PDA

View Full Version : Event and aftermath from nasty rumor

CharleneCD
06-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Last week I told you about that nasty rumor. You know the one that I am a transvestite. Well two new employees were also told I was gay. I talked to my union rep and she said the union would back me in a grievance. This would have been a big deal, and all I wanted was the gay thing to stop. So I went with my original plan and said if they want a tranny I will give them a tranny. So I painted my nails put on the most femine print scrubs of my wifes along with my silver and pink athletic shoes. She did a little eye makeup for me and I wore my fem glasses and we picked out some large pink flower earings. So off to work we went. I think I shocked a few people. No one would say anything but a couple of the nurses found reasons to wander through my area. I made two mistakes though. First I didnt look at the schedule and picked the night our new charge nurse was on. She was not involved and I am a bit sorry she had to face it. About an hour into the shift she gives me the lets go talk in the office. The first thing she brought up was mistake number two. Holly brought up the point of my patients comfort in the last post. I thought I could manage with just giving them the old lost a bet routine. It wasnt working, at least for me. I am not the least bit ashamed at who and what I am. If I was, I never would have walked into work the way I was dressed. But my care and compasion for my patients doesnt allow me to do anything that will make them uncomfortable. I wasnt feeling comfortable dealing with my patients. So when the first thing the charge brought up was the comfort of the patients I had to give in a little. She did bring up policy which I could have fought, but my heart wasnt in it. So I agreed to remove my nail polish as it was going to be literaly in the patients faces as I took teperatures, and I also changed to more simple earings. My makeup though I had to keep. She would have liked it off, but had to agree that trying to take off my mascera could have made things worse. That stuff can be a mess. :D
I did make sure she understood why I was doing what I was doing. She agreed that what was happening was wrong, I dot think anyone will be backstabbing me around her.

Well even without the polish I still looked... well not quite fem, but like a guy in girly clothes. It turns out most didnt even notice my nails. They were fixated on my makeup, and I was wearing very little. They were still talking about it two days later. So I think I can safely say what was just speculation on their part before is now more like certainty. They now have a pretty good idea that I AM A TRANNY.

I would have liked to have gotten pics at work, but patient privacy says no cameras in the hospital. So we took a couple after we got home. The only thing missing is the nail polish otherwise this is how I went to work.

Frankie-Dear
06-24-2007, 12:12 AM
You look great!! :thumbsup:

prettywithsideburns
way to go! sure, it doesn't sound like it went quite as smoothly as it probably did in your imagination leading up to the event, but you sure shut everyone up, and that's what's important!

Billijo49504
Frst of all, you look good in skrubs. Just my opinion, but I th ink it's a big thing with online car links.....BJ

CharleneCD
06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
way to go! sure, it doesn't sound like it went quite as smoothly as it probably did in your imagination leading up to the event, but you sure shut everyone up, and that's what's important!

No it didnt. LOL But what ever goes as good as your imagination. As for shutting them up, as long as the bad behavior is gone I dont care if they talk. It was actualy my wife who was more upset than me. What is really important to me is that I am for all practical purposes outed by myself. So at this point I no longer have to be carefull what I say or be afraid of slipping up.

Chantelle CD
06-24-2007, 12:33 AM
char what you did was awsome, people talking behind your back and spreading rumors is just so uncalled for and wrong!!! way to go !!!

Have to say, you are a handsome fella, and seen your dressed pics, and are a very lovely woman as well

Satrana
06-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Good for you! Everyone needs to learn tolerance and the best way is to confront them and show them you will not cower under their prejudice. Congrats on standing up for your own rights. You may as well use this opportunity to build on your progress now that you have sent the message that you are a CD and are proud of it.:thumbsup:

sterling12
06-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Also, be grateful that you are getting backing from your Union Rep. I live and work in a "Right To Work State." Nursing and many other professions have little or no Union Representation down here.

This may be a classic example of how a negotiated labor contract can protect you. I'll just bet that there are Gender Discrimination or Sexual Orientation clauses within your Union's Contract. At least I hope that's "The Hook" that your Rep is basing her willingness upon.

Good luck, I don't think your quite out of The Woods yet.

Peace and Love, Joanie

CharleneCD
06-24-2007, 02:00 AM
Also, be grateful that you are getting backing from your Union Rep. I live and work in a "Right To Work State." Nursing and many other professions have little or no Union Representation down here.

This may be a classic example of how a negotiated labor contract can protect you. I'll just bet that there are Gender Discrimination or Sexual Orientation clauses within your Union's Contract. At least I hope that's "The Hook" that your Rep is basing her willingness upon.

Good luck, I don't think your quite out of The Woods yet.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Union contract or not, hospitals fear lawsuits. I have seen my company handle a non union sexual harrasment claim. The harraser was fired that day. It did help that 6 nurses from 3 different departments filed the same day. Being called gay for not completely meeting gender norms is a form of sexual harrasment. While my case is nowhere near as strong, I didnt wish to risk someone getting fired. And yes sexual harrasment was the term the union rep used.

As for not being out of the woods yet, I dont forsee any problems. I am sure the charge nurse has told the manager, yet he hasnt said anything and he has had the chance. In fact he had the wife in his office after but discussed something else. Ultimately though I did not stray from the uniform policy so there is not much they can say.

Sheri 4242
06-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Charlene,

I would say you handled it correctly!!! True, it might not have gone as smoothly as you would have liked, but otherwise, it seems it was fine! I looked at your pictures, and there is nothing wrong with what you are wearing or the way you look!

(And, I'll bet you ARE out of the woods!!!)

Kate Simmons
06-24-2007, 04:08 AM
I thought you handled it very well Charlene and you look absolutely great in that outfit.:thumbsup::happy:

Angie G
06-24-2007, 04:42 AM
Charlene to bad some people can't mind there beeswax and I think what you did was cool :hugs:
Angie

Mitch23
06-24-2007, 05:11 AM
You look great. Charlene, you should feel very proud of yourself. You stood up to bigotry and prejudice in a very brave way and made everyone aware of who you are. Hopefully that will improve relationships in the workplace and challenge others to think about their own attitudes and stereotype behaviour

Good on you girl!

Mitch

Erinn
06-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Congratulations Charlene!

However....I do not like the term "Tranny" it makes my blood run cold.
The media has portrayed "Tranny" to be so many evil things of which we are not.

As for me even though I can ....I choose not to come out at work. As a crossdresser who goes out in public, I still enjoy my private CD life.

Trying to explain who we are to the general public is like banging ones head to the wall.

TxKimberly
06-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Wow - and people say I have courage! When reading your earlier post on this subject I have to admit your patients comfort level had NOT crossed my mind, but I think the charge nurse was 100% correct in pointing that, and I like the fact that it was important to you as well.
So you thought you had rumors to deal with before, now the stories are gonna go through the roof! Your gonna be a legand! lol

SarahLynn
06-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Odd as this may sound were it not for the earings i'd not be a bit put off by your outfit. And i'm not saying the earings put me off, only that i'd not assume you to be a crossdresser from your appearance without them. I've seen, particularly in scrubs, so many differences from the days of plain white or green, to accept anything that a nurse might wear. If you came into my room with that outfit i'd just assume you enjoyed being a bit different than the other nurses. and i'm not saying in a CD way, just in the way you're trying to "cheer up" the paitients. My advice, for what it's worth, keep it up, you look cheerfull and that's a big boost to care.

SarahLynn

Jenny Beth
06-24-2007, 09:59 AM
You got nerve :thumbsup: In your original post I suggested you give them a sexy nurse for a bit of fun but my thoughts were more serious.....they wanted a tranny.....give them a tranny. You did very well and while you haven't been brought in front of the manager I'll bet those who were involved in slander have. Congrats!

Tina Dixon
06-24-2007, 10:02 AM
They would have really craped if you had your wig and forms on, but hey you had a nice mix of male and female going on and I like the scrubs:thumbsup:

CharleneCD
06-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks to all of you who commented and complimented.

Erin, Personaly I am not a fan of the term tranvestite either. I agree it has too many negative conotations here in the U.S. But I will use it here in a tongue and cheek manner.

Kimberly, hearing the word courage from you I take as a major compliment.

SarahLynn, I do tend to wear alot more colors than most guys in my field, just not quite as bright as that one. Many of my patients do like it and I have received many compliments from them. While I will never go to that extreme again, I have no intention to stop wearing bright colors.

Patty
06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I think that you handle ed it very well and you look great in the pictures!!
I think the coloring of the clothes makes it a more lit and not stressful.
Keep it up. :happy:

Sheri 4242
06-24-2007, 03:55 PM
If you came into my room with that outfit i'd just assume you enjoyed being a bit different than the other nurses. and i'm not saying in a CD way, just in the way you're trying to "cheer up" the paitients. My advice, for what it's worth, keep it up, you look cheerfull and that's a big boost to care.

. . . you had a nice mix of male and female going on and I like the scrubs.

Major dittos re both of the above replies!!! You looked great -- cheerful, self-expressive-yet professional!!!

AmandaM
06-24-2007, 07:55 PM
:devil:Now mind-f*** them. Go as some hyper-masculine macho man!

loveaCD GG
06-24-2007, 08:04 PM
I think you handled it great! You looked good in your scrubs too! :hugs:

Kitty Sue
06-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Very gutsy. That is awesome

Priscilla Ann
06-24-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd say that is a right cheery outfit you have on. Real men can wear pink...:D

Holly
06-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Well Charlene it's over now and it looks as if you came out of it pretty much unscathed... I glad for that. It's a shame it had to come down to this, though. Some people just can't stand "different." I guess it's also good that the new charge nurse seemed to be sympathetic to your plight. The main thing is that I'm happy that you are okay and like you said, hopefully the nasty talking will stop.

JoAnnDallas
06-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Charlene......congrads and you look great. Now that your out so the speak, I sure a lot of the rumors and such will die down and things will get back to normal. As long as your charge nurse and yourself have an agreement, you should be able to dress and be yourself. If she is aware of the the rumors, she will take steps that should take care of that.

Again, Congrads and kudos to Bunny.