PDA

View Full Version : Should guys know?

Deanna2
06-06-2007, 08:38 AM
The other day two of my nieces offered to help out with some chores I was doing and it was going to be grubby work. One of them was wearing a clean pair of capris and I suggested she should 'change her capris' because I didn't want her to get her clean clothes messed up.

It occurred to me that maybe guys shouldn't know the precise names of femme clothing items and I should have just said 'slacks or even pants'. There are probably a number of other femme items that that have precise names that we shouldn't 'know'.

Is our knowledge of femme clothing a give away?

Marla S
06-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Knowledge is nothing wrong and nothing to be ashemd of.
When we start there ... oh gosh :Angry3:

Of course it is a give away. Every subject we deal with more deaply has this give away of knowledge.

If there is a problem with knowledge, it is how it is used.

Dana921
06-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I was at work and showed a GG an outfit and called it that.

I said: This would be a great outfit for you! She said "Now your scarring me, you called it an outfit" :eek: Mentally trying to recover I said: Isn't that what you call it? :straightface: Best innocent look here on me! Searching, questioning look on GG!

Hasty retreat in order, Uhm.. I think I hear my boss calling me!:heehee:

Dana

Stephenie S
06-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Oh Deana, a give away for what? That you know about women's clothes? Anyone who has been married or lived with women for any length of time knows SOMETHING about women's clothes or else they are a real dope!

That you are gay? Well, are you? So what?

That you like women's clothes? Well if you do, you need to own up to it. That's no crime.

That knowing that cutoff women's pants are sometimes called capris makes you somehow "less of a man"? Get real, dear. There is nothing about knowledge of ANY kind that makes one unmanly. Do we HAVE to be stupid, beer slobering, farting, idiots to qualify as "men" in your book? This image may apeal to some, but not anyone I would want to be associated with.

Steph

rose382832
06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
maybe she thought that it was the ugliest combination possible and asked " you call that an outfit?":heehee:

Sharoncd
06-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Well YES they may think that something is going on here but if a guy is interested in woman he should know a little about what they wear. Its part of showing interest in them. At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

sharon

Kate Simmons
06-06-2007, 09:01 AM
One of the ladies came in to work one day a while back and I remarked: "Nice twin set". She looked at me and said:"Oh, the man knows his fashion" and smiled. Nothing else happened except for the fact that she was beaming most of the day that someone had noticed.:happy:

Dana921
06-06-2007, 09:06 AM
maybe she thought that it was the ugliest combination possible and asked " you call that an outfit?":heehee:

lol

I am only fashion challenged when in guy mode, when I am Dana, I seem to get my color vision back! :heehee: Yes, thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Dana

marie354
06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
When I was in my teens, I used to worry that I'd give myself away by my knowledge about women's clothing. As I aged, I came to realize that it didn't matter.
Now if a couple of women were talking about bra's and you piped in with how to measure yourself for one... That might be different, unless you were a designer or retailer of women's clothing.
I don't worry about what I might give away about myself any more. What's the point? I expect that everyone that knows me will know about Sandy eventually.
:hugs:

kassandra richard
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
My wife seems to get nervous when I mention some other lady's kitten heels. Or if I comment on why a pencil skirt suits her better than an a-line. Of course, is it not because I watch "What Not To Wear":heehee: Love Carmindy's makeup advice:thumbsup:

Kassandra

Kristen Marie
06-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I have caught myself being too over the top on being specific as to my comments on their outfits. I need to be careful because once after I was complemented on my weight loss and almost said thank you, I dropped two dress sizes.

Angie G
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I think so :hugs:
Angie

KarenNY
06-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I used to feel the same way when I was a teenager, that it would make me even more transparent as a crossdresser. Letting slip a word like "outfit", "pumps", "clamdiggers" (which are what we used to call "capris", basically) or some combination of words that let it be known I knew exactly what a girl was wearing used to make me nervous and blush, kind of throwing me under the bus that I knew a little TOO much about girls fashion. At least I had an outlet with a couple of GG friends who knew all about my crossdressing when I was in high school -- to the point where they pretty much expected me to act like "one of the girls" when I was hanging around or out and about with them as Karen (mall stores are a very different world when you're a girl out with the girls). I could even feel comfortable discussing dress sizes with them... then again, I also was raised by my mother, so some kids who knew me better could have assumed that was why...

Anyway, over the years I had the occasional classmate (high school/college) who did not know anything about my dressing, but to whom I commented on an outfit they were wearing and immediately I would have a buddy for the semester -- it seems a guy who knows fashion must be a more sensitive or "enlightened" sort, especially 15-20 years ago, lol... I can remember girls back in high school describing their prom dresses to me... unfortunately, even though I had a prom dress of my own, I couldn't describe mine without some serious strange looks, lol...

It happens less frequently now that I'm out in the workforce at an office, but maybe because I'm more on guard about letting slip my intimate knowlege of feminine apparel. Then again, I also have been married for more than 10 years now, so it could be assumed that living with the same woman for that long, I would pick up a few things.

Or maybe I just don't like the fashions of the last several years... lol...

Valerie Nicole
06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I knew a fair bit about women's clothes before I started to accept this part of me. Most of what I know comes from before I labelled myself a crossdresser. So I would say no, it's not a give away. Sometimes it's just the result of having a lot of female friends.

Ashleigh
06-06-2007, 09:53 AM
As I have mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with having the best knowledge about something one is interested in. It actually adds credibility to those who do. Even though we are "guys" this doesn't mean we are ignorant - I mean "naive",:eek: about terms. That is all that was said in the previous posts - "capris, outfits," etc.

A nice return to the comment of "you called it an outfit!" would have been to maybe say "well, that's what it's called isn't it?" and then be just matter of fact about it. Any other kind of justification for calling an apple, an apple, is what will raise suspicion.

A :doll:

aj_gg
06-06-2007, 09:55 AM
lol

I am only fashion challenged when in guy mode, when I am Dana, I seem to get my color vision back! :heehee: Yes, thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Dana

Now that you say that, I can kinda see it. Nathan/Natasha seems to have the same outcome. As Nathan he needs a little fashion advice and as Natasha he has the best fashion sense in the world. I will be the first to admit that not all women have a great fashion sense, I am one of them.

Take care,
AJ

tammie
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi Everyone: I once stunned my GG SO by being able to unfastenher bra in one deft move 9 times out of 10. Also one day I was preparing to unfasten her bra by having my hand under her blouse and I told her I could tell the color by how it felt. She didn't believe me of course, and challenged me.

I knew she only wore black or nude bras so I figured I had a 50/50 chance if I guessed. I was sure it was black and that the black was more slippery fabric than the beige. Either I was lucky or right as I guessed right. She was impressed of course. I bought bras and panties for her 2 times a yr, on her birthday in June and for Christmas so I knew both her size and preferences. Pity she didn't understand my desire to wear bras and panties was perfectly normal behavior for many men.

Alex!
06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I still have no idea what is what in the female clothing world, really. For me, there are skirts, shirts, pants, and shoes. Also hosiery. I do, in fact, feign ignorance when it comes to makeup and the like, as I really would prefer no one discover my secret. On the other hand, I think women are impressed when a guy knows stuff about female grooming and fashion, just in moderation I suspect.

More importantly, I do not criticize women when they selectively shop for hours or days for shoes, clothing, and makeup. I appreciate the work and the attention they go through, whilst before I would make fun of these rituals...

Fab Karen
06-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Now if a couple of women were talking about bra's and you piped in with how to measure yourself for one... That might be different, unless you were a designer or retailer of women's clothing.

If Homer Simpson was a CD: "Oh yeah, don't you just hate the way underwires pinch...DOH!"

O2B Barbara
06-06-2007, 05:46 PM
If I know I don't wory about it. I'm married and my wife corrects me when I use the wrong term. Nothing to out me there. But it is fun some times...

SherriePall
06-06-2007, 05:58 PM
And why shouldn't we know some of the things we know about clothing, etc.? Afterall, we are constantly bombarded on television and newspapers and magazines with the latest fashions. And if all we are doing is checking out the women in those ads and tv spots, we are allowed to pick up some knowledge of clothing and fashion.
Besides, any of us who is married or in a long-time relationship had better know something if we want to survive in that marriage or relationship.
So, in conclusion, having knowledge of fashions or the names of some clothing items should not out us unless we allow it to.

Denielleinheels
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
It is what it is... why play dumb? I would rather look well read then like an idiot. I comment sometimes when women are trying things on about the line being wrong for them ...most times they say thank you.

Deborah
06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
If you have daughters then you should know what they are. If not why play dumb? Just inform her you are well educated. :D

Sally24
06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Any red blooded american male who grew up looking at Laura Petri (Mary Tyler Moore on the Dick Van Dyke Show) knows what capris are and how good they can look on the right girl!

Missy
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
if we have girl freinds or wife then we will get the clothing items name from them so knowlage is good
so think nothing of it

Lori SC
06-06-2007, 08:25 PM
There are probably a number of other femme items that that have precise names that we shouldn't 'know'.

Is our knowledge of femme clothing a give away?

I think it depends upon how much you say, and how specific you are. Capris are sooo common, that any guy would be expected to know what they are. A peep toe slingback with two inch heel... women will wonder where you picked up that knowledge, but any guy who reads, watches TV and listens picks up all sorts of information. Now if you can recognize designer fashions....

Will they know you are a CD - NO. Who knows what they might think about where you learned about fashion. But if they are really curious, I'll bet they ask! And they will not suspect you are a CD, unless you have left a lot of other obvious clues.

Hugs, Lori

Deanna2
06-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm not personally fussed about knowing the names of femme clothing items. Like some have said if you are married (which I am and she knows I wear femme gear) and have daughters (which I have) then one must pick up a bit of knowledge over the years.

There are others, though, that may be more concerned about exposing their more detailed knowledge of femme clothing.

Seville
06-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I have caught myself being too over the top on being specific as to my comments on their outfits. I need to be careful because once after I was complemented on my weight loss and almost said thank you, I dropped two dress sizes.

Made my day! Good one! :heehee::heehee::heehee:

Emilia
06-07-2007, 12:07 AM
...Or if I comment on why a pencil skirt suits her better than an a-line. ...
Kassandra

This is the *exact* same thing that got me a funny look once! That's too funny :D I didn't even try to make an excuse,!

linnea
06-07-2007, 12:28 AM
And why shouldn't we know some of the things we know about clothing, etc.? Afterall, we are constantly bombarded on television and newspapers and magazines with the latest fashions. And if all we are doing is checking out the women in those ads and tv spots, we are allowed to pick up some knowledge of clothing and fashion.
Besides, any of us who is married or in a long-time relationship had better know something if we want to survive in that marriage or relationship.
So, in conclusion, having knowledge of fashions or the names of some clothing items should not out us unless we allow it to.

That's what I say: there's nothing really odd or abnormal about being aware of woman's clothes, even the specific terms that describe them. The give-away, if that's what a person is concerned about, is the way we act when we comment on these things. If a woman was surprised that I referred to her "outfit" as an outfit, I might just casually ask what she would call it, but I think that there is no cause for concern about knowing things that aren't strictly masculine.

Dixie
06-07-2007, 12:52 AM
With all the clothing ads, wives, girlfriends, and sisters out there men should know at least a little something, dontcha think Toots?:D

Tvanessa
06-07-2007, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned. As many commercials advertising capris as there are on tv maybe you just paid attention. There are many "valid" reasons to know what capri pants are.

Chiana
06-07-2007, 02:02 AM
I think if you are concerned about revealing your secret life of C/Ding then you might want to be a little careful about exhibiting too much knowledge about womens wear. Or fashion. Or designer handbags, Or nails, Or hair styles. Etc. You probably could get away with an occasional comment, without raising any red flags. But after a while, I would think you would be planting some seeds that you might not want to spout.

On the other hand, I don't know if it was a subconscious desire to be outed or what, but when I worked in an office with several women, I had fun complimenting them on their french nails, new dresses, new hair styles or when they lost weight. I particularly enjoyed their responses when they would say something like "most men don't notice that". Yup. :heehee:

kassandra richard
06-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Any red blooded american male who grew up looking at Laura Petri (Mary Tyler Moore on the Dick Van Dyke Show) knows what capris are and how good they can look on the right girl!

Too young to have seen that originally, but in reruns, wow that woman had/has legs. Can't remember the show where that was all that you saw of MTM. Some detective show (I think) where she was the secretary.

Kassandra

KellyCD
06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I've been in those situations before but I have a nasty habit of making that person look and feel like a 'tard.

I don't make excuses for my knowledge. If someone questions me with: "ohhh how do YOU know so much about that?"

I reply with:

"ok you got me, I HAVE A ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE *ahem"

(long pause)

"All my life I thought I was wierd, but I cannot hold it in any longer."

(look them right in the eyes)

"I can read. *whew I knew I went to collage for a reason. You'd be surprised with what I know. Hit me up if your interested in HTML or learning about variable geometry turbochargers or how to braid hair- I can do it all."

By that time they give me the "I have no idea what any of that means" look. And I LOVE that look.

wow I really am a....witch with a capital B arn't I?

Bonnie D
06-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I was driving my daughter somewhere one day and her boyfriend was in the backseat. She commented to me about how difficult it was driving in heels, she's been driving for about a year and hadn't had to drive in heels until recently. My comment was, "I know!" I'm not out to her but she knows my sense of humour and we both laughed. Her boyfriend quickly questioned how I would know and she said that was why we were laughing. I have driven a couple of times in heels and yes, it is quite a different feeling. :blushing:

Another day she was complaining about how difficult it was trying to put nail polish on. She is right handed and so her left hand was always so much trouble to do. I asked her which hand she does first. She said she did her left hand first. I suggested she try doing her right hand first because it's steadier and to try it and see if it helps. She gave me a funny look so I said that it made sense and then walked away. I had read here on the Beauty forum about which hand should be done first and why. :heehee:

I'm now out to my SO and although she is non-accepting and she doesn't want to see me dressed and any pics and she doesn't want anyone knowing about it she wanted to see what I had. I showed her a few skirts which she commented were better than any she had and then one piece of lingerie I pulled out she asked what it was. I said it was a waist cincher. I could see why she wouldn't know because it wouldn't be anything she would ever wear.

I do have to be careful when I'm at a check-out and I'm looking at how the young girl has done her eyes or when I see a woman wearing a particularly nice skirt, dress or outfit. I want to comment but they would get the wrong idea so I don't and also I can't be seen paying too much attention, also for the wrong reasons.

So I find I do have to be careful about how much I know about things I really shouldn't have an interest in or at least a sudden interest in.

Bonnie

Gina_darling
06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
It is nothing to be ashamed of! The girls don't mind, other guys make jokes about it but I laugh them off. Yesterday a friend commented on an outfit someone had and I said they had similar things in a particular shop for £8. The friend was appreciative but her boyfriend joked saying how do I know and the price too! At which point I just laughed it off saying I was observant!