PDA

View Full Version : CD Sitcom Ideas

Valerie Nicole
06-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Okay, some of you might remember my idea to write a CD sitcom...well, I tried it, I even developed a setting some characters and the first few minutes of a teleplay, but it just wasn't very funny. Now I want to try again, but this time I would like more input. My key question right now is a matter of setting, though any other advice you can offer would be appreciated as well.

The setting of the last one was a specialty bar for CDs/TGs/TSs, etc. I thought of it as kind of like a Cheers for crossdressers. I liked the setting, and it is not the reason I failed to write the sitcom, but in thinking this over again, I came up with another idea: a combination boutique/salon that specifically caters to CDs/TGs/TSs, etc.

Other than these two ideas, I have nothing, but if anyone else has an idea for a setting, I would be glad to hear that before I give this another go.

Kate Simmons
06-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Why not make the salon a "given" in the storyline and just make the situations other things that happen in daily life and give it a TG "twist"? In other words, they get in comical situations in everyday life but are based in the salon or botique. We know they are TG but the interaction with people of all types is the main story.

Valerie Nicole
06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Actually, Sal, that was my idea all along. To not make the sitcom about "crossdressing" as much as it is simply about people who crossdress (or are TG/TS).

KatieZ
06-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Home

And done from an accepting SO's point of view.

How about two sisters, the younger one just finds out her husband or boyfriend is CD and asks her older sister for advice. The older sister reveals her hubby is also CD. A lot of facts could be written into this and the two families can interact as the main characters with friends, neighbors or other family members involved at times.

Tedi
06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Other, An area like an airport. You can have a bar and a boutique. Or any other venue you'd like.

Holly
06-27-2007, 11:26 PM
How about "Green Acres for Cross Dressers?" I can see a CD Mr. Haney already! And the hapless farm hand! Lisa could help Oliver become the farmer's wife he has always dreamed of. Of course there could be some interesting subplots involving Arnold the pig, too. Actually the original show had a bit of a cross dresser on it in the part of Ralph Monroe played by Mary Grace Canfield.

Valerie Nicole
06-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Another idea I had, was rather than focusing on a place that CDers frequent, I could instead focus on a singe crossdressing character, and the people in their life. That way I could incorporate a bar, a boutique, a salon, and any other places I feel like writing into the show.

Alice B
06-28-2007, 12:09 AM
I like the boutique/beauty salon. Have some regular feamle employees and one CD as the beautician. Mix regular females and couple of CD's that frequent the place and one Archie Bunker type customer that is a regular. The write snappy dialogue about life, views of life and views on CDing (from both sides). This would appeal to mainstream society and the CD community. Through the characters you develope and understanding of what and who a CD is and make them loved by all.:drink:

Valerie Nicole
06-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Now I'm kind of thinking of an almost crossdressing version of Seinfeld...a group of friends, one or more of them is a CD...and they just kind of hang out wherever and do whatever and talk about anything...sometimes from a CD perspective, sometimes not. They have their regular hangouts like the bar, the boutique, and the salon, but its not about the locations as much as the characters.

The question is...how many characters, and how many of them should be CDs, TGs, and TS?

Edit: I think I've actually found a good mix of characters and a very workable premise. It is almost from my direct perspective, which will help as far as realism goes.

Sheri 4242
06-28-2007, 01:35 AM
. . . not make the sitcom about "crossdressing" as much as it is simply about people who crossdress (or are TG/TS).

What about a college campus? The possibilities are endless . . . A CDing professor, a CD constantly trying to get into a sorority, etc. Sounds like you are well on your way with another storyline that is becoming well-developed, but ths is just another thought -- maybe it could be a spin-off -- lol!!!

Fab Karen
06-28-2007, 02:12 AM
How about "Green Acres for Cross Dressers?" I can see a CD Mr. Haney already! And the hapless farm hand!
"the chores!
the stores!"

Fab Karen
06-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Three's Company the remake: Jack Tripper's a crossdresser. Mr. Furley finds something intriguing about that girl who moved in with the other two.:D

Chantelle CD
06-28-2007, 02:41 AM
I think if you do a salon or a bar thing, it will get old fast, the Seinfeld thing is a good idea, or how about a family, husband wife, a few kids, he is in closet still, first show is about him getting had, other shows are about him, meeting people, first outings, new forms, ect, lots of stuff you can make shows about with this. :) ohhh judgmental neighbors, that are nosy, LoL

Teresa Amina
06-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Twins, one gg the other cd/tg, who get mistaken for each other would be good characters, could work with whatever situation is the main theme.

Karren H
06-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Story of a lovely Lady... who was raising 3 daughters on her own.... Well almost daughters... daughter want-a-be's lol

The TG Brady Bunch!!!

Karren

Marla S
06-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Seinfeld like.
With identical twins (one TG) like Teresa suggested.
Both married or having close friends. One of which should have a red-neckish soul, desparately trying to become more open minded but fails all the time.

I'd focus the plot on the absurdity of the "normals", which is a constant struggle for the CD character.
I'd try to avoid CD stereotypes.

JenniferR771
06-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Alice B, I like your ideas.

Also how about putting the bar and salon in a hotel. Plenty of rooms and a constant flow of guests (guest stars). Hotel could be unique and fascinating in itself.

bobi jean
06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
This entire forum is as good a sinerio as one could imagine.. Real life CD's, TV's, TS's etc....etc.... roght here, not to mention the stories, happy, funny, sad, mean, good and bad, REAL.

marie354
06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
A bar or salon would be fine, but why not a grocery store or dress shop? Wouldn't they be just as good a setting?
Sit-Com's are about people in comical situations which could be anywhere from your own back yard to on stage at the Improv, with your best friend or the family pet..
I don't think the setting makes as much of a difference as the characters and their roles.
:hugs:

KandisTX
06-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Throughout history, television has crossed many barriers that were "taboo". Crossdressing has been one of them as well that has been crossed. "Bosom Buddies" with Tom Hanks and Peter Scilaria (sp) was a HUGE success back when it was on. Fox television tried to bring one out a few years ago about a sports writer that got fired and then got the job as an advice columnist but had to dress in drag to get the job. It flopped before the end of the first season.

My opinion on this is that in order for the show to be a success, you would have to have the correct writers, possibly Tgirls, in place to do the job. There are many shows where CDing is used as a basis for Humor, or as a way for somene to sneak into somewhere they should not be. If you are trying to get a show going where CDing is one of the key elements of the show, you have GOT to have decent writers and a great storyline.

Boutique? possibly, but would be too cliche'
Bar? Maybe something like a CHEERS thing where one or both of the waitresses are Tsisters
Hotel? Night manager is a CD?
There are endless possibilities out there and truly any of them would be a favorite in my house, if they were well written.

Kandis:love:

Lissa Stevens
06-28-2007, 09:29 AM
How about a CD version of the Sopranos. Toni Soprano is the head of a crossdressing crime family. These CD's you don't want to cross. The hit men would whack you then go enfemme and disappear into the crowd.

CheriTV2006
06-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I think the "group of friends-a-la-Seinfeld is a good central base. But to go off course here for something different, how about something like the "A-Team" theme with same slight humor. This group of tg's run a cd makeover salon, however they moonlight for for hire for some interesting jobs after hours. I've always dug the A-Team and Mission Impossible thing. CheriTV.

Valerie Nicole
06-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Wow...overwhelming responses so far. I had developed some characters last night, but now I think I'm going to make some slight alterations. What I had last night was a CDing main character, who was loosely based on myself. Still mostly closeted, and all that jazz. I also had given him an older brother who was one of his main confidants and another main character of the show. I also had written in a woman, the same age as the older brother, who is the CD's other confidant, and the three of them have been best friends since childhood.

Now I'm thinking of actually making the girl and the CD related, though not necessarily twins because I think that might be a bit too cheesy or hard to believe. Maybe they can all just be brother and sister...and my goal will be to make the CD character seem more normal than the other two. That is, I will exaggerate (to an extent) the stereotype of "normal" in the other two characters, with the CD character being the voice of reason.

That's my concept...what does everybody think?

Joy Carter
06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I think the salon is a great idea. It is looked as a female only domain and would add allot to the plot line.
But I would keep the Sienfeld slant to it. An older appartment situation with interaction with neighbors would add more flexabilty.
Is this to be comedy ? Or are you adding drama to it ?
This is an opportunity for us to have both sides of the issue to be told.

Valerie Nicole
06-28-2007, 11:01 AM
I think the salon is a great idea. It is looked as a female only domain and would add allot to the plot line.
But I would keep the Sienfeld slant to it. An older appartment situation with interaction with neighbors would add more flexabilty.
Is this to be comedy ? Or are you adding drama to it ?
This is an opportunity for us to have both sides of the issue to be told.

I think comedy would go over easier than drama. The drama side, I think, would only really appeal to a minority...that is, people who can relate to the problems the characters experience. Comedy, on the other hand, everyone can relate to. I also think that my main goal in writing this is to make the crossdressing into no big deal. This is why I think the Seinfeld angle would be great for a CD sitcom, because on one hand we can have characters make no big deal of it, and on the other hand, we can show how stupid (and in the case of the show, funny) it is to actually make a big deal.

And I decided I'm going to go with all the settings. The salon and boutique will be main hangouts for the main character and his sister. The bar will be a hangout for all three of them, and of course, one or more of their apartments will be an important setting as well.

battybattybats
06-28-2007, 05:45 PM
I'd suggest adding a support group to the mix! It would be a good space to show some drama and to humanise us. And having a new CDing guest star almost every week (a CD salon or openly CD friendly salon would work with this) to really drive home to the public how common we are. It should have an emphasis on diversity, showing the broad spectrum of humanity, sexuality, culture, of differing viewpoints. It should show bigotry and its nasty consequences, denial and also the grey areas of some of the moral dillemas we find ourselves in.

It should show vulnerability and strength, compassion and the virtues of tolerance and acceptence.

Kitty Sue
06-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I think something similar to Frasier would be good. But the CD/TS or whatever could be struggling with coming out of the closet etc.

Alice B
06-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Whatever the setting. It would be the writing that counts, along with good actors. Let us not forget Klinger from MASH. I'm thirsty today.:drink::drink:

Kitty Sue
06-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Alice your right. We should all pay homage to Clinger. She was a real beauty.:love:

michellebesweet
06-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Lets get real and get to real life. Should be an office or home setting. Its got to be real. Dealing with real life issues. We all don't do bars and salons. I would say if a poll was done, lets see who goes to bars are salons, vs. real places.

Stephanie_Wish
06-30-2007, 11:23 AM
What about at an airport - possibly as workers in the in-flight hospitality environment, involving gg & cd stewardesses?

Hugs
Stephanie

(PS - I may have a few ideas if you so require...)

cd_lisaplaything
07-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I think comedy would go over easier than drama. The drama side, I think, would only really appeal to a minority...that is, people who can relate to the problems the characters experience. Comedy, on the other hand, everyone can relate to. I also think that my main goal in writing this is to make the crossdressing into no big deal. This is why I think the Seinfeld angle would be great for a CD sitcom, because on one hand we can have characters make no big deal of it, and on the other hand, we can show how stupid (and in the case of the show, funny) it is to actually make a big deal.

And I decided I'm going to go with all the settings. The salon and boutique will be main hangouts for the main character and his sister. The bar will be a hangout for all three of them, and of course, one or more of their apartments will be an important setting as well.

I think you're right on the money, although I never really got into Seinfeld as I thought all the characters were just way too neurotic. Seriously, all New Yorkers aren't really like that, are they??

A great comedy series you might draw inspiration from was SOAP, starring Billy Crystal, whose chartacter was gay [quite taboo back then]. The interraction with the "straight" characters was fantastic. It really poked fun at "normal" folks' insecurities and misconceptions.

Drucilla
07-04-2007, 08:13 AM
You have the perfect story line right here on the forum !
The story could be called "Coal Miner's Daughter" , be located in the hills of West Virginia and with a featured charter named "Karren" who fearlessly goes about shopping, saving us from foreign oil interest , playing hockey and doing whatever people do in West Virginia ( will that one to your imagination) . Material for new episodes seems to be endless. It's about time Karren get some recognition for the role model she has become for many of us!!

Jocelyn Quivers
07-04-2007, 08:29 AM
The Crossdressing Odd Couple- I know this is not a really original idea but it still sounds good. Both characters are Crossdressers. One is basicaly a slob. She leaves her shoes cluttered throughout the house, her pantyhose constantly hanging in the shower, and on the floor, her closet is a disorganized mess.

The other is an anal retentive neat freak, she hates clutter and filth, her closet is very organized. She has to move in with the slob because her wife had enough of the crossdresing and kicked her out the house. See what happens in the lives of these 2 completely different crossdressers. You could also add a bar and salon as different locations for characters. Jocelyn