PDA

View Full Version : Where to get my nails done?

StacyNelson
06-30-2007, 06:49 AM
I have been taking care of my nails for some time. For a guy I have some some very nice nails but I want to grow them some more and go to a salon for a real treatment, including colored nail polish.

My problem is where to go?

I'm looking for a CD friendly place in western CT ot eastern NY.

Any suggestions.

Hugs,

Stacy

Sedona
06-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Pretty much any place you go to should be CD friendly. I have only experience with a couple of places, many pedicures and a couple of manicures w/french acrylics and haven't had problems. Still, the occasional snickering has been reported by girls on this site before. Unless you get a concrete recommend, I'd just hit the phone and call your first couple of choices saying, "I'm a guy and want ____ done to my nails, are you okay with that?" The pause or no-pause on the other end of the phone will give you your answer. Then, go on an off hour to avoid the crowd.

DanaJ
06-30-2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10730
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10083

Stephenie S
06-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Dear Stacy,

Any nail salon will be CD friendly. There is no sex involved in getting your nails done. Nails are just the same for both genders. You don't have to call them, unless it's a salon that only takes apointments. Just walk in. There should be several at any large mall. And many at smaller strip malls near where you live. They ALL want your money and they ALL want your business and They ALL would just LOVE to do your nails. Remember, businesses HAVE to sell their products/services in order to stay in business. They HAVE to. Otherwise they go under. The nail tech doesn't care what sex you are! She does nails. Men's nails, women's nails, she doesn't care. For Heaven's sake, hon, why would she? She just does nails. And you may not know this, but many men get their nails done. When I was growing up, back in the days of barber shops, every barber shop had a maniculist on duty all the time and you got your nails done as you got a haircut. It's not as common among the men who work with their hands, but many, many, businessmen who depend on their appearance, get their nails done on a regular basis. Where ever do you think they go? They go to a nail salon! (DUH!)

Now, of course, when you go in and sit down at the little work station, the tech will start to do your nails as a guy. That is, if you show up as a guy. So you will have to tell her that you don't want them cut short. And you will have to pick out a color because otherwise she will just put on a clear coat. So you have to TALK with her. But many guys do this. It's not hard. And it's FUN!!

Lovies,
Stephenie

DanaJ
06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Sedona is correct, call ahead and check if you feel nervous about getting your nails done including polish.

And Stephanie? That is not true, not ALL nail techs are CD friendly, or necessarily will automatically want to do polish on a guy. Why? Well, I agree that most beauty pros are really open to a lot of things, but there are still individual predudices and ignorances about guys who want to do femme things. People vary, you cannot say that everyone will do the same thing every time.

I have personally run into this several times - I was getting pedicures at one salon, I only found out later that several of the girls there thought I was a "freak" for getting my toes polished. I called ahead at one place and was told that they were not interested in doing a female manicure on a male customer.

It does happen - I admit I think those experiences are few and far between, but you simply cannot say ALL and ANY. I have had 3 GREAT nail techs over the last 3 years who were completely accepting and loved th eidea that I liked to get my nails done - but I just wanted to say that there are still some negative ideas out there....

Good luck Stacey, and please read my two links posted above. And please come back and let us know how you came out finding a nail tech :)

Jamie001
06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Stephenie is correct. Any nail salon will do your nails. I always go in drab and always leave with either a French pedicure or bright red toenails. I wear sandals all year round so that everyone can see that I have my toenails done like a girl. There is nothing that will make you feel more like a girl then having red toenails and wearing sandals so that everyone can see your pretty toes. Also I believe that everyone that sees my toes understands that part of me is really a girl.

Dear Stacy,

Any nail salon will be CD friendly. There is no sex involved in getting your nails done. Nails are just the same for both genders. You don't have to call them, unless it's a salon that only takes apointments. Just walk in. There should be several at any large mall. And many at smaller strip malls near where you live. They ALL want your money and they ALL want your business and They ALL would just LOVE to do your nails. Remember, businesses HAVE to sell their products/services in order to stay in business. The HAVE to. Otherwise they go under. The nail tech doesn't care what sex you are! She does nails. Men's nails, women's nails, she doesn't care. For Heaven's sake, hon, why would she? She just does nails. And you may not know this, but many men get their nails done. When I was growing up, back in the days of barber shops, every barber shop had a maniculist on duty all the time and you got your nails done as you got a haircut. It's not as common among the men who work with their hands, but many, many, businessmen who depend on their appearance, get their nails done on a regular basis. Where ever do you think they go? They go to a nail salon! (DUH!)

Now, of course, when you go in and sit down at the little work station, the tech will start to do your nails as a guy. That is, if you show up as a guy. So you will have to tell her that you don't want them cut short. And you will have to pick out a color because otherwise she will just put on a clear coat. So you have to TALK with her. But many guys do this. It's not hard. And it's FUN!!

Lovies,
Stephenie

Stephenie S
06-30-2007, 09:51 PM
So, there is some difference of opinion here, isn't there?

I will still maintain that any nail salon that wants to stay in business will want to do your nails. It would be crazy to turn away a paying customer. I do note that the one place you say made fun of you behind your back STLL did your nails, didn't they? They were happy to take your money for services rendered. As long as we consider what we do to be shameful and wrong, others will have a hard time accepting our behavior.

It's NOT wrong to get a manicure. You have EVERY right to paint your nails ANY D**MN color you want. Starting off your relationship with a nail salon by "asking" if they will please do your nails, is to admit to yourself and to them that there MUST be SOMETHING wrong with you. NOT, NOT, NOT! There is NOTHING wrong with you. You are a paying customer. They are selling a service. Nowhere does it say on the sign, "Nail salon for GGs only". . . . . JUST WALK IN.

I would be interested in hearing from ANYONE who was asked to leave a nail salon because they were not a GG. I'll bet there are precious few, if any.

OK, OK, I admit the possiblility that somewhere, someone, sometime, might have a problem with it. There are an awful lot of people out there. But really, that's not the way to go about it. Call ahead if you think you must. Make an apointment. Then they will be waiting for you. I guess it can't hurt. Just seems to me like admitting defeat before you even get started.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Jamie001
06-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Stephanie,

Thankyou for your post. You are 100 percent correct that we have to stop acting like we are doing something that is illegal!! We have every right to get our nails or hair done. If we are turned-away we can sue the salon for discrimination. Girls, please, stop acting like you are doing something wrong by getting your nails pedicures and painted. Sorry for the motherly tough-love, but sometimes the girls here need it. :2c:

Jamie :-) :love:

I will still maintain that any nail salon that wants to stay in business will want to do your nails. It would be crazy to turn away a paying customer. I do note that the one place you say made fun of you behind your back STLL did your nails, didn't they? They were happy to take your money for services rendered. As long as we consider what we do to be shameful and wrong, others will have a hard time accepting our behavior.

It's NOT wrong to get a manicure. You have EVERY right to paint your nails ANY D**MN color you want. Starting off your relationship with a nail salon by "asking" if they will please do your nails, is to admit to yourself and to them that there MUST be SOMETHING wrong with you. NOT, NOT, NOT! There is NOTHING wrong with you. You are a paying customer. They are selling a service. Nowhere does it say on the sign, "Nail salon for GGs only". . . . . JUST WALK IN.

I would be interested in hearing from ANYONE who was asked to leave a nail salon because they were not a GG. I'll bet there are precious few, if any.

OK, OK, I admit the possiblility that somewhere, someone, sometime, might have a problem with it. There are an awful lot of people out there. But really, that's not the way to go about it. Call ahead if you think you must. Make an apointment. Then they will be waiting for you. I guess it can't hurt. Just seems to me like admitting defeat before you even get started.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Country girl
06-30-2007, 11:46 PM
OK OK this might seem a little biased, but very true ANY and I do mean any salon that is run by Viet Namiese people will do a mans nails without batting an eyelash. I know, I have been to many different salons that were run by viet namiese and not one of them minded having a man in there. hope this helps. :hugs: CG GG

DanaJ
07-01-2007, 07:04 AM

I will still maintain that any nail salon that wants to stay in business will want to do your nails. It would be crazy to turn away a paying customer.Stephanie - what do you think the ratio of male/female customers to a nail salon is? I would guess at best 95:5 female to male, more likely 99:1 female to male. Do you really think that turning one male customer away is going to send them into bankrupcy??

I do note that the one place you say made fun of you behind your back STLL did your nails, didn't they? They were happy to take your money for services rendered. As long as we consider what we do to be shameful and wrong, others will have a hard time accepting our behavior.Of course they did, the one girl I got my pedicures from became my friend and was very accepting - it was the others there (all female, including the owner) that thought what I did was freakish. I did not feel comfortable after that. And isn't that what getting a pedicure is all about? Being relaxed and enjoying the experience? You see, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree - I am not one to shove someone's face into something that they don't feel comfortable about, if they are comfortable with it then I am too :)

It's NOT wrong to get a manicure. You have EVERY right to paint your nails ANY D**MN color you want. Starting off your relationship with a nail salon by "asking" if they will please do your nails, is to admit to yourself and to them that there MUST be SOMETHING wrong with you. NOT, NOT, NOT! There is NOTHING wrong with you. You are a paying customer. They are selling a service. Nowhere does it say on the sign, "Nail salon for GGs only". . . . . JUST WALK IN.Agreed 100%, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, YOU do have every right to have your nails painted if you want. But, you cannot MAKE someone be comfortable with it with the attitude you have - that is, I will MAKE you paint my nails whether you like it or not!! My way is to go in, be charming and friendly and show them that guys who like to have their nails polished are friendly, cool and fun guys to work on - not to be confrontational and make a scene IF the nail tech feels uncomfortable.

Notice that the thread starter Stacey has never been before, I just don't see what is wrong with doing what Sedona suggested, call ahead and check. It would put Stacey at ease knowing what to expect going in.

Personally, I would never go to any salon or nail place where I could just walk in, I would want a place that works by appointments only. I just don't get how you can equate "defeat" by calling ahead to make an appointment??? Wow....

I would be interested in hearing from ANYONE who was asked to leave a nail salon because they were not a GG. I'll bet there are precious few, if any.What's the matter, my example wasn't good enough for ya? ;)

Stephanie,

Thankyou for your post. You are 100 percent correct that we have to stop acting like we are doing something that is illegal!! We have every right to get our nails or hair done. If we are turned-away we can sue the salon for discrimination. Girls, please, stop acting like you are doing something wrong by getting your nails pedicures and painted. Sorry for the motherly tough-love, but sometimes the girls here need it. :2c:

Jamie :-) :love:Jamie - no one here has said that anything we do is wrong or illegal, or that anyone here acts like it is - jeez, where did you read that???? Yeah, good idea - sue somewhere for something like that. I agree that if every salon turned away CDs, then that might work, but instead when I find a place that is not willing, I vote with my wallet and find another place to give my money to. They are happy, I am happy, the new place is happy to have my business - everyone wins.

LOL Jamie - is the motherly tough-love for me? Perhaps you should try researching my time here - I am the one that goes to salons once (sometimes more) per week, and have been over 200 times in the past few years. I have dated nail techs, worked at a day spa and been best friends with a salon owner. You know, I think I know the system pretty well now, and I have a really good understanding how beauty professionals think ;)

I want to say this again for the last (hopefully) time - I have not said there is anything wrong with going to get your nails done as a male, or as a CD, or anything else. I do it all the time :) I just don't understand the resistance to doing a simple thing and calling ahead to make an appointment, if for nothing ekse the peace of mind for a new person going in for the first time....

OK OK this might seem a little biased, but very true ANY and I do mean any salon that is run by Viet Namiese people will do a mans nails without batting an eyelash. I know, I have been to many different salons that were run by viet namiese and not one of them minded having a man in there. hope this helps. :hugs: CG GGCountry Girl GG, how can you say that ANY salon run by Vietnamese people will do a guy;s nails, and then admit that you have not been to every single salon. I just don't believe that you can make a generalization for every single person based on a few experiences.

I would like to add a word of caution here also, be very careful when going to these corner discount salons. Many times the nail techs are not all licensed, and sometimes they use banned materials (MMA acrylic) and improperly use tools (not sanitised between clients, use drills on natural nails). One warning sign is to check to see if they are wearing masks when they do nails.

I am very passionate about good nails and good nail care, sorry everyone if my posts have gone on too long, but I just wanted to clear up a few things :hugs:

Hope this helps....

Wendy me
07-01-2007, 07:35 AM
like Dana said your best to call a head and check it out .... the salon is going to respect the comfort of the costumers that go all the time as this is how they make their liven .... and 1 CD is not going to change that for them ... so respect all involved and call a head ....

Jamie001
07-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I agree about calling-ahead to make an appointment, but when you call, don't ask them if they will "paint your nails". Painting of the nails is part of the manicure/pedicure service and therefore you don't have to ask if they will do it. If you make the mistake of asking if they will paint your nails, then it is like you are admitting that you are doing something wrong, which is not true! Just go in and pick a color like all of the other girls go.

Does that make sense?

Jamie :2c:

like Dana said your best to call a head and check it out .... the salon is going to respect the comfort of the costumers that go all the time as this is how they make their liven .... and 1 CD is not going to change that for them ... so respect all involved and call a head ....

DanaJ
07-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Ummm - I don't think so. I can tell you from personal experience of knowing many nail techs (and you feel free to ask yours) that if a male calls to make a mani/pedi appointment, they are not going to automatically assume that he wants colored polish - as it is not part of the male mani/pedi procedure.

Look online at any salon/day spa's services - if they explain what is involved in each service, female mani/pedis will say polish, male will not.

Wendy me
07-01-2007, 12:54 PM
if you want to know nails or nail techs ask Dana .... trust me she has had a nail or two done ......

Sedona
07-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Wow is right,

I just checked out the responses, and I'd agree with Dana wholeheartedly on this. If folks want to go all Stonewall on anybody who they think might have looked at them funny at a manicurists table, that's their business. But, the original question dealt with a bit of shyness from a first-timer. Nothing wrong with making sure the experience is a pleasant one, by taking a few precautions.

As far as the Vietnamese manicurist comments. Unless you know every Vietnamese nail tech (and speak fluent Vietnamese BTW), it's not alright to generalize.

Stephenie S
07-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Well, my goodness. I certainly did not mean to start all this controversy.

The point I was trying to make (and I was trying to make it for the benifit of our slightly timid newbie), is that there is not a special group of nail salons that are "CD friendly". My point was to stress to her that you do not need to learn the secret list of "CD friendly" salons in CT. My point was to teach her that MOST (perhaps I should have said most) nail salons will not care a whit what sex you are. So, there is is, dear. MOST nail salons will be happy to take your money.

I am old enough to be grandmother to some of you. I have been doing this for years and years. When I say something it is usually said from years and years of experience. I have been to nail salons all over the country and I have NEVER had any problem with any of them.

I do absolutely agree with DanaJ about the issue of cleanliness in salons. It is a very important matter as many infections can be transmitted by poor hygiene. And there are definately some salons out there that do NOT practice good hygiene.

I think that I did end my post above by saying to go ahead and call if you like. It certainly can't hurt. So, Dana, lets encourage our newbie to call first. Just let's let her know that she really doesn't have to shop around for the special "CD friendly" one. Let's just let her know that most of them will be happy to have her business and that her experience will be a enjoyable one that she will be able to repeat over and over in the future.

Lovies,
Stephenie

DanaJ
07-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Stephenie, I agree :) I just didn't want Stacy to have a bad experience her first time, so that's why I was a bit cautious for her.

And I agree that the majority of beauty pros (including nail techs) are open to everyone having nice nails - so with all that being said, I hope that Stacy finds a good salon and a great nail tech and has the time of her life!

My last warning to Stacy is, be careful - nice nails can be addictive! I know, I am a nail junkie myself :)

Stephenie S
07-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks Dana. You're a sweetie.

Jamie001
07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Dana,

What does it matter if he wants colored polish or not? Are you saying the nail techs budget less time for male manicures/pedicures because they don't have to take the additional time to paint the nails? Therefore, what is the difference from the perspective of the nail tech? If the answer is that the "nail tech needs to allow more time to paint the nails that would not normally be assumed, then your answer makes perfect sense. Otherwise there is no reason to mention the colored nail polish if it is not going to be more effort for the nail technician? Does that make sense?

Ummm - I don't think so. I can tell you from personal experience of knowing many nail techs (and you feel free to ask yours) that if a male calls to make a mani/pedi appointment, they are not going to automatically assume that he wants colored polish - as it is not part of the male mani/pedi procedure.

Look online at any salon/day spa's services - if they explain what is involved in each service, female mani/pedis will say polish, male will not.

Jamie001
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
I have also been having pedicures in male mode at many nail salons over the years and have been always made to feel welcome and have always had great conversation with the nail techs and the other customers. Please note that there is a difference here. I am in male mode except for my long highlighted hair, earrings, and red toenails. Since I don't try to pass as a woman and don't fully really crossdress, (I am a free-styler) there may be prejudices that come into play that I don't experience because I'm not fully crossdressed.

if you want to know nails or nail techs ask Dana .... trust me she has had a nail or two done ......

DanaJ
07-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Dana,

What does it matter if he wants colored polish or not? Are you saying the nail techs budget less time for male manicures/pedicures because they don't have to take the additional time to paint the nails? Therefore, what is the difference from the perspective of the nail tech? If the answer is that the "nail tech needs to allow more time to paint the nails that would not normally be assumed, then your answer makes perfect sense. Otherwise there is no reason to mention the colored nail polish if it is not going to be more effort for the nail technician? Does that make sense?*sigh* It matters not to me one whit who wants polish and who doesn't....

I asked one of my nail techs, she said that although the service is the same length for men and women, she (and others) usually spend the time for polishing nails in giving men a slightly longer hand/foot/lower leg massage.

I just don't understand why you assume the vast overwhelming majority of men in general (and a super small percentage of them who would get a mani/pedi, and an even smaller percentage of those are CDs) would get polish, or why a nail tech would automatically assume that a male wants polish? Yes, believe it or not, most men and women's services are different in most salons.

kathy gg
07-02-2007, 08:29 AM
wow....what a *hot* thread. I think Sedona and Dana J gave some great advice for a newbie.

I have been friends with several nail techs who have some knowledge about the trans stuff....truthfully, one of my friends who is actually very tg friendly said she would always make sure if a guy booked who wanted colored polish she would make sure to book him when other clients were not around. She said the reality was that even though she was understanding and had no qualms about it, she knew that it woudl bother the more conservative older female clients and possibly make them uncomfortable. ANd given that many men come once and never come back {due to nervousness} she wanted to ultimatly keep her female regulars who comen every two weeks happiest. Can't blame that from a money standpoint.

Bottom line, better to be informed and prepared than not when booking an appointment. getting nails or any spa service done is supposed to be fun and relaxing, I personally {if I was a guy} would be very uncomfortable if I was given the evil eye by some narrow minded granny stuck in the dark ages while trying to enjoy me free femme time.

JoAnnDallas
07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
One thing to look for in selecting a nail salon, is the wording on the front of the place. It it says men are welcomed, then they have no problem with men. When we moved from Plano to East Dallas, I had to find a new place. Since nail salons are all over the place, I did some looking at various places.

1. So they offer services to men
2. Are they busy
3. What hours do they offer.

The one I selected is usually very busy. They do offer walk-ins but it's best to do a appointment if you wan the same person. Also being busy means they have a good clientel and repeat business. I already had acrylic nails, so I got a manicure from 2-3 of the ladies. Then I decided to use a perticular lady, made a appointment for both pedicure and manicure. When she saw my painted toes, she had no problem with them. Now I get pedicure/toe nail polish/manicure/fill/finger nail polish/eyebrow waxed once a month. Also none of the customers seem to care if I'm walking around with polished toes. LOL

Jamie001
07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
No one should care if you are walking around with painted toes, and if they do, it is their problem and not anyone else's'. If some granny were giving me the evil eye, I wouldn't be uncomfortable at all and would lust ignore her. He have every right to request the services that we request and should not allow anyone to intimidate us. Br very proud of who you are and what you do and remember that it is not your problem if some narrow-minded person has a problem with you painted toes, earrings, clothing, or anything else. If we cower under this type of pressure, then we are only harming ourselves and forcing ourselves farther into the back of the closet. We are also unconsciously admitting that we are "doing something wrong". It is important to think about the ramifications of allowing yourself to be intimidated.

JoAnnDallas
07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I have had GG customers compliment on my choice of colors on my toes. I even had one GG ask if she could borrow the polish I was having put on my toes. Once my wife was with me and she was tell this customer in the chair beside her that I was getting my toes polished. The customer remarked that she wished she could get her husband to come in and get his toes/nails done, since he had bad looking nails. One day this 12 year old girl looked at my polished toes and told me that her granddad always got his toes polished too. I just smiled at her.
I once asked my tech if many men got their toes polished and she said "More than you think do". I raised an eyebrow to that. LOL
Don't know if ALL nail salons are CD friendly, but have not found on yet that would not polish my toes or do a acrylic fill on my hands.
I once cracked a nail and while waiting for my wife while she was at the doctor, I stopped in this one nail salon, got my nail fixed and then the tech asked if I would like my nails polished. I declined, but though it was great that she asked. LOL

Jodi
07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I started getting professional manicures about 4 years ago. When I scheduled my first one, I just took pot luck on the nail tech that I got. On that first visit, when she started the manicure, I explained to her that I was a cd, and was looking to improve the appearance of my nails. She thanked me for telling her, as, she would have automatically trimmed them very short. I get clear lacquer put on my fingernails and get them done every 2-3 weeks.

After about 4 manicures, my tech asked if I had ever had a pedicure. My response was, "no" Her response was, "You need to schedule your first one". So, that day I scheduled my first pedicure. She scheduled me as her last appointment of the day as that was the first one she had free. As she had said, I very much enjoyed it. So relaxing. It was my tech who recommended that I get polish on my nails. I now get a pedicure once a month and have worn polish constantly ever since.

My next appointment is this Thursday.

Jodi

Sinthia
07-02-2007, 07:50 PM
If you want your nails done, just call and book an apointment. Mention that you would like to get your toes done, also. You get treated great and you will feel
good the rest of the day. I have had mine done several times, and the girl wants to do my toes again, as she liked the color I had her paint them last time.

Sedona
07-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Jamie,

I understand completely what you're saying, but basically, this issue is larger than the painting of nails. Most of us fall into two camps:

1. Pick your battles
2. Stir sh!t up

I don't know StacyN., and don't want to guess which ideology she applies to, but Jamie, just remember, that Stonewall-leading attitude you have (good for you BTW) isn't best for everyone. Our society would decend into chaos if everyone cried "foul" at every single perceived injustice done to them. If it's your thing (as it is mine on certain issues), write your congressman/woman, figure out PR, and inspire.

Cheers,

StacyNelson
07-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

I found a spa, not far away, that offers services for men and women. They use a private suite for their nail treatments and in about 90 minutes I can have a mani and pedi done together.

I emailed the owner and first off explained that I'm a guy loking to get my nails done and I want colored nail polish. There doesn't seem to be a problem.

For my first experience I wanted to avoid the strip mall places. This spa is a bit on the higher end and isn't cheap but I figure that I deserve it. Don't we all deserve to treat ourselves once in a while.

Now the big question ... what to wear?

Thanks again for your input

Stacy