PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in DRAB

Staci G
06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I am on :c9: I went shopping for myself today by myself I bought 2 pr shoes (love Payless) BOGO 1/2 off any who I went to walmart and I got the cutest capris and lacy top new bra and pantyhose.. shopped till I dropped and never once made any excuse to any SA I just asked for help finding my size and thats all.. No questions asked from them either. It was the 1st time I was not nervous at all I just wanted what I wanted and bought it..
THanks for all your cheering on you do in here it helps alot

I love you guys opps GIRLS

Valerie Nicole
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
I got shopping in drab all the time...though I never ask for SA's help or try anything on...so they just assume I'm buying for somebody else. It's really great.

Karren H
06-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I got shopping in drab all the time...though I never ask for SA's help or try anything on...so they just assume I'm buying for somebody else. It's really great.

Well, Valerie, you keep telling yourself that because there's like a 99% chance that the SA's know your shopping for yourself.. They've seen it all before so your not the first...

But anyway.. Its still fun no matter what.. And getting SA's and checkout clerks involved and even the public in general makes it even more fun as Staci just discovered!!!

Karren

Brianna Lovely
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Good for you Staci, way to go.
I must admit, the first time I went shopping, I was nervous, but I got over it. Now days, if I want or need something, I go out and get it, no matter how I'm presenting at the moment.

Valerie Nicole
06-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, Valerie, you keep telling yourself that because there's like a 99% chance that the SA's know your shopping for yourself.. They've seen it all before so your not the first...

Nah. They all say things like "if this doesn't fit, she has so many days to return it." So they either don't know or just don't consider it worth commenting on and would rather pretend to buy into the illusion. I'm happy either way.

Chantelle CD
06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Darn it!! im going to try this, my SO goes out shoping with me, holds stuff up, looks at me if i like it or not, and this can be more embarasing than anything, love that she tries though. Im going to ask for help!! I think the SO wont want to be around for that though, ill ask her and see if she would mind me asking with her around.

Mitch23
06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Way to go girl! Thats the girlie way - you've just got to have that thing!

Mitch

Alice B
06-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I've have grown to the point that I think nothing about it when I buy for Alice and could care less what the sales person or others in line think. Have not gotten to the point where I would try anything on, so once in a while I end up with the wrong size. All that aside, I think that it is great that you are able to shop for yourself, withouit guilt.:hugs:

kathy333
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I know what you mean i've used all sorts of "reasons" I'm shopping in the womens department. but the best time for me is when I just go for it and ship not warey about it. p.s my spelling sucks

Melissa_Z
06-26-2007, 03:22 PM
That's fantastic! Good for you :)

Out of curiosity, what prompted the shopping trip? Where did the burst of confidence come from? From my experience I have had a few really great en-homme shopping experiences (I'm 0 for 0 on en-femme ... go figure) and yet there are so many times where for some reason or another I still freak myself out enough where I freeze and talk myself out of shopping. It is completely silly but it happens all the time :) I've been trying to put my finger on why that is ... <sigh>

Melissa

Wendy me
06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
lol very well done ....i haven't worried abought shopping in over 30 something years......... ( i started young lol).......

Deanna2
06-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I shop only in drab. Sometimes I might ask for assistance which is usually given pleasantly. I've certainly never been hasselled in any way that has been disturbing.

Sheri 4242
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I've have grown to the point that I think nothing about it when I buy for Alice and could care less what the sales person or others in line think.

i haven't worried abought shopping in over 30 something years......... ( i started young lol)

Good going, Staci!!! Maybe I don't think about it like someone who has never done it before because, like Wendy, I 've been shopping for myself for a very long time. I recall when I was probably about 10-12 years old, going and buying my first leotard and pair of tights, and my first panties and bra. Given that I'm now very early fifty-something, guess I've been shopping for 40 something years. It does get easier -- and I think attitudes have changed a great deal. I remember when I was about 12 and went to Sears to buy a bra, the SA (an older lady) gave me a very difficult time -- you would have thought I was commiting a felony. Today, it is NO big deal and practically all the SA's seem very helpful "in a knowing sort of way."

Jodi
06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Thought I'd share this. Last week, my favorite BCBG store called to say they were starting their big summer sale on the 27th (tomarrow). I just finished a call talking to the manager telling her that I will be in tomarrow morning to shop. She told me that she will have a fitting room set up for me.

Nothing like personal service.

Jodi

serinalynn
06-26-2007, 07:16 PM

If your in the store buying womens clothing, the chances are high that they will know you're buying for your self. I shop at 2 of the 6 Lane Bryant Stores in this metropolitan area and all of the SA's know that what I buy is for me. Only the nieve rookie sales associate will ask of your buying for wife or SO. Even if they do ask you can go to the store manager and ask that the SA's stop asking, because It's none of their business. The SA is only there to officiate the sale, once the sale is complete she shoud say "Thank you for shopping at___________" and say "please come back soon". At this point you are free to leave.

susie evans
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
karren is right i go to kohl's not far from where we live and one sa in particulr see's me walk in she is allways showing me the latests styles and the barginracks :hugs:

susie

trannie T
06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I usually shop in drab, but I have a couple of responses to any questions from sales associates. I occasionally ask if I can try on an item (I've always been told yes) or I tell the sales associate that I'm shopping for myself. I always have received a positive response.

It might be better if sales associates were not as polite, I'd save a lot of money.

rata
06-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Good on you girl shop till you drop.

Staci G
06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
That's fantastic! Good for you :)

Out of curiosity, what prompted the shopping trip? Where did the burst of confidence come from? From my experience I have had a few really great en-homme shopping experiences (I'm 0 for 0 on en-femme ... go figure) and yet there are so many times where for some reason or another I still freak myself out enough where I freeze and talk myself out of shopping. It is completely silly but it happens all the time :) I've been trying to put my finger on why that is ... <sigh>

Melissa
I had the car wife was at work thats it

joann07
06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Congrats! Its a piece of cake. Keep it up.

Emma England
06-27-2007, 04:23 AM
That is great!

Try doing it dress as a girl - it is even better.

JoAnnDallas
06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Way to go.....I too shop in drab. A few weeks ago, I went into Walmart, pickeup a a cute beige skort, matching top, new earrings, neckless, shoes, and a new watch. I also bought some more makeup. The girl that checked me out did comment on how cute the skort and top was. She first said it was a skirt, then I told her it was really a skort. She looked and was suprised that it really was a skort. Not once did she act like it made any difference that I was a male buying female clothing and accessories. All she said when I paid and got ready to leave was "Have a nice day Dear". I smiled and could not get home fast enough, so I could try on the new outfit. LOL.

Most SA's and checkout people don't care what your buying and who is buying it.

I walked in to Walgreens the other day and walked up to a 20 something year old SA and asked if they had nail polish call "Cotton Candy". She helped me look and we found a bottle. It is made by "Sally Handson". She had no problem helping find it and even check me out at the comestic counter.

Frankie-Dear
06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Fantastic!! I am quickly gaining that same boldness. I swear, sometimes it feels like my heart is going to explode out of my chest, though! LOL!

JoAnnDallas
06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Frankie......that soon will pass........I too used to be scared to death when I would go out en fem or buy anything that was fem. Now I feel totaly normal wither out en fem or buying fem items in drab. It takes a little time to reallize that no one cares what your buying or whom your buying for. Just don't act nervious, that will get security looking at you. LOL

Melissa_Z
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I had the car wife was at work thats it
Nice!

Spontaneity seems to be one of the necessary factors for me as well. Now to just be able to get over that fear-hump consistently!

Fantastic!! I am quickly gaining that same boldness. I swear, sometimes it feels like my heart is going to explode out of my chest, though! LOL!

Oh boy .... I know that feeling. Egads!

Frankie-Dear
06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Frankie......that soon will pass........I too used to be scared to death when I would go out en fem or buy anything that was fem. Now I feel totaly normal wither out en fem or buying fem items in drab. It takes a little time to reallize that no one cares what your buying or whom your buying for. Just don't act nervious, that will get security looking at you. LOL

True enough... I walked into Walmart, a few days ago, and realized, that as I walked past the womens' section, that I actually felt... Comfortable! That was a little strange. LOL

Wendy me
06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
OK want to have some fun shopping ??? play the shopping game .... it's easy
write down your sizes ... go to a store were the sales staff works on commission .. find a sales girl the looks like you could enjoy shopping with ... ask her could she help you pick out some things .... tell her you have a good idea what your looking for .... don't lie tell her the things are for some special girl in your life.... go have fun shop look at skirts , dresses .... tops or what ever .... try it it's fun ..... i have no trouble shopping and every now and then i play the shopping game .... why ??? because it's fun ... and fun is what this is all abought right??? now go give it a try and have fun.....

Melissa_Z
06-27-2007, 01:58 PM
OK want to have some fun shopping ??? play the shopping game .... it's easy
write down your sizes ... go to a store were the sales staff works on commission .. find a sales girl the looks like you could enjoy shopping with ...

That sounds like a great idea! I'm thinking like a Nordstroms or some place bigger like that is a commission place maybe? Probably not Limited or Gap or BR though? We should start a list :p

Melissa.

Frankie-Dear
06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Don't forget Macy's. :thumbsup:

pointeshoes30215
06-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Like Sheri 4242, when I was 12 or 13 years old I pedaled my bike to a childrens shoe store and bought a pair of pink tights, a black leotard and a pair of pink ballet slippers. The older sales lady checked my size and handed me the tights and leotard still in there package, but had me try on the ballet slippers. I don't remember the conversation but I was glad when I left. Like Sheri 4242 I am from Georgia and we are the same age. pointeshoes 30215

TerriCT
06-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Another step forward yesterday...i went to the local Fashion Bug in drab...when the SA asked if she could help me i said i was looking for a skirt and top...she helped me pick out a few things and then i actually said i would like to try them on...she looked at me and said, "no problem"...led me to the dressing room and even opened the door...bought a very cute denim skirt and gained a lot of confidence...thank you all...