PDA

View Full Version : Yuck working on cars & the sun !!!

kimberly_f37
06-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Yuck yuck I get tried of working on cars and getting my nails greasy and dirty !
Being in male mode and working on cars and in the sun at times sure put a tan line on my arms and neck once again and it looks like I am a red neck now lol !

Told my wife it time to Lay out !!!

Chrysoprase
06-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Its AMAZING how well acetone based nail polish remover cleans grease off nails. ;)

I like working on cars from time to time.

Holly
06-10-2007, 12:58 AM
...Told my wife it time to Lay out !!!Laying out at this time of night isn't going to help with those tan lines! :D

kimberly_f37
06-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Laying out at this time of night isn't going to help with those tan lines! :D

LOL I figure it be best during the day..

Andi
06-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Kimberly, I know exactly what you mean. My natural nails take a real beating working on the car and I also manage to scratch my fingers and hands as well. Press on nails cover the nail damage but I'm still left with the scabs from the cuts and scratches.:sad:

Kelsy
06-10-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi Kimberly,

I can feel your pain! I hate the tan lines I get working in the sun:( got the farmers tan and the red neck thing going. And nails! I get so upset when I break a nail these days!:eek:

Jennifer

TxKimberly
06-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Well, working on the car is no fun, but I sure can't wait to reap the rewards!

Kim

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/527698717_9fb0a5aa3e.jpg

lindsaycd75
06-10-2007, 07:15 AM
mmmmmm 'stang. thats a nice car ya got there. I have a fcouple of old cars I tinker with so my real nails are never nice, but thats why god invented fake nails. lol :D I discoverd a weirder way of messing up a nail last night though, I rolled over in be and hit my hand on the night stand anbroke my thumb nail right off. lol:eek:

Joy Carter
06-10-2007, 08:24 AM
If you want to keep your hands nice. Then buy a can of D&L cream style hand cleaner. Then work it into your hands and under your nails. It keeps the grease from getting into your skin and under your nails.

And girls when are you guys ever going to give us "Red Necks" a break.:rolleyes:

scarlet
06-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Nice ride there Kimberly I recently sold a 70 ChevelleSS Now I to hate working on them. I only do it Cause I have to.:hugs:

Kelsy
06-10-2007, 09:29 AM
And girls when are you guys ever going to give us "Red Necks" a break.:rolleyes:

Sorry Joy,

I mean I literally have a red - neck thing going:D

Jennifer

Dixie
06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Nice Stang Kim

sissy_tulsa
06-10-2007, 11:32 AM
beautiful mustang!

Mitch23
06-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I dont like doing things that mess up my nails and my hands either - I really should get the wife trained up!

Mitch

LindaTS
06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I hate doing guy jobs. I usually end up breaking a nail or two and it takes forever to grow them back.

Stephenie S
06-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, I started wearing gloves. Never had before, and I always poo-pooed workers who wore gloves as too sissy (part of my macho image). My car mechanic mentioned how clean his hands were since he had started wearing gloves so I tried it. By golly, it works. I just bought a pack of latex gloves from the auto parts store. I love 'em. They rip easily, but are so cheap you can just keep changing them.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Sarah V
06-10-2007, 02:39 PM
One solution to save your manicure and your hands from becoming all greasy when working on your car is to start using the latex, rubber, or nitrile (if you are allergeic to latex) gloves that everyone in the medical feild wears. You can buy them almost in any drug store now a days and I am sure auto parts stores sell them too. You can also get them in heavyier types from medical suply houses. A lot of mechanics who work in the dealerships are now wearing the latex exam gloves gloves everyday. I wish I had thought of the idea to sell medical exam gloves to the autoshops years ago!

Sorry, I don't have a good suggestion for the tan line problem, except to try and find a good shade tree.....

KellyCD
06-10-2007, 03:00 PM
This thread is kinda funny to me cuz I am a mechanic in the army. So I work on humvee's all day long in the Iraq sun. Talk about a tan!!!

I don't have any gloves and stuff like that is kinda hard for me to get here maybe I should try and get some.

Cristi
06-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Kim

Nice! '67? I had the same thing with a ragtop, but sold it years ago :(

I can relate to the suntan issue in this thread... I am a cyclist and get a 'biker tan' every year that covers ONLY my lower arms and the tops of my thighs from mid-thigh to the knee :( There is NOTHING that can make that look good short of long sleeves and opaque tights.

kimberly_f37
06-11-2007, 01:01 AM

Kim

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/527698717_9fb0a5aa3e.jpg

What a pretty mustang !! Had a 65 and what a ride She was !!

kimberly_f37
06-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Well, I started wearing gloves. Never had before, and I always poo-pooed workers who wore gloves as too sissy (part of my macho image). My car mechanic mentioned how clean his hands were since he had started wearing gloves so I tried it. By golly, it works. I just bought a pack of latex gloves from the auto parts store. I love 'em. They rip easily, but are so cheap you can just keep changing them.

Lovies,
Stephenie

I tryed wearing gloves but I didn't like the feeling of having something thick between my fingers when grabbing bolts..

kimberly_f37
06-11-2007, 01:07 AM
One solution to save your manicure and your hands from becoming all greasy when working on your car is to start using the latex, rubber, or nitrile (if you are allergeic to latex) gloves that everyone in the medical feild wears. You can buy them almost in any drug store now a days and I am sure auto parts stores sell them too. You can also get them in heavyier types from medical suply houses. A lot of mechanics who work in the dealerships are now wearing the latex exam gloves gloves everyday. I wish I had thought of the idea to sell medical exam gloves to the autoshops years ago!

Sorry, I don't have a good suggestion for the tan line problem, except to try and find a good shade tree.....

Sorry they don't work i always rip them and throw them away and I end up with just my hands greasey anyway!! YUCK YUCK

cindybarnes
06-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Hi Kimberly,

I understand all about grease under fingernails,,,it happens every day to me. At least I get to work on a lot of new cars so they are not as bad. I have soaked my nails in soapy water for a while to soften the cuticles and help get the hardest grease off. I cant work with gloves either unless using window urethane,, way too hard to remove that stuff!!
Working in the sun is not a good idea for me after having some skin cancer removed last year but I already have that red neck farmer tan too LOL
Hope Im not turning your thread into a Mustang thread but loved TX Kim's pic and had to find one of mine ,, hope its ok :)
Cindy

http://cindy8082002.com/carpics/Picture180stang.jpg

robyn1114
06-11-2007, 06:47 AM
My two favorite passions mustangs and CDing. I have 2007 GT as my daily driver and a 91 GT race car (drag racing)

Emily Ann Brown
06-11-2007, 07:39 AM
As another sister mentioned, I keep a box of latex gloves handy for mechanical work....works well for me.

And try doing the work in a tank top or a cami...has helped me not have a redneck tan (also called a trucker's tan around here).

Emily Ann

Trish
06-11-2007, 08:40 AM
My two favorite passions mustangs and CDing. I have 2007 GT as my daily driver and a 91 GT race car (drag racing)

I know the feeling, I have a 1998 Convertible, a 2001 Bullitt GT, and a 2007 Coupe.

jenniferj
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Rather than the latex gloves, try the blue nitrile ones. They cost a little more, but are much miore resistant to tearing. I haven't found that they get in the way very much, and even when they do tear, the dirty part is much smaller. Plus, since my hands tend to sweat indie the gloves, they come out softer and pinker, and moister.

The various health organizations and OSHA have started warning us about direct exposure to a number of the fluids (oil, brake fluid, solvents, gasoline) that you are likely to encounter under the hood - a good reason in itself to wear some protection. Remember when we used to wash our tools and parts in a bucket of (leaded) gasoline?

They are also starting to advertise "mechanics' gloves to protect against the more serious abrasions. I haven't tried them, but I do keep an old pair of leather/canvas workgloves to slip on over the nitriles for pulling hard on wrenches, or jockeying around big stuff ( engine blocks, transmissiopns, etc.)

As to the tan lines, any skin that's exposed to the sun is also exposed to the bad chemicals. I picked up a couple of all-in-one poop-suits (Cathhart insulated for cold weather, long sleeve cotton for the warmer days). These also keep those really hard to scrub places (backs of upper arms, small of the back) much cleaner. BTW I have found nothing better than Wisk to clean the oil and grease out of workclothes. Since my delicate skin is sensitive, I wash the stuff twice - first in Wisk, then in Tide.

Now for the less aggressively dirty tasks (washing the car for example) I recommend a thin raggedty cotton dress, held loosely closed by a single safety pin. Preferably near a road gang. :)

jj

Steff26
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
If you want to keep your hands nice. Then buy a can of D&L cream style hand cleaner. Then work it into your hands and under your nails. It keeps the grease from getting into your skin and under your nails.

Thank you Joy, Not all "rednecks" are bad. Anyway, I love workin' on my truck in the sun. Getting all greasy, and dirty, then cleaning up nice.

jenniferj
06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
An observation that may be interesting...

I seem to see a lot more references to Mustangs and Falcons and such (Fords) that to Camaros and Novas. This is the opposite of the more mainstream magazines. BTW I am a Ford guy/gal too.

Does the TS community gravitate to Fords for some reason? Does Ford know about this? Can you think of some really cool ads they could produce to grow this market?

On Monday mornings I should be working...

jj

Karren H
06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Well what are your options... Stay in girly mode more and let the cars fall apart...... Or pay someone else to maintain them and there goes all the money you could have spent on fem clothing...

Or try to balance your time better and work in the car early in the morning, not in the sun or late in the evening.... Wear mechanics gloves... Lots of ways to do both you just need to do some planning and scheduling..

I spent all night till 11 pm working on exhaust system on my sons Camry.. Got it patched so he could drive to school this morning.. Ordered the replacement parts online this morning.. Wore gloves, and keep my nails short and wear stickon nails when I go out enfemme... Just another facett of life...

Plan the work and work the plan.....

Karren

TxKimberly
06-11-2007, 01:02 PM
. . . Hope Im not turning your thread into a Mustang thread but loved TX Kim's pic and had to find one of mine ,, hope its ok :)
Cindy

http://cindy8082002.com/carpics/Picture180stang.jpg

Wow - that is one pretty pony! Can I have it? No, really, I'm serious! Stop laughing!

Kim

Jennifer in CO
06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Emi...I agree on the tank or cami. I wear a tank usually when Im out doing the horse chores or mowing. Since I was out about 6 hours this past Saturday, I have a VERY feminine tan line following a low-cut back tank top now!!

Jenn

Trish
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
An observation that may be interesting...

I seem to see a lot more references to Mustangs and Falcons and such (Fords) that to Camaros and Novas. This is the opposite of the more mainstream magazines. BTW I am a Ford guy/gal too.

Does the TS community gravitate to Fords for some reason? Does Ford know about this? Can you think of some really cool ads they could produce to grow this market?

On Monday mornings I should be working...

jj

I also have two Corvettes, and a Plymouth, besides my Mustangs.

Lissa Stevens
06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I know what you mean. I work as a maintenance person in a hospital and I hate what it does to my hands and nails. They get torn and after washing so much because of germs my hands are too dry. Added to these are the injuries. Today I cut a big gash across my arm that does not enhance a feminine appearance. I constantly have cuts and scratches on my hands and arms.

cindybarnes
06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Kimberly LOL thanks but no joke,,, its looking for a new garage :)

Karen, yep we have to pay if we want to play :) I got into car repair because I couldnt afford nice new ones 25 years later and Im still broke ~,,, then there is my prob that I cant seem to part with em ! Imagine how many outfits one old car is worth ,,, talking thrift shops not designer stuff LOL

Trish, wow ! Sounds like a nice collection! I have one of those plastic Chevy's too :) my pic files are way to scatterd to post one now but we had a cool car pic thread not too long ago here

JenniferJ,, hmm you may be onto something !!

zencat-x
06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
These are the kind of gloves the pro mechanics at NASCAR wear. They work excellent and wont tear like those flimsy latex ones. Plus they really help with preventing cuts when torquing down on that stubborn bolt and the wrench slips off: @#$% Oh how that hurts!

0.5 mm synthetic leather with rubber-like qualities.:happy:
http://www.autosupermart.com/auto/images/mechanix/originalglove1.jpg (http://www.autosupermart.com/store/shop/mcx00001.html)

robyn1114
06-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I grew up in a ford family, the only time I slipped is when I bought a 1996 trans am and I still hear **** about when I go home to visit.

kristytv
06-11-2007, 11:39 PM
im a ford girl myself http://members.tccoa.com/jk89cat/89cougar/kitty1.gif

http://members.tccoa.com/jk89cat/89cougar/cougarengine2.gif
1989 cougar with a 347 stroker

http://members.tccoa.com/jk89cat/96f150/f1505.gif

1996 f150 351 e4od 4 inches of lift

http://members.tccoa.com/jk89cat/92tbird/tbird.gif

1992 tbird with a 1994 dash in it, 5.0 lowered, dressed up like a supercoupe

i cant find any decent shots of the 64 galaxie at this moment but since everyone is playing show me yours ill show you mine lol

kristytv
06-11-2007, 11:49 PM
oh and ladies nice ponys , i had a 67 coupe that i was going to make into a 68 cal special clone but decided i didnt need a 5th car