PDA

View Full Version : Long Nails are Cute But!!!

Glenda58
05-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Going to be dressing for 3 days in a roll. So got my nails done and had nail extensions put on. And they look great. But now I'm getting ready to go out I can't hook my bra the nail to long. Having problem opening makeup bottle can't get the eye shadow wand out and hold it mascara was ruff but finally got it done. Put a nail thought my pantyhose. Zipper on my skirt was harder to pull up. Couldn't get the backs on my earrings watch clash was harder to do.

The nails good great but next time I think I'll just get them a little short than this It's also harder to type.

Have any of you ladies had this problem with longer nails?

DanaJ
05-27-2007, 10:49 AM
LOL yep, been there done that. Like with almost everything else femme, practice practice practice. Just wait until you go to open a car door or have to go to the bathroom :)

Paulacder
05-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Not to mention changing the radio station on your car radio, Latching the clasp on a neckless or a bracelet, Fumbling with the small buckle on the strap on a pair of heels. I think the back on a earring would be impossible.:love:

Holly
05-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Been there, done that, read the book, and have the coffee cup! Try putting in and taking out contact lenses! Like Dana said, practice. It is amazing just how resourceful you can become. The things women go through just to look nice.

Rachel Morley
05-27-2007, 11:13 AM
All of the things you mention are so true :happy: I think keyboarding, and putting on jewelry are the most difficult ones for me.

Isn't it strange how traditionally feminine associated things are all about restrictions of some kind. Long nails, restrictive underwear, long tight skirts, high heels that make you take small steps etc etc. :thinking:

stefcd1
05-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Totally agree with everything said. Long nails are a tough act to get use to but oh the rewards! I absolutely love seeing my hand reach for the car radio knob with beautiful long nails with a nice color of nail polish. Also stuck one of my nails through my pantyhose onetime, ops!! But I would wear acrylic nails 24/7 if I could. It would only take a few days to get use to having such long beautiful nails. Oh, to be a girl all the time...... I can only wish.

Angie G
05-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Yes I have :hugs:
Angie

rachael j.
05-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I know exactly what you mean Glenda! I've had acrylic nails for over 2 years now and its amazing what you find difficult untill you get used to them. What is really sad is when they grow out and just before your appointment for a fill, you get one or two popping off. When they are long and grow out, leverage comes into play and off they pop. Try hooking up the back garter tab on a girdle with long nails. You're doing it one-handed and behind your back... lots of fun. I have contacts, but since I've started wearing acrylic nails full time I haven't had the nerve to try putting the in yet (or worse, taking them out!). I love my nails though!

kerrianna
05-27-2007, 12:41 PM
All of the things you mention are so true :happy: I think keyboarding, and putting on jewelry are the most difficult ones for me.

Isn't it strange how traditionally feminine associated things are all about restrictions of some kind. Long nails, restrictive underwear, long tight skirts, high heels that make you take small steps etc etc. :thinking:

Which is why many GFs (Genetic Female - doesn't sound right to call them Genetic Girls when we call ourselves Genetic Males. Either that or we call ourselves Genetic Boys) don't like to wear or have those 'feminine' things. IMHO it comes back to power.

Ooops, a mod taking a thread off topic - bad girl! :p

It took me awhile to get used to doing things with long nails, but I can type quite well (on the desktop keyboard I tend to use my finger pads with my hands held differently...on the laptop I just punch down with the ends.) My nails are my own, grown out. They're pretty long now, but I want them a bit longer.

Oddly enough I just had a dream this morning that a co-worker was chiding me on having long nails, saying "don't you know people will think you're transgendered?" :heehee:

Karren H
05-27-2007, 12:46 PM
I get dressed, makeup and everything first then apply my already painted stickon nails.... sooo much easier that way and for my hit and run crossdressing lifestyle it works well...

Love Karren

Glenda58
05-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Pop a nail while shopping and trying on some skirts and Capri's. After coming out of the fitting room I look at my hand and the nail was gone:( Trying to put on a new one now.

NatieBe
05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about. It does take awhile to get used to them. Mine aren't fake and are a bit long for guy mode, but I love them.

battybattybats
05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
For opening things like make up, nail polish etc I use the side of my fingers/fingertips. Clasps on necklaces annoy me with my nails at any length! I find if I do things slowly, evening fumbling, I feel more feminine and hold my hands and fingers in a way I find adorable.

Brianna Lovely
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Going to be dressing for 3 days in a roll. So got my nails done and had nail extensions put on. And they look great. But now I'm getting ready to go out I can't hook my bra the nail to long. Having problem opening makeup bottle can't get the eye shadow wand out and hold it mascara was ruff but finally got it done. Put a nail thought my pantyhose. Zipper on my skirt was harder to pull up. Couldn't get the backs on my earrings watch clash was harder to do.

The nails good great but next time I think I'll just get them a little short than this It's also harder to type.

Ok, so I'm laughing. What am I, looking in the mirror, or something? Giggle.

Yep........everything you said, is true. But it's the price you pay, for being a girl.
Let's see (where's my ruler?), mmm, ok, just measured my nails, and they're 5/8" or 1.6cm from the finger tip and they're my natural nails.

After having them this length, for about ten months, I've learned how to work around certain things.

Toyah
05-27-2007, 08:43 PM

Ahhh the joys of nails just wait till you have to undo a button to go to the loo:eek::heehee:

TxKimberly
05-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey - you wanted to be a woman - stop your sniveling!
sniff - sniff - wish I had long nails. . .

(just teasing Glenda!)

Kim

Jenna1561
05-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I agree with everyonr here - certain activities are much more difficult with long nails. Mine are only about 1/4 to 3/8 inch past my fingertips, but this is the point, for me at least, where tasks become difficult. Someone here gave me some advice a short while ago concerning jewelry clasps and nails - MAGNETIC CLASPS. I converted several necklaces and they are so much simpler and PLEASANT to wear.

But they are GREAT to look at. Love 'em long and polished!

Jenna

CherylKCCD
05-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Glenda- When my SO sees a nail that has popped off, she calls it "drag droppings". *Cute*
Cheryl

Kate Simmons
05-28-2007, 06:31 AM
You guys are all girly girls. I just let them grow then if they start getting in the way, I cut them. I don't use stick on nails either. Launched too many of those suckers in orbit already. Don't want to be accused of inadvertantly taking someone's eye out by assualt with a deadly weapon :heehee: They always grow back anyway and that is sort of fun for me.:happy:

Charleen
05-28-2007, 07:25 AM
My nails are longer then most I see. Dana's right, it takes practice! Using a knuckle to enter a PIN code when getting gas, a pen to use a calculator, the back key when I hit 2 keys when typing, but I wouldn't give them up for the world! I always wanted long nails and now I got 'em! Love 'em! Even with the adjustments that come with them.
Love and xxxx, Lily

CharleneCD
05-28-2007, 07:54 AM
How about putting in earings or picking up small items, particularly coins. Even with all the difficulties, I miss having them. I cant wait until I am in a position again where I can start going to the nail salon again.

Joyciecd
05-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I have never used stick on nails. I have my acrylic nails filled in @ 2 or 3 weeks. I keep the nails shaped round. I don't have any of the problems mentioned above.

Dixie
05-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Stickon nails are too small for me, haven't found the large ones people talk about yet.

Glenda58
05-28-2007, 09:16 PM
I was trying to grow my own but the last day at work I broke 3 of them and ground another down. And that's why I got the glue ons for my 3 days of dressing up. Tomorrow I will be taking them off so I can go to work.

JoAnnDallas
05-29-2007, 09:52 AM
I have had long acrylic nails for almost 2 years now. Once a month, I have them cut back to where they just extend past my fingure tips. I have found that when they are at their longest (about 1/2 inch past my fingures), that I do have trouble doing some things. Zipping up my dress/skirt, putting on a neckless, opening drawers, picking up a coins, and etc. Also found that I can use my Treso 680 PDA phone a little easier, since it has a touch screen. I can use the tips of my nails in leiu of the stick that comes with it. Also tapping the keys are easier using my nail tips instead of my fingure pads. The nice thing is no one seems to care that I have long nails, in fact I have gotten more compliments about my hands and nails than I ever did before I got acrylic nails.

Robin Leigh
05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
When you grow your own nails, it takes time. During this time, you get used to the length. With artificial nails, the change is sudden, so naturally it will feel more awkward. However, I will admit that it can be tricky to do certain tasks when my nails are longer than 5mm, even after years of practice.

I've had long nails for decades, and rarely get comments about them. And most of those were favourable comments from GGs. :happy:

Robin

Sally24
07-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Putting my contacts in should be classified as a hazardous occupation with long nails! I've done it just a few times. Mostly I grow my own nails a little long and shape them. I don't have to worry about them popping off and they aren't usually long enough to interfere with dexterity. But once in a while.....it is nice to have the real long nails!

vbcdgrl
07-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I used to put my nails on after doing all of the tasks you mention, but, lately, I've been able to do 'em with my nails on. I figure, if the GGs can do it, I can.

Vikki

Betty H
07-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Yes it is more difficult to do some things with longer nails; in fact your gestures like picking up small objects or a piece of paper etc... become quite feminine out of necessity.I have never had acrylics but always had previously used the Kiss EZ Step stick ons.Now I have grown my own having become tired of using the stick ons.My nails extend about 1/4 beyond my fingertips so far.while some things are more difficult I have to say that typing is actually much easier for me; much easier to hit the keys.

Jenna Lynne
07-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Isn't it strange how traditionally feminine associated things are all about restrictions of some kind. Long nails, restrictive underwear, long tight skirts, high heels that make you take small steps etc etc.
One theory about why this makes cultural/psychological sense is that it's a display of wealth. The idea is, you have servants to button your clothing and so forth -- and of course a palanquin with bearers to carry you from door to door, so that you never have to walk more than a few steps!

***Jenna***

Patty
07-17-2007, 09:11 PM
I got nails with gel last week-first time. I ended up trimming them so they are just past the finger end and rounded. Picking up small things-I am learning.

Phyliss
07-18-2007, 03:22 AM
I've always enjoyed having my fingernails a bit long. Well before I realized I was a CD, I'd keep them long, and only cut them back when they got to be a bit difficult to work with. During the past year, I've paid more attention to them and have noticed that they have some ridges on them ( due mostly to age, I think, never had that before), also I've been having a tough time with them breaking and splitting. About two months ago I finally made the commitment to having the acrylic nails put on.
My sister has said many times, "Long nails are nice, but completely useless" This from a gal who keeps hers at least 3/4 inch past her fingers, (go figure). Anyhow, I finally came to the point where I got tired of having them split and crack. Tried the various nail hardeners out there, with little or no success.
Since I've had my acrylics, not a single problem with the nails. Now, doing all those things I used to do with shorter and thinner nails has become a bit of an exercise in adapting. While they're not much longer than I used to have them at times I do find that they are quite a bit thicker due to the acrylic overlay material.
Still getting used to them, and having fun at it. Not a single comment from anybody about my nails.
One thing I did notice about them that I thought was a bit odd. Not having them painted any color but rather a clear gloss coat I notice that they look much different in natural sunlight than indoor lighting.

Sally24
07-18-2007, 04:56 AM
One thing I did notice about them that I thought was a bit odd. Not having them painted any color but rather a clear gloss coat I notice that they look much different in natural sunlight than indoor lighting.
According to our resident experts, gels look identical to nails and work great with a clear coat only. Acrylics need at least a coating of polish to appear natural in good lighting.

Phyliss
07-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Thank you Sally. That explains why it happens. Now to demonstrate my lack of knowlege on this subject, just what is the difference between acrylic and gel nails. Now that I have the acrylics, can I gel the gel nails?

Bonnie D
07-18-2007, 07:34 AM
I've grown my nails a few times in the last few months but I keep breaking one or two so then I cut them all and start again. Like Karren, I play hockey. I play once a week pretty much all year round. I've been having trouble tying my skate laces without breaking a nail and if I make it past that point then wearing hockey gloves and holding a stick can break a nail too. I have to be sure I always have a nail clipper in my pocket.

My SO hadn't noticed I had been growing them until last week when she asked me to hand her something then she asked me to show her my nails. She commented that I was being a bit obvious having nails looking so feminine and asked me to keep them shorter. I agreed to keep them a little longer than I usually have but not as long as I have been.

I did like the sound of my nails clicking on the keyboard as I typed. I work in an office and spend most of my time on a computer so the long nails was nice.

Bonnie

kassandra richard
07-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I play both guitar and piano, so long nails are a real handicap :) I've had glue-ons before and while I liked them, I would either over-glue them and the narrow size would hurt like hell, or I'd under-glue and pop them into orbit. So, it's short nails for me.

Kassandra

JoAnnDallas
07-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Phyliss.......that is the main reason I got acrylic nails. I also used to get ridges down the nails which would split and crack. They would then get caught in my hair when I washed my hair and I would end up peeling them back. Sometimes I would end up peeling into the wick, which not only would bleed, but would hurt.
I went with my older sister to her nail salon the day before my neices wedding back in 2005, since I was going to be in the wedding party. While there I asked the nail tech if anything could be done about my nail problem. My sister commented to her that I had always had a bad nail problem. Next thing I knew, I had 10 LONG nails. Looked kinda like talons at first. She then cut them back, applied the acrylic, shapped them and put clear polish on them. When she was finished, I was so amazed at how good they look. I have had acrylics ever sense and no longer have a nail problem.

Renee D
07-18-2007, 11:50 AM
hey to everyone, i haven't posted in awhile but just had to jump in when y'all are talking about my favorite subject....long nails! I know having long nails can be aggravating and can take some getting use to but.....omg I just love having my nails done and being able to look at them all day. I wear them 24/7 and would feel lost without them!!! I really love all the compliments i get.

Kelsy
07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I love my natural nails! I think the worst thing is when you break one:eek:

Jennifer:happy:

Chiana
07-19-2007, 12:12 AM
I used to be a chronic nail biter. I would nibble on my nails until my finger tips were bleeding. But a while back I had a secretarial type of job and I found that when my nails weren't being exposed to various hazards where they would be chipped or damaged, it was pretty easy to quit my life-long bad habit of nail biting. It was the snags that drew my nail biting attention. As a result, my nails started to get longer which seemed pretty cool to me. But then they got to be so long, it really became a pain to do a lot of common chores and trying to put in and remove contacts lenses was at the top of the list. Typing was no issue for me but it did require a change in style. Entering PIN numbers was not an issue either. Zippers were OK unless I was trying to do a zipper that was too tight to zip comfortably. I learned how to do buttons. But, after a while, I found I was constantly fileing my nails to the level where I could still do my contacts without problems. That was the final limiting factor. I loved the look. It was adicting. So feminine and graceful looking to me. It just made my hands look so much better.