling me Michelle I would ignore her or look around the room and say "Is there a Michelle in here?" lol She would get so pissed. haha

Good.

For.

You!

:drink:

bi_weird
05-27-2007, 09:12 PM
DUDE that's excellent! Congrats on finding a good shrink!

Laurie909
05-28-2007, 02:37 AM
I agree, Ace, the name Michelle does not compute with Taylor's pics. He definitely looks like a Taylor to me too.

Yeah, you definitely DON'T look like a Michelle.

Taylor105
05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks all. I truly appreciate all of you.

CaptLex
05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah, just one other thing I would like to say to you guys...I think all of you are totally awesome, I really do, and you command my respect, something I don't give out lightly.

Karen
Thanks, Karen, it's good to have allies - here and in RL. :hugs: