PDA

View Full Version : It would be awesome though

lostinspace
06-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but one of my biggest obstacles is lack of public acceptance and understanding. Not surprisingly I got into a very interesting conversation at work yesterday concerning this. My co-worker addressed a few of the basic problems that prevent public acceptance such as lack of visibility, human nature to fear what they know nothing about, and ridiculous stereotypes. All this I already knew. But then he had a great idea. He proposed creating a highly visible group that was involved with and working for the better of the entire local community.

Immediately, I had this vision of all types from the LGBTQQ community delivering groceries to housebound seniors and raising money for the local children's hospital, etc. Simple small undertakings that make a considerable difference and at the same time makes a good first introduction to society as well as help blur the lines between us and them. Eventually instead of being seen as very different people to be wary of, eventually we'd become a known part of the local infrastructure with a good reputation. I don't know about elsewhere, but around here reputation is everything. Did I mention I'm a huge dreamer?

John
06-22-2007, 01:06 PM
it would cirtainly raise the profile of the issue, though it's sucsess otherwise couldn't be assured (espeshally, no ofence ment here, in america).

actually, axeptance has never bean an obstical to me. The first job I aplied to post-coming-out, they let me present male to work, and most of my friends think it's cool (what can I say? we where the school freeks :heehee:)

CaptLex
06-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Believe it or not, we're working on that in my hometown. Out of our weekly support group we created a larger group of transguys and our allies (the Trans-Masculine Community Network), and one of our main purposes is to promote awareness and education about us. Unfortunately, it's pretty much limited to our local area, but I know the idea can work elsewhere too. :thumbsup:

lostinspace
06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I understand that, location is a lot.

That brings up my own motivation for saying such. I could move to a much more liberal place in this country but all of my friends are here and I'm super shy. Besides, it's my town too. Why do I have to leave it? It would help if I were entirely one or the other but unless I'm fully in drag which is not always I'm eternally in the wrong bathroom no matter which one I choose. And I've been thrown out of plenty of establishments for no reason other than I wasn't welcome but one event in particular having occurred a couple months ago where two friends and I were dragged out of a concert for supposedly dancing lewdly really got to me. I realized last night that I haven't danced since (not that I can dance but give me a couple drinks and suddenly I think I can) and I've developed a phobia of public restrooms. I'm not sure why but probably because people's reactions remind me of all that. (Sidenote: They had grabbed my friends injuring one but no one touched me like they were afraid to touch me. We all knew what was going on. We all wrote letters, filed complaints and consulted lawyers but being from out of town and not knowing any witnesses there is nothing we can do.) The result is I avoid going anywhere I don't know the owners, workers and a good portion of the regulars. Sorry, not trying to rant. I just keep thinking that it doesn't have to be like this. Now that I've gotten past most of the depression from all that I find myself somehow motivated.

Though, I don't know if there are any others like me around here.

Marcie Sexton
06-22-2007, 02:13 PM
In deed it would be nice, I see the day it will come too...I was just reading an article about the way society has started to accept the transgendered population...

More and more is being put out there for the general population to digest...articles, medical facts, story line, real life situations...The most ironic thing is those coming out aren't the Jane and John Does of America, they are well know and respected names, UHHH, families.

Perhaps our time is arriving...But then if it arrives in America now it would arrive in my area about 2032...

But in the mean time I will keep the faith...

Felix
06-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Hi Lostinspace and welcome I apologize for not welcoming you sooner, naughty me :o
As to your post, yeah It would be nice if society was more accepting most definitely. I think things are getting better but it's an extremely slow process. I know I would probably do things differently if things was different but they are not so that's that xx Felix :hugs:

Cai
06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Though, I don't know if there are any others like me around here.

You'd be surprised. I live in the heart of the South's Bible Belt. I'm scared to use the restrooms when I go out because of the rednecks around here. I was positive I was alone in my area, that I wouldn't be accepted. And yet there was a MTF CD at the grocery store this afternoon, and nobody was bothering her.

I think a visible group is great. But in order to let everyone else stop being afraid of us, we have to stop being afraid too.

Kate Simmons
06-24-2007, 07:02 PM
You are absolutely right Cai. Just wish I lived closer to some of you guys. I think together we'd make an unbeatable team.:happy: