PDA

View Full Version : My Heroes Wore Nylons

Lovely Rita
05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Dear Friends,

I wanted to write this thread in order to share my amazing experience and how it is enhanced by the way things are going for me today. When cross dressing became part of my life, at a very early age. I did not understand it. It was daunting and even scary at times.
When I was around 7 or 8 years of age I thought I was the only one in the world. This was unsettling to say the least. With time I grew older and encountered other braver souls standing up for the cause all alone.

They were jeered and made fun of. They were the pariah of my society. They were deemed sick and evil in the opinions of most. With all of that they stood up for them selves. They were a spectacle at times but Revolutionaries often are. As a child I remember seeing cross dressers on the street with exaggerated walks. Their makeup was almost clownish. Their dresses were not even their size but they wore them like flags for their personal cause.. They were being who they were, even if the dresses were too tight and the skirts a tad too short. They did not have the opportunities afforded to us today. They had to amass their collection of clothing how ever they could. Mail order items were a joke. Sizes were not even available the way they are today. Specialty shops were not as abundant. On-line shopping was not even a thought back then.

They were the key to advancing the Revolution we now enjoy. They did it when it was much scarier and much more dangerous. They stood alone because no one understood them or wanted to be near them. Many times they lost everything because they wanted to live as the people they were. Many still experience that today, but I believe not as much because of those that went before.

Today, my dream has come true in a large part because of how they held their ground in the face of adversity.

Anyone who know me, knows that I love to grow in my appreciation of the those things I love. Which also enables me to enhance my experience and not take any of it for granted..

My Heroes Wore Nylons:thumbsup::love:

MJ
05-29-2007, 05:52 PM
my hero was Barry Kenneth cossey now Caroline cossey born in Brooke Norfolk she was a super model Tula was a playboy model and a bond girl when she was outed by the press in england .. i could not believe ... there is some else just like me omg that was it .... if she could to it so can I
the rest is history in the making

Dixie
05-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I remember Tula! My wife and I thought that she was the coolest ever(still do), for being who she was and not running from it when outed!

MJ
05-29-2007, 07:27 PM
hi Dixie
she is amazing i got her book "Tula i am a woman" and then i knew i felt the same way .. and 20 years of denial until i accept who i am .. funny thing is now i wish i did this sooner.....

Dixie
05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi MJ
I used to have her playboy issue, but it has been misplaced or lost in one of our many moves.

kerrianna
05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I wish I had noticed my heroes (heroines) when I was younger. I wish I had been braver. But it was all I could do to survive at the time.

You girls are my heroines now. And for that, I am forever grateful. :hugs::love:

sterling12
05-29-2007, 08:56 PM
I remember those days much too well. Much like yourself, as a kid I thought I was all alone. Then as a teenager I discovered "The Dirty Bookstore," tucked away in some bad part of town. (I bet a lot of us can remember the smirks and the blackheads on the face of the guy who took your money for one of "those magazines.") Finally, I actually realized that there were others out there. Apparently, they all lived in New York City and spent all their time posing in evening dresses and lingerie, in strange looking apartments....but they were out there!

Until we got The Internet, I still had no idea that I was a part of a continuum. Now I can see actual photo's of gurl's just like us from just about as far back as The Camera exists. If I looked a little more, could probably find Renaissance paintings too, maybe even cave drawings!

I have often thought about how difficult it must have been for our Senior Sisters. Comparatively, we have it easy today. Almost impossible to get arrested just for being dressed, darn near impossible for your ex to use "perversion" and the subsequent outing, as grounds for a divorce.

I'm with you Rita, we need to honor and learn more about the Gal's who have preceded us. They had real chutzpah!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Joy Carter
05-29-2007, 09:18 PM
At the age of five I saw her on the black and white TV. I was totally mesmerized by her voice and looks. She was my idol and role model (in my head) all my life. I have some of her recordings and when I play them. I hang on every note she sang. She was described in the press as having a "Tom Boy" appearance. It just be me. I think she was one of the most beautiful women from the nineteen fifties. I recall cursing that she was eighteen years my Senior. Yes I was that infatuated with her.

Kate Simmons
05-29-2007, 09:25 PM
People who are individuals are often scoffed at, leered at, looked down upon because they march to the beat of their own drum, no matter what is is.They do not follow the "crowd" which for most is safer to do and doesn't require any thought. Most people are afraid to think for themselves and listen to "experts" or others for advice and how to live their lives. When people challenge the established "system", they are considered a threat or someone to be feared when in reality they are just trying to be themselves and be honest about it which most aren't.
I'm no stranger to this kind of reaction. I've always challenged and "bucked" the system and despite warnings of gloom and doom from others supposedly concerned about my "welfare", I'm still here while some of them are not. I never say "I told you so", however, I figure the lesson is evident.Despite all kinds of "flavors of the month" fads and technology, my core instincts and core individuality remains and I know I can always count on that even if everything else fails. It's nice to know there are some people left who are not ashamed to be themselves, no matter what.:happy:

Jocelyn Quivers
05-30-2007, 07:32 AM
When I was a kid I also thought I was the only one in the world that actually did this and I thought something was wrong with me. I remember growing up with plenty of shame about this right up until about 6-7 years ago. I remember in particular a documentary I saw on HBO about crossdressers. I can't remember the name of it but.

It actually explained a lot and showed the lives of various cross dressers, up until this documentary all I remember seeing about cross dressing was in movies such as dressed to kill, and god awful episodes of Jerry Springer which did not do much for my self esteem and did a lot to help with my denial. Even though I was not exposed to or remember any of the early pioneers with cross dressing. I still am grateful for them. Jocelyn

Robin Leigh
05-30-2007, 07:43 AM
I think this is a great topic for Christine Jorgensen's birthday. (And my 1000th post :)). http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59106
I saw the movie about her when I was quite young, and it had a big impact on me.

Les Feinberg's book Transgender Warriors (http://www.transgenderwarrior.org/) discusses many great TG people from the past, and is essential reading for all under the TG umbrella, IMHO.

:hugs:

Robin

Angie G
05-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Nice thread rita thinking my heroe was alway my dad who dressed but I know but he dd not know I new :hugs:
Angie

Bonnie D
05-30-2007, 08:44 AM
One of my big heroes was Jim Bailey. He was, and still is, classifed as a female impersonator. To me he brought crossdressing to the public attention in a positive manner. I was always fascinated by anyone who crossdressed no matter what they were called, drag queen, transvestite, female impersonator and I especially admired those who transitioned such as Christine.

Bonnie

Lovely Rita
05-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow Angie
That is an amazing story about your Dad. Would love it if you could find the time to elaborate some time.
So your heroe also wore Nylons.

Yvette2000
05-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Dear Friends,

I wanted to write this thread in order to share my amazing experience and how it is enhanced by the way things are going for me today. When cross dressing became part of my life, at a very early age. I did not understand it. It was daunting and even scary at times.
When I was around 7 or 8 years of age I thought I was the only one in the world. This was unsettling to say the least. With time I grew older and encountered other braver souls standing up for the cause all alone.

They were jeered and made fun of. They were the pariah of my society. They were deemed sick and evil in the opinions of most. With all of that they stood up for them selves. They were a spectacle at times but Revolutionaries often are. As a child I remember seeing cross dressers on the street with exaggerated walks. Their makeup was almost clownish. Their dresses were not even their size but they were them like flags for their personal cause.. They were being who they were even if the dresses were too tight and the skirts a tad too short. They did not have the opportunities afforded to us today. They had to amass their collection of clothing how ever they could. Mail order items were a joke. Sizes were not even available the way they are today. Specialty shops were not as abundant. On-line shopping was not even a thought back then.

They were the key to advancing the Revolution we now enjoy. They did it when it was much scarier and much more dangerous. They stood alone because no one understood them or wanted to be near them. Many times they lost everything because they wanted to live as the people they were. Many still experience that today, but I believe not as much because of those that went before.

Today, my dream has come true in a large part because of how they held their ground in the face of adversity.

Anyone who know me, knows that I love to grow in my appreciation of the those things I love. Which also enables me to enhance my experience and not take any of it for granted..

My Heroes Wore Nylons:thumbsup::love:

Lovely Rita, most people who call themselves lovely aren't. You are though. It's people like you who have made me accepting my need to mingle with the parts of me that I now call Heaven. Thanks a great deal for that my friend. Your heroes wore nylons. Mine may have worn boxing gloves, armour or a good sense of humour. Now they're a mix of Robert de Niro and Teresa Orlowski. Thanks again Rita. You truly ARE lovely.

Yours Yvette

Yvette2000
05-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Rita. Thanks again and good night.

Lovely Rita
06-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Lovely Rita, most people who call themselves lovely aren't. You are though. It's people like you who have made me accepting my need to mingle with the parts of me that I now call Heaven. Thanks a great deal for that my friend. Your heroes wore nylons. Mine may have worn boxing gloves, armour or a good sense of humour. Now they're a mix of Robert de Niro and Teresa Orlowski. Thanks again Rita. You truly ARE lovely.

Yours Yvette

Yvette, I love your name. I am thrilled to know that something I have shared may have helped you even in the smallest way. Hearing back from you is what really makes my day. Nothing better than your kind and loving feedback.
I really wish the best for you. I also have some male heroes like Martin Luther King and others too.

Yvette2000
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I send you a big bunch of hugs. All the best to you.

Yours Yvette

Lovely Rita
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I send you a big bunch of hugs. All the best to you.

Yours Yvette

Hugs right back to you my swedish girlfriend:love:

By the way I love your hosiery on your avatar. Love the design with the black poka dots. very pretty