PDA

View Full Version : Local 4th grader changed gender

StephanieCD
03-05-2005, 09:19 AM
I saw on the news last night that a 4th grade girl was now coming to school as a boy! He was either born with a defective genetalia problem or gender dysphoria, I'm not sure which - they were very 'sensitive' on the newscast.

Anyway - the parents wrote letters to the other parents informing them and told them that their reaction would dictate their SON'S social acceptance or denial as a boy. They pointed out that at such an early age children are often confused about gender roles anyway and the only way to handle something like this was with direct acknowledgement and acceptance. They had the child's doctor on and everything - it was cool. So, an entire school has been informed and asked to be accepting of someone with a gender identity issue - and they're doing very well, I might add!

Good for him.

Wendy me
03-05-2005, 09:21 AM
yes i saw that on the news .............and the school is going along with it.........intersting....

Holly
03-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Perhaps there is hope through our youth.

Stacy3595
03-05-2005, 11:26 AM
I mean if this GTM was an MTF it would be on the cover of every magazine from here to Hong Kong... I wish this girl the best of luck in being a boy, i just wish all the MTFs were that lucky too.

xXxXxX - Stacy. :rolleyes:

StephanieCD
03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I was very impressed by the willingness of the community to educate their children...

Tristen Cox
03-06-2005, 04:00 AM
Never seems to be an issue for girls to look like boys even when they do make a big deal about it. Now try reversing it and getting the same 'acceptance'. When is that day going to come?

StephanieCD
03-06-2005, 10:45 AM
*sigh*

Stephanie Brooks
03-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Never seems to be an issue for girls to look like boys even when they do make a big deal about it. Now try reversing it and getting the same 'acceptance'. When is that day going to come?
It may be coming sooner than later. At the TGEA meeting, I learned they do a lot of outreach to local colleges and organizations. Apparently they've had much positive reaction.

It really is up to us. Society isn't going to open the door to us, we need to open the door ourselves. How we act in society will affect society's opinion - and thus acceptance - of us. Generally I don't care about others' opinion, but in this case I've a vested (transvested?!) interest in society's view of us.

Dian
03-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Perhaps there is hope through our youth.

I agree, I believe the hope for acceptance, to be who you are, not who society dictates you should be, will begin with our youth. We all have our special gifts to share with the world, It's a shame we have to hide such a special part of what makes us who we are. :(