PDA

View Full Version : YET ANOTHER shopping story

Phyliss
06-03-2007, 03:46 PM
"....and remember all things are returnable within 10 days if the store tag is still on it, even the sale items"
I was in the Mall of New Hampshire in Manchester at the Cache store. (I'd noted this place earlier in the month when I was there with my wife for another reason. Like the "Siren Song" of mythology it kept calling to me to return and shop.

I'd been doing the normal "poking about" thing in the store and of course had been approached by the S.A. who asked if she could help me. Politely saying, "No" and that if I saw something that "jumped out at me, saying, take me home," I'd be sure to ask for her assistance. Well, I noted this cute black skirt, with a nice ribbon style belt and though that maybe it might "work" just had to find a blouse or some sort of top to go with it. Saw a nice pink "sweater" with long sleeves. not really a heavy material but quite light weight in fact. The nice part, it was on the clearance rack for $10 marked down from $89. Couldn't resist that sort of bargin.
By this time the S.A. had returned to me and noted that I had a few items in my hands. That was when she mentioned to me about the store "return policy" I smiled at her and said, "Well with the cost of gas today and to not have to bother making a return trip, there's only one way to find out if these things fit. Which way to the dressing room?"
Her answer was, "Good thinking" as she headed to the register to get "the key" ( Must be a new girl, because I noted that she sorta quickly said something to the other lady behind the counter, probably the Mgr. who shook her head in a positive manner. Bingo, I'm in, I thought) Followed her to the dressing room and walked in like I knew what I was doing.
Long story made short, I ended up buying the skirt but not that top (it just didn't fit right, the neck line was just to wide for my taste) However, she did find a nice black top with a built in beige cami that fit just fine.

Went home with my new found treasures. It turned out that the very next day I was in another town in N.H. ,Salem to be exact. The Mall at Rockingham park is there, and of course you just KNOW they also have a Cache store, so,....

Before I went into there I had walked around the place to check out some of the other stores. Found a little place that sold inexpensive earrings, bracelets and necklaces. Costume jewerly mostly but good enough for what I need. Been wanting some new "clip ons" so I figured here was as good an opportuntiy as any to look. Found some nice "white" gold and "yellow" gold earrings. nice large and dangley kind I've been on the lookout for. At $2.99 for a four pack I couldn't go wrong. (Like I said "inexpensive") . Checked out a Payless store also, THis was a bit fun, in that I'd never been in this one. walked in and headed straight for the ladies section. Looked at some and tried on some. Even went for a bit of a walk with a few, but nothing seemed to be "just right for...." Spent about 1/2 hour looking and trying. Nobody bothered me one bit about "can I help you?" I guess I looked like I knew what I was doing. Either that or I was being watched on the security camera and nobody wanted to approach me. In either case I wasn't disturbed and went about my shopping with out any incident. Didn't find anyhting, like I said and as I was leaving one of the S.A.s asked if I had any luck today. Smiled back at her and said that nothing seemed to be "just the thing" I'd wanted.
After I left there I headed for the Cache store, which was the whole reason I was in the mall in the first place. (Always save the best for last, it's more fun that way)
Walked in and began looking at things, and got the "May I help you?" thing, gave my standard answer and continued looking. Saw the same little black skirt I'd picked up the day before, smiled to myself and continued "poking about"
"Why, lookee thar dear" Just what I've wanted for a long time. A cute little "wrap skirt" that wasn't too short but yet not way down over my knees. Searching through the rack I found the size I wanted (10). OK now for a top to go with this.
"Having any luck?" said one of the S.A.s,
"Just a little so far, now I need a top to go with this skirt"
Without going into all the boring details of the conversation between her and I, we ended up finding a few that would go with the skirt.
Then I got the comment about the return policy, and of course I replied with the "cost of gas" comment.
"Would you like a dressing room?"
"That might be a good idea, or I could change right here if you don't care."
Big smile on her face at that comment, "Well, some people might be worried about that."
"Not me anymore, I don't care, change here or dressing room, it's your store and I'll follow your rules."
another big smile from her.
(Funny thing about all this, I've found that once I "get into the zone" I'm totally different and the rest of the world seems to disappear from around me. I can't really explain it but I guess those who've "been there , done that" understand what I'm talking about")
Well, into the romm I go and try on the skirt, perfect is all I can say. Now for the top. OMG it's horrible, about that time "the knock, and is everything OK?" opening the door I show her how ugly the top looks and could she find something else? Few seconds later she's back with three more tops. Still no luck, each one is worse than the other. WTF is happening to me? This is bad, I usually get a decent choice with in two or three trys. I'm working on my fifthtop and still no luck. Then she finds the perfect top. A light gray shear sweater that is quite open in the front but would work well with a cami.
Excellent I'll take these.
At the register I'm "rung up" and "whooopppiiee" both items are on mark down sale. $24 for both things. She comments on my choice of clothing and taste in fashion, and the fact that I was careful about what I chose and why. I told her that if I was going to do something I wanted to do it correctly and not be trashy about it.
(Note here that I hadn't said anything yet about being a CD.) I'm just acting like any other customer buying something. At this point to demonstrate my statement of wanting to do things in a proper manner, I asked her if she wouldn't mind giving me her opinion of some photos of myself.
"Oh, you've got pictures?"
Reaching into what I call my "utility bag" but we know it's a purse. :) I pull out some 5X7 glossys I carry, (just in case) Now, these are some of my better shots and all are quite tasteful. (btw I'm not worried about having pictures of myself in my possession) anyhow as she's looking at them she caooments that I look good and dress well with care and consideration for others. , Asking her just what she meant, she replied in a rather embarrassed manner that I didn't look like some "street walker" Which I guess is what she was expecting to see.
"Here's my chance to do a bit of educating" I figured. Since it was only about 11:30 a.m. on a Friday morning, and not many customers around, I took the time to have a nice 15 or so minute conversation with her about "not all CDs are street tarts, nor are we perverts" and mentioned that up until that point I hadn't really mentioned my being a CD and was just another customer and thanked her for being considerate of me when I entered the store. She commented that I was quite polite in my shopping habits, unlike some real female customers who are very pushy and rude.
Like I've read many times here, always put your best foor forward and EDUCATE others when the opportunity arises. Always be polite and respectful. During our conversation I mentioned that I had been in the Manchester store the day before. The manager said the begining on Monday she would be working there since she had been transferred, and to look her up the next time I was in that store.
All in all a very pleasant experience on Friday. So much fun that I just had to do a "quick change" in the car at the other end of the lot so that I could wear the skirt on the hour drive to home. Thankfully I have A/C in the car. Turning it on "very low" helped with any "excitement" I might have had at driving in a short skirt.

TxKimberly
06-03-2007, 03:58 PM
And that is what it is all about. Doing normal things, like normal people. Such a simple concept and yet . . .
Kim

Michelle (Oz)
06-03-2007, 05:16 PM
"....(Funny thing about all this, I've found that once I "get into the zone" I'm totally different and the rest of the world seems to disappear from around me. I can't really explain it but I guess those who've "been there , done that" understand what I'm talking about").

That's an interesting comment. I hadn't thought about it like that before but I know what you mean. I walk around en homme in the crowded areas that I have walked en femme and think to myself "I did WHAT ... wow"

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Michelle (Oz)

Jodi
06-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Phyllis, A great day for sure. I shop regularly in a BCBG/Max Azaria store. It is on the same par with a Cache store, ie good quality, very fashionable clothing. I made a spur of the moment shopping trip today to my favorite outlet mall. I was in the area for other things and decided that shopping was in order--of course I was in drab. When I walked into the BCBG store, I got a hug from the manager and the question--"What kind of a great outfit are you on the prowl for today"? They had two new young SA's working there today. Robin, the manager, introduced me to them. I told them I was looking for a nice summer white dress. They took me over to the dress rack and began pulling white dresses off the rack. They set me up a fitting room with 7 dresses, and three pairs of heels to try with them. I found only one to my liking. It is white with black trim around the collar, has a lace bodice, cap sleeves and hem, and is just above the knee in length. Robin recommended that I wear my capri length leggings, a black belt,and black platform sandals with it. I was in the fitting room for about 1/2 hour. Robin was checking on me about every five minutes. She would step into the room and check the fit of each dress as I tried them on, each time making recommendations for accessorizing each dress. The two new SA's were very interested in what I had selected. They also gave their suggestions on accessorizing. I comlimented Robin on her wide black patent belt she was wearing. She said that she gets all her belts at Target for about $10 each, that I should do the same and not pay the high prices in her store.

I then went to Chico's around the corner. They had a sale having every top and sweater on sale--2 tops/sweaters for $24.99. When I entered one of the SA's who knew me, met me with "wait till you see what is on sale". She lead me over to the sale rack and began showing me everything. I ended up buying four tops at the sale price and one dressy black Travelers top on sale for $13--originally $89. To top off the sale prices, I get an automatic 5% discount because I am a Chico's Passport holder.

Then went to White House/Black Market store. This is a high end store that specializes in all outfits being black, white, cream or beige. Without a sale, they are on the high end, like a Cache store, but with sales, there are some great buys. The SA assisting me had waited on me before. She helped me select two white tunic tops and a mesh black cardigan, all on sale at $9.99 each. All three originally cost over $80 a piece. I also have a WH/BM blackbook card, which automatically gives me a 5% discount on everything.

My last stop was at the Ninewest store. I tried on a couple of pair of black sandals, but just didn't like them. While trying on, two gg's ask me how the sandals fit and complimented me on my pedicure (OPI pink). I did find a pair of nice round toe, black patent pumps for $19. Got those--not that I needed another pair of black patent pumps. Chatted with Lori, the store manager for about 20 minutes before I left.

All in all, a great day of shopping. The only item I bought for full price was the white dress at BCBG. I always find shopping in these stores at this mall to be fun and relaxing. The SA's always want to take time to chat. This is what shopping for us should be all about.

Jodi

Seville
06-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the Wonderful posts.:thumbsup:

I am happy that you had a good time!:happy:

Roxi Loh
06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Phyliss, I want to go shopping with you girl. You are one power shopper. I am pretty OK if the SA doesnt go on the intercom and say...Crossdresser on aisle nine.

kerrianna
06-04-2007, 03:12 AM
Great story Phyliss. :hugs:

I love to hear stories like this. Many of us think some great monster will swoop down from the sky and dismember us if we dare acknowledge we're buying for ourselves. In fact, if you are a pleasant and considerate shopper (as the SA pointed out you are) then staff are more than happy to deal with you. I found in retail nothing made me want to help someone more than them being a pleasant and courteous customer. One of the great things about retail is you get to meet some interesting and cool people, and obviously Phyliss you are one of them. :hugs: :love:

I like your description of the zone. I get like that now. For years I was reluctant to shop in our local thrift store, knowing I would likely run into people I know, and now when I first enter there's a bit of hesitation but when I start going through the skirts and blouses I get totally lost. It hasn't happened yet but one day I'll literally bump into a neighbour while in the zone. :heehee: As long as she hasn't got her hand on the skirt I'm eyeing. :raisedeyebrow:

Shelly Preston
06-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Great story Phyliss

Its Always good to hear of positive shopping experiences

You even manged to squeeze in some education too which helps us all

Well done :)