PDA

View Full Version : Wigs: How much is too much?

Vallari
03-03-2005, 05:57 PM
I was giving my wig a some maintenence today and I have gotten it combed to the point where I can run my hand through pretty much any part of it without hitting any major snags/tangles. I'm sure it's near impossible to get them all out considering theres thousands if not many more strands all falling and swaying around one another constantly.

I noticed however that many strands on my wig are getting more and more deformed now, especially at the ends. The basic shape of a general strand here is...
TOP OF WIG .................................................. .........END OF HAIR
--------------------V----V----V-VV---VVV----V---VV--VVVVV-VVVVVV

My best guess here is that the tension the brush puts on each strand as it passes through the hair deforms the synthetic material, caising these little kinks or whatver the technical name for them is.

>Is there any way to get rid of these or at the very least stop more of them?

>How many of these kinks is too much (wig becomes overall unattractive)?

>Should I get a new wig all-together because of overall appearance?

Any help/wisdom/stories would be appreciated! :)

Aloha_Dana
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Vallari,

I wish I knew the answers to your Q's. I'm in the process of buying my first wig today (just cut the cashier's check). I myslef wanted to know more about wigs, such as what makes some wigs better than others. Not finding any info (granted I didn't do a full search on it), I ended up going w/a more pricey one hopeing the price meant quality. I you get some answers here.

Dana

P.s. here is what I am buying http://www.about-wigs.com/raven.html

Melissa A.
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Natural hair wigs won't give you that problem, but they are more expensive and require much more frequent maintenence and styling. I find the extra expence and work worth it. Others may not.

Hugs,

Melissa :)

Sweet Susan
03-03-2005, 08:20 PM
You know what everybody always says, "you get what you pay for."

Aloha_Dana
03-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Natural hair wigs won't give you that problem, but they are more expensive and require much more frequent maintenence and styling. I find the extra expence and work worth it. Others may not.

Melissa, was it you who found a hh wig for under $100? All the ones I looked at were up 5 bills and higher...

Melissa A.
03-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi Dana,

The natural hair wig I own cost exactly $100. The ones I have seen online can be more, $150-$200. Five hundred dollars is way too much. But then again, I have heard that a quart of milk is five dollars on the islands!

Hugs,

Melissa :)

DonnaT
03-03-2005, 10:29 PM
You should never brush a synthetic wig. Use a wide tooth comb.

You can try and recover the wig by soaking in Woolite. With proper care the wig will last 6 months to a year if worn often.

If the Woolite doesn't work, you'll probably end up getting a new one. I got my first one from beautytrends.com. No complaints.

Tristen Cox
03-04-2005, 07:37 AM
You know what everybody always says, "you get what you pay for."
Couldn't have said it better myself. Now How much is too much? Anything over three digits :p I've seen a 'bob' cut hh wig for less than 100$US but not sure where though. For long and natural hh, prolly around 200$ and up(500 is a little too damn much though).

Love
Tristen

Wendy me
03-04-2005, 07:44 AM
ever see a guy with a bad toopeay (spelling for shure)well a wig is no diffrent you get what you pay for ..........if your plans are to be out and abought spend the extra money on a good wig............if you are dashing in and out of the closet with no plans to go uot and abought maybe a cheeper one will do.......................................
you get what you pay for.........

racheal
03-05-2005, 10:20 AM
I've got a few wigs lying around in the closet. Maybe I'll have to bring them out for some fresh air...