PDA

View Full Version : For those that are afraid to shop...

Valerie Nicole
06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Stop worrying about it! I've been shopping on my own a few times, but today I went into a store that only carries female clothes (this was my first time by myself in one of those stores). I debated for a long time, and then ended up buying a sundress. I offered no excuse, and let the cashier draw her own conclusions. What she said was (and I quote), "If there's a problem with the size, she has fourteen days to exchange it or get a store credit." There you have it girls, proof that this cashier just assumed I was buying a gift.

DeeInGeorgia
06-04-2007, 10:11 PM
What made it easier for me was when I got married and had a wedding ring. For those single, you might get a faux wedding ring.

That was quite a few years ago. Now I go into Lane Bryant drab, select what I want to try on, and go ask to use the dressing room, and they let me.

Dee

Charleen
06-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I needed some new sneaks so I went into Payless and headed right for the lady's section. The SA said if I needed any help just ask. I must have tried on 6 or 7 pair before I found a pair I not only liked, but fit well. All the while, other women were brousing and me with a 2 day stubble on my face! Not a word! When I checked out, all the SA said was that the stores were having a customer service contest and if I called the # on the reciept I'd get $2 off my next purchase!

Lovely Rita
06-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I was in my early twenties and just said what the hell. I went into a ladies clothing store. I bought a baby doll and stockings and the girl at the register just knew it was for me. I just wanted to get home and put them on. Sometimes our desires are bigger than our fears.

Glenda58
06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Going dressed is more fun. Trying on cloths and shoes and having SAs help you. And if you go with other girls the fun is tenfold.

Kristen Marie
06-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Last week I went to Torrid, a plus size store for women. Fun styles and great sales associates. I spent nearly 20 minutes browsing and chatting in general with the two young ladies. I stumbed across a perfect black skirt but was unsure of the size. They had size 2 and 3. I asked if I could try them on and they agreed gladly.

For certain stores, there are sales associates that now know me and are just so helpful and seem genuinely glad to see me. It makes this whole experience so much more pleasing.

suzanne
06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Val, you absolutely hit it on the nose. Just go in and get it. I shop in drab mode. If any one starts a conversation with me about my purchase, I just go along with them and let them believe whatever they want. Don't even try to lie about it, that's what raises their eyebrows the most. My most recent trip was to get some panties - no discussion whatsoever. Last Halloween, I picked up a gorgeous little black dress - just small talk. Those SA's had to know I was shopping for me, it just didn't matter!

Virginia
06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Not that shopping is not fun, but it would behove those who are not familiar with the multitude of female sizes to learn a bit about them, kinda like a class in advanced mathmatics or quantum physics, but it can save a bit of time. Example petite and women's can both have a size 10 but if you are a size 10 you best know whether or not you can wear a petite or women's and it gets even more complicated, so find a website like, NewPort News or even Victoria Secret and read up on the size charts and get some idea of where you may be and it can save sometime when you find something that you like and you wear a W-18 and the item is a P-10s.
It all in the education that comes with our gift!
Virginia

CHAROLEE
06-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Val is right, when i went out shopping this weekend for the first time (away from my hometown) i just told the SA that i was a crossdresser and that i needed some help with my selections. I happen to be an older person, so i didn't care about their reactions. She was in her 40's and was glade she could help. Its was a lot better when your not nerous.

Caroline
06-05-2007, 03:24 AM
The most important thing to remember it not to feel embarrassed, because if you do everyone notices you (for one, you look like a prospective shoplifter!).

I have never had any problems shopping en drab for femme things, even when asking if I could use the changing rooms to try a dress or something on. The only time there was a problem with that was in a couple of stores who had communal changing rooms - no single booths - both asked me if I wanted to use them, could I come in very early or very late, so it didn't disrupt their other (female) customers, but otherwise no problem.

I even remember buying my first bra, many years ago. I didn't know what size to buy, but told the assistant my chest size. She looked at me and said, "Well most bras look nicer in the smaller sizes, so why don't you go for an A or B-cup." She then left me to make my selection, and then directed me to the changing cubicle. Afterwards, at the till, she complimented me on my choice. For months afterwards I could have kicked myself for not responding in some way, and fantasised about what could have happened.

Colleen
06-05-2007, 07:38 AM
I do go shopping in drab and use the anaversery,birthday excuse.But I have much more fun when my wife is with me.She is much more of a bargin hunter

stacie
06-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Somtimes I wish they would ask me, Is this for you. So I can tell them YES.

JoAnnDallas
06-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I have gone shopping in drab and recently went to a Payless Shoe Store en fem, tried on shoes, and found a pair that went great with my new outfit. When I bought my last outfit at WalMart, I knew that the check out girl, knew that all the items I was buying was not a gift for someone. Most men do not buy complete outfits including pantyhose, bra, makeup, and jewelry.
Then when I went to Payless, no one paid any attention to me as I miggled with other GG customers, and the SA's were great help too. Both SA's were GG's.

LindaTS
06-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I always had trouble shopping when in drab. The only time I could do it was around the holiday period when lots of guys did it. Now I only shop as a woman and have no problems with it. I did have an experience though last week at Wal-mart. I went through the checkout and talked with the SA all the time I was there with her. Then the very next day I was in line with some groceries but in drab this trip. You'll never guess who got in line right behind me. Yep, is was her. Not one sign of recognition. That was a very good sign.

Wendy me
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
i use to have shopping issues .... now shopping is so much fun i can't believe i let anything stop me before .... and sure i get the rude sales person or the other's shopping with the look not a big deal at all now this sport of shopping is relay a blast......

Joy Carter
06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I have bought much in person while in drab. Have bought things in drag to. But I just can't get past the fear I have buy a bra. Don't know why really. It would be tough to denigh it's for me now wouldn't it ?:o

Ruth
06-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I remember being so keyed up when I bought my first dress. Each time it gets easier. Nowadays I browse round in the women's section in drab, hold things up to me, even try on shoes. No-one else gives a hoot, so why should I?
Most people are so concentrating on their own agenda they are really not paying attention to the other people around them.

Karan
06-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I can shop, but feel so guilty spending money on women's clothing. How much do you generally spend on on outfilt and how often?

Karan

Kelsy
06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I can shop, but feel so guilty spending money on women's clothing. How much do you generally spend on on outfilt and how often?

Karan

Well Karan
I would advise looking into a second job because once this shopping thing takes hold , look out!!:heehee::eek: Thrift stores are a great way to stretch a buck:D

Jennifer

Dixie
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I have no problem shopping in drab for women's clothes, it's shopping enfemme that I have yet to try. :drink:

Annesah
06-06-2007, 05:57 AM
I love to shop en drab. It feels mysterious. I know, I need counseling.

Deanna2
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
The fear that guys have shopping for femme gear is that everyone is looking. The late, breaking news is that no one, just no one is looking at you.

Angie G
06-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I shop for myself or the wife alone or with her it;s cool I love it :hugs
Angie

Emma England
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
The biggest fear is only inside your head.

MsPriscilla
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Valerie

Your post is the sort that is so encouraging to us all. I have a TV friend who i am trying to perusade to go shopping, but she fears - well to be frank i don't know what she fears. Humiliation, arrest, total embarrassment? I've shopped many times, always in drab, have tried on tops and skirts, heels, and once even a basque, without anything but acceptance, and never any embarrassment. As has been said almost to the point of boredom, shop assistants are there to sell,thier income depends on it, and the vast majority have seen it all before!!!

So to any girl who is nervous about it, GO SHOP. The first time is perhaps the scariest, but shop assistants don't bite, honest.

Mitch23
06-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Going dressed is more fun. Trying on cloths and shoes and having SAs help you. And if you go with other girls the fun is tenfold.
Amen and Amen! Only done this 4 times so far but get in there - its the only way! Doesn't take long to realise that noone gives a monkeys regardless of how 'real' or ugly or butch or hairy you are or whether you're dressed as a clown or Darth Vader!

Build up your confidence by browsing - then pick up that 'must have' item then take it to the changing room and try it on and buy it. Interract with the staff - most of them will really welcome you - then you might have happy experiences like my makeover in the middle of Marks and Spencer Cosmetics area in full view and without a care in the world!

Mitch

fredgregjoe
06-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I understand that the only thing stopping me from shopping is myself.
But I'm in no way ready for that. T_T
Online shopping is good for now...although I can't try anything on...

joann07
06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I've gone shopping in drab and in femme a number of times now and I've haven't had a bad experience yet. The first time I went out, I was in drab and went to a Victoria's Secret to buy panties and bras. I was nervous and debating whether I should go in, but then I said to myself "What the hell!" so I did.
I couldn't have had a better time. The SAs were very courteous and treated me like any other customer. And when I wanted to use the dressing room, they had no problem with it.
I ended up with 2 bras, 6 pairs of panties, and signing up for a Victoria's Secret credit card (how could I say no to the beautiful cashier).

I went back there again, a few months later, and bought a chemise, a long sleepshirt, and a few more panties. Again, I was treated very well.
Rarely do I get nervous anymore, but it does happen whenever I try out a new place.

I've just begun to start shopping in femme and I gotta say its a lot more fun than shopping in drab. The only time I get somewhat nervous is when I have to speak. I've been told many many times that I pass very well, but my femme voice needs some fine tuning.

lynnmcarthur
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I know the first time was the hardest but each time I go I gain confidence. I used to go at least 40 miles from hime and now go to my nearest store. Go for it and I assure you you will be happy

Valerie Nicole
06-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Buying is not a problem for me, but trying on is. I live in a smallish city where I could be recognized by people, so if they saw me trying on skirts or dresses, it would get around. Buying has become a breeze though, so that makes me quite happy.

Mitch23
06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I understand that the only thing stopping me from shopping is myself.
But I'm in no way ready for that. T_T
Online shopping is good for now...although I can't try anything on...
Noone ever is ready for it - you've just gotta do it - then you wonder why on earth you didn't do it before :->

Mitch

Emma England
06-06-2007, 03:32 PM
The hardest bit about shopping is trying to find enough money to pay the credit card the following month!