PDA

View Full Version : How to Be a Trans Ally

Rachel Morley
06-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I wondered if some of you might like to see this educational flyer that I helped to distribute at our local Sacramento Pride Festival this past weekend. It was written by my wife Marla. If anyone would like a copy of the file for their own outreach efforts, please PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send it to you in Word document format.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8207/transallieswht100pz2.jpg

How to Be a Trans Ally
Transgender (often shortened to “trans”) is a broad term that encompasses individuals whose gender identity and/or gender expression do not conform to conventional expectations for their biological sex. It can refer to a wide range of gender-variant identities, including transsexuals, crossdressers, and those who identify as third-gender, androgynous or genderqueer.

In recent years, the acronym LGBT has been coined to include transgender people under the lesbian, gay, and bisexual umbrella. In order to be an effective trans ally, it is important to learn about issues affecting trans people and ways that you can help to promote understanding, tolerance and respect for those who make up the “T” in LGBT.

Don’t assume you can tell someone’s gender by looking.
Be aware that a person’s gender identity may not match his or her appearance. If you don’t know whether to call someone “he” or “she,” ask the person. Then use the correct pronouns and guide others to use them also.

Don’t make assumptions about a transgender person’s sexual orientation.
Gender identity is not the same as sexual orientation. Sexual orientation describes who a person is attracted to; gender identity describes a person’s internal sense of which gender they are and how they wish to be perceived by others. Trans people may identify as gay, straight, bisexual, or some other orientation.

Don’t ask a transgender person whether he or she has had surgery, or plans to have surgery. This is a very personal question and is always inappropriate. Some trans people never take hormones or have surgery, but still wish to be recognized as their gender of choice. Similarly, don’t ask a trans person how he or she has sex. Think about it – would you like to be asked that question?

Respect the confidentiality of any transgender person who is “out” to you. Trans people can lose their jobs, their families, and even their lives if their trans status is revealed without their consent. Even if you think that the person is “out” to everyone, ask just to make sure.

Don’t tolerate trans-phobic comments or jokes. Speak up and say that you find that kind of talk unacceptable. If you hear offensive humor or hate speech in the media, write to let the network know that you don’t condone it.

Report bullying or harassment to the proper authorities. Transgender people are frequent targets of violence. You can make our schools, workplaces, and public spaces safer for gender-variant people by calling attention to any acts of verbal or physical assault that you witness.

Support the right of transgender people to use the public restrooms of their choice. Everyone should have access to public restrooms that are appropriate for their gender presentation. Be tolerant of transgender people using “your” restroom, and help to ensure their safety. Be an advocate for providing unisex bathroom facilities in public buildings, restaurants, schools, and businesses.

Educate yourself. Follow transgender news stories, read books that deal with trans themes, and watch films that accurately portray trans experiences. Talk to trans people in your community – they are the best source of information about the issues that are important to them.

Help to educate others. Inform your friends and colleagues about ways they can show support for transgender people. If transgender issues are not currently included in your company’s diversity training, suggest that they be added. Seek to have gender expression included in campus and workplace non-discrimination policies.

Examine your own assumptions. Challenge yourself to move beyond conventional stereotypes about women and men. Be open-minded and flexible in your beliefs about gender identity and gender roles.

Take steps to make your group or organization more inclusive. Be proactive about creating an environment where trans people feel welcome and where trans voices are valued. Encourage dialogue about the unique concerns of transgender individuals, as well as the common ground that trans people share with their GLB allies.

We’re in this together! Unity begins with “U.”

© 2007. Developed by Marla Morley. Some material adapted from “Action Steps for Being a Trans Ally” by Samuel Lurie.

DawnL
06-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't know what else to say. Wonderfully done. Thank you!

KarenMichelleLuv
06-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Well done!

Kelly,R
06-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Very well writen,my congrat's to you Rachel:hugs:

windycissy
06-19-2007, 02:14 AM
I wouldn't change a word of it, and this is from someone who writes for a living. Kudos to Marla!

GypsyKaren
06-19-2007, 02:33 AM
I agree, it's very well done, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

Karen Starlene

Stephenie S
06-19-2007, 04:57 AM
I would love to have a copy. May I use it?

Stephenie