PDA

View Full Version : My Reality

Phyliss
07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
On another part of the forum in a thread about "It was on clearance"
Karren Hutton says, "Anyone can do this, any time, any where.. Its not rocket science!! Lol. You just have to project that this is my reality... And nothing wrong with it and most people will not question it. "

I GET IT!!!! Having read this post a few times and thinking about the statement, "IT" finally dawned on me what Karren is saying. I can't put it in words just exactly how I understand the comment, but "understand" it I most assuredly do.
Like the guy on "Myth Busters" says , "I reject your reality and substitute my own" well, MY reality is,.....
Case on point, Just this afternoon, as I was picking up my grandson for YMCA Day Camp, I noticed that the young lady, (about 17 or 18) who was doing the "check out" list for the day, had some acrylic nails. I also noted that they were in dire need of a filling. I reached out to her hand and held her fingers, looked at them and with a wink I wispered in mock conspiracy, "You need a fill in dear" To which she replied that she was almost embarrassed to be out in public with them. I told her that I understood how she felt, as I showed her my nails, that also could use a filling. Got into a discussion about "long nails" and she mentioned that she's had them for so long that she feels funny without them. I allowed as how I was just begining to get used to them.
Went on to ask her where she had her nails done. Told me about the salon she goes to and I mentioned where I go, to which she replied that she had gone there a few times.
Looking under the table to see her feet I noted she was wearing sneakers, so I asked her what color were her toes. She mentioned that she didn't have any color on them at the moment and was thinking about doing something for the Summer. I told her where I go and that the owner was very good at her work. Walked around to the side of the table and slipped off my "Payless special" loafer to show her my toes which could just be seen under my taupe colored stockings. (Her comment? ) She bent over to get a closer look and said, "cute red color"
The entire conversation took less than five minutes, but the fact that we had it says something about "My Reality" and thinking "positive thoughts" that what I'm doing is perfectly normal and as a result the young lady was totally accepting of the fact the this "old grandfather" had acrylic finger nails and painted toes. I mean,.... doesn't everybody?

Sometimes , simply "understanding" makes everything very clear.

marie354
07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
That's a very good way to look at "it". Just be yourself and act naturally. How simple. I'm sure that it has eluded many of us for years until it "clicks" one day and the light goes on and you say... "Oh... That's just too easy! Why didn't I think of that before?"

Thanks Phyliss! :happy:

Phyliss
07-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Marie you are so correct. Example: shopping, the places I go, F.B., L.B., Payless, Dots, a few local lingerie shops, I made the comment in them that it's just too easy to shop anymore, there's no more "challenge" to it.

I guess I've gotten very comfortable with myself.

That is a good feeling.

Frankie-Dear
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I wanted a pair of femme sunglasses and a pair of large silver hoop earrings. Today, in Walmart, I passed a fellow who was browsing the men's sunglasses. I went on down to the women's, and picked up the biggest pair of Gucci-lookin' sunglasses I could find, put them on, without caring who was looking or what they thought, liked the way they looked, and put them in my cart.

Then I went over and picked out a nice set of earrings, and after that, I went and browsed the press-on nails. In the past, when I've been browsing girly stuff and women have come into the same aisle, I've retreated. This time, I just moved over so that they could look, and continued browsing. :heehee:

I think I'm finally starting to get it!! Duh.... :rolleyes::heehee:

Rachel Morley
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow, what an awesome post! you've got me thinking .... maybe I need to re-evaluate my position :thinking: I'm way too analyzing about what other's might be thinking about me.

Patricia Danielle
07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Well I never worried to much about what other people thought. If they don't know the truth they just make it up anyway. My outlook on it is what I tell them, you got your problems I've got mine. You know how it goes, then if thet can't take a hint I tell them you tend to your cows and I'll tend to mine. I never did get in to the gossip thing. Yea Karren I like myth busters too.. Patricia..

Valerie
07-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Well, I thought only Karren Hutton was my goddess and guru, but now Phyliss and Frankie come to join the inspirational altar! Thanks, girls! I love your courage and grace!

Valerie

Lovely Rita
07-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I love it Phyliss. I really like that you are making your reality.

Karen has been a heroe for many of us and I just love to see the Revolution move forward.

It is wonderful, It is inspiring, it is encouraging, it is just plain great.

Thank you Phyliss

Paige.
07-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Be as natural as you can be. Shed those awful thoughts or worries about being accpted and you will bust all the myths.

Billijo49504
07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Two weeks ago, I had some teen girls at a shopping center start laughing at me. I confronted them and told them just because I wasn't as young as they were or as good looking, that was no excuse for picking on me. They actually appolagised, because at first they thought I was a man dressed as a woman....BJ

Sinthia
07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
After reading this post yesterday, I knew that I had to stop being so timid about being seen in a skirt or dress. I have no problem going for a walk wearing panties, a bra with stuffing, a dress or skirt and top, even in the daytime. I do not wear a wig or makeup, so I do not pass. I have even filled up my car with gas while dressed. But I have never been inside a business while dressed. But the conversation that Phyliss had with that teen made me 'Get off my duff' and join the real world that so many of you have done.

Today I went to a credit union to make a deposit, wearing a skirt and top. I did not have my account number with me and the gentleman teller could not find my account in the system. Even another teller offered advice, but no luck. Several customers came and went, and three other tellers saw me, but nothing was said. I had to leave and go back home to find the account number, returning, and completed the transacton. At least 10 men and women saw me but no comments or looks were made. Wow! It was great

Joy Carter
07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
I just love Myth Busters!!! :D

Love Karren

The fear we all have about being out is just that. A Myth....Buster.

BTW I love that little red head, Miss Byron.:D

Phyliss
07-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I love it Phyliss. I really like that you are making your reality.

Karen has been a heroe for many of us and I just love to see the Revolution move forward.

It is wonderful, It is inspiring, it is encouraging, it is just plain great.

Thank you Phyliss

Thank you Rita, in case you didn't know it, I have a wonderful admiration for you and the things YOU do.

Well, I thought only Karren Hutton was my goddess and guru, but now Phyliss and Frankie come to join the inspirational altar! Thanks, girls! I love your courage and grace!

Valerie

Thank you very much for the wonderful compliment.
I'm not trying to "hold myself up as an example" I just do what I do. Multi many years ago, in another life, in another world, I joined a particular "fellowship" (had to, the way I looked "that" Saturday morning, I knew I had a problem) anyhow, I kinda became an activist for it. Would always make some sort of "excuse" when I went out to eat. Soon enough I realized that most people don't care and would rather not know. That realization has come home to me again. As long as I'm not being too obnoxious about what I'm doing, then most people "don't care and would rather not know."
I guess "the lightbulb" finally went on in my head.

JoAnnDallas
07-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I totally agree.
One day we were in Lowes and while checking out the GG asked if those were my real nails. I said "Kinda, their mine but they have a acrylic coating". She then asked where I had got them done at and how much it costs. I tild her and also said I had an appointment the next Saturday, to get them cut back a little and a fill. Wife mentioned I also got a pedicure when I went in to get my nails done. She said "Cool". I was showing her my hands and she said that they look great and suggested I get a lite Pink polish on them to highlite them.

It was great, she had no problem with a guy having acrylic nails and acted like she was talking toa girlfriend. LOL
BTW, that last time I went in, I did get my nails polished in a lite Pink. Sally Handsons "Cotton Candy".

Fab Karen
07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
In the past, when I've been browsing girly stuff and women have come into the same aisle, I've retreated. This time, I just moved over so that they could look, and continued browsing. :heehee:

I think I'm finally starting to get it!! Duh.... :rolleyes::heehee:

I can look back & recall the days when I would wait EVEN IN A THRIFT SHOP to see, is anyone nearby? Are they looking? Quick, grab that thing there.:rolleyes:
Life is too short for that kind of purely self-induced stress ( and doctors say that's bad for your health ). These days I can stand next to a GG looking through panties for my size, color, etc.