PDA

View Full Version : Laughed at AGAIN

Pantyjason
06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
So last night was the macy's lady. today it was the victoria secret girl. SO you gurls told me that Victoria Secrets would let me try on lingerie in the store...she laughed and said no...i'm soo defeated.

J

wtb Jessica
06-05-2007, 07:59 PM
look if they know what they are doing and care enough about the sale and customer then yes they would let you try them on. I have been asked before in victoria's secret would i like to try on what i have or would i like to look for a matching bra.
Jessica

Katrina
06-05-2007, 08:01 PM
That is unbelievable. These people need some transgender sensitivity training.

Cai
06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Did you insist that you were seriously interested in trying on and buying? She might have thought it was a joke/bet/dare and you weren't going to buy.

But that's pretty bad behavior for a salesperson, to laugh at a customer.

Kim_Bitzflick
06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry about that. :sad: All I can say is that each sales associate is different. Maybe you just need to find the right store or even city.

Pantyjason
06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
and I quote.

"Miss"

sp - yes

me- I have a serious but embarrassing question to ask

SP - Smiling, no problem, what is the question

Me - If I wanted to try on something in the store, would that be allowed?

SP - chuckled

me - I'm serious, I really would like to try on a couple the sale bras

SP - Men are not allowed in the changing room

Me - hmmm bummer

walked out sad and jealous at all the girls diving in to the sale bins and their cute shoes..hehe

Sharon
06-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Other than panties, which just isn't done anywhere by anybody, I have never had a problem at Victoria's Secret.

If you weren't inquiring about trying on panties, but, rather, another item, then the sales person was out of line and you should have asked for a manager. If the manager wasn't accomodating, then I would take it to a district manager or corporate headquarters.

Pantyjason
06-05-2007, 08:17 PM
taking this to a district manager since she would freak if she knew I was still dressing

Sharon
06-05-2007, 08:23 PM
taking this to a district manager since she would freak if she knew I was still dressing

I understand that. :happy:

I suggest you either return at another time and ask another associate, or just take your business elsewhere then.

Holly
06-05-2007, 08:31 PM
and I quote.

"Miss"

sp - yes

SP - chuckled

Me - hmmm bummer

walked out sad and jealous at all the girls diving in to the sale bins and their cute shoes..hehePJ, in your thread yesterday another member suggested eliminating the word embarrassing for your conversations with sales associates. It comes down to having confidence. What you project is what will be returned to you. Asking the SA where you could try on the items would have been a better approach, IMO.

Marlena Dahlstrom
06-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Well they should have been professional regardless, but....

Part of the problem is that you're acting like it's something to be embarassed about and presuming she'll say no.

If I'm out en femme, I just ask them to start room for me. (With shared dressing areas, even though there are individual rooms, I'm sensitive to "safe spaces" -- which might have been an issue at the particular store -- so by asking the question that way it does allow them to say if it would be a problem. But I've never had anyone say no.

When I was in a store last weekend in guy mode, I was eyeing a cute skirt and when the saleswoman asked if it were for a wife or girlfriend, I said no it's for me. There was a bit of pause, so I followed up with, "Betcha weren't expecting that where you." The saleswoman laughed and said no, she hadn't. And from then on things went fine. She went and got my size from the back and when she saw me measuring it (I carry a pocket-sized tape measure for occasions like these), told me that no one was in the dressing room, so why didn't try it on.

Bottom line, while I know you're feeling a bit beat down at this point, people will often take their cues from you. If you act like it's no big deal, they're more likely to act the same way.

And as others have said, if they don't treat you like a potential paying customer, then complain.

AmberCdCutie
06-05-2007, 09:11 PM
that's a terrible way to react to you...it is one of the reasons
that i have not wanted to go out and do much shopping, but
i think its awesome that you 'get back on your horse' after
having it happen, i respect that a lot!

Stephenie S
06-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Trying clothes on is NOT something to be embarrassed about. It is an important part of clothes shopping. Or perhaps I should say it is an essential part of clothes shopping. I never say, "May I try this on?", I always say, "Where can I try this on?", or, "Where is the dressing room?" You need to act like it's gonna happen, because if it don't happen, there's no sale. Which is exactly what happened in your case, you walked out and didn't buy anything.

This leads us to the second important point here. They HAVE to know you are buying. If they think you aren't a serious shopper, you are not going to get the respect you need. SA are professionals. They make their money by selling things. If they think you aren't buying, they are going to move on to someone who is. So, you have to present the right attitude. Asking an "embarrassing" question might have scotched the deal right there.

Who knows what went wrong, dear. In any case, don't get discouraged. You have gotten some valuable pointers here. Take them and keep trying. ALL of us who have done this have been successful. Get back on the horse.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Glenda58
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Did you go dressed en femme if not I wouldn't let you in the fitting room. A man in a fitting room where women are disrobing would look like you just wanted to look at women. If dressed then you are a serious customer wanting to buy a outfit. Was the store busy? If not then maybe they would let in. The SA were just looking out for the other customers. You are ONE they are many.
I shop dressed and try not the fitting rooms in the lingerie dept. if there are a lot of women there.
I'm not trying to make you feel bad but to look at what the SA has to do to protect the other customers.

Avsblues19
06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
If you want to take your business elsewhere, try Fredericks of Hollywood. They have great bras and are very CD friendly. I went in there in male mode looking for a teddy, and she asked what size my gf was. I told her it was for me. She was shocked at first but treated me like a lady after (eventhough I was very masculine looking). She even persuaded me to try on a bra in their fitting room.

I wouldn't ask to try on panties. The SA at Fredericks told me they don't even allow women to try on panties.

Princess29
06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I too had very friendly dealings with a Fredericks of Hollywood store. They let me try on various corsets in one of the changerooms with absolutely no problems. They asked was I looking for something nice for my girlfriend and I said "no, for myself" and they hardly batted an eyelid.

sandra-leigh
06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I never say, "May I try this on?", I always say, "Where can I try this on?", or, "Where is the dressing room?"

Myself, I usually use the phrase, "I'd like to try this on." I've never been refused. I have been redirected to the mens changerooms on another floor (and no, the changeroom nearby was not marked as being women's). I've been redirected to other women's changerooms on the same floor (that were lesser used). At exactly the same department store as those previous two redirections, I've also been sent right in to the changeroom in the middle of a women's clothing section, and which had women in other stalls.

In one place I was asked by the owner to wait until all the women left (left the store, that is!); the owner's daughter was embarrased by her mother and got me in to a change room while there were still several women trying on things in other changerooms; those other women customers didn't appear to mind even a little. After my purchase, the owner asked me to call ahead and make an appointment to shop after hours in future. When I discussed this with the local cross-dressing den-mother, she said that she was amazed I even got that far, as previously the store-owner had absolutely refused to have anything to do with crossdressers.

In one place (a bra store), I was asked to come back near the end of the day when no women were around. But the last time I went, a different SA sent me to a changeroom without hesitation, and was of considerable assistance in the bra fitting; there were two or three women customers in the changerooms at the same time. A problem for one SA, no hesitation for a different SA at the same store.

In any case, don't get discouraged. You have gotten some valuable pointers here. Take them and keep trying. ALL of us who have done this have been successful. Get back on the horse.

I mentioned some minor difficulties above, but those were notable because they are relatively rare in my experience. I've gone into department stores and womens' clothing stores and shoe stores and women's boutiques, completely in drab, and said that I wanted to try some piece of women's clothing on, and have been served without hesitation.

As I related in one of my recent threads "Getting bolder (or stupider)", I've gone in drab (noticable forms, but no wig or makeup) into a women's boutique, taken my time looking through the items, tried them on, and come right out into the main part of the store to show them to the SAs and to all the other customers, with the other customers speaking up to say which of the pieces they thought suited me the best, without the slightest bit of gigling or insincerity (I love that store :) ) The other customers might never have seen a guy in a dress before, but they helped me just as if it were perfectly normal, just another gal customer. (Did I mention that I love that store? :) )

I walked into a department store tonight 15 minutes before closing. Did the SA want to know why a guy wanted to buy 5 pairs of women's panties? Nope! What the SA wanted to know was why I don't get a store points card, since she knows that I shop there often enough (in the lingerie department) to accumulate some discounts.

There are two keys to success: to act like you belong, and (more importantly) to know that you do belong.

Look at the merchandise, flip through the racks, feel the fabrics, pull out out things and hold them up to look at them, ask the SAs about the styles of clothes you are looking for -- don't be looking around to see who is watching. If your shopping movements are the same as any other typical customer, then you will not look out of place, and even though people might look over and see that you are a guy, you will immediately drop out of peoples' attention, because you are doing what fits in. Actions in a store speak louder than gender (provided you are dressed in pretty much the same socio-economic class as the other customers.) If you are acting like you have something to hide or like you are ashamed, then people will be more likely to judge you a pervert -- but if you are acting right at home there, then "Oh, he must be a fashion consultant or something, there's lots of men in the fashion industry".

And the easiest way to act like you belong is to know that you belong! It's a store, you're there to buy (or to look as sincerely as anyone else looks), you're a human -- who cares what anyone thinks? If you are afraid of people thinking of you as a crossdresser, then other people are going to pick up on that. When you have accepted yourself as a crossdresser, accepted the fact that crossdressing is part of you, then most SAs will find that they have no problems at all helping you and no problems in finding ways to make the situation work for you.

AllieSF
06-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi PJ,

They were wrong and it was not your fault that they turned you down. I have heard a lot of "this store is TG/CD friendly". But it all boils down to the individual SA, the time of day, day of week and phase of the moon when you ask. You were honest in your request and they should have respected that, period. They did not. Taking it to a more senior SA or Store Manager is OK for some people to do, but not all of us are so out of the closet and self-confident. Again it was not in any way shape or form your problem. Yes, it helps to rephrase your question in a more affirmative and direct manner. I assume you are not there yet, and maybe like me, tend to think of the perfect reply or way to ask someone in the most positive manner too early or too late. All I can recommend is that you do not take it personally and just rack it up as another growing experience that hopefully one day you can laugh about. Also if you were wanting to try on panties, that is a no-no everywhere by law for health reasons. Good luck and keep trying. :hugs:

sandra-leigh
06-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Did you go dressed en femme if not I wouldn't let you in the fitting room. A man in a fitting room where women are disrobing would look like you just wanted to look at women. If dressed then you are a serious customer wanting to buy a outfit.

Could you clarify, Glenda, whether you yourself are an SA? When you say "I wouldn't let you in", are you talking about what you yourself do in practice, or are you talking about what you think you would do if you did happen to be an SA?

I've gone shopping for women's clothes far more often in drab -- it's a nuisance to go home and get all dressed up and to go from there to stores, especially as I don't drive.

As I outlined in my above post, I rarely have any trouble at all. But when I walk in to a store, I really look at things, checking out styles and colours and fabrics, and acting exactly like I've done this hundreds of times before (which I have, by now :) ) The SAs see at a glance that I'm a serious shopper, not someone there to pay attention to the women customers. They know that when I ask to try something on, that that is exactly what I mean, that I want to try the clothes on, and that there's a good chance I'll buy one or more of the items I have in my hands. The key to their assessment of whether I'm a serious shopper or a peeping tom is the way I hold myself proud, and the way I act, and the way I look at the clothes, not whether I'm currently dressed as a woman or not. These things are obvious to any SA with any experience: I look like (i.e., act like) a good solid customer. And it doesn't take them very long to make that assessment, either: it can be as simple as the fact that I made a beeline for a particular kind of clothes, in which case I'm someone who came in with a purpose and who knows what he wants.

I was in a bra store a couple of weeks ago, and one of the SA's had to run out to do something for a short time, but there was another pair of customers in the store. The SA who was assisting me glanced over at the SA who was trying to decide if it was okay to leave, and told the other SA, "Don't worry, they're just looking", and promptly turned back and kept helping me. Yes, I was a guy (in drab) in a bra store, but the SA had quickly assessed that I was a lot more serious about buying than the female customers were. I wasn't trying to sneak around hiding the fact that I was a guy: I was there openly, acting completely natural for a serious customer -- and I got good service (complete with serious bra fitting assistance, with the woman looking at me in the bras to see whether they fit properly.)

A guy who arrives dressed as an uneasy woman and who doesn't act natural and gets 'read', might be allowed to try on things on "compassionate grounds", but would, I would think, be judged as likely to buy something to avoid the embarrassment of being thought to be not serious. But when I walk in in my guy clothes and quickly convey through my body language that I belong there, they know that I'll shop seriously, that I'll buy something if I feel it suits me and not otherwise, that I might well buy several things -- and that if I like what I see, that I'll be back again. They are fine with having me use the changerooms because they've already quickly assessed that I'm a shopper, not a peeper.

Dixie
06-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Men are not allowed in the changing rooms??????? When my wife bought her first bra at VS they let me back there with her to help her, of course she teased me saying I bet you wish you could try this on huh? ...Yes. Well maybe we should ask if they have one in your size.... Any way back to the point, they let me back there with her.

sandra-leigh
06-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Also if you were wanting to try on panties, that is a no-no everywhere by law for health reasons.

PJ indicated in the conversation transcript that it was "some of the sale bras" that were to be tried on.

By the way, the laws around here are that panties and swimsuits may be tried on, but only on top of another garment (that is, keep your existing panties on here while trying on panties or a swimsuit.)

kerrianna
06-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Keep batting girl, just keep your head high and know that you will get your wish.

Like the other girls have said a huge key is KNOWING you have a right to try things on that you intend to purchase. Try practising some of the suggestions you have received here. Practice them at home first if it helps. And before going into the store tell yourself that this is your lucky day because you're going shopping and you'll find some things you like and you'll try them on and some will fit you and you WILL buy them. Get your positive vibes way up so when you deal with the SAs they KNOW you are serious and have done this before lotsof times.

I'm not sure why you're softening your approach except you think you may embarass them or yourself, but you only are embarrassed if you let yourself feel that way, and who cares if they are embarrassed? They have jobs they are paid to do. Ask with confidence, just like you were holding a pair of slacks in your arms in the men's department and had to ask for someone to let you into a fitting room.

Try again, hon...chin up...eye on the ball....:hugs: :love:

Caroline
06-06-2007, 02:47 AM
PJ,

A couple of people mentioned in your other thread (myself included) not to present the assistant with an 'embarrassing' situation - i.e. STOP using that word, because it is you who is making it embarrassing when it isn't!

As I said yesterday, I treat the whole business as entirely normal, and have never been refused, though a couple of times I have been asked to come back when the store opened or was nearly closing, but what's the problem with that? Not as convenient, perhaps, but not really a problem.

Having said that, your response to the assistant's refusal was all wrong too. When she refused the use of the changing room, you should have then asked if it was OK to try the bras on at home, and if they would agree to refund the money if they were not suitable for ANY reason.

Don't be such a wimp in future; you are a CDer, not a rug for other people to walk all over.

And stop using the word 'embarrassing'!!!

BTW, don't know what the situation is in the States, but over here (UK) it is illegal to discriminate against anyone on the grounds of their sexual orientation, and that includes CDers! You can report people who do and they can be prosecuted for it. Maybe you should look into that and, if you ever meet another refusal, mention that refusing permission is discriminatory.

Be more positive next time, and things will work out for you.

Phyliss
06-06-2007, 03:47 AM
I mentioned in a recent post about my latest shopping experience, the following conversation:

She: "Everything is returnable within 10 days if the store tag is still on."
Me: "Well, with the cost of gas today, there's only one way to find out if it fits without having to make a second trip. Which way to the dressing room?"

The point here is: I expected to be able to try on the items. If the things don't fit then I've wasted my time and money. Plus, remember if your somewhat embarrassed the first time, think how you'll feel the second time when you have to make the return. Get it right the first time honey.

Nicole
06-06-2007, 03:59 AM
Don't be such a wimp in future; you are a CDer, not a rug for other people to walk all over.

And stop using the word 'embarrassing'!!!

I don't think PJ is a wimp. It takes a lot of nerve to walk into an uberfeminine enclave like Viccies when dressed en homme and ask to be fitted for a bra, especially for a newbie!

Agreed that the word 'embarrassing' should be left out next time. If you are nervous, go early in the morning or late at night when fewer customers will be there. That might help you to work up the courage to do it. :happy:

karynspanties
06-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Ok, here is my .02...my wife worked for Mervyns for 4 years here in Michigan before they closed their doors. If you are a man, not dressed enfemme and by yourself, you have to use the mens fitting room. PERIOD. If you are with your wife and nobody is in the fitting room they would allow it. If you where comepletely enfemme, they could not legally ask you if you were a man or woman, so they would let you in. Think about it, really. What makes you think they would let a man in the womens fitting room when he is dressed as a man? Are you serious? Do you really think you need to ask a stupid question like that? I don't mean to sound like a b*&%^h, but come on poeple, use some common sensce!! If you are in drab and want to try something on...use the mens. What's the big deal? If your in victorias, just by it, if you really want it (you should know your size by now...if not you should not be in victorias) If it does not fit...take it back. Going into a store in drab or partially crossdressed and asking to try something on will get you told no AND it gives crossdressing another black eye. Don't add to the problem.

sandra-leigh
06-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Going into a store in drab or partially crossdressed and asking to try something on will get you told no AND it gives crossdressing another black eye. Don't add to the problem.

The situation may be different where you are (I'm technically not in the same country as you, even though your country owns most of ours :) ), but my experience around here is quite different than that: I get told "Sure, no problem" when I do my cross-shopping in drab. Not always in the closest change room, but close enough.

Around here, they would need a fairly solid reason to say No, and "It might make the other customers unhappy" is not an acceptable legal reason. Dressing rooms are designed to block views inward; if the view is properly blocked, then it doesn't matter if the person in the next stall over is male or female. If the view is not properly blocked, then the store is responsible for improving the blocking rather than discriminate against men. In order for discrimination to be legal here, it must fit to a specific purpose and be the minimum suitable for that purpose -- and it must be made clear.

For example, women-only gyms are allowed -- but the entry signs have to say so. Likewise, in places where nudity might reasonably be encountered, such as a locker-room, it is considered acceptable to restrict the gender. Religious schools are allowed to require that their religion teachers belong to their faith -- but are not allowed to require that their staff that do not teach religion (e.g., math teacher, janitors, financial staff) are of that faith (but they can get away with some morals clauses.)

But a store that is open to the public and which sells to everyone and has no signs indicating that sales are restricted to a certain group is not allowed to discriminate on the existence of change-rooms here. "Reasonable accomodation", sure -- for example, they could have you wait until all the female customers were out of the change room, not letting further female customers in (to prevent indefinite postponement) until you had gone in, done your tests and exited again. You get your chance in turn, the people before you get served first, the people after you have to wait until you are served -- that they could do, but a straight "NO" would not fly legally here for any facility that had not already established to the satisfaction of the government that discrimination was necessary due to the nature of the business.

karynspanties
06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
There is no problem with buying things while in drab. It's the trying something on in the fitting rooms. Can you actually think that when in drab or partially enfemme and there are both mens and womens fitting rooms that they will let you in the womens? Again, why would you even think you could do it? Why make a big production out of it? Just take your items and go to the mens! I have done that at Kohl's many times. If I am fully enfemme, I just go into the womens without asking. But in drab....to the mens fitting rooms. I would not even think of asking to go into the womens. It just draws more unwanted attention. And as Forrest Gump would say..."And that's all I got to say about that"

Caroline
06-06-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't think PJ is a wimp. It takes a lot of nerve to walk into an uberfeminine enclave like Viccies when dressed en homme and ask to be fitted for a bra, especially for a newbie!

The description was not meant seriously, but a (poor) attempt at putting over a serious point humorously, as was the point about discrimination against CDs not being acceptable.

However, PJ has to learn not to describe his situation as 'embarrassing', as a number of people told him here yesterday, after he recounted his first unfortunate experience, yet he went straight out and did it again.

Chrysoprase
06-06-2007, 01:14 PM
and I quote.

"Miss"

sp - yes

SP - chuckled

Me - hmmm bummer

walked out sad and jealous at all the girls diving in to the sale bins and their cute shoes..hehe

You know, she needs her job and probably doesn't have the freedom to let a "man" in the fitting room. Its the harsh reality but she probably didn't. The same situation with you asking the same questions, dressed the same way but with day old chipped nail polish that you "forgot" to remove completly and she might have just thought about it for a bit and sent you in. Its SOMETHING she can use as an arguement/explaination if someone complained, to keep it from escalating to a screaming fit of "I want her fired for letting him in there". There are alot of bored women out there just looking to make someones life worse and the sales woman just didn't want to paint a bullseye on herself (I used to work retail service, its not allways fun).

If it was a slow time without a group of women in the store going though the sale racks she might just have let you in anyways, she most likely doesn't care what you wear and would love the sale and possible repeat sales. Pick your times and how you approach it, some situations just aren't worth the hourly$$/commision. Asking to try on lingerie in a crowded VS while in full masculine dress could seem very pythonesque.

I wouldn't call what she did being laughed at and I'd definatly try going back. buy something and ask if it can be returned, or if it seems the right size. sometimes you have to build a relationship with sales people. It doesn't take long before "oh no, he's back" turns into "oh no you don't thats MY customer, find your own".

JulieC
06-06-2007, 01:45 PM

Here's another tactic.

Go in, buy 20-30 bras.

Each day over the next month, return to process a return on each and every one of the bras. Inform them that you would have been happy to try these on in store and avoid all this hassle, but since they refused to let you try them on, you had to do it in this manner.

Cai
06-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Here's another tactic.

Go in, buy 20-30 bras.

Each day over the next month, return to process a return on each and every one of the bras. Inform them that you would have been happy to try these on in store and avoid all this hassle, but since they refused to let you try them on, you had to do it in this manner.

This seems harsh, those girls don't get paid enough to deal with stuff like that. Retail work can be pretty awful sometimes, you don't need to make it worse.

Chrysoprase
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Here's another tactic.

Go in, buy 20-30 bras.

Thats why retail/customer service isn't fun. Sales clerks on floor get flak and extra work as punishment for policies that they have no power over, but must uphold.

amasveritas
06-07-2007, 05:13 AM
I don't know what it's like to be in your position, and I know it must be very hard, and I have no right of speaking... I know it's hard being laughed at, in junior high the other kids bullied me. But that's what's taught me to think "Screw it!". Go ahead, let them laugh, let them not take you seriously - but know what you want, make clear what you want, demand respect in the kindest way possible, and just go for it.

You can walk into that store again, hold your head up high, and ask again - and when they say 'no' again, make sure they know what they're saying. Don't let them scare you off, don't walk away with your head down. When I need balls I think of Cher, she's my hero, and I just imagine what Cher would do. I know, it sounds silly. But it works. "Are you sure you want to say 'no' to a paying costumer?" maybe you can ask them that, or something like that. Just so they know that you are not kidding and seriously interested in trying something on.

And if they say 'no', remember it is their loss. They are the ones losing a costumer and they are the ones living in a narrow-minded, sad little world. Their loss, you'll just go take your credit card somewhere else ;) I hope this helps. Take pride in who you are :)

tall_brianna
06-07-2007, 05:40 AM
And the easiest way to act like you belong is to know that you belong! It's a store, you're there to buy (or to look as sincerely as anyone else looks), you're a human -- who cares what anyone thinks? If you are afraid of people thinking of you as a crossdresser, then other people are going to pick up on that. When you have accepted yourself as a crossdresser, accepted the fact that crossdressing is part of you, then most SAs will find that they have no problems at all helping you and no problems in finding ways to make the situation work for you.

:yrtw: Yoda could not have said it better!

But having been to Ocean City many times, I'm not sure I could manage the confidence to walk into Victoria's Secret there. Kinda po dunk and red neck beach town over run with drunk frat boys every weekend. I seem to remember that Rahobeth Beach was/is very gay friendly.

Stephenie S
06-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Ok, here is my .02...my wife worked for Mervyns for 4 years here in Michigan before they closed their doors. If you are a man, not dressed enfemme and by yourself, you have to use the mens fitting room. PERIOD. If you are with your wife and nobody is in the fitting room they would allow it. If you where comepletely enfemme, they could not legally ask you if you were a man or woman, so they would let you in. Think about it, really. What makes you think they would let a man in the womens fitting room when he is dressed as a man? Are you serious? Do you really think you need to ask a stupid question like that? I don't mean to sound like a b*&%^h, but come on poeple, use some common sensce!! If you are in drab and want to try something on...use the mens. What's the big deal? If your in victorias, just by it, if you really want it (you should know your size by now...if not you should not be in victorias) If it does not fit...take it back. Going into a store in drab or partially crossdressed and asking to try something on will get you told no AND it gives crossdressing another black eye. Don't add to the problem.

While I am sure that the above quote is well intentioned, I find it a bit arrogant and domineering. I have been denied the changing room only once in my entire CD shopping career (at Coldwater Creek), and a quick chat with the manager set the SA straight immediately.

I agree that if there is a men's changing room available right there, then what difference does it make? But, I shop almost exclusively in women's clothing stores. After all, I am shopping for women's clothes. There is usually only one set of changing rooms available. How I am dressed (if I am presentable) should make NO difference on how I buy. Trying on clothes is an essential part of buying clothes.

Dressing rooms should be closed in and private. As such, how can it possibly matter what gender I am, or what clothes I have on when I enter the store? And how, pray tell, do you propose I get the SA's opinion on my outfit? Call her into the tiny changing room with me? No thanks, I will come out to walk and observe the outfit in the mirrors and chat with the SA about fit and style, thank you.

Victoria's Secret is one of the CD and TG friendliest stores out there. I have always felt welcome there dressed as a man or woman. It has NEVER made the slightest difference. Most of the shoppers on this forum have had EXACTLY the same experience. I have no idea why one would have difficulty using the dressing rooms at VS unless the SA thought that you were just a pervert using up her valuable time.

Presenting as a well dressed, well behaved, and serious shopper can NEVER give the CD community a "black eye". These kinds of scare tactics, however, can have a very negative effect on the shopping career of a nervous newbie. Let's be a bit more positive here, shall we? Shopping should be and can be fun. A bit expensive at times, but fun. Having the attention of a good SA who knows his/her stuff is a valuable part of the shopping experience. A good SA will have NO problem with which gender you present as when you enter the store.

Stores want your money. Stores do not want to try and dictate what you wear when you shop. Just relax, girls. This whole thing is almost a non-issue. In my experience, and in the experience of many others on this forum, it's really rare that you will run into this problem at all.

Lovies,
Stephenie

KellyCD
06-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I too had very friendly dealings with a Fredericks of Hollywood store. They let me try on various corsets in one of the changerooms with absolutely no problems. They asked was I looking for something nice for my girlfriend and I said "no, for myself" and they hardly batted an eyelid.

Same here. I have had wonderful experiences with them. That's the main reason my wife and I spend so much at their stores.

Since they were so courteous to me, I bring in more business.

Katrina
06-07-2007, 08:23 PM
BTW, not all stores in that mall are bad...

I went into Bakers tonight to just do some shoe browsing. It wasn't busy and the sales girl asked me if I needed any help. I said, "Not yet", and went on browsing. I found a cool pair of platformy heels and asked her if I could try them. The display shoe was my size so I said, "Oh, I can just try this one". She said, "Let me get the other one...hold on". Meanwhile, she hadn't given me any strange look at all...it was as if it was completely natural that I should be shopping and trying on those shoes. She comes back with three boxes of shoes. The red ones, flat black ones, and patent black ones. She then had to go help another customer. I tried them on and nobody gave me a second look (there were two other customers in the store by then). When I was ready to check out, she joked with me that I should get more than one pair. She also said she had that exact same pair but had paid full price for them (minus the employee discount), and she was PO'd that they went on sale ($20) soon afterwards. She was very professional and friendly, and I would purchase shoes from her again in a heartbeat.

sandra-leigh
06-08-2007, 02:28 AM
But, I shop almost exclusively in women's clothing stores. After all, I am shopping for women's clothes. There is usually only one set of changing rooms available.

Right. And if there isn't a sign saying that that one set of changerooms are women's changerooms, then the presumption in Canadian law would be that they are customer changerooms, not gender-specific.

If I have understood karynspanties correctly, she is saying that one should not even consider asking to try something on unless there is a seperate male dressingroom. If I had followed that advice, I would have missed out on a lot of good shopping, with stores that were happy to serve me and which welcome me back as a good customer. In some of them, I know for sure that I have had exactly the opposite effect from "giving crossdressing a black eye": SAs and store owners, who didn't know anything about crossdressing before I started going to them, now thank me for sending CDs their way and remark on how polite and kind the CDs were. Just being your own open and polite and friendly self is an act of Education, educating that crossdressers are not seedy perverts, but are instead often very reasonable and pleasant people with good taste -- and who love to shop.

SANDRA MICHELLE
06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree with others that have stated you should not have phrased your question about an "embarrassing question". I have always tried on items at the stores that I shop at and assume that I have the same rights as anyone else tring on clothes. I pick out my items and if questioned when I am going in to try them on I state that I would like to see if these items fit and continue on my way. I have been "lucky" I guess because I have never been stopped, I do shop for womans clothes quite often and almost always en-femme. I have been to all the name brand stores and I think much of my success has been in my attitude that it is my right to try on the clothes and wear what ever I wish.
Good luck in your future shopping excursions!

KewTnCurvy GG
06-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Hmmmm, may I ask how you were presenting yourself as female?
It just seems odd you keep getting the same response.
Is this some uber conservative area you're in?
Anyhow, smack them on the head next time and said if you were Dustin Hoffman doing research on a part for Tootsie II, she'd not hesitate.
Let me know on that dressing thing, k?
Kew

RobertaFermina
06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
PJ,

I hear your sadness PJ. :<3: Rejection can hurt, and it looks like you got hurt.
You don't have to feel defeated. :hugs:

You asked for what you wanted and got a NO.
Just asking is a victory.
Asking again is another victory.
Defeat is ceasing to ask.

Regenerate your spirit and ask again (in a new way?).

I can be killed. Yet, if my spirit is alive and striving, I am NEVER defeated.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

krisla
06-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with some of the other posts it depends on the SA and also your confidence level, I have been to MAC and also to Wig stores and have been treated like any other female customer even though I was drab. Both times I told the SA I was a crossdresser and asked if they would help me and both times they did. In fact at the wig store they thanked me for asking if there was a better time or protocol and they said jus come in.

I'm sorry I know how you must feel but you need to understand there are people who do help us with respect.

Krisla

sandra-leigh
06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Agree on using the men's dressing room in a store with both. I bought a dress at Sears a couple weeks ago and did just that.

At Sears, I normally use the men's dressing room; in the Sears I go to most often, the mens is right by a cash (get the men to pay before they change their mind :) ) and there is often a SA hanging around inside the dressing area (often a woman, interestingly): the cashiers and the dressing-room attendants often see what I'm taking in, and they don't display any sign that what I'm doing might be unusual. I hand back the items I don't want to the cashier just outside the room; they see me coming out, they see me handing over a dress or skirt or top or whatever, and they just thank me for bringing it over. Sometimes I ring it through right at that cash (where the other male customers are concentrated); usually though I end up going back to look for a few more items, and then I take my purchases to one of the other cashes. Half of the bra/panties SAs there know me by sight.

But on the other hand, Sears floor customer service is often conspicuously absent and so most of the time I'm working without an SA there. I have gone in to Sears and worked with SAs to help pick out blouses or skirts for me, and when I do work with the SAs like that, they usually have me go to a dressing room somewhere in the womens section -- somewhere they can go in and have me show them fits and suitability and they can run out and get other styles or sizes in short order. So even in a store that has a dressing room near menswear and another (or several) in ladyswear, if you are working with an SA to help you select, you can simply say something like, "Okay, I think I'm ready to try these on", and let them route you to a dressing room rather than assuming you must go over to mens. An SA who is "involved" in the sale may well decide that it doesn't make sense to have you running back and forth half way across the store, or might decide that you are likely to buy more if everything is convenient for you. Also, if you look, you might be surprised to find that many dressingrooms don't have any gender-specific sign on them, just the assumption that because they are in menswear or ladyswear that they are gender-specific. It depends on the chain, and depends on the individual store: some put up gender signs and other stores in the same chain might not, or might not have signage on all the dressing areas (possibly only the ones in the heart of the mens or womens and no signs on the periphery ones.)