PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it! Olivia comes out...

Olivia
03-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi girls! A few weeks ago, I wrote that I was seriously thinking of coming out to my two adult children; my daughter is 25 and my son is 23. I received a lot of encouragement and support here, with the final consensus being that, of course, the final call was up to me. My wife had already given her blessing and she, too, said it would have to be when I was truly ready. Well, I was ready this past Saturday. My daughter, who lives and works in Dallas, was home for her first visit since Christmas. Late Saturday afternoon, she and her brother were both home, it was rather quiet around the place and I'd had a couple stiff screwdrivers to drink(ah, that ol' liquid courage!!); I knew that it was then or never. I asked them both, along with Jackie, my wife, to come with me into our living room. The kids sat on the sofa and I said, as I knelt in front of them, that I had something kinda important to talk about. Talk about being nervous! Geez, I wonder what my heartrate might have been at that moment?

I took a deep breath and said, "since I was 13 years old and living in Australia; for the past 39 years,...I've been a crossdresser." They both just looked at me; my daughter had a bit of a smile, I think she thought at first that it was a joke of some kind. She soon realized that I was dead serious. My son who I suspect already knew, just looked down at his lap. I told them their mother had known since well before we married and that it had not been easy for her, and sometimes still wasn't. I explained that it was a big part of who I am and that it was more and more important to me all the time. I said that as it has become more important to me and a bigger part of my life, that their mother's acceptance had also grown. She nodded her approval. My daughter said that she didn't understand it. I told her that neither did I nor her mother. It was just who I am. It was who I'd always been. That the public face that everyone else knew was not who I really felt like all the time. It didn't change how much I loved them or what kind of father I'd been for them.

I knew I wouldn't be able to get through the whole scene without becoming emotional and, of course, I couldn't. I couldn't stop the tears, as I told them that I was sorry but I felt like they deserved to know the truth about me. We had always placed a premium on honesty in our family; that I felt they had always been very honest with us and that now that they were both adults, it was only right that they know. My daughter got up and came to hug me. We cried together and she told me I had nothing to be sorry about. I kissed them both and told them how much they meant to me. I said that they were both part of me, and so was their mother, and so was Olivia. We talked a bit more about it and I asked if they had any questions. They didn't; I guess that might come later, I don't know for sure. It felt so incredibly good to finally have it out in the open. It seemed so hard to just say it, but looking back, I see how easy it really was. In just a few seconds, this great secret that I had kept for so many years was out. AND, they were alright with it! We had a couple little laughs and the rest of the weekend went along very normally. My daughter and I did leave the house together a couple times before she returned to Dallas Sunday night. Neither of them mentioned it again to me or my wife. Perhaps they were still in shock but I don't really think so. They are fantastic, understanding, open-minded young adults and I was blown away by their acceptance and compassion. I cannot detect any change in either's attitude or mood in the days since.

Girls, I truly feel like a great weight has been lifted from me. I no longer feel I must hide my femme things. I don't intend to flaunt it before them but I also now feel like I don't have to rush and hide every time one of them comes into the house while I'm dressed. Maybe someday they will see me while completely dressed. I am not rushing it. That time will reveal itself just as the coming out did. Maybe it's my imagination but I also seem to sense a different attitude in Jackie since then. I have made friends with another crossdresser through this forum. She lives in central Texas as well and we are making plans to meet in person. I am so excited about that as I have never even met another girl like myself, ever! My wife knows of my plans and has given her blessing as well. I think that she senses that this step is very important to me. Incredibly, I too feel that this has really strengthened our relationship and her trust in me is so reassuring.

I apologize for such a lengthy post. I have been waiting until I had enough time to do justice to the whole experience. I think that the support and encouragement I received here was the catalyst for my breakthrough. And, for that, I am so grateful to you, all my sisters in silk here on the board. Your stories and examples gave me the courage to finally move forward after so many long years in the "dark". Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for bringing me into the light. Bless you one and all, Olivia.

Carrah
03-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, the truth is, we are who we are, then we have children and for many, many years after that we are someone else. During our parenting years we take on the role of people we never were until one day we realze we've been living too long as someone else; someone we aren't even sure we know. When the children grow and move out, we begin working on finding ourselves again. Most of the time our spouses are there for us and quite justifiably so; they are trying to figure out who they are, too.

Congratulations on the perspective you have found, on the wonderful acceptance of your children, and of your wife, as well. Keep in mind, my friend, that she is also seeking to regain a few lost years of her own; be there for her and help her with what you can.

I have always said that when the kids are grown and out of the house, it is time to gradually introduce them to their parents...

Holly
03-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Olivia,

Honey am so very happy for you... and your family! You say that we have been an inspiration to you. You, Olivia, with your story of courage, integrity, and honesty are the true inspirer. I think that what you did is the untimate act of femininity. Think about it. Women are always the risk takers in relationships. And they are usually the ones who are most vunerable, totally dependent on the reaction of those around them.

Olivia, I curtsey to you, dear lady. You, of course are wise enough to realize that there will still be some rough spots ahead, but with the foundation you have built, I believe you will gain total success and acceptance by your family. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Sweet Susan
03-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Olivia,

I am just blown away. What an incredible experience for you and your wife. I'm sure it must have been rather eventful for your two children, as well, but I know the impact must have been felt by you the most. Man! I wish I could do something like that, but I can't, and that makes me wonder just where I fit in all of this. For the past few days, I've been seriously thinking about walking away from dressing. Hard as that seems, but I've been having some strange thoughts lately. I'm not so sure this is "what I really am." I enjoy it. I love doing it. But it just isn't what I need to make myself whole, and I think that is what separates the girls from the boys. I know others have mentioned it, just yesterday Anita announced she was walking away. I'm not sure where she is with it now. It is such an incredible amount of trouble, and the impact on family members is great. And for what? For me it isn't about being myself. I'm not sure what myself is, but I know I don't want to be a woman, I just like, er, make that love, being AS a woman. Oh, my, but you have given me so much to think about. Thanks! Susan

racquel
03-04-2005, 05:05 AM
Olivia,I am so happy for you and your family.I agree that honesty is a great family trait.
I also agree with you that this forum is a great motivator for so many of us,and your story will in turn motivate someone else and the chain of sisterhood will get longer and stronger.

Tristen Cox
03-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Very well written. I'm so happy for you:) Now that the wait is over and the burden gone, you can go on to live a richer life without hiding things from the ones that you love. They sound like a wonderful family. Peace and happiness to you. *hugs*

Love
Tristen

Wendy me
03-04-2005, 07:24 AM
wow that was realy nice the way you did that with your kids. that seams to have lifted a huge burden off you . frist with your wife knowing helped a lot to have her beside you ...........thanks for shareing that with us..................

DonnaT
03-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Congratulations Olivia! I'm really happy for you.

I believe it was a big relief for Jackie as well.

Secrets can be a burden even if one does not realize it. I feel it in my wife, but she still won't let me tell our children. However, we we got back from Hampton this weekend, I ran around in my stocking feet with exposed painted nails and she didn't ask me to cover them up when our son was around. Whether he noticed or not I couldn't say, as he did not mention it.

Thanks for letting us know how it went for you.

letsdance GG
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I too am happy for you.

We have decided to not tell our kids just yet. Our oldest is 21 and the youngest is 15. We may never tell them. Who knows.

We have 4 all told between us. I think out of the four, only one might be ok with it. Even then I am not sure about it.

You are truly blessed to have such understanding children.

From a GG perspective, you handled your wife's feelings admirably by waitiing until she was ready as well.
I wish you and your wife nothing but the best from here on out.

Priscilla1018
03-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Olivia,

I am so happy for you, well done. Thanks for sharing with us. Reading posts from our sisters Helped me come out a while back. Is'nt it a great relief?By posting your story about coming out you will, I think,influence another to come out of the closet.WELL DONE.

Love and Hugs,
Priscilla

Julie York
03-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Very inspiring and well explained too. I wish you luck.

Olivia
03-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Thank you all for your kind, wonderful comments! What I did might not be right for everyone but I do feel a tremendous sense of relief. If it inspires someone else, well, so much the better. I take so much from my visits to this forum; it is only fair that I try to contribute something as well. Thank you girls, life is good isn't it? Love, Olivia.

Shining Star
03-04-2005, 08:10 PM
that was probably the hardest thing you've had to do in your whole life but now that you have made the next step i have to congratulate you enjoy your womenhood with your whole family

Aloha_Dana
03-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Olivia. Wow. Congratulations.

Dana

Helana
03-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Olivia

You are an example to us all. There is nothing love cannot conquer. You must be so elated and your wife too now that there are no more secrets in your family.

Helana