PDA

View Full Version : Yet another step

Phyliss
05-31-2007, 03:52 AM
This past Tuesday (May 29) I found myself taking one more baby step on my journey.
Last Spring and most of the summer I'd been able to grow my finger nails kinda long and keep them rather good looking with a coat of clear gloss polish. For some strange reason, possibly diet, or whatever, they started to break and chip quite easily. Really frustrating when trying to have something nice and it keeps breaking. I tried the nail glue stuff and while it sorta worked for a time, as the nail would grow the breaking continued. Now, I should mention also that on my left hand "ring" finger and my index finger of the same hand is where most of the problems were happening. Being "right handed" it wasn't because of overuse.
I finally got to the point of getting tired of having to almost constantly file and buff the ends to keep them from snagging on my clothes. (I hate "runs" in stockings due to broken or sharp nails). Well, for the past two months I've been thinking about the idea of getting some acrylic overlays done to my fingers. Not necessarily the 3" long bright red talons I'd like to have ( :heehee: ) but something that would look good, yet be somewhat practical for everyday usage.
Having a bit of time on Tuesday I figured that if I spent too much time thinking about it I'd never do it, so I headed over to a local salon that does this. (The usual place I go to get my pedicures doesn't do acrylic, not sure why). Anyhow, I pulled up in front and walked in, (I should mention here that I've never been in this place before) the young lady behind the desk asked if she could help me. No mumbling or excuses but with determination I proceeded to explain my problem of constant chipping and breaking, plus pointed out on the two "offending" fingers the striation (sp) that I had which causes most of the breaking and splitting. I asked if she could do an overlay one them to restrict the problem, knowing that because the main problem wouldn't actually "go away", it's in the root of the nail and something I have to live with.
She looked at my nails and referred me to the owner of the shop, who looked and suggested that it might be a good idea to try that, and asked if I wanted all 10 fingers "done" to make them match. I agreed that would be a nice thing to do.
"OK, just have a seat and she'll be right with you as soon as she finishes with her present customer."
Sat me down at the work table next to the customer, (a middle aged lady who was getting a beautiful set of colored overlays done with a nice floral design)
Soon enough the nail tech was finished with her and started on me. Now, I don't know if I was the first guy she'd ever done or this is rather normal for her, but she had ZERO problem with my wanting this done. As far as she was concerned it was just another job and just 10 more fingers to do. Three of the nails had chipped so badly over the last four weeks they had been clipped down to nothing, and she commented that she'd have to put a tip on them to have a base to work with. I told her to go ahead and do whatever she had to do to have a nice finished job. So she applied some really long tips that she said she would clip to proper length when the glue dried. I kinda wished I could have kept them THAT long. (totally impractical but I liked the look)During the time she was working on my fingers, I sorta struck up a conversation with the other customer who was keeping her fingers under the dryer to set the polish. The lady was quite pleasant and we had a nice chat about weather, nails and simple things.
Ended up having a clear gloss coat put on my nails. I was rather surprised at the result. For some reason, I was thinking that they might be a bit too obvious, but after she was done, they looked quiet "normal" perhaps a slight bit long for a guy but not so long that they draw attention.
So, what's the point to all this?
For those who are thinking about getting their nails "done" ........just do it! you won't be sorry.
For $27 it wasn't a bad price I think, of course I'll now have to go back every three weeks to get a "fill in" but, if I want something NICE then I should be willing to do the needed work to have it.
The only thing I noticed about them is that in full sunlight they have a very light "blue" tint to them, but I guess that's because of the acrylic chemical reflection in sunlight. Nothing I can't live with. Regular room light and they're just fine for color. Maybe a bit smoother then they have been and just a slight bit more shiney but that's the least of my worries.

Josephine 1941
05-31-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi Phylis, I have been taking fish oil with Omaga 3 for my health. I have found that my nail grow fast an strong. I don't know if anyone else has had this expriance but for me it is working. I also hunt an fish an do a lot of work with my hands, get a lot of compluments on my nails.

Josephine

wtb Jessica
05-31-2007, 06:05 AM
Their is a product you can take for that it really works it is called femz you can get it at http://www.tgmax.com/ i would recomend it.

O2B Barbara
05-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Sounds like a fun thing to do. I will have to mention this to the wife and this can be something we could do together. I notice my nails are not as strong nor grow as fast if I don't take my vitamins regularly as well as drink a fair amount of water. Things we should do anyway.

Enjoy the nails!

Charleen
05-31-2007, 06:26 AM
Good for you dear! I used to have a bad problem with my nails, but when I switched to Sally Hanson products, I haven't had a problem.

JoAnnDallas
05-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Congrads on your nails. I have always had bad nails too. I think it is genertic because my mother always had bad nails too. Anyway, mine would get these ridges that ran down the nail and would split down the ridge. I would catch strands of hair in them and then one side would peel off and I would have to peel the other side off. Sometimes when they would peel, they would peel down into the quick and the fingure would bleed. That lead to a little pain. So one day I was with my sister at her nail salon and talking to her nail tech about my problem. Next thing I knew I'm sitting there with ten long nails that she had glued on. My hands looked like a talons on a hawk. LOL. she cut them back, added the acrylic overlay and that was almost two years ago. I go every two weeks for a fill and once a month for a pedicure/toe polish/manicure/fill/eyebrow wax session. I asked my nail tech once about men getting nails like mine and she said a lot of men get them. She also told me that they have at least 2-3 men a week come in for the full works like I get once a month. I get mine cut back once a month. By the time they are ready to be cut back, they are around 1/2" longer than my fingures. When cut back they are just a little past my fingures. I always get clear polish on them. Been thinking of asking my nail tech, if there is a shade of Pink that I could wear but would not be noticeable. BTW, I always get a shade of RED on my toes. I have never had any negitive comments about my toes. In fact I usually get comments on how well they look. I even got a comment from a young GG (about 8-9 years old) that her grandfather had almost the same shade of RED on his toes. I always talk with the other customers and had some really great conversations about the nail salon, how good the techs are, and even what shade of polish goes good with what occasions.

sandra-leigh
05-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Been thinking of asking my nail tech, if there is a shade of Pink that I could wear but would not be noticeable.

OPI "Cotton Candy". It's a matte finish. A single thin layer of it (applied flat) is not even as reflective as "clear coat". If you can manage to put on two coats flat, even that is pretty much invisible unless you know what you are looking for. Last night I had to put on four thin coats for it to start to be visible. Or one thicker sloppy coat. But like all nail polishes that aren't "fast dry", trying to put on four coats in a hurry doesn't work very well -- as soon as you finish applying the polish, you will discover that you need to get something out of your pockets or reach for your makeup in your makeup bag or the like, and there goes the finish on the nails, all scraped up from being touched while it was still wet...

Jenna1561
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Congratulations Phyliss. I know you'll love them. I did the same thing last year, except I went with gel overlays. The nail tech also used extensions to give them some length before she started. I now get fills every 2-3 weeks depending on my work schedule. I usually keep them at about 1/4" -3/8", any longer for me and routine tasks become very troublesome. I know I'd adapt to longer, but 3/8" really look great to me.

My nails are now stronger AND BEAUTIFUL. I usually wear clear at work, but I'm going to buy a bottle of OPI's "Cotton Candy" as Tess-Leigh suggests and give it a try - thanks Tess.

Enjoy your nails - they really make a difference in our looks and our attitudes.

Jenna

Phyliss
05-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Thank you for the comments.

Joesphine, I know I should be taking some sort of "supplement" not only for my nails but for general health, I was last year, but kinda got out of the habit, mostly because I'm not a "pill type of person"
Jessica and Barbara thnak you for the information.
Lilygirl I've used the Sally Hansen "Hard As Nails" for quite awhile but even though it works ok for me it just doesn't seem to be "good enough" anymore.
JoAnn, you've got the same problem I have. Splitting down the center and along the sides. Absolutely hate snagging my night gown on the split or broken ends.
tess-leigh, I can so well indentify with having to reach into your pocket or purse with "wet" nails. I've ruined, more than once a nice job I had going.
Jenna, had to make a kinda long trip today in my truck, almost had a "problem" a time or two while driving, kept staring at my nails. Yep, I do like the looks.

CharleneCD
05-31-2007, 05:23 PM
I know exactly how you feel Phyliss, but my nails dont split, I lose jagged chunks. I wish I could get acrylics again, but they are not allowed where I work. Hopefully if things work out with the plans my wife and I have we will both be able to start getting our nails done again. Having nice painted nails gives me more of a fem feeling than just about anything else.

Holly
05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Congratulations, Phyliss. In no time you will be into a nice routine every 2-3 getting your nails filled and making some very nice friends at the salon.

Andi
05-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Charlene, why would your work place prohibit acrylic nails???

AllieSF
06-01-2007, 01:04 AM
I have a similar, though less of a, problem as you do. My index finger nail splits and snags on everything, especially when I put my hand in my pocket. So about a month ago I was driving past a local nail shop and just pulled over and went in and explained my problem to the lady in charge. She recommended a wrap for the troublesome nail and a 2 step application process for the rest to fill in the ridges and strengthen them. So, I had my first ever manicure and the nail wrap (like fiberglassing one nail with the fiberglass overlay, the resin and activator). I apply the 1st step filler once a week and then every other day apply the 2nd step clear coating. What a pain to apply nail polish with your left hand (for right handers that is)! So now I get to go back every 2-3 weeks for her to remove the wrap and put a new one on and get another manicure for $15. My split nail is actually growing and looking good, plus my other nails are much stronger, and it is so much fun to have someone pamper me!

Dixie
06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
I would love to go to a salon, but it is not in the cards right now.:drink:

sandra-leigh
06-02-2007, 09:46 PM
OPI "Cotton Candy". It's a matte finish.

Clarification: the full shade name is "Coney Is. Cotton Candy".

marie354
06-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Since I've been keeping my nails filed and shaped nicely, I've had the same problems with chipping and breakage. I've cut them off twice to even them up so they would grow to the same length, but as soon as the get a bit longer than my fingers, I start to have problems with them.

So... Maybe I will try a manicure. I'm sure that will work. Adding a layer of plastic to make them thicker seems a logical way to strengthen them.

Thanks for the tip.
:hugs:

Phyliss
06-03-2007, 06:54 AM
It hasn't been quite a full week yet, BUT,....I am so in love with the look of my fingers.
Friday morning I reached for the door handle on my car the wrong way (old guy habits die hard) and broke the tip off the left hand index finger. Felt bad most of the day until I could get back to the salon and get it "fixed". Zero problem with that part. Walked in and showed the young lady my problem. She said to sit down and she's be with me in a minute.
Roughed up the nail with her electric file and reapplied a fresh coat. Her only comment was to enquire if I liked my fingers. to which I replied that I loved them. 10 min later, had on a new coat with a clear polish and was on my way. Cost to repair? $0.00, you can be very sure, I know I'll be back in 3 or 4 weeks for a "fill in".
Saturday I had to help my Son-in-Law, clear out some tree branches, so here I am up in a tree, with my chain saw running and wacking away at the limbs and NOT worrying about my nails, a good feeling. (YES I was wearing proper safety gear, eye protection, ear protection, gloves, leg covering, ect) and BTW, NO I wasn't wearing my mini skirt, not easy to climb a tree and be modest at the same time. :heehee:
The point is that I can do things that normally would "SHATTER" a finger nail without worry. As long as I am somewhat careful and not try to open car doors in the wrong fashion.