PDA

View Full Version : Jealous reaction

battybattybats
06-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I was just leaving the Doctors yesterday when I got an amusing remark on my nails. Earlier in the week I'd cracked a nail and cut them all back fairly short (for me) yet still long for most guys, and they were freshly painted black after I cut them back. The receptionist, who I'd guess was in her late 50's or more and with an odd look and strained tone and expression said 'those are well manicured nails, did you paint them yourself or did someone do them?' 'Yep, myself' I replied with a positive firmness.. her facial expression turned a little more sour and was clearly jealous.

MuHahahaaaaaaaa

Bobbie cd
06-08-2007, 10:29 PM
That's great, batty.
It definitely sounds like jealousy in action.

I seldom have the courage to go out with my nails painted unless I am actually dressed "enfemme", although I do wear my nails fairly long compared to most men and keep them nicely manicured. I also usually keep them coated with a nice glossy clear polish. :D

Wenda
06-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Good on YOU! Two weeks ago on Friday, I had 9 NAils! By Monday, I had 6!!!! I am back to 8+..I have NEVER had anyone of any gender envy my nails. Go Girl!!

Denielleinheels
06-08-2007, 11:18 PM
That's a neet feeling isn't it? I do get that a lot.

O2B Barbara
06-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Good for you. I have never had the courage to let the nails grow long, much less paint them!

Robin Leigh
06-09-2007, 07:06 AM
I love it when GGs notice my nails. Sometimes I get sour looks, sometimes they say that they wished their nails were as good as mine. :)

I've kept them buffed & fairly long for many years. But for the last year I've been getting lots of cracking & splitting after I stupidly used a bathroom cleaning product one time without gloves. :( They've almost recovered. I hope. :) I'm seriously thinking about wearing nail hardener, but I'm a little paranoid about how some of the guys at work will react.

:hugs:

Robin

battybattybats
06-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Zinc supplements can be good for nails. A good excuse for using nail hardner is to say that frayed nails catch and are a distraction even when short and chewing them is no longer sociable :)

It's easy to have long nails and to paint them as a goth, you're already weird and eccentric so it's less noticable amongst the rest. That is with my nails black of course, if I did them pink I'm sure there would be more of a reaction.

I've worn black lipstick out before too.. once I went to the cinema with black lipstickk and afinely trimmed beard!

Angie G
06-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Way to go Batty girl :hugs:
angie

Jennifer in CO
06-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Working in the photo industry for almost 20 years, it was easy to explain long nails (1/4" minimum white showing) as simply an additional tool for picking up negatives by the edge and never touching the surface. Now, 20 years after that, I just tell people that I've had them long for too long to cut them short again!

Jenn

cavehill
06-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Are you a mind reader? Exactly what was she jealous of?

JoAnnDallas
06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
wife and I were in Lowes this last weekend and as we were checking out, the checker looked at my hands and said "OMG, are those your real nails?" I said, "Yes, they do have acrlic covering on them, but thier real." She then asked if I did them myself or got them done. I told her I had them done and where I got them done. She then said that I had better nails then she did and was a little jealous of mine. We both laughed and then she was finished, I paid, and we got ready to leave. Wife told her the reason I had them done was I had bad nails that broke or split all the time. The checker said. "It fixes that too". Wife said yes, and the checker was impressed. LOL

sobe1ove GG
06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Are you a mind reader? Exactly what was she jealous of?

Yeah, maybe she wasn't jealous and instead was just appalled that a man was wearing polish? That's what it sounds like to me.

Sobe

LindaTS
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Although my nails are quite long the last time I got a comment on them was from a doctor in the ER. I had lots of pain in one shoulder and he said something like "Your nails are almost dangerous weapons. You need to cut them". Don't know what my nails had to do with my shoulder. Oh well, that's a man for you. That's also why my three doctors are female.

JoAnnDallas
06-11-2007, 01:51 PM
My doctor is female and it's really funny she and every nurse I have ever meet that have looked at my hands, not only want to and currest them, but comments on not only how nice my nails look but how nice my viens are. If your in medicine you will know what I'm talking about. LOL

Karren H
06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
See I don't take her reaction to youe as one of jealousy... After all why would she be jealous? More like she think your a pervert or something... But hey you were there and I wasn't.. So if that what you want to think it was........

Karren

Lovely Rita
06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Good for you! You rock Batty

battybattybats
06-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Well jeolousy and disgust are different emotions with different facial expressions. I saw both on her face, jeolousy more than disgust so no mindreading neccessary :)
It's so much easier when people aren't hiding their feelings but showing them plainly. It's also my reading of her tone of voice too.

Now I'm not saying my comprehension of non verbal and tonal communication is perfect but these two emotions I've had a reasonable familiarity with. I could be wrong, anyone can. I'm pretty confidant though.

Fab Karen
06-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Yeah, maybe she wasn't jealous and instead was just appalled that a man was wearing polish? That's what it sounds like to me.

Sobe

Unless Batty was in a tiny town where the modern world doesn't intrude, many people are aware that black nails=goth fashion ( or at least that it's something popular with youngsters), and 50 is too young to be that clueless about modern society.

battybattybats
06-12-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm sure the bat-human figure on my necklace, the bats on my wallet chain, the black clothing, all might have helped the goth recognition too :)