PDA

View Full Version : Just like normal... right? Right!

Nicole
06-10-2007, 05:08 AM
In spite of my recent surge of self-acceptance, I recently backslid into feelings of desperation. Desperation to fit in. Desperation to be "normal". I subsequently asked my wife a very silly question:

"Sweetie, might it be possible that everyone is just like me? I mean, if you took the average guy, dressed him up, and made him look like a pretty girl... well... wouldn't he want to follow the same path? I mean, he would be crazy not to, right? Deep down, doesn't everyone want to be pretty?"

My wife paused, glanced across the room with her cute little "are you totally sh**ting me?" look, and replied, "Uh, no. Not quite. You're special. Most guys would not react the way you do. They would think 'Gee, how cute. Now get this stuff off me please!'"

The fact is, I AM normal. I guess I simply haven't accepted that yet. Not completely, anyway. Ah, but you get it, dear reader. Thank you. May the curse of "the normals" pass you by today. :hugs:

GypsyKaren
06-10-2007, 05:17 AM
In my opinion, normal is an obscene word that should never be used to describe me, it is the ultimate insult...but I'm glad you're feeling good about yourself, that's the key to success!

Karen

Nicole
06-10-2007, 05:22 AM
In my opinion, normal is an obscene word that should never be used to describe me, it is the ultimate insult...but I'm glad you're feeling good about yourself, that's the key to success!

Karen

Thanks. By "normal" I mean OK in the way all living things in their natural state are OK... not in that "normal-as-cult-mentality" trap I think you are referring to.

Vive le difference! :thumbsup:

Kelsy
06-10-2007, 05:25 AM
Normal is what the majority decides. Being different is far more interesting and fun. I for one steer clear of the herd mentality and will decide what is "normal for me" WE are all OK! enjoy:D

Jennifer:happy:

Marla S
06-10-2007, 05:35 AM
I have my quoting day today.

“People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.”

Hermann Hesse

That's normal :D

“Every man is more than just himself; he also represents the unique, the very special and always significant and remarkable point at which the world's phenomena intersect, only once in this way, and never again”

Hermann Hesse

That's normal too

“You are only afraid if you are not in harmony with yourself. People are afraid because they have never owned up to themselves.”

Hermann Hesse

That's the normality we live in.

Gypsy is right. Normal is an insult of which unique is the opposite

One doesn't feel normal, but RIGHT or off the track.

Mitch23
06-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Don't like the word 'normal' - not sure there's any such thing. Interesting, unconventional - thats better!

Mitch

Stephenie S
06-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Dear Karen,

An interesting post.

I often wonder too about my own normalcy. Of course I feel "normal" inside, but perhaps "normal" is not the right word. I have always felt this way, so the feeling is pretty familiar.

Often I catch myself using this word erroneously with my patients when they display a symtom or a side effect that is expected. I will say, "Oh, that's normal", when really I mean to say that's "common", or "frequent". An elderly person coming out of anesthesia often displays confused behavior and thought patterns for several weeks, even months, afterwords. Of course I don't mean this is "normal", only that it happens sometimes, and does not mean that someone's father of mother has slid into dementia just because of a hip operation.

When I stop to think about it, I realize that my behavior is not really "normal". Most people are not blessed with the ability to look at the world from the viewpoint of two genders. Most people are satisfied, even rejoice, in their birth gender. You and I are not. So, I fear we are not "normal" no matter how it feels to us.

Lovies,
Stephenie

battybattybats
06-10-2007, 06:35 AM
LOL.. I've often considered being told I'm weird as quite a complement and never tried to be 'normal' as such.

In fact my latest catchphrase is one I've used several times when going out with friends or my GF when I'm gothed up. "Lets go freak some norms!"
:devil:
Not that I actually go out of my way to upset or disturb anyone.

Kate Simmons
06-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Good grief Karen. Who in the world would want to be "normal"? I mean, where's the fun in that?:rolleyes:

susie bear
06-10-2007, 06:47 AM
I don't belive there is anything such as "normal:. I think unique is a more acurate word. We are all unique.(normal) unto our selfs. If we were all "normal" we would not be different and different is so much fun. Enjoy life as you will and enjoy being unique.

susie bear

Nicole
06-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Allrighty then. Apparently my vernacular needs an update. OK, so I'm not normal per se, I RULE! :yahoo:

Saaaaay... if I agreed with everyone's definition of what 'normal' means, wouldn't I cease to be unique? Ha ha, nevermind. Don't answer that. No need to split hairs this early in the morning. Speaking of which, I have two wigs to wash today...

TxKimberly
06-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Well, like most here, I pause at the word normal. I have decided that no one is "normal" andwe all have our little quirks.
Is the guy that gets on a huge bull, pisses it off, and then tries to ride it for 8 seconds normal?
Are the people that KNOW they are going to be sent to the middle east and STILL they join the military normal?
What about people that dive, sky dive, climb Everest, or set out to find brave new worlds? Are they "Normal"? I don't think so.
Normal, based on what I saw growing up, is NOT something I want to be.

O2B Barbara
06-10-2007, 07:18 AM
I too really don't care for the term normal, just seems to be a place to put people in a category to make others feel good about themselves. I also think there are a lot more closet CD's than the world really knows about.

lindsaycd75
06-10-2007, 07:19 AM
normal is a setting on a cloths dryer. I know som very straight laced hetro, "normal" people that have weirder interest than i do.

GypsyKaren
06-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks. By "normal" I mean OK in the way all living things in their natural state are OK... not in that "normal-as-cult-mentality" trap I think you are referring to.

Vive le difference! :thumbsup:

I can go with that, for I am one with the universe and all it's creatures...okay, I'll shut up and go to my room.

Karen

Joy Carter
06-10-2007, 08:33 AM
OK there is a tribe in Africa that may sound primitive or strange to you. But they smear cow dung on their bodies to sculpt designs as a status symbol. So who's normal and not normal in this world.

Kelsy
06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
OK there is a tribe in Africa that may sound primitive or strange to you. But they smear cow dung on their bodies to sculpt designs as a status symbol. So who's normal and not normal in this world.

Ewwww!!!!:eek:

Jennifer

Kristen Kelly
06-10-2007, 09:20 AM
If you wanted normal we would all be like the Stepford Wives ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327162/ ) That’s like asking how old is old, 1 persons point of view.

Dixie
06-10-2007, 11:20 AM
I have always hated the word normal, but now I just say I am Normal, Normal for ME!

Violetgray
06-10-2007, 11:28 AM
My definition of a normal person is a person you don't know everything about yet..

Joy Carter
06-10-2007, 11:33 AM
My definition of a normal person is a person you don't know everything about yet..

Pretty good observation.:D

Rachel Morley
06-10-2007, 01:18 PM
My wife paused, glanced across the room ......... and replied, "Uh, no. Not quite. You're special. Most guys would not react the way you do. They would think 'Gee, how cute. Now get this stuff off me please!'"
This is exactly the sorts of conversations my wife and I used to have. Me questioning myself, and her reaffirming that me being girly is a good thing in her eyes and I should be doing it. She says that it doesn't matter if I different than other guys, being the way I am suits me. This is my "normal".

trannie T
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I am totally normal.

Except for a couple things.

Except for a whole lot of things.

OK, I'm abnormal.

Sodapop
06-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't see anything abnormal about crossdressing. I think most (all?) men have fantasies, desires, urges or compulsions that are not necessarily mainstream. Mine happens to be women's clothes. Thank goodness it's not something horrible like (insert horrible fetish here).

I often wonder about what the other thirty-something husbands are wishing they could do, or even what they're doing, in private.

Sodapop