PDA

View Full Version : I am being ridiculously open in my exuberance..

BarbaraTalbot
07-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Long so CLiff notes:
My boy (8) in heels is A-OK
My girl (10) that hates Pink is A-OK
Employees of Open-minded Bookstore are just that.

Bottom line, No one cares what you wear.

We needed to go to Bookman's to get a couple of game cartridges that we promised the kids for a while now. I wanted to see what they had on CD (they have a large alternative section.) and maybe a make-up tips book.

I was Ok with the small ones going 12, 10, 8 and 10mos. Then our 17 year old was coming too to see their compact disc section (not to be confused with the CD section)

Dee warned me I might not be able to discreetly browsing where I wanted to, and as she warned the kids kept breaking away from mom to see where dad is browsing. 12 yr old daughter didn't even blink at dad browsing beauty books.

OH! back up one. Dee asked 8 year old boy about her one missing 5" red pump, that she last saw as a pair on his feet playing a month or two ago. He didnt know but looked at our now FULL over the door shoe rack. His eyes went to the clear heeled 6" plus stripper mules of mine. He tried them on and announced he should wear them to Vegas (we are packing now) I was stunned and well wondering... he explained in those he can ride ALL the rides at Circus Circus...big smile. He pulled one by one his choices off the rack and one by one mixed in in no order they were his dad's. Only one he grabbed of moms was black peep-toe pumps with 4 " heels. He clomped out to show his sisters. The 10 year old is beautiful and photogenic and in her not wearing girly stuff phase. no real comment. We go to leave and the 10 year old protests that the flip flops the boy has on are girls shoes. He says so? No one will notice. She says people will laugh. He says so? We point out to her that no one says anything to her about not wanting to wear dresses..surreal to have this conversation.

So I see an alternative looking chick at the info booth alone finally and I go up and ask quietly but not whispering voice If she could direct me to books on crossdressing as far as style, make-up that sort of thing. She blinked...I am sure I looked not at all what she would expect, 5 oclock shadow, (or is the wife and five kids in tow??) She recovered and led out, I explained that I already checked the gay and lesbian section because sometimes it gets lumped in there. She said confidently, Oh, no it wouldnt be there at all!

She said if you have already tried Beauty, then maybe pop culture. She left me there, It was no help, but the validation was IMMENSELY helpful.

Back to Beauty. Earth Mother type was sitting as it transitioned to herbal remedies. She smiled up at me and said, just kick me if I get in the way..

I browsed, we chatted, I was obviously not finding what I was wanting, and she asked what I was looking for.

I said well I want to know about how to dress, and apply makeup. She was puzzled and I finally said the words, I have been exploring cross-dressing. Oh she said thats interesting. I explained that my wife is being very supportive, but she isnt that into makeup being a natural beauty (I thought the earth mother could appreciate that ~grin~) and that I need a little more help than she as far as beard cover and the like.

A few beats..then she says, maybe you just need to roleplay? Like maybe you could dress up like a knight or something. I laughed and explained we had done a bit of role play, but this seemed a little different somehow. She then asked if I was looking to dress conservatively as a woman or more glamorous. I said definitely conservative. she was surprised as her image (as was mine in the past ) was of drag queens.

Dee comes up says come on I'm juggling the kids..I thank her leave with Stephanie Seymores book.

I go to pay, the guy that looks like maybe he works to support his garage band, among other things says, I really like your nail polish (I forgot I was wearing it it is translucent pink pearl but the florescent lights really pooped them just then. His cashier buddy next to him liked my underdog t-shirt.

Patricia Danielle
07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
No I would call it being honest with everybody, but most of all being honest with yourself and not being ashamed of who you are. They did'nt make fun of you or call you a freak. So I would give a tip of the hat to them..Patricia..

marie354
07-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks for sharing your adventure.
It was very interesting hearing how y'all interacted there.
:hugs:

Holly
07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
I get so encouraged when I read posts like this one. It seems to me that more and more people are accepting (or at least not shocked). Oh, we've got a way to go, but baby, we've come a long, long way. Barbara, you're a great ambassador!