PDA

View Full Version : out to an old friend

sandra-leigh
05-31-2007, 12:32 AM
A female friend (and ex co-worker) I've known for about 17 years was in town for a conference and suggested we meet; I immediately agreed as I rarely get to see her. The last time I saw her was before I started dressing. I could have just gone in drab and said nothing, or gone in drab and brought my dressing up in conversation, but what I did is show up at the restaurant in a green/gold blouse, D-cup forms (modest under the top, not large), long jean skirt, and wearing lipstick; with my natural hair (no wig). Presenting, in other words, as someone of intermediate gender, not as a female.

As soon as she saw me, she congradulated me on my "transformation". I indicated that it wasn't full time, just sometimes; she suggested "special occasions", and when I agreed, she said she felt honoured.

We didn't talk about the dressing at all until after dinner, after leaving the restaurant, and didn't really say a whole lot about it then. The topic was by no means ignored; we just had a lot of other things to talk about, and my dressing was accepted as completely natural. She did mention that she liked my new appearance. And she mentioned that one of the students in her department is going through transition, and she said she thought that student was "very brave".

When choosing to go dressed, I didn't worry at all that my friend would not accept my dressing; I just worried that showing up in a skirt might be too sudden of an introduction (since we haven't seen each other for 3+ years), and that the topic might end up monopolizing the discussion. But it worked out very well in practice.

The restaurant we went to is perhaps a dozen tables, better than average but not "high end". I've been in several times before (usually with my wife) -- often enough to be recognized by sight but not often enough to "know the staff". Anyhow, the staff treated me just fine, as if a male customer in a skirt is a well-established occurance. The other customers didn't pay any attention to me that I noticed, not even when I walked through the room in my blouse and skirt to put my coat on the hanger; I know some of them -saw-, but no heads tracked my motion; I wasn't "news".

But somehow, I still feel I made the right decision not to go in a dress -- not for the introduction. Next time, maybe.

trannie T
05-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Wow! You rock, girl! Glad you had a good time.

O2B Barbara
05-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Sounds like a true friend. Took a lot of courage, way to go.

Angie G
05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Thats great Tass sounds like you have a good friend there :hugs:
Angie

Holly
05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Tess, that's great. I'm glad it worked out for you and your friend.

Dixie
05-31-2007, 09:17 PM
COOL!!:drink:

Billijo49504
05-31-2007, 10:05 PM
WOW!!! I'm glad that things went well. And I'm glad your friend was accemmpting of you. Good luck...BJ

Seville
05-31-2007, 10:14 PM
How I wish I could do that!

You have a good friend.:happy:

sandra-leigh
05-31-2007, 11:59 PM
One of the things my friend said just after we'd made our hellos and she had welcomed my "transformation", was, "You didn't tell me." But it wasn't an accusative and it wasn't a "Oh God, I would have avoided meeting you if I'd known you were that way!" -- it was more like, "This is an important change in your life; you could have kept me more up-to-date :)" You know, like "You met someone, and you didn't tell me??"

With regards to knowing that she'd be cool with my dressing: my friend was openly lesbian, at a time when that still wasn't common, and we've talked about our respective relatationships. She's with a guy these days, but a little conflicted about that. She is, in other words, someone who has dealt first hand with issues of gender and sexuality and social (dis-)approval, so I knew she would be sympathetic to those who are trying to find their own personal gender path.

Every once in a while you find a friend that you just don't need any pretending with, that you don't need feel a need to hide anything from. Not necessarily that you'd tell "everything" to, because they aren't interested in "everything" -- but someone who would listen to any topic you thought was interestng enough / important enough to raise. And then when the time comes, telling that friend becomes almost trivial.