PDA

View Full Version : Some CD's are Damaging Us

Jamie001
06-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Did anyone catch the TV show "America's Got Talent" several nights ago? There were several CDs that were absoultely terrible. If hollywood keeps perpetuating this image, CDs will never be acceptable to society. It was really sad. :(

Satrana
06-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Why? what did they do to damage us? What standards do you propose all crossdressers live up to?

Leah B
06-15-2007, 05:33 AM
I don't think it's they that damaged us so much as the network did. Yeah, some of these CDs were horribly untalented (par for the course on this style of reality show), but they threw em all together in a big block of suckiness. I was praying for an American equivalent of the Kit Kat Dolls to save the day in the end, but alas, I guess no CD that competed here were worth a pass...

prettywithsideburns
06-15-2007, 05:35 AM
let's not engage in rooting out "impurity" in our ranks. that never ends well.

not to mention that it leaves us more vulnerable to our detractors.

Fab Karen
06-15-2007, 05:50 AM
It's the modern rework of "the Gong Show" what do you expect to see on it?

battybattybats
06-15-2007, 05:51 AM
Maybe those stateside might want to consider writing in and complaining about the 'clear singling out of a minority group for the purpose of mockery!'

Kate Simmons
06-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Didn't see it but then again I refuse to watch such nonsense to begin with. Guess it's okay if you want a good laugh. Like it was said, what did you expect? Not a positive image, I hope? You know TV networks, they go after sensationalism and shock value. Anyway, I know who I am and don't equate myself with such absurdity.:happy:

Marla S
06-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Did anyone catch the TV show "America's Got Talent" several nights ago? There were several CDs that were absoultely terrible. If hollywood keeps perpetuating this image, CDs will never be acceptable to society. It was really sad. :(

There are a bunch of shows where people make themselves a fool (half of the TV nation lives from those people).
Why shouldn't there be some CDs that have the same desire.

Problem might be that, for the balance, you see other people too on TV, but one predominately sees extroverted CDs on TV.

Hence we shouldn't blame the extroverted CDs, but ourselve not having the guts to balance things out.

MsJanessa
06-15-2007, 06:47 AM
you can NEVER, I repeat, NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the american viewing public---we will watch anything. The only people dumber are the network weanies who dream up this tripe for us to view.

Frankie-Dear
06-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I pulled the plug on the TV two years ago, and I've been happier for it. :)

Marla S
06-15-2007, 07:12 AM
The only people dumber are the network weanies who dream up this tripe for us to view.
Thanks a lot guys !!!
Probably 80 % of the junk shows here are 1:1 copies or are at least inspired by US TV-shows. People are eager to watch them and to believe them :Angry3:

Karren H
06-15-2007, 07:29 AM
That is got to be one of the dumbest statements I've heard.. Its like "Some of those other humans are makeing us look bad". Lol..

And anyone that goes on those idiotic TV shows is just that.. Almost as bad as anyone that watches them I guess.. Hehe

Maybe I'll dress up like a grapefruit and go spit seeds.. Lol

Karren

Stlalice
06-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Years back when I quit watching network TV programing it was said to be pitched at folks with a roughly 8th grade education (middle school). Sadly, as this and other examples show even that low standard has slipped somewhat. I still watch news and the odd documentary but even those don't really measure up to a decent standard. Truth is, all TV programing is a vehicle for advertising and the only way to get an improvement in that programing is to not buy or use the advertised products that support programing you find objectionable. And let the station/network/advertisers know it. Will that make a difference? Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath waiting. :2c:

MJ
06-15-2007, 07:52 AM
"America's Got Talent no i did not see it ... it may end up on you tube

Hence we shouldn't blame the extroverted CDs, but ourselves not having the guts to balance things out.

but then again they had the guts to not only go out but be on television and show themselves to the world

Dixie
06-15-2007, 09:03 AM
How can we take on the world when we are too busy fighting amongst ourselves, get over it and live and let live. I don't gauge myself, my hobbies, or lifestyle choices by what is on TV, I prefer real reality, NOT reality TV.:tongueout

JoAnnDallas
06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Hummm, I look at it this way. A few years ago, they would not have even let those CDer's even apply. Their application would have been rejected. At least now they are allowed to try out even if most of them are bad. Then too I bet 80% of thoe that tryed out were bad too. At least they were bold enough to try and IMHO that's good for us overall. The more of us that get out into the mainstream the more the general population will start to notice that we are not just a few freaks running around. The more we are out there, the easier it is for the general population to adjust to us, until the time comes and someone sees one of us and it is no longer shocking to them and we just become part of the scenry. No more shocking than walking down the sidewalk and seeing a guy with Blue spike hair and peircings walk past you.

Tamara Croft
06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Americas' got talent - isn't that an oxymoron??

:hiding:

Stop watching the rubbish then if it upsets you so much... I don't think they are doing any harm, it's just a crappy tv show.....

Mona
06-15-2007, 10:17 AM
The sad bit is they are running that show and removing Studio 60!

Cristi
06-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Almost, but as far as television is concerned I think 'America's got taste' would be more accurate. :(

The show being discussed is on a LONG list of shows that I wouldn't watch if you tied me up in front of the TV and pried my eyes open... (The list includes all 'reality' shows, game shows, talent shows and all the variations of "Who wants to *** a ***" type shows).

Sharon
06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't watch the program, so I can't speak directly to the crossdressers who appeared on it. But I am bold enough to make the assumption that they themselves chose to be on the show, talent or no talent. Were they there as caricatures of how much of the public perceives crossdressers -- you know, big hair, garish makeup, mile-high platforms, and outrageous over-the-top behavior? Was their act just being a cartoon-like person? If so, blame them, not the producers or networks, who just want to make as entertaining a program as they can.

Anyway, as much as some of these people make me wince, it's live and let live. It is up to me, and all of you, to show the world that some of us are just normal people, who are attempting to live our lives without ridicule, misconceptions, or prejudice.

susie evans
06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
don't watch T V much as it takes away from my girly time are shopping time when your an older girl some of us require more work than when we were young :heehee:

susie

RobertaFermina
06-15-2007, 11:39 AM
We are all "Reality TVs" if you take a look :eek:, "Reality CDs" if you stop and listen.... :notlistening:

So for those of us who can and dare, :w00t: let's go out and be seen and heard.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Kerrie Sifton
06-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I dont believe that the use of cd's who are just beginning to perfect their look will seriously damage the cd "movement" is it stands today. Presently I am seeing more and more articles about cd's, people who are affecting change or willing to "out" themselves. and much of it in a more positive light. A recent Tyra Banks show was quite positive, and a top model type show I caught a glimpse of in the last day or two had a very feminine male, in heels and chiffon, instructing the girls on makeup and modelling,
There is also a japanese show, seen on Utube, where they turn guys into fabulous looking girls. Change is a comin'!

Dasein9
06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
The sad bit is they are running that show and removing Studio 60!

Oh, I know! :mad: Harumph! Now, that was a good show.

They do seem to cancel the programmes I like the most. Remember My So-Called Life? Or Picket Fences?

racquel
06-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I saw the show and was not concerned with the effect the "gurl's" may produce in "mainstream" America.I look at it as a positive whenever a cross-dresser is portrayed.:thumbsup:
Imho they were not bad.

Kieron Andrew
06-15-2007, 04:39 PM

:hiding:....

BIG oxymoron.......:hiding:

Kelsy
06-16-2007, 07:33 AM
I rarely watch TV - 90% of it is mindless crap!

Jennifer:happy:

stormrider
06-16-2007, 08:07 AM
you can NEVER, I repeat, NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the american viewing public---we will watch anything. The only people dumber are the network weanies who dream up this tripe for us to view.

Hey Janessa, I used to think the same way until I realized that these network weanies make millions on dreaming up this tripe. Our millions because we don't get paid one red cent for watching it, dear. My television time now consists mostly of MPBN, "Nature", "NOVA", "Mainewatch", "Nightly Business Report", etc. Hey it beats the crap out of reality make a fool of yourself TV(no pun intended).

Michelle

crusadergirl
06-18-2007, 02:21 AM
I haven't seen the show i don't really watch much TV i work to much. I don't think other cds make us look bad ppl are going to think whatever they want about us no matter what. Live and let die

Alice Torn
06-18-2007, 02:12 PM
On dancing with the stars, they had a spoof, with Jimmie Kinnel, having a Mexican crossdresser partner, with no wig!

angelfire
06-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I caught a part of that section, although I don't really even watch TV.

I recall 1 singing very poorly, and another who was a comedian. The comedian was actually kind of funny, from what little I saw.

I didn't realy care one way or the other.

OldMom
06-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Yes, things that are uncommon tend to be sensationalized. Unfortunately the only way our minds become broader is by experience. Reality. Like someone else said, not Reality TV.

This is kind of off subject but someone on this thread mentioned "normal". I have to share that I went to a book signing event on Friday by the author Jonathan Mooney. He was a kid with ADHD and dyslexia who didn't learn to read till he was 12. Then, less than a decade later, he graduated from Brown University, with honors. He majored in English Literature! His new book is called "The Short Bus" and talks about being different and stigmatized. He advocates using our gifts that come with "differentness, or disabilities as sometimes they are called". I took a peak at the book and briefly saw that he had a character named "cookie" in the book who was a cross dresser". I can't wait to read more of it. One of the the things he often says is "normal people suck". It's what he wrote in the book cover even. I hope we can all learn to celebrate being different. It is so nice to have a place to go where you are accepted. Please know how amazing and wonderful each of you are. Love, OldMom

sterling12
06-18-2007, 08:35 PM
A lot of these "programmer-types," don't watch their own stuff either. I've met a few of them and they tend to be condescending toward what they believe are all "The Moron's," who watch the current crap.

They check all the ratings services and apparently, sensational garbage sells! They know this and they tend to be copy-cats, and "ape" all the most popular shows. That's how crap begets more crap, and why all the shows look alike!

They also know that anyone who is a little smarter, spends a lot more of their time with PBS or something similar. They don't want you! The commercials don't work near as well on people who are smarter than hamsters, and so they look for people who are more easily "influenced."

So although I didn't see this notorious incident, a "CD Extravaganza," doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't sweat the whole thing too much. A lot of the people who watch these things on a regular basis, aren't going to be influenced by Positive CD Images. They WANT to see us as characters on The Springer Show....it's very comforting for them. They can look at these images and feel superior.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Tina P Hose
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
If you really wanna' a TV show where some one makes a fool of themselves watch the the entire cast of Entertainment Tonite .

Cai
06-18-2007, 09:20 PM
But I have to agree with everyone above - sensation sells. They aren't going to make any money with fully passable girls who can't sing because everyone's seen girls who can't sing. But CD'ers who can't sing are something new and exciting (!!!) so it sells.

angelfire
06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
They WANT to see us as characters on The Springer Show....it's very comforting for them.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Jerry Springer was doing interviews and stuff backstage, and after 1 of the CDs came backstage after their performance, he said, "Well, theres always room on my show."

kirsti
06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
While I didnt watch it,there's only a few shows that I would even give a time of day,of course the 10 year run of Stargate series which is cancelled after this season,cries!
I try not to stereotype,but people being individuals are often easily classified by certain criteria,such as what stage they are at in life.
A CD'r that's finally learned whom they are enough to become comfortable to the point that theyr'e willing to go to be a CD'r,may be new to how to go about being what they want,outside as well as the inside.
As every step in life it is a progession one has to make to reach that point,I'm sure not one single girl in here would dissagree that their first attempts to live out theyr'e feelings wasn't to their expected perfection,but they strived forward,and through all those struggles still continue to be themselves.
And to better themselves.
I wouldnt waste my time on most T.V shows,these so called comedies never get a chuckle out of me,except for maybe "Men",now that's a funny show.:2c:

MsJoann
06-19-2007, 03:13 AM
The basis of any media is to gain advertising revenue.
Top dollar revenue is realized by that particular media's ability to gain good ratings.
Unfortunately, some media will stop at nothing to gain these ratings.
There is never a time when I see anything positive about transgender issues especially on television. How many of us have seen these shows that exploit and co-connect us with criminal activity? The tag-line usually begins with, "George by day....Gloria by Night"...stay tuned for the full story.
Most of the public of whom's lives are absorbed in television world will believe anything the media puts forth.
On many occasions I have seen things like this on the tube. Never have I seen the media associate us with anything in a positive light.

Fab Karen
06-19-2007, 03:32 AM

:hiding:

Someone is requesting time in the stock it seems.
We know, it's from the stress of dealing with that evil sheriff there.:happy:

On many occasions I have seen things like this on the tube. Never have I seen the media associate us with anything in a positive light.
Barbara Walters did an excellent piece on TG children on ABC's 20/20 show, how they should be loved & accepted for being themselves.

Kristen Kelly
06-19-2007, 03:52 AM
Hummm, I look at it this way. A few years ago, they would not have even let those CDer's even apply. Their application would have been rejected. At least now they are allowed to try out even if most of them are bad. Then too I bet 80% of thoe that tryed out were bad too. At least they were bold enough to try and IMHO that's good for us overall. The more of us that get out into the mainstream the more the general population will start to notice that we are not just a few freaks running around. The more we are out there, the easier it is for the general population to adjust to us, until the time comes and someone sees one of us and it is no longer shocking to them and we just become part of the scenry. No more shocking than walking down the sidewalk and seeing a guy with Blue spike hair and peircings walk past you.

My feelings exactly, exposure as long as it's not on the news showing CD criminals is ok in my eyes.

Vicky_Scot
06-19-2007, 06:30 AM
We have just had "Britains Got Talent" and we to had several TG girls acts.

One group called the Kit Kat Dolls got through to the semi-final then the * hit the fan.

Allegedly 3 of the Kit Kat Dolls are prostitutes. They were found out by an undercover reporter who was offered by one of the prostitutes their, um, what you say 'services' at £1000, just hours before they were due to appear on the live finals. They were then pulled from the show.

The Kit Kat Dolls.

We also had a guy pulled from the show as he was alledgedly a convicted sex offender.

Samantha B L
06-19-2007, 08:08 AM
The Kitkat Dolls sound like a fantastic idea. 95% of TV,both network and cable is just awful. I got cable TV in my apartment in 1983 and the novelty wore off eventually. I wouldn't do without cable TV because without it you've only got the network stations and they only show stuff that they think won't offend anybody. You know,I've been having the same problem with cable TV that I had with broadcast TV way back in the 70's. There are whole stretches of 3 and 4 hours with nothing on but crap! I like Oxygen but we don't get that in our local basic cable lineup around here. And I'm thinking about digital cable because you can't set up a sattelite dish in our part of the building. I've seen those audition shows like "America's Got Talent" and "American Idol". Just look on "You Tube Broadcast Yourself" and you'll find much better Rock and Roll Bands.