PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing as subversion

sandra-leigh
06-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Some days I dress for something to do; some days I dress for excitement; some days I dress "to see what will happen"; often I dress because it feels right.

And some days I dress to be subversive.

For example, a few minutes ago, I put on a below-the-knee green dress, and men's short pants, left myself otherwise in "guy mode", and bicycled over (not so far) to get pizza and a movie. While on the bicycle, the dress was fully pulled down; when I went inside, the dress bottom was tucked into my shorts (but I ain't never seen a guy wear a shirt that colour...). (If I recall correctly, I've worn a denim skirt in that pizza place, but I still have mental barriers about interacting with people while obviously wearing a dress when I'm in guy mode.)

Why did I do it? As an act of rebellion!! I was specifically conscious of that as my motive, and not conscious of other motives.

Now the 64000 peso question: What was I rebelling against ?? This I haven't been able to figure out yet. :(

Those of you who have found yourself crossdressing with a sense of rebellion or subversion: what were you subverting or rebelling against?

Frankie-Dear
06-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Perhaps rebelling against society's uptight restrictions. (i.e. The same reason teenagers spike their hair and get tattoos and piercings.) In any case, congratulations on being bold enough to shake things up! :thumbsup:

prettywithsideburns
06-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I wear a pink belt I was given as my regular belt nowdays. but I don't really do that to be subversive, i just do it cause it looks really good on me.

but no discussion of drag as subversion would be complete without mention of the New York Dolls. one of only a thousand bands credited with inventing punk rock, and my personal fav!

Kate Simmons
06-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Nah, I think we just do it because we can. It would probably go over most people's heads anyway.:happy:

Chantelle CD
06-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I havent done anything like that yet, but i did ask my wife if she would dare me to go out with open toe male sandles with my toenails painted fire red lol she said NO WAY!!! i would have done it lol come to think of it, i dont know why now, but at that time i would have, Hmmmm dont think i would now though, maybe it is how you feel at the present moment, like you said... a littel bit of a rebellion. That is kind of like an emotion that we feel from time to time :)

Frankie-Dear
06-23-2007, 11:04 PM
I've done little things: Both ears pierced, growing my hair long, wearing a toe ring, etc. No one has said anything... Yet. ;)

christina marie
06-23-2007, 11:13 PM
rebelling against anyone who ever told me I shouldn't do this! :p

sandra-leigh
06-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Nah, I think we just do it because we can. It would probably go over most people's heads anyway.

But isn't that part of the art of subversion, to modify thought patterns without bringing them to conscious attention? If you were to ask those people at the pizza place, "How do you feel about guys wearing women's clothing?", you would probably get a bunch of "Yick!" responses. But you just show up in women's clothes a few times and they don't really think about it (if you were respectable), and they get used to it without ever thinking about it.

susie evans
06-24-2007, 12:04 AM
i do it because i can and it feels good and i'am comfortable in girly mode :hugs:

susie

sandra-leigh
06-24-2007, 12:15 AM
i do it because i can and it feels good and i'am comfortable in girly mode

Susie, no underdressing for you at work, with thoughts like, "Management can be idiots and these endless meetings are torture by stupidity!! But I have my secret weapon, my silent rebellion that keeps me sane -- I'm wearing panties, and for the really inane meetings, I protect myself with pantyhose too!" ??

Marla S
06-24-2007, 03:47 AM
I think you are right, tess.

We rebell when the submissive fear to be labeled becomes defiantness ... label me you nerd ... what do you know.

Like Christina said:

"rebelling against anyone who ever told me I shouldn't do this!"

and the artificiality of the gender norms.

Kate Simmons
06-24-2007, 04:00 AM
I understand what you are saying Tess and it probably does work in a one-on-one situation. Even the nicest people, if they think they've been "had" though and start talking may develop a "mob" mentality which can get very ugly very quickly. I agree with pushing boundries and love doing it but I also know human nature which is to go after the "oddball" who threatens the status quo. So, have fun with it but never, ever let your guard down.:happy:

Mitch23
06-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Some days I dress for something to do; some days I dress for excitement; some days I dress "to see what will happen"; often I dress because it feels right.

And some days I dress to be subversive.

For example, a few minutes ago, I put on a below-the-knee green dress, and men's short pants, left myself otherwise in "guy mode", and bicycled over (not so far) to get pizza and a movie. While on the bicycle, the dress was fully pulled down; when I went inside, the dress bottom was tucked into my shorts (but I ain't never seen a guy wear a shirt that colour...). (If I recall correctly, I've worn a denim skirt in that pizza place, but I still have mental barriers about interacting with people while obviously wearing a dress when I'm in guy mode.)

Why did I do it? As an act of rebellion!! I was specifically conscious of that as my motive, and not conscious of other motives.

Now the 64000 peso question: What was I rebelling against ?? This I haven't been able to figure out yet. :(

Those of you who have found yourself crossdressing with a sense of rebellion or subversion: what were you subverting or rebelling against?
gender stereotypes, having to wear boring, uncomfortable 'drab' clothing, making a personal statement about my character and personality, sexual thrill, anarchic buzz (I can do this and get away with it). Lets face it girls, its not always that comfortable to be wearing bra and panties is it now - but it's a delicious secret that helps you get through the working day!

I went to a work do on Friday wearing ladies stretch denims over my guy shirt, panties, clear varnish, 'manbag', shaved legs and light makeup - I felt great and noone noticed or cared,

Mitch

aussie_carla
06-24-2007, 05:31 AM
I fully agree with Suzie Evans.
Because it feels good and I can. And Suzie if I may say, you look wonderful.

nephthyr
06-24-2007, 08:06 AM
The only reason I dress is to rebel, I never ever try to pass as a women, I want people to know that I am a male wearing female clothes. I am rebelling against societies norms and values.

Sharon
06-24-2007, 09:13 AM
I think that once in awhile, we just have a need to rebel against ourselves -- against our comfort zone.

Frankie-Dear
06-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I think that once in awhile, we just have a need to rebel against ourselves -- against our comfort zone.

This may very well be the BEST reason!

chucks
06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
rebelling against any belief.

Erinn
06-24-2007, 11:59 AM
One day you will come to realize it was all an act of pure immaturity, but that's Ok too.

I do it all the time, pushing the envelope and I am mentally still 18 years old.

battybattybats
06-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Hmm... an interesting notion.

Several times when I really indulged my goth side in public, lace ruffled shirt, long velvet cloak etc I did so just as an expression of myself but afterwards the notion that it was subversive pleased me terribly. Again a couple of times when I've work black lipstick out while in male mode I did so for my own enjoyment but then discovered added satisfaction that I was acting in a decent but subversive way.

Actually I think that ethical subversion is a moral duty. People need to be exposed to new and different things to be able to tolerate difference, I find it's as much a skill as an ideal. So its good to expose yourself and others to new and challenging things.

Subversive behaviour alone is certainly a valid reason.

Rebelling against what? Restriction, just ordinary restriction. Having 'roles' you are expected to perform. Conformity. Isn't it the great enemy? Enemy of creativity and freedom. Perhaps crossdressing, especially partial or non-passing crossdressing, is the ultimate in the expression of liberty... the antithesis of the 'mao suit'.

Now I wouldn't think that was immature, it could be the most mature, the most developed thing of all.

Frankie-Dear
06-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Agreed, Bats!! It's creative, fun, and it pushes all the boundaries! What could be more mature than that? Some people live their whole lives in self-rejection. That, to me, is the very depth of an immature and underdeveloped consciousness, and is sad, in the extreme.