PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Help Needed.

Stacy3595
03-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Does anyone here know how to convert men's pants size to a woman's pants size ?

I wear 38-30 men's pants.

any help is appriciated thank you all :)

Carrah
03-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, I'm pretty much a newbie as far as buying womens clothes. But, I can share what I've learned, for what it's worth. I started by tightening a rope around my midsection to figure out where my "woman's" waist was and then measured to see what size waist that might be. I wear size 32 pants, but they hang lower on my body than most women's pants or slacks do. For womens clothes, I have to wear around a size 29 or 30 waist with my cinch on and then wear them much higher on my body. Okay, so that's that; find out where your woman's waist is, then take the rope off and measure the size at that place on your body, then devide that number in half.

Now, before I realized all this, I was buying women's clothes to fit where my pants normally would hang. So, it was simple math; half of 32 equals 16 inches. I took a ruler to the store with me, made sure the womens pants were buttoned, pulled them fairly tight, and measured for 16 inches. What that told me right there and then was what size womens pants I would be wearing.

I still take the ruler with me when I go, but I now look in misses (I wear a padded girdle) and I look in the size section for my "woman's" waist (half of 29 inches), and pull out the ruler only if I am seriously considering buying something I really like; I don't want to waste my money or have to return anything. Anyway, I think most people figure if I was buying them for myself I wouldn't need the ruler.

AnnaMaria
03-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Stacy,

The easiest way to tell for sure if they will fit is to try them on. Other than that you should go to a clothing website and look at the size chart. That will give you a fairly good idea of what size you wear. Just keep in mind that clothing makers don't stick exactly to the size chart as they should.

I have a 32-34 in waist and I wear a size 14u.s. From what I can tell from what you said in your post you will probably wear about a size 18 or 20 depending on what you are buying, pants or skirts. You should really try to find your exact measurements so you will have an easier time finding clothes.

http://www.fitme.com/fitmesite/scripts/main/frameSet.jsp

This site will tell you exactly where to measure to find your sizes. Just keep in mind that from what it told me the sizes are about one size to big for me.
It said that I wear a size 7 panty and I only wear a size 6 but it will at least get you close.

hope this helps.

huggs
anna

Tristen Cox
03-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Yes go by your measures to be most accurate. Men's clothing doesn't alter nearly as much as sizes of womens apparel. Most sites online have charts for sizing just go by your measures. Especially confusing is buying overseas, but as long as you know what you are in metric and standard you shouldn't have a problem.

Love
Tristen

Carrah
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Yes go by your measures to be most accurate. Men's clothing doesn't alter nearly as much as sizes of womens apparel. Most sites online have charts for sizing just go by your measures. Especially confusing is buying overseas, but as long as you know what you are in metric and standard you shouldn't have a problem.

Love
Tristen
This is an excellent point; mens pants generally all hang at the same place on their body, while womens pants hang from a variety of places.

I always wondered why and was quite annoyed by the fact that mens pants are measured from the croch. In reality, all men hang their pants from the same place on their body regardless of what pants they buy or where the croch might be, so why don't the makers of mens pants acknoweledge this and print sizes measured from the waist? If I buy mens jeans with a tight croch, I would wear a 32 length to keep the length right. However, if I buy a pair of Dockers with a loose croch, I suddenly can only wear a 30 length. Yet, as I said, both the jeans and the Dockers are hanging from the exact same place on my body!

With womens pants or slacks, one pair might hang from above my belly button, while the next pair might be hanging from my hips regardless of whether they are jeans or any other style. Then, let's take that confusion a little further and toss in different widths! Misses, womens, Juniors, etc.

The ruler method I use thusfar has been flawless. I don't buy onlne because I really do not have to unless something just is not available locally, such as my padded girdle. If I had used the size charts and advice online for buying womens shoes, I would be a size 12. However, I went to payless shoes and guess what; I'm a size 11.

Just remember that when a womens chart refers to waist measure, they are refering to a womans waist, which is in most cases higher than a mans waist, which is then in most cases a different size than his natural waist. It took me a while to get used to wearing womens pants so high on my body. When I wear skirts where I would normally wear my pants, I need one size. When I wear skirts where a woman would wear hers, I need a smaller size. Tristen is right; a man can increase in body mass quite a bit before going up even one size on his pants while a woman puts on even a slight amount of body size and she is immediately into a new size of clothing...

DonnaT
03-04-2005, 08:45 AM
I wear 40-42 men's waist. A skirt I recently bought that fit was a size 18. Women's pants at size 18 are too big. I tried on a size 16w pair of shorts recently and they fit fine.

So, dividing my waste size by 2 won't translate to a woman's size.

Accordingly, it is best to just try them on at the store. Don't want to use the ladies dressing room? Carry them to the men's, no one checks.

Or instead of using a ruler, use a string. Wrap the string around your waste and mark it with a color marker. The string is easily carried into a store and easy to use when checking sizes.

Stacy3595
03-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Just wanted to say thx for all the quick and helpful answers i've got to my pants size question, you girls are the best!

xoxoxox Stacy :rolleyes: