PDA

View Full Version : Eonist, Berdache

valerie_vanesse
06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I have found these two tems to further identify us. I get tired of CD, TV, Tranny, Crossdresser, etc. I think Eonist is a bit more stately.:2c:

Marla S
06-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Hmmmm ?
I don't know what Eonist means, but Berdache doesn't fit for me: I have only one spirit.

I have a ratio and a psyche. Both have fun in fighting each others once in a while, which is annoying, but not two spirited.

I stick to men and women as contemporary labels.

EDIT: Thought about it. Because the label Berdche has a cultural background and wasn't invented by psychologists or the community to contradict them, it lacks the "charm of disorder". So it could be beneficial for us in the perception of the society. But than ... we are there when no label is needed.

KandisTX
06-20-2007, 02:57 PM
~giggles~ Berdache used to be my IRC chat room handle. Been a few years (almost 10) since I have used it there though.

Kandis:love:

Karren H
06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I stick to calling myself Karren, thanks...

Not CD-karren, or sexy-karren..... or Karren-TV.... Karren-want-a-be....... Karren-cutiepie-pluss-some.... Yo-mama-Karren....

Just plain ole Karren

:tongueout

Karren

susie evans
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
i'am with karren my name susie will do just fine:hugs: susie

Angie G
06-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm with Karren & Susie just call me Angie :hugs:
Angie

Gaby
06-20-2007, 08:29 PM
However, just informational...

Eonist comes from Chevalier d'Eon, who was a French diplomatic back in the 1700's.

Here is the biography...

Chevalier d'Eon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_d'Eon)

He lived part of his life as a woman, so that's why crossdressing is also described as Eonism. (So I think!)

Gaby

trannie T
06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with "crossdresser," most everyone knows what the word means. If you were to describe yourself as an eonist the probable response would be "What's that?" You would then have to reply, "You know, a crossdresser."

Sheri 4242
06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Eonist comes from Chevalier d'Eon, who was a French diplomatic back in the 1700's. He lived part of his life as a woman, so that's why crossdressing is also described as Eonism. (So I think!) Gaby

Gaby, you are on the right track about this.

"Eonism" was coined as a term for "transgender behaviors" (important note: this is plural; it covered a spectrum of behaviors), but it is not commonly used b/c it is considered an overly-broad, intrinsically flawed, and absolutely ambigious term. Chevalier d'Eon's personal history is best described as ambigious and full of inaccurate embellishments. He claimed he was born a girl, but had to "present as a boy" so that some inheritance could be paid to his family. (At his death, doctors examined him and affirmed he was anatomically a male -- strange that his death was probably the highlight of his life, b/c his death settled many a betting wager.) A soldier, then a diplomat and spy for the French (serving as a diplomat and spy in London), d'Eon's life was the stuff that rumors are truly made for, and people in London actually made wagers that he was a female.

He formally asked the French government to recognize him as a female b/c that was, he said, what he actually was. King Louis XVI agreed to the request, and officially decreed that he wear female clothing and live as a woman. ((( Guess Louis XVI had never bothered to go to the bathroom with d'Eon - lol. I've always wondered why the King didn't order a royal physical exam, but then again, his attitude of "who cares, if he wants to live as woman, then go for it" was extremely enlightened for the 18th century! )))

So, "eonism" -- which is definitely not in common usage -- has to do with a spectrum of behaviors, only one of which is CDing. For that reason, I wouldn't think it suitable as a substitute for "CDer" -- like was said in another post, if you used it, someone would ask what the heck you meant, then you'd have to say CDing, and then inevitably have to explain why you used the other term. Exhausting!!!

valerie_vanesse
06-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Loved the responces. I have been enlightened and stand corrected. I am a crossdresser and am proud.

battybattybats
06-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Just be careful with pronunciation.. don't let people confuse Eonist with Onanist :eek:

Marla S
06-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Just be careful with pronunciation.. don't let people confuse Eonist with Onanist :eek:
:D that was my first thought too.

Karren H
06-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Karren, I love this one!!
I'll take it if you don't want it.

Hehe... Dang I forgot to copyright it!! Guess you can have it ... Royalty free!!

:tongueout

Love
Plain_Ole_Karren. (Copyright 2007 Karren Hutton LLC...... All rights reserved.... Safe and effective when used as directed... Subject to change without notice..... No animals were harmed during the creation of this name.... Void where prohibited.... Made from 100% recycled letters.... Supercedes all previous names.... Your mileage may vary.... not sold in stores.... Avoid contact with skin... participating locations only.... Modified to fit this screen.... May be too intense for some viewers... Do not use if seal is broken... not legal in all states.......)

:D

SANDRA MICHELLE
06-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I am just Sandra Michelle and I am a crossdresser-a-holic and very happy to be one. Karen your killing me with your wit and wisdom, some day I'm going to get together with you in Pa.