PDA

View Full Version : Chicken

gmss
06-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Quick story:

So I'm in the grocery store getting a few vegetables, and I think "hey this might be a great place to pick up a few 'extras' ". So, for the first time, I purchase some pink nail polish for myself.

Passing my purchases through the scanner, the cute latina clerk said to me "ooh, that's a nice color".

My instinctive response was "I hope it's the right color [for wife...]"

:doh: Missed a great chance at idle chit chat with a cute clerk, as well as chickening out with the agenda of some simple nail polish.

Dang. :(

MJ
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
well all go through that at one time. the good news is we get better and bolder as time goes on until one day there is nothing you can't do or say

Joy Carter
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I get that allot. I just smile mostly.:D

Deanna2
06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I do that sort of thing quite a lot, whether it is nail polish, pantyhose, lipstick or whatever. Never been commented on and never had to up 'something' on the spot. I guess being left-handed and wearing a wedding ring helps.

Alice B
06-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Same with me. Purchase everything I need from local drug store and have never had even a strange glance, even from males taking my cash. Also have ring on.:happy:

Stephenie S
06-12-2007, 08:39 PM
As you get more comfy with this sort of thing you will realize you don't have to come up with an "excuse" for buying nail polish. You have every right to buy nail polish, shoe polish, or floor polish without an explanation to anyone.

Next time just agree. "Yes it is, isn't it?" That's all she was looking for. Just a friendly exchange of pleasantries. Also, a big smile works well when you can't find the right words quickly. Women smile at each other and at men. Try it.

You are going to use the same technique when you buy your first bra and undie set. The clerk is gonna say, "Oh, these are nice. Are they for your wife?" And you are going to give her a nice smile and say simply, "No." Not only do people not need a complex explanation for your actions, they don't want one either.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Karren H
06-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Most of the clerks at Wallgreens accross from work know I buy a lot of fem products and they are always remarking "Ohhh that's not your color at all". Or "you going blonde for the summer".. Lol.. I usuly just say that it is my favorite color.. Once the SA said you want a bag for your nail polish? . "Why no, I'm putting it on when I get in the car". She.thought that was a hoot..

As many pairs of thigh highs as I buy there if they don't know they are for me....

Karren

susie evans
06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
if some one comes up witha negative comment about color are something i ask what they would recomend :heehee:

susie

Mitzi
06-13-2007, 12:57 AM
When I first started going out, I used to wear false lashes. Once when buying a pair en drab, the young girl cashier giggled something like...those won't fit you...

This post from a while back fits this thread too...

Mitzi

Fab Karen
06-13-2007, 05:03 AM
The clerk is gonna say, "Oh, these are nice. Are they for your wife?" And you are going to give her a nice smile and say simply, "No." Not only do people not need a complex explanation for your actions, they don't want one either.

Shopping in boy-mode, I've never had a salesperson ask "are these for your wife/girlfriend?"

chucks
06-13-2007, 12:13 PM
lol, one of the first few times i was buying clothes the clerk asked if it was for someone special. i kind of smirked and said "sort of" or something. which probably made no sense.

gmss
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Non unlike androgony, ambiguity can be a good thing.

It was kind of a weird experience in that it was almost like she could read my mind and wanted to flirt a bit.

Think about it, really, I'm sure there are plenty of husbands who purchase these little things for their spouses every day. Nail polish? No way she should have thought or assumed that I got if for myself... and yet I sensed this "vibe". Haven't sensed a vibe like that in a long long time...

And I recall reaching out to collect the change with my left hand, wedding band very visible, since it's a little wider than most.

In any event, it was a very small thing. I honestly didn't feel nervous, strange or even uncomfortable. I was cool as a cucumber.

I agree that the more you do something new, the more relaxed you get and the less of a deal it is, at all.

Still; I'm a novice at this, and I'm finding and each little experience to be a very cool change in my persona.

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

JoAnnDallas
06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I remember when I would do the same exact thing. Now I will even tell the clerck that it is for myself. In time you too will look back and laugh at some of the things you did when buying fem items in drab. It is only natural to say it's for someone else.

trannie T
06-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Once a store clerk has made a comment on my purchase I feel that I can respond. I make no secret to them regarding my crossdressing, usually they are caught a bit off guard but still friendly.

Cristi
06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
I've found that there are plenty of times that somebody will give you a chance to open up and tell the truth, but usually when it happens it takes me off guard and I instantly reach for the 'safe' answer.

Several years ago (before I started going out more regularly and only went out dressed on Halloween) I was shopping on Halloween while fully dressed. I picked up a handbag at a department store and was checking out. It was before I knew much about makeup, so there was no doubt at all about if I was 'passing' or not! The girl at the register was kind of 'goth' looking (but not 'in costume'). Multiple piercings, black nail polish, dark makeup...

As she was ringing up the purchase, she said something to the effect of 'I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you dressed for Halloween, or do you always dress like this?'

I jumped for the easy answer and told her it was just a costume. As soon as I said it, I realized what I SHOULD have said was more along the lines of "Somewhere in the middle. I don't dress like this every day, I just wish I could".

Lovely Rita
06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
You did fine. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice....Practice...Practice. Keep your eyes on what you did accomplish. You bought yourself a girley item you wanted.

Kuddos to you

Kristen Marie
06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Recognizing that you could have said something is huge. Next time you will.

Sometimes you might even initiate the conversation if the clerk has great nails. Say something like, I love that color, where did you get it? Then respond by, I'll have to try it. I am still amazed at how well a little pre-chatter helps calm the purchasing jitters.

tracie674
06-14-2007, 10:55 PM
I once bought some eye shadow at a walgreens in drab and the clerk said "that color matches your eyes" I replyed "now I have to fnd matching lipstick". I think I caught her off gard, she just rang up my purchase and I was on my way.