PDA

View Full Version : Cross Dressing Charity?

battybattybats
05-30-2007, 06:53 PM
I wonder, could/should we create a charity to support advocacy, help with legal struggles, political lobbying, public education, counselling etc?

Of course it wouldn't be easy fundraising wih so many of us in the closet but perhaps an online store could be set up to raise funds or CD-friendly/specific online stores could be convinced to sell something to raise funds?

wtb Jessica
05-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I think it would be nice for some because i know theier are some that could use the help and can't afford it.

Billie Jean
06-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Bikers made a better name for themselves when the started supporting different charities. Billie Jean

Caroline
06-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I wonder, could/should we create a charity to support advocacy, help with legal struggles, political lobbying, public education, counselling etc?

Of course it wouldn't be easy fundraising wih so many of us in the closet but perhaps an online store could be set up to raise funds or CD-friendly/specific online stores could be convinced to sell something to raise funds?

There already is such a charity in the UK. It is called The Beaumont Trust and its web page can be found here (http://www.beaumont-trust.org.uk/).

One of the problems that you have, is that the members of this forum come from all over the world, though it would seem that the USA predominates. So, where do you envisage such a charity being situate? In the USA? In which case, why would legislators/politicos in other countries pay any attention to it - and why would people in other countries support it with contributions?

In conclusion, I think if you want to set up a charity, you have to do so on a per country basis, and not try for some pan-world organisation.

brenya
06-02-2007, 02:10 PM
that would be nice, but it sounds, difficult, let's go shopping instead, lol J/K it's a fine idea

marie354
06-02-2007, 04:37 PM
It's a really nice idea, but myself, I'm too old to take on any responsibilities like that. And too poor to donate.
:hugs:

Fab Karen
06-02-2007, 06:26 PM
At least in the U.S. such advocacy is done by transgender organizations.

Sharon
06-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Such an organization already exists, as do others, and they could sure use all the support they can get:

http://www.nctequality.org/

Sarah V
06-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Here is another one in the U.S. that I have come across in Ladylike Magazine called the Transgender Fund.

Here is their website: http://www.tgfund.org/

I know nothing about the organization other than they have been around for a good 5-6 years now I believe and I also believe that they represent all aspects across the transgender spectrum. Their stated mission has been to most of the things you suggested, BBB. Will say it again becaue it is worth it.....any of the legit transgender organizations can use all the help they can get.

Lisa Baby
06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
As is said above. There are many legal Transgender organizations accross the USA. Many Colleges have groups that support the transgender comunity.

There are other ways than money that can support these groups. If you have a few hours free on an odd day or two you might go to one of these places and simply answer telephone calls or stuff envelopes.

You might try and contact a nearby group and ask to be put on thier mailing list so that you might attend any events that fall on a day off from your other comitments.

You might be able to connect with a group by asking any Gay or Lesbien people you know of. They do not have to be a personnal friend to be able to point you in the right direction.

Lisa Baby
Look around. You may be suprised at what you find.