PDA

View Full Version : Person of interest observed today

sandra-leigh
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Today on the way to work, I noticed a construction worker (directing a cement truck), wearing typical construction worker garb. The short hair that I could see under the baseball hat was a distinctly unnatural reddish-orange, so I went, "Mmmm, is that a guy or a gal?". They turned edgewise to me and I could see moderate silver hoop earrings (not mere studs!). A few seconds later, I could see the front view -- decidedly male, and wearing a couple of silver chains (not "bling"). Somehow, the overall effect did not suggest "gay" -- the style wasn't quite right for that.

Now, I did not get the impression that the guy was a crossdresser (but who knows :) ). The point is that he was a "manly" looking guy in a traditionally "tough" business, and yet could style himself as he chose, just going about his job with no obvious signs of friction from the work crew. Could be that he gets some ribbing sometimes, but evidently not more than he could live with.

Sometimes we worry to much about what other people will think about our appearance.

prettywithsideburns
06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I watched an episode of the show "Dirty Jobs" on the discovery channel, and the host noticed that this guy pouring concrete was wearing a thong (cause it was peeking out the back of his pants). he asked about it and it turns out that this was some sort of construction worker hazing ritual (or a the guy lost a bet, I forget which).

anyway, apparently construction workers haze eachother alot, so that might be what's going on there. I don't know, I'm not a construction worker.

TracyH
06-13-2007, 10:09 PM
"I lost a bet" is just about the oldest excuse for crossdressing in the book. "It's a hazing ritual" is just a variant on that. However, having worked in the construction field, I know that the proper response to someone critiquing your underwear is, "I'll wear whatever underwear I want. You got a problem with that?" Also, it is customary to offer your interrogator a "knuckle sandwich" if it feels appropriate.

sandra-leigh
06-13-2007, 10:09 PM
anyway, apparently construction workers haze eachother alot, so that might be what's going on there.

Hmmm. It seems unlikely to me that the hazing of construction workers would extend as far as getting ears pierced and putting in hoop earrings. But it is plausible that the fellow had peirced ears already and bumped studs up to hoops as part of a joke or dare. On the other hand, the hoop earrings matched the design of the chains (that is, same silver, and they had hoop rings about the same size incorperated in them), so at least at the time it did seem to me that it was entirely the guy's choice.

prettywithsideburns
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
"I lost a bet" is just about the oldest excuse for crossdressing in the book. "It's a hazing ritual" is just a variant on that.

I wore a hardhat and plaid shirt over a white tank top with meatball sandwich stains on it once, but that was just a hazing ritual. no wait, I lost a bet. yeah, that's it...

Alice B
06-13-2007, 10:17 PM
You would be amazed at how many men in construction and related fields wear earrings (often hoops or dangeling), have long hair that match their beards.:heehee:

sandra-leigh
06-13-2007, 10:22 PM
You would be amazed at how many men in construction and related fields wear earrings (often hoops or dangeling)

Would you say that it's sort of like the pirate effect, that it's part of the culture? Sailors and tatoos, construction workers and earrings?

TracyH
06-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, working in construction, its always been a pretty motley crew with varied backgrounds. There's absolutely no telling why people do what they do without asking them first.

And yes, you will be offered a "knuckle sandwich" if you're not good friends with someone before asking them about their earrings or thongs.

Frankie-Dear
06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
"I don't like to talk about my flare." (Office Space) LOL