PDA

View Full Version : Help! Just Getting Started

Tophia
07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I've wanted to crossdress my entire life. I am 25 now and am finally "man" enough to start dressing like a woman.

I am just getting started and kinda on my own. Does anyone have any good tips or advice for beginners? Where to find this and where to do that?

Thank you all so much!~!

Tophia;)

Shelly Preston
07-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Tophia

:welcom: to the forum

Most regular shops will have the items you need and you a catalogue will help you with sizing or you will find one online

Just remember the shops want your money not the reason your buying it

You can also use a lot of online shops when you know your size :D

Sarah.
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty much in the same position as you. I went with an online store specializing in CD accessories and was able to find a few good things to get started with. Expect to spend one or two hundred dollars.

Holly
07-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Well, here's a couple of suggestions... try picking up an alternative newspaper or magazine in a nearby metropolitan area and check for add for dressing services, photography, etc., and call to make an appointment. Google Tri-Ess and find out if there is a chapter near you. Contact them and make arrangements to attend a meeting. If you are truly "man enough" to start dressing as a woman, go to a woman's retail out let know to be TG friendly (such as Fashion Bug or Lane Bryant) and find a friendly sales associate and simply tell them what you are looking for and ask for their help. I know that it sounds intimidating but I promise you that you will be served with courtesy and respect. It may help your cause to go during off peak times, either early or late in the day. Best wishes.

Joy Carter
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I can tell you that dressing from one of those TV boutique places is expensive and not much for selection. Plus most clothing there are for dressing sexy. Buy where the GGs buy. And women's sizes are never the same from brand to brand. Plus unless you can try it on save your receipt. But if you can't try it on, I'd buy more than one size so you don't have to keep going back.
One thing about sizes. Women's sizes are for fuller figure and misses are a slimer fit. Go into some of the on line stores and find their fit/size chart. Remember you don't have hips unless your one of the lucky ones. So allow the garment to fit you upper body then try padding the lower half. I have had some failures along the way. But I think I have gotten a pretty good handle on it now.

HAPPY SHOPPING !:D

Alex!
07-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, here are a few things that are worth the investment - and I really, really must emphasize that you should fight the urge to purge. This is a common behavior among us crossdressers, particularly when starting out in earnest. You will regret it and besides which it will be a waste of money.

Anyway, I recommend buying a pair of boob forms (around $150), a padded panty (you can find one at Fredericks of Hollywood), and a wig that suits you (don't get something you feel is sexy or alluring - focus on what looks natural for you - that is not easy, to be sure). Also, buy a waist cincher and a bra (remember the size breast form you got, though). When you have those things, measure your body so you know what size girl clothes to get.

Start buying a few outfits - I recommend looking through a catalog or online for a complete ensemble being modeled. For example, find an outfit that looks attractive to you, be realistic about size, fit, and your age, and pay attention to what kind of shoes, jewelry, and other things the model is wearing with the outfit. If you like the whole look, buy everything you see with that outfit (sometimes, the models wear stuff not offered by the companyy, which sucks - but you can find something similar elsewhere).

I recommend the following online stores, each offers an excellent, classy, sophisticated wardrobe, as well as fun clothes (like mini skirts, fun tops, etc.):

www.wigs.com - great selection and awesome service
Boston Proper (www.bostonproper.com) - pricey, but excellent
Newport News (www.newport-news.com) - nice styles
Chadwicks (www.chadwicks.com) - nice fashions, low price
Lew Magram (www.lewmagram.com) - awesome biz clothes
Speigel (www.speigel.com)
www.shoes.com or www.zappos.com - awesome shoe and boot selections
One Hanes Place (www.onehanesplace.com) - great place for standard underwear stuff
MyTights (www.mytights.com) - the best place to find hosiery, in my opinion (great selection of European styles, for example)
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) - I buy my artificial nails here
www.drugstore.com - I buy most of my makeup through this outfit - very good service and good prices
Colortration (www.colortration.com/index.htm) - awesome foundations for folks like us :)

Marla151
07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I just recently started in earnest after my last purge of my nighties and things I would wear around the house when I was alone. I just went to my local thrift store, it was cheap and easy for me to try on things to find out what fit, what styles actually looked good on me verses what I thought would.
For the wig I went to a wig shop and the sales associates were very helpful and friendly. I got the feeling I wasn't the first guy to buy a wig. I was sorely tempted to buy a wig online but I am glad I didn't as the styles I was looking at online were nowhere near what actually fit or looked good/natural on me. I was able to try on several different styles and colors and now I know what to look for if I do buy online. Plus they were great at telling me how to style and take care of my wig.
For shoes I went to Payless. I was able to measure my foot size and try on shoes. It's odd though because some styles fit me in size 11 whereas I am supposed to wear a size 12. There is also an online store snaz75.com (http://www.snaz75.com/index.html) that has a selection of shoes and boots up to size 16. They are reasonably priced and you can find some great deals in their clearance section.
I've also learned a lot from reading the forums here once I found it. I'm not as experienced as the rest of the gals here but this is what I found to be helpful when I started out on my own. Hope it helps.

Congrats and good luck.

Tophia
07-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey...thanks so much for your advice...about the boob forms and padded panties...I know I need those but there are SOOOO many options out there....any suggestions???

marie354
07-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Some of the places that Andreamfor mentioned also have padded panties as well.
One place that she forgot to mention is the sister site of this one...
Suddenly Fem (http://www.crossdresser.com)
It's worth looking at too.
:hugs:

Patricia Danielle
07-04-2007, 11:38 PM
I find Dillards to be really good too. But it depends on how discret you want to be. Me personally I don't care who sees me buying my girlie things. They are just worried about making the sale..Patricia..