PDA

View Full Version : Explain these terms please

marykay
07-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Since I joined this forums I have being hearing various terms to describer us.
Can someone explain the difference between these terms.
CD: Crossdresser
TV: Transvestite
TS: transexual
TG: Transgender F/M

Anna

sandra-leigh
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Since I joined this forums I have being hearing various terms to describer us.
Can someone explain the difference between these terms.
CD: Crossdresser
TV: Transvestite
TS: transexual
TG: Transgender F/M

The meanings are in flux, and the usage varies from place to place.

In the area I live in, the meanings would be roughly:

Crossdresser: someone who wears the clothes of the other gender
transvestite: roughly, someone who derives sexual pleasure from wearing the clothes of the other gender. Medically, transvestite is used to described the fetish of WTCOTOG, where "fetish" is medically defined in terms of "usually requiring the target object or behaviour in order to achieve sexual satisfaction". (So, if it gives you a kick but you have no sexual difficulty without it, then it isn't a "fetish" in medical terms, and so wouldn't be Transvestite.) I have seen some people in the UK write that "transvestite" is considered the proper term for "crossdresser" there, without the "fetish" connotation.

Transsexual: someone whose psychological gender does not match their birth gender; someone who "was born in the wrong body".

Transgender: Can be used as the collective term for all of the above, but on this forum if someone specifically identifies themselves as transgender, then it often indicates that they consider themselves to be a mix of male and female genders.

Someone who identifies themselves as publically transgender on this forum is often indicating that they are willing to publicly display a mix of gender traits (e.g., "a guy with a skirt"). If someone identifies themselves here as a public crossdresser but not as transgender, then often it will mean that they endevour to "pass" -- to be publicly perceived as being a member of the other sex.

SandyR
07-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I like to wear womens cloths....Guess I would be considered a "CD". Go figure...

Hugs...

SandyR

Julogden
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I generally agree with Tess-Leigh's definitions, except for the transgender term. Also, transvestite is also often more of a clinical term that some, but not all, equate with crossdresser.

As she said, the transgender term is currently mainly used as an umbrella term to include all gender variant people, but it was originally a term used to describe someone living full-time in the gender role opposite their genetic sex, but without having gender reassignment surgery, a category currently referred to, sometimes, as non-operative TS.

It seems though that so many people have put their own spin on the various labels that it's difficut to get everyone on the same page regarding the meanings of those terms.

Carol:hugs:

Joy Carter
07-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm transgendered. I change from man to woman easily. Transvetite is such a harsh word.

Valerie Nicole
07-04-2007, 01:23 AM
I stopped trying to find out the universal meanings for those words a long time ago...there are none, from what I can tell. Everyone seems to have a different definition for each word, lol. Though, I guess tess-leigh pretty much gave you the definitions I tend to agree with and use.

Sheri 4242
07-04-2007, 01:50 AM
It seems though that so many people have put their own spin on the various labels that it's difficut to get everyone on the same page regarding the meanings of those terms. Carol

I pretty much agree with Tess Leigh. I generally have a little more of an expanded definition of "transgendered," but for now, what she said is good enough. And, she was headed in the right direction with "transvestite" -- except I would have added that in the U.S., many "mtf heterosexual CDers" don't like the term transvestite (or variation thereof, like "Tranny"). Across the pond in the UK, for example, they use the TV term liberally and without this problem!

I stopped trying to find out the universal meanings for those words a long time ago . . . (e)veryone seems to have a different definition for each word, lol. Though, I guess tess-leigh pretty much gave you the definitions I tend to agree with and use.

I think Valerie is leaving out just a tiny piece of info: there are some on here who bristle harshly when you start using these terms, screaming "don't label me." I don't like labels and stereotypes any more than the next person, BUT I don't think it is labeling to have some basic understanding of, and agreement on, what these words mean. Isn't this the point of language and dictionaries?!!! How are we supposed to communicate and talk intelligently about issues if we don't have some basic definitions for the main words we use?!!! It can get incredulous!!! I won't call names, but there is one girl on here who has a real burr in her saddle about the word "transgendered." It is crazy to get that upset about this, though, b/c many on here have simply been seeking some semblence of agreement and standardization so we can have intelligent discussions, debates, etc. (I think the person I am refering to doesn't like it b/c under what many of us agree that TG means, she falls into that category and, for whatever reason, she just goes ballistic about being included in that grouping. In the main, though, it just isn't worth getting that upset about!!!)

Alex!
07-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Keep in mind people like to muddle things up just for muddling's sake. Sometimes, this is to make the person somehow special. At other times, this is for political reasons. There are many reasons, come to think of it.

I will speak only for that which I know for certain - crossdresser. Using a particular culture for context, this is nothing more or less than a man wearing clothing and accoutrements typically worn by a woman, or a woman wearing clothing and accoutrements typically worn by a man. The reasons why someone crossdresses are apparently quite diverse and not captured at such a high level, presumably why there is much confusion out there as to what to call many of us. I'm just a guy that likes to wear female clothing. What I am curious about is this - would be as interested in doing this if women wore nothing but burkas everywhere? Probably not. Part of the appeal with Western female fashion is the diversity of color, fabric, and style, plus the makeup. Men's fashions are comparatively dull, unless you opt for some sort of fringe fashion, most of which is juvenile, in my opinion. I do like to wear tailored suits as a man, and often wear them. I also like a good pair of jeans and a t-shirt. But that's about it in terms of my interest in men's fashions.

I prefer to be called a crossdresser, and am mildly offended if refered to as a transvestite, transgendered, transexual, t-girl, gurl, sissy, or any other similar term. Not because I find the concepts offensive, but because I am neither of those.

Sheri 4242
07-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Let me add a couple of things for the sake of clarification.

First, some people go straight to Wikipedia and consider what they find there as gospel. This has happened on here several times, and I recall one instance in particular where it was cited as "the" definitive explanation for the word "transgendered."

Well, first, an encyclopedia is NEVER considered as an academically sound resource. Most competent educators may allow students to utilize the encyclopedia as a "starting point" -- a place to get some direction so they will be able to find scholarly resources, but that's it. Wikipedia should be viewed and utilized in this light -- but with a further very skeptical eye!!! Why??? Well, it is b/c Wikipedia is the least scholarly of all popular encyclopedias -- and this is b/c random people can add, subtract, and edit with impunity -- and they may well not have the facts right, OR they may be promoting some agenda. So, Wikipedia IS a place to start -- to gain direction, BUT, to gain true scholarly, academically-sound information, you must follow the path that takes you to primary and secondary resources.

Wikipedia notwithstanding, in psychology and psychiatry (as well as current general medical literature) TG is an umbrella term and does not mean that a male who falls under the term is absolutely one who wants to live life as a woman. I'll take that which is academic over Wikipedia any day -- and every educator I know (and that is quite a few) would never accept Wikipedia as an authoritative or acceptable resource! In fact, under the academic terminology, one who wants to live full time as a woman or who wants SRS is considered to be at one extreme of that broad umbrella definition.

The common academic definition of trangendered would be: One with a cross gender identification that, on one end of the scale is expressed as a need or desire to crossdress, partially (from a single article of clothing) to fully, with or without the goal of achieving sexual arousal, to those who desire to pass as the other sex, to those with a stated desire to be the other sex (desiring to live or be treated as the other sex). On the TS side of the scale there is usually persistent discomfort with one's sense of their gender and their anatomical sex. A transgendered person can also be considered to be one whose gender identity is, to some greater or lesser degree, inconsistent with with their sexual anatomy so that one's sense of gender is somewhere between feminine and masculine. To continue with academically sound, current psychological literature, "We now know that women who get in touch with their masculine side, and men who discover the 'woman' within are better off for doing so. An androgynous personality incorporates positive qualities of both, and research is showing that people who fall within this context are far more successful and happier."

Transgender identification and behaviors fall on a continuum between that which has always been held to be traditionally maculine and that which has always been held to be traditionally feminine.

No LABELS -- No STEREOTYPING -- No BOXING ANYONE IN -- just a way to communicate (and know we are all on the same page)!!!

Bobbie Jo
07-04-2007, 03:44 AM
I talked to a couple of friends ,and they didn't know,but I made, suggestions, but all I got out of these friends of mine, was gay and fag. I told her that 90% of crossdresser's are hetrosexual. "No way",she said,then she said, "If your a man, and you put on dresses, and play dress-up,your, gay"
Couldn't even talk to this woman..So narrow minded....
Does anybody know why were a different breeed???

Kether
07-04-2007, 08:48 AM
After years of reading and thinking and reading and thinking etc ..... I consider my self to be transgender cos I feel covered in all areas (even though labels blar blar ) and I feel more freedom with this pigeon hole (even though pigeon holes blar blar ) eg. I love dressing up in women clothes. I wish I had been born female. I would have a sex change if it wasn't for my GF and children whom I love very dearly. I can become very sexually aroused when dressed if I imagine sex as a woman, but can be dressed for days with out even thinking of sex, also my partner works so I stay at home and do all the housework washing cleaning etc, and love this very much, bored by male conversation, female conversation fabulous. Male hobbies dull female hobbies fabulous need I go on. Could a just say nicely Transvestite even though I do not consider my self one I find not nice or TV and I am from UK.

Sarah.
07-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Crossdresser: someone who wears the clothes of the other gender
transvestite: roughly, someone who derives sexual pleasure from wearing the clothes of the other gender.

I think it's more of a complicated spectrum than this and that there's always varying degrees of sexual energy in everything we desire to do. Given that, who cares about labels?