PDA

View Full Version : Becoming Annie

Roberta Lynn
07-02-2007, 09:49 AM
I read this article in the local paper Friday.
Some of the reactions to Annie are heartbreaking

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/lifestyles/449028,5_5_WA29_MAIN_S1.article

Siobhan Marie
07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Roberta, thank you so much for sharing that hun. It was heartbreaking to read. It's left at a complete and utter loss as to what else to say.

:hugs: Siobhán x

JennMW
07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I was a bit put off by the quote that they chose from Annie about dressing and makeup.

"It's interesting that I instinctively know how to do it,"

Maggie Kay
07-02-2007, 11:26 AM
I was a bit surprized by the makeup line too but I quickly remembered that with being TG one has to grapple with acceptance. Her comment was to attempt to convince us that she is a woman. I can relate to this because I do similar things. I look for any nuance, any bit of behavior or physical attribute that will support the idea that I am a female. Some are stereotypical and therefore subject to question. Just consider for a moment how difficult it is to have one of the last remaining stigmas hanging over us. Cancer and TB used to be considered shameful maladies. It was in the past thirty years that a single woman could not have her own bank accounts and utilities. We have come a long way but of all the social enlightenments, acceptance of TG is clearly the last one to happen.

JennMW
07-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I see your point Kay. It was only recently that I came to a similar realization. I wouldn't say that it is instinctive for me, but what was once a craving now feels natural and comfortable. It just feels right.

It is challenging to express thoughts and feelings in a sound bite. That is one reason why I put the onus on the author and not on Annie. :)

Teresa Amina
07-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Interesting she says that "People say I'm in denial." Actually those who say that about Annie are the ones in denial, denial that TG is real and not some "illness" or a "sin" to be overcome. The world has a long way to go...

AmberTG
07-02-2007, 02:49 PM
You sure got that right Teresa!!!
It's gonna be really tough for me to attempt the RLT here in the U.P. of Michigan, people just don't get it and this isn't some big city where I can just fade into the crowd. I'm gonna stand out like a sore thumb for a while if I start here.

Joy Carter
07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
If she claimed her sexual orentation as gay. She would have been protected under federal law. Something to consider if one of us is ever cornered.