PDA

View Full Version : Pedicures are cool but be prepared for teh backlash!

Mistress Frillee
06-12-2007, 07:21 AM
I get pedicures! I go to a Spa. Its great! I really like the private room, the foot message, the attention to detail. I had a hot little french girl. Loved her french accent! And she commented on how soft my feet were. She even said my feet are softer then her feet! LOL I never knew! And I even got some color this time round. A nice pinkish/peach color! And of course a top coat! OPI is my fav polish! :thumbsup:

And contrary to popular belief most woman do not enjoy grubby scruffy "manly men" complete with dirty finger nails and builders bum YUCK! They like a man that cares about his appearance. Makes an effort to look good. It is very sexy when a man takes care of all the details of up keep, so I am told. Men like the woman they are with to look good so it works both ways.

But, be prepared to get some Flack! My mom & sister in law BOTH freaked out! They told me how the lady that did my toenails OBVIOUSLY thought I must be gay & everyone else will too & why did you do something so stupid & throw away your money on that you idiot! My sister in law was ok with the pedicure, BUT NO COLOR ON MEN! I got about 10 minutes of this as my mom & sister in law teamed up! . So be prepared. :eek:

Anyone else?

http://i18.tinypic.com/53ab58g.jpg

Marla S
06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Well, of course the first reproach you'll usually get is the gay one.

Ask them what the problem is if people would consider you gay.
Those people have a problem (they are homophobic) and maybe should do a pedicure to relax.

Ask your mom and sister if they become butches if they don't paint their nails. If not, they should forget about this nonsense. (And NO, there is no difference !!!)

It doesn't need much to be labeled gay anyway. Whatever you do that is not 110 % straight you risk the gay-reproach. Hence, why worry about it.

The Gas Man Cometh
06-12-2007, 08:03 AM
It doesn't need much to be labeled gay anyway. Whatever you do that is not 110 % straight you risk the gay-reproach. Hence, why care about it.

Which is why the old saying from guys, "I don't want to go dancing! That's SO GAY! I would rather play football," makes no sense to me.

Especially when touching women for them, is apparently totally gay and manhandling other males over a ball is straight? XD

The Gas Man Cometh
06-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Anywho, I love OPI polish as well. Albeit I only get the black bottle, it's great stuff. I still have some chips of it remaining on my finger nails, which reminds me, I should get to re-painting them sometime.

Nice photo by the way, great colour blending. Nice and tidy, but not too loud, or even "gay."

MJ
06-12-2007, 08:13 AM
i use to get the you must be gay ... etc , etc , etc . but i don't care i know who and what i am .. let people think what they want .. you feel good about getting yourself pampered then do it ..

you idiot!

hey you are not an idiot!!! don't let them stop you ... next time get a deep pink pedicure hell i would get my nails done at the same time and go over and say hi ...

Lilith Moon
06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
I got my ears done a few days ago...wooh hooo....been thinking about it for years and when I mentioned it to my wife she said she was OK with it, which amazed me. (I'll start another thread about her unexpected change in attitude)

However, I'm expecting some flack from various family members when they see my little gold studs. My daughter is going to be gobsmacked, she is very uptight and conformist. I have a sister-in-law who has always disliked me and I can hear her now "I knew there was something wrong with him from the day I clapped eyes on him" with her husband chiming in "Bloody poofta", they will revel in the knowledge that they were "right" all along.

Their problem, not mine. Screw 'em :heehee:

Dana921
06-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I had my first pedicure this past Saturday and really enjoyed it as well. Not really a spa just one of the open walk in type of places you see in malls. Not too busy so I went in and had to ask twice because the first time I do not think the words actually came out loud enough for anyone to hear, nervous! One older lady watched me like a hawk the whole time I was there and the other lady customer talked with me. She actually said I think it is nice when a man takes care of their feet. I thought for a second I was dreaming of reading one of the threads here becasue someone else shared the same experience! Anyway I got my eyebrows wax also. Good experience, but couldn't work up the courage to put color on my toes, maybe next time!

So I say do what you want and let the others talk! At least you will know what and who they are talking about! :heehee:

Dana

Brianna Lovely
06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
I think you should do your nails, anytime you want to............but next time, use a bright red, giggle.

Gay? Because I have my nails done? How silly.

"Straight" people may think I'm Gay, because my nails are painted. But...
Gay people think I'm straight, because my nails are done. Go figure.

Most Gay men don't like "girly-men", but I did have one say, "Hi Girl", over the weekend, of course I was wearing a dress at the time, giggle.

And, if anyone asks me why my nails are done, I tell them the truth......."because I like my nails this way, I think it's pretty."

Mistress Frillee
06-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I think some of you misunderstand. I am not going to stop! I am very happy with who I am! Thats why I made a point of showing my sister in law & mom. I knew I was going to get negative feedback, but I wanted them to see it before freaking out in public, which they would do without hesitation!

I am making observations about some of the negative feedback you could get from those around you.

JoAnnDallas
06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
My wife has no problem with me getting a pedicure and manicure. She is even OK with me having acylic nails. I did have bad problems with my nails until I got my first acylic set. Now my wife sees how nice they are and even lets me grow them out some. She also knows I have polish put on my toes and is OK with that too. At first she was a little worried and asked me to always wear socks when I wore my sandels. Then the last time I went to the Nail Salon, she said, "Your just going over and back to the salon, so you don't really have to wear your socks, if you don't want to". So I went without socks and my toe nail polish showing.
I have never had any of the techs in the salon think I was GAY. My wife has gone with me a few times, so they know her and ask about her when I go alone. As for customers, some may have thought I was GAY, but I don't really care as long as they are polite to me. LOL Many of the customers that I have enteracted with, see no problem with a man wanting to have a pedicure and manicure, even toe nail polish. Now I want to find a PINK nail polish that is pale enough that I can wear on my hands.

Andi
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi JoAnn, I think you may like this flavor. I like Sally Hansen Diamond Strength #34 "Sweetheart". It's fairly subtle but can see it if you stare.

Jamie001
06-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I think that you may want to ask your mom and sister a few questions and also determine if your mom and sister do any other following:

1. Wear "menswear" type of clothing. This includes male shoes, baseball caps and anything else that could be typically considered masculine.

2. How is nail polish any different than a tattoo? It is simply a form a self-expression. Why should men not be allowed self expression thought color?

I have received nothing but very positive comments regarding my painted toenails with little flowers on them. It is a great conversation starter with women and they love it that I have really nice nails. They think that it is really great that a guy has the courage to be different.

It really sounds like you mom and your sister are really very narrow-minded and that you should have a very serious conversation with them about accepting you for the person that you are. If I was in your situation and they continued to be narrow-minded with "gay comments", I would stop associating with them for a while until they have time to evaluate their attitude. It is really totally "uncalled for" and disrespectful... :mad:

It turns-out that your mother and sister are very narrow-minded and that most folks will give you very positive comments on your nails.

There are also many guys that are wearing nail polish like Dave Navarro, Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) Chuck Liddel (Ultimate Fight Karate Champion wears bright pink polish on his toes), one of the stars of the TV show "Lost" recently discussed his wearing of nail polish on the Jay Leno Show, David Beckham and there are many others...

I think some of you misunderstand. I am not going to stop! I am very happy with who I am! Thats why I made a point of showing my sister in law & mom. I knew I was going to get negative feedback, but I wanted them to see it before freaking out in public, which they would do without hesitation!

I am making observations about some of the negative feedback you could get from those around you.

Jamie001
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
JoAnn,

If anyone ever asks me if I am gay, I would simply tell them the following:

"Of course I am GAY, just like all men that wear two earrings, all men that color their hair, all women that wear neck-ties, masculine shoes, baseball caps or other menswear". Isn't it obvious that I am GAY?... hehehehhehehehehe ...:2c:

My wife has no problem with me getting a pedicure and manicure. She is even OK with me having acylic nails. I did have bad problems with my nails until I got my first acylic set. Now my wife sees how nice they are and even lets me grow them out some. She also knows I have polish put on my toes and is OK with that too. At first she was a little worried and asked me to always wear socks when I wore my sandels. Then the last time I went to the Nail Salon, she said, "Your just going over and back to the salon, so you don't really have to wear your socks, if you don't want to". So I went without socks and my toe nail polish showing.
I have never had any of the techs in the salon think I was GAY. My wife has gone with me a few times, so they know her and ask about her when I go alone. As for customers, some may have thought I was GAY, but I don't really care as long as they are polite to me. LOL Many of the customers that I have enteracted with, see no problem with a man wanting to have a pedicure and manicure, even toe nail polish. Now I want to find a PINK nail polish that is pale enough that I can wear on my hands.

gennee
06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
I paint my own toenails but I would love to get a pedicure, manicure, the whole works. :D

Gennee

sandra-leigh
06-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Now I want to find a PINK nail polish that is pale enough that I can wear on my hands.

OPI "Coney Island Cotton Candy", if you can still find it (seems to have been discontinued.) It's one of their "Neutrals and Sheers" series. Even four coats barely shows.
Jenna561 wasn't able to find Cotton Candy, but found OPI's Sweet Memories, part of their Soft Shades series... which also appears to have been discontinued. She said 3 coats of the Sweet Memories were enough to make her nails noticably pink; I deduce that a single coat was fairly unobtrusive.

Maybe I should stock up on the Cotton Candy while I still can!

Brianna Lovely
06-12-2007, 02:28 PM
OPI pinks
http://www.opi.com/Classics/Classics.asp?LcolorType=Pink&id=221

Frankie-Dear
06-12-2007, 05:16 PM
I hate the whole fascination with slapping labels on people, anyway. Surely, this need to label and pigeonhole everyone, is a sign of a small, narrow, and lazy intellect. Screw the status quo! :mad:

I'm married to a Japanese woman. I've encountered plenty of racism in Japan for it, but not so much, in the United States. When we get glared at, or people look at me, and then look her up and down, it used to piss me off, but just like anything else: It's MY life! It's YOUR life! These things are parts of OUR lives. Not theirs, and if THEY have issues with things like pedicures, manicures, or interracial marriages, the problem is clearly THEIRS, and it doesn't become MY problem or YOUR problem, or OUR problem, without our consent, and I'm certainly not going to pin my happiness on things outside of myself. That's like marking the side of the boat to remember where I was fishing, and THAT'S idiotic in the extreme!

Rock on wit' yo' bad self, Gurl!!! :thumbsup: Respect.... :)

JoAnnDallas
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
tess-leigh and AndiGirl..........thank you both for the polish suggestions. I'll have to stop at the local drug store on my way home and see it they carry either.

Jamie001.....It does not bother me, if a customer in the salon thinks I'm gay. All of the tech knows I'm not and that's all I care about. If you really think about it, most of us ARE GAY, since we love women, most of us are married, and we still love women and our wifes even if we are fully dressed up. SO I guess in a sense that makes us "Lesbians". :D

Frankie-Dear
06-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Another thought on sexuality and orientation: Too many people seem to think that it's like an on/off switch. You're either gay or straight.

For most people, I guess that's probably true, but to me, rather than an on/off switch, I think sexuality is more like a slider knob, and that most people are anywhere on the dial, at a given point in their lives. Granted, most people remain to one side or the other of center, but it's not as cut and dry as the media and society and religions would have us believe. :2c:

Jamie001
06-13-2007, 10:41 AM
HoAnn,

I agree with you. I also consider myself to be a Lesbian and therefore I must be gay. :hugs:

tess-leigh and AndiGirl..........thank you both for the polish suggestions. I'll have to stop at the local drug store on my way home and see it they carry either.

Jamie001.....It does not bother me, if a customer in the salon thinks I'm gay. All of the tech knows I'm not and that's all I care about. If you really think about it, most of us ARE GAY, since we love women, most of us are married, and we still love women and our wifes even if we are fully dressed up. SO I guess in a sense that makes us "Lesbians". :D

susie evans
06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
we can label any thing are any body put it usualy not correct our accurate it's just human nature :2c:

susie

Kelsy
06-13-2007, 05:47 PM
90% of America thinks if you like to dress in women's clothes then you must be gay!! but that is being ignorant of the facts. but so be it. 80% of America has learned that you musn't be homopobic, so go with the flow and when you have opportunity to educate , do so!! I can't wait for my next pedi, it feels so good and the result looks so pretty!!!:happy:

Jennifer:happy:

Country girl
06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I know a lot of men who get pedis. I think it is the polish that gets the attention, not the pedi itself. Although I don't agree that you should be labeled as "gay" people are ignorant and that's the end result. I say more power to you and you go. More men should take care of themselves and get pedicures. You're right. Women like a man who has feet that are clean and not all caloused and nasty. :hugs:CG GG

Alex!
06-13-2007, 09:56 PM
No offense, but I would never get my nails done. I guess I think of that sort of thing as feminine, at least in Western cultures, and since I'm a guy that just would not do (crossdressing and gluing nails on is different, since I can take all that off). Shaving is the most extreme thing I do, and even then I wish I could have all my hair back the instant I finish a crossdressing session.

I think it's a stereotype to label a man gay if he is well groomed, no question about it. That's unfortunate. On the other hand, simply trimming nails and washing oneself is sufficient. A nice wardrobe is necessary as well, but one doesn't have to spend a huge amount to look good.

Even though I crossdress from time to time, I do not want to come off as girly when in guy mode - that would really bug me (though it would never happen anyway). For this reason I do not get nails done or wear women's clothes under my guy clothes or whatever. My crossdressing is a secret, of course. But also when I stick Andrea back in the box, her physical manifestation is totally gone. She only exists in my head and in pictures after that.

Frankie - I think you are quite right about sexual orientation. I would take it a step further and propose that gender is also a sliding dial. I like to think that my brain is full of girl particles that mostly stay dispersed but occasionally gather together to start trouble (my crossdressing is an outlet for these girl particles to express themselves, I guess). I think most people are like this - female and male mental traits, usually with one or the other dominating but not always. Indeed, some identify as asexual - no interest in sex and no particular gender identification. I think that is particularly interesting - since I am a guy, sex is on my mind often. It would be cool sometimes to turn that off :)

prettywithsideburns
06-13-2007, 10:07 PM
your mom and sister are hypocrites. oh sure, it's okay for women to "throw their money away" on pedicures, but heaven forbid a man do it! if you bought a television that was a mere two inches bigger than the old one they wouldn't yell at you for "throwing your money away". and that would have cost alot more!

mona lisa
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
...to tell that to Ultimate Fighting Champion Chuck Lidell. There was an ESPN Magazine article I read at Barnes and Noble about him where he talked about it. I found the same story when doing a quick google search:

"The Baddest Man on the Planet Paints his Toenails Pink" (http://www.mmaplayground.com/discussion/topic/baddest-man-planet-paints-toenails-pink-5010p1.html)

I would love to see those people tell Chuck Lidell to his face that he must be gay :D

Frankie-Dear
06-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I waxed my hairy forearms, this evening. Hurt like the very fires of HELL!! (but man... It feels sooooo good, now!!) Why didn't I do this years ago?? And now... I'm thinking about getting a pedicure. LOL

Andrea, it feels odd to hear you speak about being a guy, because damn... You are one FINE woman!!!

*chuckling ruefully...* What an odd and interesting bunch, we are! :heehee: I love it!!

prettywithsideburns
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
...to tell that to Ultimate Fighting Champion Chuck Lidell. There was an ESPN Magazine article I read at Barnes and Noble about him where he talked about it. I found the same story when doing a quick google search:

"The Baddest Man on the Planet Paints his Toenails Pink" (http://www.mmaplayground.com/discussion/topic/baddest-man-planet-paints-toenails-pink-5010p1.html)

I would love to see those people tell Chuck Lidell to his face that he must be gay :D

wait, are you saying an ultimate fighting champ can't be gay, or that a gay man can't be the ultimate fighting champ?

Alex!
06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Frankie - Ha! Thanks for the compliment. And I agree, we are an odd bunch. But oddness is essential for survival of the species. I truly believe that :)

Mistybtm
06-14-2007, 12:11 AM
tell your sister-inlaw where to go and respectfuly tell your mom it is your life not her's.
:2c:

P.S. Tell them you got a date with the french girl LOL

Jamie001
06-14-2007, 01:17 AM
I would also tell them that they were very disrespectful to you and that when they are ready to apologize and retract their irrational statements that you will talk to them again. Otherwise I would avoid them because they certainly do not have your well-being in mind. :2c:

tell your sister-inlaw where to go and respectfuly tell your mom it is your life not her's.
:2c:

P.S. Tell them you got a date with the french girl LOL

Mistress Frillee
06-14-2007, 07:34 AM

Oh BOY! THANK YOU VERY much for that link! LOL........ emailing it to my mom & sister in law!

mona lisa
06-15-2007, 01:42 AM
wait, are you saying an ultimate fighting champ can't be gay, or that a gay man can't be the ultimate fighting champ?

I am saying that Chuck Lidell is not and he would probably not take kindly to someone saying he was on account of his toenail painting.