PDA

View Full Version : Why take hormones?

Nicole
06-27-2007, 05:51 AM
I can feel the laser-scopes focusing upon my avatar as I type this. Hold your fire please, hold your fire! :eek: I'm not trying to be controversial nor test your patience. I genuinely want your honest opinions. Many internet websites cover the biological effects of hormones (the "what's" and "how's"), but few if any discuss the "why's".

So.... why do you take hormones? If you can spare the time, will you share with me the reasons why you are taking them and what made you decide to start?

Note: I am not seeking a hormone regimen at this time.

Tamera
06-27-2007, 06:28 AM
I have not started....
But have thought about it to reduce/get rid of, body hair.
I am going through Electrolysis now.
My only other hairy spots are my belly and legs(must be that hormonal imbalance thing). So I am lucky that way.

I also thought it would help to give my arms that FEM look, and get rid of some muscle tone.

Some also use the hormones for the figure. It can give you more hips and a lil more BUTT, but I use padding for these areas.
LOL
Tamera

Marla S
06-27-2007, 07:09 AM
I don't take hormones, but I think once in a while about getting some.
I'd take hormones to stop further masculinization.
That is an ongoing process and I am not too happy about it.

For that reason I am taking soy isoflavones.
My rationality knows it does nothing and is wasted money, but my psyche needs a placebo.

Cai
06-27-2007, 07:13 AM
I'll come at this from the other side - I'd take hormones to deepen my voice and also for facial hair. I find just a little bit of beard to be very attractive, and I want it.

Kate Simmons
06-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I took phytogens for years and the effect was softening my mental processes mostly. I really think they helped me to get a better outlook on things. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking them a few years back due to the fact I had developed high blood pressure and they do tend to raise the blood pressure if unregulated. Now I just to tend to rely on the fact that I have balanced my feelings and this seems to have a much more profound effect anyway on who I am as an overall person.:happy:

GypsyKaren
06-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I take them for a couple of reasons. I am transitioning, and they are a requirement to have GRS. The main reason is they're "fixing" my body, I somehow got in the wrong line and ended up with a male body...oops! The hormones are giving me the shape I'm supposed to have and feel comfortable with. They also give me the "right" blood, so to speak, and that's important to me...they make me feel "right" inside.

One thing I will say is this, I see no need or reason to take them if you're not going to transition, because they're not something you play with. This is serious stuff here, so if all you want is boobs, stick to forms, and I certainly wouldn't take them just to lessen body hair, use a razor instead...just my opinion.

Karen Starlene

CaptLex
06-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't have a laser scope - just a water gun. :p

So.... why do you take hormones? If you can spare the time, will you share with me the reasons why you are taking them and what made you decide to start?

We all need hormones of one type or the other - can't live without 'em. In my case I got rid of the ones that were wrong for me and am taking the ones that are right for me. It would be easier if my body produced enough T naturally, but it doesn't, so I have to inject it. It's what works for me - body, mind and soul. :happy:

Sharon
06-27-2007, 09:23 AM
I'll save myself the trouble of writing out an answer to your question, since Karen Starlene already wrote what I was thinking.

I take them for a couple of reasons. I am transitioning, and they are a requirement to have GRS. The main reason is they're "fixing" my body, I somehow got in the wrong line and ended up with a male body...oops! The hormones are giving me the shape I'm supposed to have and feel comfortable with. They also give me the "right" blood, so to speak, and that's important to me...they make me feel "right" inside.

One thing I will say is this, I see no need or reason to take them if you're not going to transition, because they're not something you play with. This is serious stuff here, so if all you want is boobs, stick to forms, and I certainly wouldn't take them just to lessen body hair, use a razor instead...just my opinion.

Karen Starlene

LisaRose
06-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I take them for a couple of reasons. I am transitioning, and they are a requirement to have GRS.
Karen Starlene

???Karen please explain. You're saying a patient HAS to take them before they're allowed to have GRS??? I can't understand the logic in this.

GypsyKaren
06-27-2007, 10:32 AM
???Karen please explain. You're saying a patient HAS to take them before they're allowed to have GRS??? I can't understand the logic in this.

Most GRS surgeons adhere to the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care and requirements in order to qualify for GRS...Must have two referral letters from a qualified p-doc or therapist, must be on hormones for up to one year, and must have lived full time as a woman for one year. Many don't agree with these standards, myself included, and I do believe they are in the process of relaxing some of them.

Karen Starlene

Stephenie S
06-27-2007, 08:27 PM
I take them because I am transitioning and I am conforming to the HBSC at the insistance of my physicians.

I like what they are doing for me. I think some of the reasons listed above are a bit unlikely. I see very little, if any reduction in body hair. Perhaps a slowing down of the rate of growth. My electrologist claims that my beard growth has slowed. All the hair (that she has not removed) is still there though. And I take another medication, finasteride, to combat MPB.

I see very little, if any, additional fat on my butt and thighs. My endo claims that because I am so thin, I am unlikely to see much in this department. That's OK, I really don't want to be fat. I am sure that if I had the 50+ pounds I lost over the last year back, I would have some additional padding. But most of that weight was around my middle and I'm glad to have it gone.

I see very little, if any, reduction in muscle mass. I am less strong, I can tell. Perhaps there is some reduction, I have been told recently that I can wear sleeveless tops, and I always avoided them like the plague.

All above changes have been so slight as to be unverifiable by me. I have been taking HRT for 10 months.

My verifiable changes have been:

Breasts - nice growth. Not huge at all, but nice, and still growing, of course. I love 'em.

Emotions - wonderful! I am so emotional. I bawl at the drop of a hat. Sweet comercials on TV, sappy movies, songs, pictures, etc. I love it. I am also much more considerate of my wife's (and other's) feelings. Perhaps, though, that has something to due with the fact that she is giving me minimal s**t about this transition thing and I feel I REALLY owe her a LOT. I tell her often that being "out" is like a song in my heart.

That's it.

HRT does NOT turn you into a girl. I have always been a girl, now a woman. I was just raised as a male, and I have a male body. Don't look to HRT as a magic wand. It just won't happen. If you were all f****d up before HRT you are going to be all f****d after HRT, only with breasts and tears.

Of course, YMMV.

Lovies,
Stephenie

OK, you also asked, why did I start? I was in therapy. When I came out to my wife about a year and a half ago, I told her I was going to see a therapist because of my gender issues. I saw the therapist for 6 months and then one day he said, "You're done, I can do no more for you, and I am referring you to an endocrinologist for HRT." That was that. I went to the apointment, the endo read the referral letter, we chatted for a while, he sent me to the lab for blood work, and I left his office with my scrpts. That was 10 months ago. It was a bit of a surprise to me. I had not sought HRT. Of course I had thought about it for years, ever since I realized it could be done, but it sort of arrived for me in a rush. I started slowly and have increased my dose at each endo visit. I am very happy with it. (and me)

Stephie

A bit about the breasts here. Gynecomastia, which is the increased growth of the male breast, is what happens on HRT. In other words, you rarely will get female style breast growth. You just get bigger male pattern breasts. Many MTF transexual women are disapointed with their breast shape. This can be helped by wearing a bra (which is, after all, a garment for lifting and shaping the breast), or by surgery. Many, if not most, MTFs eventually get BA. At this point, the surgeon can produce a very nicely shaped breast which will delight all. I am not sure I will go this route, but the possiblity is there.

Steph

CaptLex
06-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Many FTM transexual women are disapointed with their breast shape. This can be helped by wearing a bra (which is, after all, a garment for lifting and shaping the breast), or by surgery. Many, if not most, FTMs eventually get BA. At this point, the surgeon can produce a very nicely shaped breast which will delight all. I am not sure I will go this route, but the possiblity is there.
I think you mean MtF . . . :confused:

helenr
06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I have been considering writing on this topic, but don't want to come across as any expert-which i am not- or upset others.
I am 60 and have been a transgendered person-always thought I was just a 'closet variety' transvestite for almost the entire period, but now feel transgender might be a better term. I do not plan on SRS. I have suffered from BHP (benigh hypesomething prostate) with the need to get up several times a night, pee is a dribble,etc. I also have had some slight balding at the back of my head.
I tried SPIRO for about a month and had painful urination, need to get up often at night. I sought advice from others at the Doityourself hormones group site (don't condemn until you spend some time reading posts-these gurls know a great deal-probably more than most MDs!) and learned that FINCAR (generic finesteride) that I get from Inhouse Pharmacy in GB (they have a website) immediately helped with the pee problem. It is an anti androgen and had lead to a lot less sexual stress-I am far more relaxed, less irritated at minor annoyances-mellow in a word. I don't think this is 'imagined'. I am not sure what hair loss reduction will occur-I think I see more hair on the bald spot, but I may be guilty of wishful thinking. Fincar is not a dangerous drug, from all that I have researched. My PSA came back as 1.0 which is a very good reading! It hasn't , interestingly, lead to the inability to have an erection, but I don't want to create any censor issues so I won't go further with this.
I have been also using a mild estrogen patch-again, the patch is far less risky than oral meds. read more about this if you are interested.
I guess, in a nutshell, I have lived 80% or so of my life being unhappy in a male shell, and I would like to enjoy some form of feminization the last 20%. I am not worried about all sorts of risks. I think, on this topic, that the use of herbals is a total waste of money and may indeed be risky for men to megadose. I read that males lack receptors that women have and the female herbals-if they aren't just crap-can't do anything for a male producing testosterone. my thoughts. best to you all, helenr

LisaRose
06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Most GRS surgeons adhere to the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care and requirements in order to qualify for GRS...Must have two referral letters from a qualified p-doc or therapist, must be on hormones for up to one year, and must have lived full time as a woman for one year. Many don't agree with these standards, myself included, and I do believe they are in the process of relaxing some of them.

Karen Starlene

Thanks Karen,

I can understand the therapy, not sure I agree with the 'living as a women' part but oh well, I really don't understand the inducement of drugs tho. Very strange. I guess psych's think anyone who come to them needs to be on drugs.

Joy Carter
06-28-2007, 03:25 AM
I have talked posted about my low T levels before here. I got the numbers from my MD. And the scale runs roughly 190 to 790. I'm a 235. So the low T levels aside from future heath risk. eg osteoporosis. My overall attitude has changed. My temperament has improved and I accept things easier. I shave half as much and my hair loss has slowed quite a bit. I don't have the courage to take female hormones. My spouse is owed my heat and soul just as it is naturally. Besides I have read that if you start at an early age, such as a teen your body changes will be more dramatic. The older you get the less apparent they are.

Stephenie S
06-28-2007, 04:36 AM
I think you mean MtF . . . :confused:

YUP! Fixed now. Thanks, Capt.

Stephenie

Scotty
06-28-2007, 07:38 AM
I have to disagree with some of you about not taking them if you do not plan on transitioning.

Some of us just can't do that, and it's sad but it's a fact of life. I've got too much invested in life right now.

But that said, I have feminized my body and I am much more comfortable with it now.

Maybe I'm just a u nique case, yeah I have small breasts and fatty thighs and hips and a bigger backside. I like it. I'm comfortable with myself.

BTW, having gone off the HRT a month ago, lost 20lbs and have toned up - and the results are nice. There is weight gain on the HRT, loss of energy for sure (oh yeah, BIG time for me).....but IMO that's mostly the T blockers causing that.

For some of us, it's the only alternative though.

Joy Carter
06-28-2007, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Scottie;919776]rtable with myself.

There is weight gain on the HRT, loss of energy for sure (oh yeah, BIG time for me).....but IMO that's mostly the T blockers causing that.

I forgot that too. I have lost some of my strenght and stamina. But I tolerate high heat levels and sweat less.

I would like the changes in skin and fat distubution Just wouldn't go down well with my spouse.

JennMW
06-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Chatted with post-op friend of mine about this subject just the other day.

One effect that she noted was that she lost 40 yards from her golf drive as a result of HRT. Now she is down to a mere 220 yards.

She said it was the right course of action for her.

Joy Carter
06-28-2007, 11:45 PM
That's not my experience at all.

If all you take is a T-blocker like spiro, then gynecomastia is the best you can reasonably hope for. But if you take estradiol (or other estrogen), especially in combination with progesterone, you can hope for perfectly normal breasts (although probably on the smallish size). My gyno says that she has many twenty-something patients with breasts that look just like mine currently do. I know of other women that have reported similarly well-developed breasts.

I know abnormal breast development happens, but I don't think it is as prevalent as you think.

Just read on line that most males on fem hormones grow abnormal "tubular" breasts. Most elect to have implants to fill them out properly.

GypsyKaren
06-29-2007, 12:44 AM
There's certainly nothing abnormal about my breasts, I'm very happy with them.

Karen Starlene

AmberTG
06-29-2007, 01:38 AM
For me this a multi-sided question. There's 2 sides to HRT for MTF people. There's the testosterone blocker and there's the female hormone, estrogen.
The T-blocker can be taken without the estrogen if you just want to lower your T production. You could call it "chemical castration". You become more mellow, you lose some muscle tone and strength, your body hair "may" slow it's growth rate and coarsness, it lowers your prostate cancer risk. The down side of less T is a higher risk of osteoporosis, among other things.
If you wish to produce female body development, you must take an estrogen hormone product as well as blocking testosterone. Estrogen has very little effect on the male body if it has to fight testosterone for receptors unless you take high doses of estrogen, a very risky thing health-wise.
There are different forms of estrogen that you can take, some are riskier than others due to their effects on the liver. The patch is probably about the safest method, it bypasses the liver.
As for the why of HRT, I would ask, why would anyone want GRS with a male body, that doesn't make sense to me.
The purpose of MTF HRT is to physically change the body to a more female type, the breasts, the added under-the-skin fat layer that most women have as part of the reproductive system (energy reserves for pregnancy), possibly increased padding on hips and butt, softer skin, slower body hair growth, a generally more female appearance. If you're unwilling to take HRT, you are not a good candidate for GRS, mentally. Like facial hair removal, HRT is one of the "rites of passage" for transition to the female life.
If you're not serious about transition, at least to some large extent, with or without GRS, do not mess with hormones. T-blockers are one thing, and they're used for various different men's health issues, but estrogen is another thing totally. Estrogen can create changes you don't want, and if used improperly, can be very dangerous, even deadly.
As for me, I take spiro, a T-blocker, and a low dose of estradiol to straighten out my mental issues and to slowly feminize my body. I'm quite happy with how the HRT makes me feel on the inside and the physical effects that have occured so far. I'm looking forward to more physical development. I probably will never have GRS for financial reasons, but I can live with that.

ChristineRenee
06-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Good assessment Amber. While I still don't advocate the use of female hormones if you aren't planning to go on to do GRS, I do think that for some of us, myself included, there are some valid reasons for being on them. I started doing them initially just to feminize my body more and discovered over time that it also has been a major plus for me in balancing me out hormonally.

Again...I don't...and won't...advocate taking them solely for the purpose of breast development, but my experience nonetheless, for my purposes and needs, have been very positive over the past 3 and a half years that I've been on them.

Stephenie S
06-29-2007, 07:10 AM
That's not my experience at all.

If all you take is a T-blocker like spiro, then gynecomastia is the best you can reasonably hope for. But if you take estradiol (or other estrogen), especially in combination with progesterone, you can hope for perfectly normal breasts (although probably on the smallish size). My gyno says that she has many twenty-something patients with breasts that look just like mine currently do. I know of other women that have reported similarly well-developed breasts.

I know abnormal breast development happens, but I don't think it is as prevalent as you think.

Perhaps, but I have been studying this for some years. Could you do some research beyond "my gyno says" and past "many twenty somethings"? The earlier one begins, I think, the better the outcome. Many of us are past twenty. I have no idea what yours currently do, and I too know of transwomen who report well-developed breasts. I happen to think mine are quite nice, for example. I was perhaps overstating a definate fact, that many transexual women are disapointed in their breast shape until after BA, in an effort to reduce unrealistic optimism.

The mistaken concept is out there that taking HRT can turn you into a woman. We have seen it posted on this forum before. Many "newbies" have unrealistic expectations. It's just not that easy, especially as we get older. That's all I was trying to say.

Stephie

melissaK
06-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Why do I take hormones. Because I want to.

No one knows the why of this. There's a constellation of rationalizations I can list, and most have been touched upon above. But, bottom line I can't say what makes me want to.

I think its genetic. We are all unique in our expression of DNA. All DNA based lifeforms survive ever changing environments because of these copious genetic variations. Mine happen to include MTF TG/TS traits, and I am thus profoundly unhappy with an otherwise perfectly good male body. Hormones counteract that unhappiness.

And since the 4th of July is right around the corner, let me digress into an analogy about the sanity of me taking hormones.

The joke us Americans play on ourselves is raising ourselves to believe a line from a somewhat hastily written document drafted some 231 years ago which proclaims "All men are created equal." Sure, I know they were talking in the context of trying to undo 18th Century political thought that 'royalty bloodlines' made a man different and special, but in the world of human genetics, it couldn't be more wrong.

"All men created equal," talk about your politicians creating false expectations!

I am different and hormones make me happy. Is this insane on my part? An unsafe waste of my money?

While you debate that, excuse me while I slip down to the corner fireworks stand and turn my hard earned cash into incendiary devices that will be gone in a flash of bright light and smoke before the stroke of midnight on the 4th of July. Unlike buying and taking hormones, I know doing this is OK because my State has declared the devices both "safe" and "sane." :heehee:

Hugs,
'lissa

Teresa Amina
06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
"tubular" breasts

From my reading this is the result of not adding progesterone to the regimen at the appropriate time. Progesterone effects the development of the ductile tissues in the breast and fills things out.
I think the horror stories we read of are the exceptions, not the rule. As has been pointed out transforming these male bodies into something very close to female is dangerous business, not to be taken lightly. But life itself is dangerous, and as someone once said, "no gets out of this life alive". Live first, and live the way you want to, not how others think you ought to.

Stephenie S
06-29-2007, 09:32 PM
In your opinion, Teresa, when is the proper time to add Progesterone?

Stephie

Teresa Amina
06-29-2007, 10:09 PM
In your opinion, Teresa, when is the proper time to add Progesterone?

Stephie

The opinion out there in cyberspace seems to be 6 months after starting estrogen. Too soon and there is essentially a testosterone effect and the E has to work harder. So I read, but as usual YMMV.

Scotty
06-29-2007, 10:31 PM
LOL, nothing tubular or abnormal or male about my breasts either, they are as femme as any woman.

They are small but I went with low doseages of HRT except for a few months, but I'm OK with that.

Danielle Renee
06-30-2007, 01:58 AM
I have to agree with the others who note that hormones seem to affect everyone a little differently. Curiously, the first thing I noticed was something unexpected and very difficult to explain. I began with just estrogen first, and it was like 'coming home'. My body just seemed more comfortable and it seemed to react to the hormone like it just knew what estrogen was for. I explained it to someone else that I felt like I'd been a spy all my life and was finally 'coming in from the cold'.

The second effect I noticed was an increased sensitivity of my nipples and a slight tenderness from the start of growth. I've stayed with a lower does for now because summer is just a difficult time to hide growth. (I'm not ready for full time yet.) In the fall My doctor and I will consider increasing the estrogen.

Just a note on breasts - Everything I've found suggests that T-women tend to have breasts that are a little farther apart and the nipples are more toward the outside. As noted before, progesterone and a good bra will help give a more natural shape.

After being on estrogen for a couple months, I noticed a decrease in migraines. I've also always had some symptoms of ADD, and I noticed I had an increased ability to focus easier and for longer times. But it wasn't a dulled feeling like the ADD drugs produced.

I added spiro a few months after the estrogen and immediately noticed a decrease in my blood pressure. When I began it, I knew it was a possible side effect, but I have had high blood pressure and previously was able to bring it down to the mid 80s with medication. So I watched my BP closely before and during the first spiro. What I found was I dropped over ten points and am now in the low 70s and my doctor is quite pleased.

I also noticed the spiro helped with my prostate. Previously I had used saw palmetto to help with that, but discontinued it when I started the spiro. It was like the problems just vanished.

Of course, I am seeing the beginnings of the changing body shape, and my ladyfriend is considering going back on hormone replacement therapy after seeing what it has done for my skin.:happy: I expect the body hair changes to take a little while longer yet. I'm curious to see what the changes will finally be. At this point, based on the other changes, I'm optimistic.

gretafemme
06-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi, I take estrogen to develop female breasts, hopefully some shape to my hips and rear, and to soften my skin. I am hopeful that it will reduce some body hair, but I am undergoing electrolysis to ensure that I will have a smoothe feminine complexion. As I develop in a more feminine shape, I also note that my emotions have become more intense and my feelings are more at the surface than ever before. My desire is to become as female as possible to match my inner feelings. This is a wonderful journey and I feel great about it. Take good care ladies, regards, Greta

Stephenie S
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Dear Kehleyr,

Sorry hon, I reread my post and realize that I did not intend to come across as so snotty. That really was not my intent. So let me just take the following exerpt from my post and repeat it in an attempt to sound a bit less b****y.

"I too know of transwomen who report well-developed breasts. I happen to think mine are quite nice, for example. I was perhaps overstating a definate fact, that many transexual women are disapointed in their breast shape until after BA, in an effort to reduce unrealistic optimism.

The mistaken concept is out there that taking HRT can turn you into a woman. We have seen it posted on this forum before. Many "newbies" have unrealistic expectations. It's just not that easy, especially as we get older. That's all I was trying to say."

Perhaps I was tired that night. I often come online when I get home from work, and I get home from work around midnight.

Sorry, you were right to object to my attitude.

Lovies,
Stephenie

loriannetucson
07-03-2007, 11:35 PM
If it's helpful to anyone, I will add my 2 cents. I've been on hormones for 4 1/2 months now. I'm up to 8 mg/day of estradiol and 100 mg of spironolactone. I know my endocrinologist was going to up the spiro last week, but I missed the appointment. So far, here are my results, and why I take hormones and antiandrogens:
The first effect for me was that everything quickly felt right. I can't speak for the psychosomatic effects, which obviously should play a factor. But after a few weeks, and especially up to this point, I am more certain that I am TG and that my body really needed the hormones to at least begin to balance things out.
The second more immediate effect was the softening of my skin. Living out here in the Arizona desert, it's easy to get tough skin (literally) when you're in the hot sun every day. Well, now my skin is a little drier b/c of the estro, but it's also very smooth. In fact, when my wife and I are laying down next to each other our bodies are nearly identical in smoothness. It is indeed a wonderful feeling!
Other things I'm still noticing, and am looking forward to more are increased breast size. I'm almost an A cup at 4 months. The sensitivity is definitely there, though the actual pain has diminished. The wife and I have agreed that we're not shooting for immediate breast growth since I'm not out at work or to the local area. So as far as taking progesterone, well, I am prone to depression anyway, so I'm trying to steer clear as much as possible. My thighs have also changed dramatically. All my women's boybrief underwear now fit perfectly if not a little snug. My testicles have shrunken incredibly, to the dismay of my wife. I didn't know some SO's really like them that much :( My body hair has also diminished, and I am very happy with the vellus type hair growing in its place. I have noticed that my receding hairline has not receded any further, and the laser hair removal on my beard is having great results.
Overall, I know of a few people who attempted HRT and hated the results. It appears that they might never had quite the diagnosis of GID. I sincerely hope no one self medicates and just allows doctors to monitor their body's changes.
If you do see the results and are happy, wow! It is like something new, the air you breath, the sunrise, the colors of the sky, everything has changed at least for me.
Good luck and may you be safe in your endeavors should you decide to go down this path!

kathy333
07-04-2007, 07:17 AM
i do have some quistions thow

1. if yoy want to take hormones you have to go to a therypst?

i was going to go to the doc's and tell her i want to grow breast.

now i'm thinking that is not a good ideal. not if i have to go years of therapy, before they say o.k. you can do that.

am i reading this right?

tori-e
07-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Karen is right on the mark with this.

(I've been on HRT for about 1 ½ yrs)

If you just want boobs then HRT is not the way to go. Depending on a number of factors, HRT might not give you any boobs.

HRT is part of the whole package. If you still want use of your guy part, HRT will likely make it less useful, less erect, and will likely make you sterile. (It may not be reversible) If you want to keep that aggressive male edge, you will likely loose that. Your sex drive goes way down. You cry a lot more easily. I find I am less motivated to do some things I was driven toward in the past.

Also some of you might remember a list member who went into liver failure after starting HRT. Don't mess around. Go to a doctor.

For me I knew HRT was the right thing for me because all of the changes were welcome to me. The physical stuff is obvious, but the emotional stuff is much deeper. I am much happier and more relaxed with myself than I was in the male role. And, people that I've known for years tell me they like Terri much more than {guy name}. This is how I know I am on the right track.

After 1 ½ yrs, it seems that I will still need augmentation surgery.

lots of love,
Terri

Karen Starlene

Stacy GG
07-04-2007, 11:15 AM
One note of caution - for some people that are already prone to depression, progesterone (and other progestins) can magnify this effect. So if you struggle with depression, proceed with caution.

I would have to agree with the depression part, I noticed that with higher dose of the progesterine hormone (I'm on birth control) it causes an increase in weight gain & more likelyhood of depression. I used to be on tri-cyclin and had some problems with depression & weight gain & didn't get rid of some of those issues till I changed to tri-cyclin-lo( low dose of progesterine).
So be very careful when taking progesterine on HRT. :)

loriannetucson
07-04-2007, 10:26 PM
You know, Terri, the exact same thing has been happening to me. Even male friends around me tell me I'm not such an ...hole anymore when I'm mad. I tend to maintain my composure in stressful situations, cry much more easily, and for some reason my short attention span has diminished significantly. But overall, the BEST result of HRT for me has been the emotional peace, the well being, the feeling that this was surely something my body was missing all this time. That has, even in just 4 months, been a complete assurance to me that I'm on the right track. And though I know many who decide to "do it themselves," putting chemicals in your body without a doctor's guidance is just asking for trouble.

helenr
07-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I find the serious input from others very reassuring. I think fantasy is great, but when dealing with serious matters like medications, absurb claims, daydreaming is out of place. I am 60, have no plans of any SRS, but am very content with my anti androgen and ,now, estrogen patch regimen. I monitor my blood chemistry and haven't seen any adverse affects. I have developed some pronounced nipples and this does present some concerns if it becomes too visible. I am sure that no other could be as observant as I am self-conscious , but the changes are visible. I feel the anti androgens are important for my prostate problems, benign , and hopefully to continue so, and to kill testosterone. It has been my foe my entire life and it is really nice to have it dormant now. I feel estrogen is valuable for bone strength and better cognitive skills. I am using a low dose patch, so it is debatable what is going on in that department--don't know if there is a blood test to quantify estrogen levels in a male body? I am not clear on how progresterone works with a male body-I read that one might get more rounded breasts, but there may be some negative side effects. It would be tragic to grow breasts and then contract breast cancer! any input re progesterone will be appreciated. best, helenr

princessmichelle
07-07-2007, 01:02 AM
I daydream of taking femininizing hormones because I wish I was female.

I fantasise of developing larger breasts & a more feminine figure--that's the primary reason I wish I could take "hermones" (as I jokingly call estrogen etc). But in reality I'm scared of the consequences.

But I will say with absolute certainty that I do not like shaving, and would love to have a smoother face--and less hair on my chest (though I hardly have much). That would be a GREAT benefit of taking hormones.

Mood stuff I hope for but that scares me, too. Skin maybe.

But less body hair for sure, probably larger breasts, and maybe the other benefits. But so far it is only a daydream.

Michelle

AmberTG
07-07-2007, 11:28 PM
"But I will say with absolute certainty that I do not like shaving, and would love to have a smoother face-"

This comment kinda sticks out for me, I think a lot of people don't realize that hormones will NOT change your beard growth, except maybe to slow it down a bit. The only way to not have facial hair is to have it removed, either by electrolysis or laser treatment. There simply is no other long term way to get rid of facial hair. Body hair, over time, will grow finer and maybe not so much, but it won't completely solve a hairy chest problem, from what I've read. I have no hair on my chest so I can't comment with any certainty on that. It's my arms that are hairy and, so far, I haven't noticed any difference with that. My skin is softer though, although that's a bit hard to quantify.

loriannetucson
07-08-2007, 05:26 AM
I don't take hormones because I want thinner body hair. I don't take hormones just because they make me feel better. I don't take hormones because I want to look like a woman. I take hormones because I absolutely believe in my mind that I was born in the wrong body, and my brain has a "hormone deficiency." I take estrogen so I can finally begin this path that I have chosen. I feminize my body because I don't believe I should have ever been born with a masculine body.
Do they make me feel better? Change my skin? Thin out my hair? Give me a feminine shape? Yes, yup, yup, and yes.... but I have never thought I should take hormones just because I wanted any of those in particular. I hope this helps.

Oh, and about that libido issue. For some reason, my libido comes and goes. It usually is at a standstill. But lately it's a different feeling. Lately my libido has been up. That's all I'll say here in this PG rated forum.

AmberTG
07-08-2007, 11:17 AM
You know Lorrianne, I know the feeling with the libido issue, normally, I have no desire at all but lately it's been a bit stronger, although it comes and goes. I think my body is finally adjusting to the current hormonal conditions. Of course, now I'm thinking seriously about increasing my daily estradiol dose from 2mg to 3mg. It may not do much, but 2mg has been showing some results, so 3mg may be a bit better, or not, who knows. For me it's partly about cost, although Estrofem is pretty reasonable in cost.
I take hormones to make me look the way I should have looked all along. I got the wrong set of twins at birth and they've made a mess of my girlish figure. I am starting to slowly get some of that back though.
As far as facial hair goes, I'd bet that if you started T-blockers at an early enough age, say teenage years, you might never grow a beard in the first place, that would have been cool when I was 16! I didn't have to start shaving until I was about 18-19 so it might have worked for me. The young people these days have much better options then we had.

loriannetucson
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Going from 2 to 3 mg might not necessarily do much if anything for your breasts, depending on your body's set predisposition to the right amount of estrogen. My doctor initially started me out at 4 mg of estradiol a day, and after 2 months bumped me up to 8 mg a day. He said that depending on the blood work, he could raise it all the way up to 12 mg a day, at least for some people. I am finding that 8 is probably ideal, and even the 100 mg a day of spironolactone is quickly blocking a lot of the T production in my body. Then again, I think that perhaps I finding my sweet spot for HRT. Remember, everyone is different. And I do understand that they don't recommend higher oral doses for girls over 40 (or around that age). I'm 35, and I've not noticed any negative side effects from 8 mg a day.

Yes, my breasts are growing, almost an A cup now I think. It's getting more difficult to hide them, especially at work. I'm not going anywhere NEAR progesterone just to round them out. Last thing I need is another depressive episode! Things are going about as well as I'd like them to on the HRT front.

IF ANYTHING.... GET THE LABWORK DONE! Last thing you need is a thrombolic embolism or liver failure. Imagine struggling with being TG all your life, only to now begin taking hormones, then dying BECAUSE OF IT.

That's enough to scare me to the endocrinologist!

Scotty
07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Lori it sounds as if you are right on schedule :)

I've got small 1/2A's or full A's depending on my HRT level....I'm pleased with where they are and I can't hide them in a medium T-shirt so I wear larges and they still point out a small amount...

It's HARD to stay off of though once you do quit - because then you get those guy emotions back...it's emotionally addicting! :)

I didn't lose any of the rounded thighs, hips, or MUCH of my breasts either.
Never thought I'd be happy to see my thighs jiggling LOL

I'm going to stay on a very low maintenance dose, it makes life so much more wonderful...

loriannetucson
07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Hmmm, my wife and I have debated going to a "low maintenance dose." I really don't know if I'd be able to handle the low dosage of estrogen and the testosterone kicking back in. I am a moody person, usually on the crying or emotional side. But when the T kicks in, I know I can be a real uncontrollable butthead. This is something I need to speak about with my doctor. I will be doing so when I meet with him again. That being said, I love the current dosage level and am very content with those levels. Now to just convince the SO that this level is ideal. I know it's my body, but we are one and we are trying to make this work..

AmberTG
07-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Lorianne, you don't have to reduce your spiro dose if you reduce your estrogen dose to a more "maintenance" level, in fact, you don't want to reduce the spiro dose if you don't want the testosterone. Spiro and estrogen do two different things, they work best together for feminizing, but if all you wanted to do was lower your T level, you would only need to take spiro.
Basicly speaking, spiro lowers testosterone levels (and blood pressure) and estrogen causes the body to feminize. If you want to cut back to a maintenance dose, stay on 100mg of spiro and cut back the estrogen to 4mg, maybe even 2mg per day. Your results may vary, but taking half of the estrogen that you're now taking will slow down the changes, but shouldn't stop them entirely.
I actually took just spiro for 2 months before I started on the Estrofem. It took a while to get my T level down, but I can tell by my body that the T level is quite low now.
I've founf that it's hard to get the V.A. system to cooperate with monitoring my HRT, they don't do anything that's not "necessary care", and I haven't convinced the Endo in Milwaukee to prescribe for me yet, thus my low estrogen dose, better safe than dead. I do wish I could accelerate my electrolysis, that would make it easier to "look the part", as I've said before in other posts, I don't want to be the bearded lady.

karla2016
07-14-2007, 09:31 AM
I believe taking a fem hormone is the final frontier. Wearing panties for the first time, buying the first bra, all that stuff is the foreplay or the lobby about all this madness. Remember Neo in Matrix I? Taking the red or blue pill choice? Well that's it. When we take [any way] hormones for the very first time that's the ultimate frontier. The bigger decision ever. No coming back. No return point. The result is irrelevant. Because we don't know what the final result will be. It is the act itself of taking the magic potion into our bodies.
I did it and I am feeling great without regrets.

lynn27
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
I don't take hormones because I want thinner body hair. I don't take hormones just because they make me feel better. I don't take hormones because I want to look like a woman. I take hormones because I absolutely believe in my mind that I was born in the wrong body, and my brain has a "hormone deficiency." I take estrogen so I can finally begin this path that I have chosen. I feminize my body because I don't believe I should have ever been born with a masculine body.
Do they make me feel better? Change my skin? Thin out my hair? Give me a feminine shape? Yes, yup, yup, and yes.... but I have never thought I should take hormones just because I wanted any of those in particular. I hope this helps.

Oh, and about that libido issue. For some reason, my libido comes and goes. It usually is at a standstill. But lately it's a different feeling. Lately my libido has been up. That's all I'll say here in this PG rated forum.

I sort of feel the same way. From that first moment I learned the word transgenderism I have been on and off them for the last 32 years, but because of relationships and the macho world of work I've been off more than on. It has alway seemed like the right thing to do. Last two years or so have been a blessing. [thank goodness the postal service has easied up on overseas stuff] I like what they do for my body but I like what they do for me, my mind.

Lori anne, read your next post and you shouldn't have a T problem if you are taking an anti-T such as spiro'. once you are on them you can back off on the E without to much rebounding. Good luck.

Lisa Maren
07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi Nicole

I decided to start on hormones because on a scale of 1 (male) to 100 (female) I am a 75 for gender identity and social role identity. I'm at least a 60 for body gender but I suspect strongly that I am more than a 60.

I talked to my doctor, a good psychiatrist who's been specializing in this field for the last 27 years, about taking hormones as a next step in exploring my feelings about my body and she said it was appropriate to do that and that we will be talking as time goes on to see how I'm feeling. I was careful with this; I double checked at the end of the last appointment (which was when I got started) to make sure that using hormones for my purposes is appropriate.

To give you a bit more info, I've had my limbs shaven for a while now (and I love it). I've painted my nails, begun growing my hair, had my ears pierced and, short of electrolysis, hormones felt like the right next step for me. My doctor agreed it was a good next step, so here I am. Just last night, I was feeling very emotional (mostly depressed) and I don't know if just six days on the hormones is enough to get that started, but I cherish my emotions anyway (I simply can not imagine this life without feeling, especially as a musician/songwriter).

Hugs,
Lisa

tall_brianna
07-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Better question is why would a doctor/psychiatrist prescribe them?

After decades (maybe centuries) of trying to change the mind to match the external gender, the medical profession has given up trying. Changing the body to match the mind's reality is easier.

-b