PDA

View Full Version : TMC Network's First Pride March (long)

CaptLex
06-25-2007, 08:57 AM
As you may know, this was Gay Pride weekend in NYC and it's a huge deal around here. I've watched the festivities from the sidelines before, but never had an opportunity to participate. In fact, several years ago I asked my cousin if I could tag along with him to some of the activities and he told me he didn't think I should. He gave me some lame excuse about people seeing me as a fag hag and made me feel so bad, I decided never to ask again. Last year at this time I had just started coming out to friends and co-workers, and been part of the trans community only a few months, but I went to the parade and watched from the sidewalk 'cause I so wanted to be a part of the experience. It was nice, but this year it was so much better.

Friday my group (TransMasculine Community Network) joined other trans groups in a Trans Day of Action rally and march. Last year we got into a big tussle with the NYPD because they didn't want us to march and didn't want to issue us a permit. This year we fought hard for the permit and were allowed to march, but only on the sidewalks, not the streets (and not on any main streets). Not perfect, but we have to start somewhere. We also got permission to have speeches in one of the city parks and lots of people stopped and listened to us talk about injustices towards trans people, so that was cool. After that our group went to eat and I joined them and had a great time. I should probably explain that lately I've been feeling like I should start acting my age and stop hanging out with these "kids", but I had such a good time and (as always), they make me feel so welcome and part of the group that I realized how silly I've been. These guys are all in their 20's and I'm 46, and I don't feel too bad about tagging along if Das is there 'cause he's 38, but he was out of town and I thought I should skip it. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't.

Yesterday (Sunday) The TransMasculine Community Network marched in its first ever gay pride parade (a fact that was announced on a loudspeaker on several stops along the route). It was so amazing that words can't begin to describe it. We wore our t-shirts with our logo on it, carried our banner with our name and logo and handed out fliers to all who wanted to know what our group was about. Behind us was a float that played great dancing music and we all got into the spirit and danced up and down 5th Avenue from midtown to the Village (even Das, a little). I haven't danced in too long, mostly because of my bum knee, but I danced up a storm today. People on the sidelines were cheering us on and some even gave us water (it was a very hot, sunny day). I was told I couldn't be any gayer (I was wearing a rainbow dogtag, a rainbow bracelet and a rainbow lei), and I realized my wave to the crowds had started out like a stiff politician's wave, but by the end it was as gay as could be. :tongueout

Das dared me to flirt with 3 guys in the crowd and said he's post about it, so I had to do it. I blew kisses at cute guys and they blew them back - it was sooo great. Halfway through the parade my son, Greg, showed up but didn't want to join us. He and his friend watched from the sidelines and followed us to the end - after which we went out to celebrate in the East Village. The perfect ending to a hot, sweaty, feet-hurting but happy day.

But here's the best part of my whole gay pride parade experience . . . I swear if I died right now, I'd die happy. Along the route Das was handing out fliers to the crowd and he handed one to this guy with long white hair wearing a blue shirt. A second later I realized it was Billy Connolly (you know him, right? the Scottish actor/comedian?). Anyway, I never approach celebrities (they hate that usually), but I was so psyched about the whole experience that I walked right up to him with my hands held out to him and said, "Oh my God!" He was so nice - first, he took my hand and shook it. I thanked him for coming out and then he wished me a Happy Pride, reached out and gave me a really strong hug. I couldn't believe it! I was in heaven! Billy Connolly hugged me!! The only way it would have been better was if it had been Eddie Izzard (or Johnny Depp, but then I would have passed out). I was so thrilled, I had to tell someone, but I realized none of the guys with me would probably know who he is and then I looked around for Greg (who would have LOVED it), but he was not in sight. I related the whole experience to him later and he couldn't believe it.

So, yeah . . . I had a perfect day. The best day ever I can remember. And I wanted to share it. My voice is gone from all the hooting and hollering and my body aches, but it was all worth it. I called in sick today to recover - I guess you could say I have Pride hangover. ;)

Dasein9
06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
I should probably explain that lately I've been feeling like I should start acting my age and stop hanging out with these "kids", but I had such a good time and (as always), they make me feel so welcome and part of the group that I realized how silly I've been. These guys are all in their 20's and I'm 46, and I don't feel too bad about tagging along if Das is there 'cause he's 38, but he was out of town and I thought I should skip it. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't.

I'm going to break the forum rules now.
YOU BIG DUMMY! You're not too old to be part of this group. We need more people who are older to join, and they never will if those of us who are -- ahem! -- more experienced quit.

Das dared me to flirt with 3 guys in the crowd and said he's post about it, so I had to do it. I blew kisses at cute guys and they blew them back - it was sooo great.

I am happy to report that the Cap'n shed his usual introversion and flirted like a total flamer! He sashayed!

CaptLex
06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm going to break the forum rules now.
YOU BIG DUMMY! You're not too old to be part of this group. We need more people who are older to join, and they never will if those of us who are -- ahem! -- more experienced quit.
Ha, ha . . . yes, technically that is bashing a mod, but I know you're doing that as my friend, and not as a member, so it's okay. Besides, you're right - I was being a dummy. Thanks for the reminder. :^5:

I am happy to report that the Cap'n shed his usual introversion and flirted like a total flamer! He sashayed!
LOL! It's so true. I only wish I had brought my camera - so I could remember this day forever.

BTW guys . . . there was a guy from England in the crowd and he was yelling at one of our guys asking him for his ID 'cause he thought he was underage. Those Brits are a riot! ;)

Dasein9
06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
http://keyetv.com/national/topstories_story_175202412.html

I didn't even know this was going on at the head of the parade -- religious groups led the parade this year. :D

CaptLex
06-25-2007, 09:30 AM
http://keyetv.com/national/topstories_story_175202412.html

I didn't even know this was going on at the head of the parade -- religious groups led the parade this year. :D
Wow, that's so cool! I didn't know about that either. If I had seen that as a spectator, I would have thought the same as this person . . .

"I thought the religious groups had hijacked the parade," she said. "I couldn't put it together, religion and sexuality."

We've come a long way, baby . . . :D

Dasein9
06-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeh. Religion and sexuality are only two of the major ways we form identities in Western society. I think they belong very much together.

gennee
06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
That's great, Cap!!. It's interesting how things work out for the best and you got a special treat, too.

Gennee

:hugs:

Tristan
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Sounds like you guys had a good weekend. Glad it went so well for you boys! I skipped our pride too afraid I'd end up in a newsclip or something.

CaptLex
06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
That's great, Cap!!. It's interesting how things work out for the best and you got a special treat, too.
Thanks, Gennee!

Sounds like you guys had a good weekend. Glad it went so well for you boys! I skipped our pride too afraid I'd end up in a newsclip or something.
Maybe you can march here with us one of these days, Trist. That would be so cool! :D

RevMoonSerpent
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I was in heaven! Billy Connolly hugged me!!

You lucky devil. Not to sound sick but, was he as good looking in person as on the screen?
I'm glad you had such a wonderful time Capt. If anyone needs a good cheering up it's you and Das. I sounds like you both did wonders for the community. :D

Kieron Andrew
06-25-2007, 05:57 PM
A second later I realized it was Billy Connolly (you know him, right? the Scottish actor/comedian?). Anyway, I never approach celebrities (they hate that usually), but I was so psyched about the whole experience that I walked right up to him with my hands held out to him and said, "Oh my God!" He was so nice - first, he took my hand and shook it. I thanked him for coming out and then he wished me a Happy Pride, reached out and gave me a really strong hug. I couldn't believe it! I was in heaven! Billy Connolly hugged me!!
well someone has to hug him i suppose :p .....me not a fan of the man at all!

for all those that havent a clue

http://www.billyconnolly.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Connolly
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175262/

Tristan
06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
I'd love to march with you guys. I'm so there next year if everything goes well!