PDA

View Full Version : T* conventions: Why $o expen$ive?

LaSirenaBella
05-31-2007, 06:53 AM
Can someone tell me why the vast majority of CD/TG-related conventions cost so d--n much? It seems that the costs are so prohibitive, that I feel it'll be quite a while before I can attend a SCC or a Be-All, etc.

Sirena

Karren H
05-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Try going to a Coal Convemtion or a Mining Convention!!! Doesn't matter what the subject mater.... Conventions cost a bunch of $$$$$.... Luckily I can put them on my expense account... hehe Just need to coordinate a work related convention and a TG convention that's all...

Karren

LaSirenaBella
05-31-2007, 07:03 AM
They just seem so expensive, relative to science-fiction cons.

Karren H
05-31-2007, 07:47 AM
They just seem so expensive, relative to science-fiction cons.

I just paid $200 to listen to 3.5 hours worth of technical papers.... Need the profession development hours to maintain my PE... And that doesn't include transportation, room and board...

But on the positive side I'm meeting a CD friend for lunch after the convention!! :)

Karren

Kristen Marie
05-31-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm heading to Las Vegas for a 2 1/2 day convention at a conference fee of $1,200, exclusive of hotel, meals and travel. Our TG conferences are a relative bargain.

marie354
05-31-2007, 08:33 AM
They are expensive because they are a specialized affair.
As I used to say about the amusement business.... You gotta pay to play.
:hugs:

TGKrissyCD
05-31-2007, 08:34 AM
To accomadate the estimated turn out most conferences and conventions have to be held in one of the more expensive hotels. I just registered for a conference in San Antonio, Texas and my daily expenses are $250, if I don't eat, take side trips, are hit the bar too often. The "Room tax, make that the tourist tax, is 16,75%. Looking for CD contacts to take my mind off how much this is costing me.

JoAnnDallas
05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Most of the CD conventions include things like 3 meals a day, transportation to/from the airport, room, and hotel services. When I went to HEF2006, I only went for the Saturday. I did not stay at the hotel because I only lived three miles away. The Saturday only fee was $125. If I had signed up for the whole four days, it would have been almost $400. Then too most Hotels will charge a min fee for a large event like HEF. Thus the cost to each CD is to cover this min cost plus. I have been to Sci-Fi cons and my outlay was a lot less. Then too many of these are put on by large convention compaines. They get their money not from the fans but from the venders. Samething for convetions like HamCom or the Dayton Hamfest. They also do not supply meals, transportation, or housing.

Andrea Nicole
05-31-2007, 09:39 AM
They are NOT that expensive at all. In fact, for the time, meals, speakers, and facilities rental,...quite inexpensive.

ShannonDragon
05-31-2007, 03:02 PM
There are at least 6 of us from IXE planning for Southern Comfort. The convention is $250 with many dinners and lunches included. We will drive out and share the cost of gas and room in groups bringing that cost down.

This will be my 2nd SCC and and 7th overall convention (IFGE and Be-Alls in Chicago, Nashville, Philly, Cincy and Louisville).

:tongueout

KimberlyS
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Sirena, like others have said this is majorly cheap as far as conferences go. The cheapest conference I have ever attended was $500 and that was just the conference registration for 1 day and 1 meal.

My guess your science-fiction cons have a higher attendance with more venders and advertising dollars coming in to pay the conference expenses. Those free tee shirts are not free, some one had to pay for them and it was most likely the company or companies who have their logo's on the shirts or on some other freebie you have gotten. And booth fees at some conferences are unbelievably high.

Now if everyone that goes to a TG conference would spend $5 to $100 dollars plus at each vendor we can have no conference fees. But I know at some of the smaller TG conferences and events it is even hard to get vendors because it often is not worth it for them to show up.

cindybarnes
05-31-2007, 03:56 PM
When I go to SCC I may or may not stay at the hotel since I live nearby.For me I just hang out around the lobby or bar chatting with friends(see Di's theme pic thread ) :) I know there is a lot to learn from many of the actual confrences but they do cost a little bit.
Its kinda hard to put a price on being able to see old friends , make new ones and just be around a crowd of hundreds of TG/CD folks like us.
The hotel for SCC does or did offer a discount for SCC guests but the parking was pretty high. Oh well, like I said some things are just worth it.

Cindy

Phoebe Reece
05-31-2007, 05:25 PM
I just wanted to add a little to what Cindy said. The new location for SCC in 2007 is the Crowne Plaza Ravinia. The parking there is free. The organizers of SCC offer a "Scholorship" program of providing assistance for those that are otherwise financially unable to attend. More details are available at: http://www.sccatl.org/

joann07
06-01-2007, 11:04 AM
I just registered for the SCC in Atlanta.
I know its going to cost me some $$$, but I've never been to one so this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet and make new friends.
I'm fortunate that I'm only one U.S. state away so I'm road tripping it up there.
I'm looking forward to this and I hope I can meet many of you there.

kristine239
06-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I am going to add to some of the above, and I am going to do it from a conference organizers viewpoint as I am the meeting planner for the annual IFGE conference and the Lake Erie Gala, plus I know all of the conference chairs for all of the event in the US. We all gather twice a year at SCC and IFGE.

So far as registration costs go, they are not that expensive. For the ones I run (very similiar to the others) there are at least 5 meals included in the cost, plus entertainment, even AV rental costs and then add all of the other expenses like printing, mailing etc, and most of us cover our expenses and no one that I know of makes any money here. They are mostly run by volunteers.

Hotels control the sleeping room costs and it depends on location and time of year. We have been looking to do a conference in either New Orleans or DC, but from Feb to Mar, hotel qoutes are coming in from $129 to $200 per night. (I would never book a hotel for this community over $129). We have a great deal going for IFGE in Tucson next year at $86 per night, IFGE in Philadelphia for 2009 at $109, and in Erie PA this year for $78 per night, but when you try to move in to a downtown hotel, then that's another story.

Bottom line here is that of the 8 major CD/TG conferences in the US, all run by volunteers, you are getting a great value for your money. Look at it from the other perspective, where else can you find 75 to 700 other CD's with the same interests and concerns as you, all of the education and support and more for the amount of money you pay?

Hope to see everyone at SCc in September.

Love Kristine www.transeventsusa.org

Melanie R
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
After involvement in planning 8 prior TG conferences, I know that most of the TG conventions/conferences are a real bargain. My wife and I have also planned to date 31 TG cruises with lengths of 4-15 days. Our upcoming cruise in October costs for an inside cabin $730 for 8 nights including all taxes, tips, meals and entertainment - an average cost of $91 per day. Most TG conferences will average over $200 per day including hotel, registration, meals and tips. Many on our October 22 cruise will also be at SCC and Fantasia Fair.